Sandringham v Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

Do you know how many top sides start their young players as small/mid sized forwards to let them ease into the game at the top level and then promote them to the midfield if/when they show they are ready for it? All of them you say? Would that be right?

Plus last year he played against Box Hill as a mid in a best on performance, I reckon he will be a good mid for us.

So master are you saying he should be in midfield? I agree all play forward/ midfield. But he is not playing in the mids at all. He did play great last year when in the mids, and that was after his his first stress fracture to his back. Cannot see why we would want to change his position this year.

So master are you saying he should be in midfield? I agree all play forward/ midfield. But he is not playing in the mids at all. He did play great last year when in the mids, and that was after his his first stress fracture to his back. Cannot see why we would want to change his position this year.

I'd be playing Taggert 50/50 forward/mid at VFL level. Midfield is where you are around the play the most. I'd do the same with Kent at VFL level.

Then start them off forward at AFL level with the aim of them getting part of the midfield rotation as they increase endurance.

It's exactly what Geelong have been/will be doing with SJ, Stokes, Menzel, Christensen, Motlop, Duncan, Schroder etc.

Not at all. Casey play the way Neeld and the MFC coaching staff want, and Welsh spends time at MFC so that the strategies align. On game day at Casey, the Melb development coaches are the line coaches for their areas, coaching the same way and with the same goals as with the seniors.

Fully integrated. Casey is a Melb. reserves team in all but name.

As one of the other thread states, the problem is not Neeld, it's the inability of inexperienced players to take their Casey form into the AFL, where the pressure and intensity is so much greater. A couple of turnovers, a few opposition goals and they crumble. Confidence, self-confidence, experience. Takes time.

still trying to sell it?

With respect to the question of alignment, it's not just a question of what Melbourne should do. Let's hope that Casey doesn't commence divorce proceedings from the dysfunctional Melbourne Football Club. Who could blame them if they wanted to go their own way? In my view, the best long-term solution is for Melbourne to have its own reserves/VFL team. But that, should not be on the mind of the Board and Peter Jackson right now. There are more pressing matters...

POLISH AND DEMOLISH by K C from Casey

The Casey Scorpions put on a polished display in gloomy conditions at Trevor Barker Beach Road Oval to demolish Sandringham by 65 points on Saturday.

Apart from an earlier arm wrestle during which the home team kicked three goals to two in the first half of the opening term, the Scorpions held the ascendency throughout the match despite a latter flutter when the Zebs kicked two goals in the shadows of the half time siren to get within 18 points.

As has often happened in the season to date, Casey produced the goods in the all-important "premiership quarter" when it exerted enormous pressure across the ground and kept the home team goalless while kicking three goals four behinds. This set up a slashing final term wherein the Scorpions coasted to win by more than ten goals. Sandy was held goalless from late in the second term until after the 15 minute mark of the last.

Max Gawn led the forwards with some strong marking and four goals (and won plenty of hit outs) and the beanpole ruckman overshadowed young up and coming future start Jesse Hogan who also was good in the air and on the ground. Sam Blease and young Jimmy Toumpas were exciting while Tom Couch, Danny Nicholls and James Magner collected plenty of possessions in a dominant and matchwinning midfield. Youngster Mitch Gent also had a big game and is showing noticeable improvement on a weekly basis.

Rory Taggert is another youngster whose performance would have gladdened the hearts of Demon fans. Like many others at the club his advancement has been hindered by injury - in this case a debilitating back problem. He was dangerous all afternoon and booted four goals. He has talent but might not make the step up until later in the season.

Casey meets Collingwood on Saturday in the preview of the big Queens Birthday fixture at the MCG. A big crowd is expected at Casey Fields.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Dominic Barry 5 kicks 9 handballs 14 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles

Sam Blease 14 kicks 2 handballs 16 disposals 3 marks 10 tackles 2 goals 2 behinds

Mitch Clisby 15 kicks 10 handballs 25 disposals 8 marks 5 tackles

Tom Couch 22 kicks 11 handballs 33 disposals 1 mark 13 tackles 2 behinds

Troy Davis 6 kicks 6 handballs 12 disposals 4 marks 5 tackles

Max Gawn 11 kicks 4 handballs 15 disposals 9 marks 1 tackle 35 hit outs 4 goals 3 behinds

Tom Gillies 10 kicks 3 handballs 13 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles

Jesse Hogan 7 kicks 8 handballs 15 disposals 6 marks 2 tackles 1 goal 1 behind

Neville Jetta 4 kicks 4 handballs 8 disposals 1 mark 6 tackles 1 goal

James Magner 19 kicks 8 handballs 27 disposals 11 marks 8 tackles 1 goal 1 behind

James Sellar 13 kicks 5 handballs 18 disposals 9 marks 1 tackle

Jake Spencer 6 kicks 5 handballs 11 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 24 hit outs 1 goal 3 behinds

Rory Taggert 9 kicks 3 handballs 12 disposals 6 marks 1 tackle 4 goals

Jimmy Toumpas 13 kicks 9 handballs 22 disposals 5 marks 5 tackles

Josh Tynan 11 kicks 6 handballs 17 disposals 4 marks 12 tackles 1 goal

Casey Scorpions 4.3.27 9.6.60 12.10.82 18.15.123

Sandringham 3.2.20 6.6.42 6.9.45 8.10.58

Goals

Casey Scorpions Gawn Taggert 4 Nicholls 3 Blease 2 Hogan Jetta Magner Spencer Tynan

Sandringham Dennis-Lane 4 Lee 2 Curren Michaliades

Best

Casey Scorpions Nicholls Blease Sellar Couch Gawn Taggert

Sandringham Shakallis Dennis-Lane Cockie Saunders Dunell Lee

In the development league, Casey started slowly but a good fightback in the third term saw the Scorps ahead at the final break before the home side fell in by 3 points.

Casey Scorpions 1.1.7 2.1.13 5.3.33 6.5.41

Sandringham 2.2.14 3.3.21 4.7.31 6.8.44

Goals

Casey Scorpions Boland Hill McInnes Matthews Riseley Rosier

Sandringham Taylor 2 Batson Howes McKay Teirnan

Best

Casey Scorpions Lindsay Hill Pollard Riseley Anderson Roberts

Sandringham Taylor Teirnan Maitland Williams Ong Coates

I'd be playing Taggert 50/50 forward/mid at VFL level. Midfield is where you are around the play the most. I'd do the same with Kent at VFL level.

Then start them off forward at AFL level with the aim of them getting part of the midfield rotation as they increase endurance.

It's exactly what Geelong have been/will be doing with SJ, Stokes, Menzel, Christensen, Motlop, Duncan, Schroder etc.

Agree 'master', that's what I would be doing too.

Went and watched the game yesterday. What is the go with Hogans set shot routine. He starts ok then a few steps before he kicks his left foot ends up behind his right foot. Is he going to be another example of the way we develop our juniors.

works for Kennedy and he is currently leading the Coleman.

Serious question....what is a beanpole ruckman?

Heard this term so many times and I know it means tall and skinny but what actually is a beanpole? Never seen one of those...

bean·pole [been-pohl] Show IPA
noun
a tall pole for a bean plant to climb on.
Informal. a tall, lanky person.

anyone able to shed light on the jumper numbers for the Melbourne players when they play for Casey?

I've watched the highlights and can only recognise the players that have played regular games for the Demons.

73 is Taggert, 72 is Barry, 58 is Tynan, 45 is Hogan of course........they are all in numbers over 50, think Couch is in 60 something

Hells where did you watch the highlights?

On the Club Website

my guess its a stick or pole that beans , grown on , or climb , wgaf

Serious question....what is a beanpole ruckman?

Heard this term so many times and I know it means tall and skinny but what actually is a beanpole? Never seen one of those...

long as not beano (from blazing saddles ) climbing up there

my guess its a stick or pole that beans , grown on , or climb , wgaf