Figured Head Coach for Long term benefit!

Dee1987

As we all know what the club so desperately needs a figured head, no only for the on field sake but for the corporates and sponsors. A bit of strange controversy in a good sense needs to be bought to the club. We for the last 50 years have portrayed a very dull boring feel around the MFC.

I wonder how different things would have been back in 2007 if Kevin Sheedy was appointed coach? Not just on field but off?

The next coach almost must have a flag or 2 next to their names weather it be playing or coaching and must be a good mentor, firm on players and expectations. Our dream coach would no doubt have to be Clarkson but, I struggle to see why he would want to leave the hawks.

Realistically our candidates are: Paul Roos, Mark Williams, Rodney Eade and possibly Brett Ratten!

Mark Williams appears to be the best candidate having played in the collingwood 1990 flag, coached port to 2004 flag, 2007 grand final and numerous other finals series

• Like 2

Agree with a lot of what you've said.

I've raised the prospect of taking a leaf out of the Swans books in the early - mid 90's when they got Barassi to fix their problems that we do the same but with Northey.

Surround him with the likes of Sumich, Tudor, Bassett etc, any of whom that could take over from swooper in say 3 years time.

Doubt it would happen but it would certainly generate a lot of publicity and excitment and if there's a better coach out there of generating an us against them mentality then I'd like to see them! He's a great coach, there's a reason he's coached the most games without a premiership to his name.

As we all know what the club so desperately needs a figured head, no only for the on field sake but for the corporates and sponsors. A bit of strange controversy in a good sense needs to be bought to the club. We for the last 50 years have portrayed a very dull boring feel around the MFC.

I wonder how different things would have been back in 2007 if Kevin Sheedy was appointed coach? Not just on field but off?

The next coach almost must have a flag or 2 next to their names weather it be playing or coaching and must be a good mentor, firm on players and expectations. Our dream coach would no doubt have to be Clarkson but, I struggle to see why he would want to leave the hawks.

Realistically our candidates are: Paul Roos, Mark Williams, Rodney Eade and possibly Brett Ratten!

Mark Williams appears to be the best candidate having played in the collingwood 1990 flag, coached port to 2004 flag, 2007 grand final and numerous other finals series

I want Neeld to stay.

The four candidates you've mentioned took a long time to forge a pathway to success, with the latter 2 being replaced quick smart.

We are not the only club that is going through rebuilding or relevance issues.

I want Neeld to stay.

The four candidates you've mentioned took a long time to forge a pathway to success, with the latter 2 being replaced quick smart.

I certainly want him to stay till the end of the year at the very least. If Peter Jackson (through the board) decide that he needs to go then, well so be it, but they better make sure they have a good replcement. It would be unfair to give this task to another rookie coach like was given to Neeld and Bailey before him. If they were to go down the rookie path they may as well give Neeld his final year.

• Like 1

I want Neeld to stay.

I don't mind waiting - as long as there are signs of continual improvement. Since Neeld has come to the club we have only got worse. Neeld is no fast route to success anyway.

We are the only club going through a double - triple rebuild though

Edited by Young Dee

Sheedy coaches GWS - young team building with a few retirement age players, no wins this season...er

Eade - could not win a flag with the Bulldogs

Ratten - could not coach a team full of No 1 draft picks to a flag

Roos and Williams have already been covered above...........the playing list can't be swapped over with the coach

Sheedy coaches GWS - young team building with a few retirement age players, no wins this season...er

Eade - could not win a flag with the Bulldogs

Ratten - could not coach a team full of No 1 draft picks to a flag

Roos and Williams have already been covered above...........the playing list can't be swapped over with the coach

Sheedy isn't coaching GWS he just does a bit of coaching whilst being the promotional guy.

Last year Williams was coaching them and whilst they weren't hard to beat they were hard to play against. They played a great style of footy and looked set for very good things. This year Leon Cameron has been in charge and they've looked like they've lost ground on where they were last year.

Choco would be an interesting choice. I have no doubt that there is a hell of a lot of animosity towards GWS and the way they dudded him. Could generate a genuine grudge match for us for a little extra publicity.

I don't think the Rat has what it takes to be a senior coach, but I'd take him as midfield coach in a heartbeat.

I'm not 100% sold on Eade. He seems a little shaky in finals. I don't think he ever won a premiership did he?

Roos would be the other good option along with Choco. He has a good record, has won in finals and has a great pedigree with player development.

The difference is in nearly 2 years of his coaching our players have somewhat seemed to have gone backwards badly, you dont just lose your potential and talent in the space of a year or so!! The players clearly do respect him or his philosophy's.

Sheedy isn't coaching GWS he just does a bit of coaching whilst being the promotional guy.

Last year Williams was coaching them and whilst they weren't hard to beat they were hard to play against. They played a great style of footy and looked set for very good things. This year Leon Cameron has been in charge and they've looked like they've lost ground on where they were last year.

If you don't think Sheedy is coaching GWS, then you haven't watched the vision during the games they have played in

The difference is in nearly 2 years of his coaching our players have somewhat seemed to have gone backwards badly, you dont just lose your potential and talent in the space of a year or so!! The players clearly do respect him or his philosophy's.

This was covered in another topic, that is a simplistic view, nobody knows what is going on inside the Club, what I have observed of Neeld he is not doing anything different from any of the other coaches I have observed over the years, so therefore there is no reason not to respect him or his philosophies

If you are looking for an example and the mindset of the players, have a read about Geelong between 2000 and 2004, that turned only because Costa had the balls to stand by Bomber Thompson as he worked through all the issues they had.

A figure head coach... Has the crazy reached an all time high on this forum or what? How about a coach who actually can and will coach?

How about David Schwarz as the figure head coach? He could juggle it with being the figure head president.

• Like 1

Aah Satyricnhome is back telling us all everything is Hunky Dory within the walls of our club.

But also says he doesn't really know what is going on, but that Neeld "looks" like any other coach so he has no cause to respect or disrespect him.

I call that sitting on the fence to the extreme.

And the idea of sitting around for the next 6 months doing nothing but hoping it all clicks together is not an option even worth considering.

The players are not putting in.

That is plain to see. Why are they not motivated to put in?

Is it Neeld?

Do they still feel betrayed by Mclardy over 186?

Both?

Has Neeld come to the end of his repitiore so his words and advice are hollow?

It's across the whole list.

Something inside smells very bad and needs immediate attention.

I'm not 100% sold on Eade. He seems a little shaky in finals. I don't think he ever won a premiership did he?

Fair dinkum - what a ridiculous comment - We can only dream of finals !! He got a similarly underesourced club into what - 3 successive prelims ?? and the Swans into a Grannie - Pretty sound credentials I would have thought..

This was covered in another topic, that is a simplistic view, nobody knows what is going on inside the Club, what I have observed of Neeld he is not doing anything different from any of the other coaches I have observed over the years, so therefore there is no reason not to respect him or his philosophies

If you are looking for an example and the mindset of the players, have a read about Geelong between 2000 and 2004, that turned only because Costa had the balls to stand by Bomber Thompson as he worked through all the issues they had.

Where have you observed Neeld? On the telle and at the footy like everyone else? Are you involved at the club? Im not having a dig I just dont know what your actual position is.

Edited by Jonesbag

As a coach? No. He did however take a similar club in the Bulldogs to 3 consecutive prelims and with a bit of luck would've pinched a flag. He also took Sydney to a grand final after they'd been a basket-case for years and helped steady them as a club moving forward.

As a player he won 4-5 premierships with Hawthorn from memory in the 70s-80s.

He has what it takes. I don't think he is interested in coaching anymore though.

• Like 1

Aah Satyricnhome is back telling us all everything is Hunky Dory within the walls of our club.

But also says he doesn't really know what is going on, but that Neeld "looks" like any other coach so he has no cause to respect or disrespect him.

I call that sitting on the fence to the extreme.

And the idea of sitting around for the next 6 months doing nothing but hoping it all clicks together is not an option even worth considering.

The players are not putting in.

That is plain to see. Why are they not motivated to put in?

Is it Neeld?

Do they still feel betrayed by Mclardy over 186?

Both?

Has Neeld come to the end of his repitiore so his words and advice are hollow?

It's across the whole list.

Something inside smells very bad and needs immediate attention.

You really do need to improve either your reading or comprehension skills because they are sadly lacking when it comes to reading my posts.

Everything is not hunky dory, that is plainly obvious, but what I said was I have observed Neeld and his coaching, at training, on the telly, speaking to players, speaking to other coaches, speaking to other watchers of footy......what he is doing is no different to the other 17 coaches at the moment and 10 or so of them are not having the problems we are having.

I have also watched/talked/listened/observed the players at both training and other occasions and then on game day.

There is a problem with game day, but my belieif is the issue lays with the players, not that they disrespect Neeld or won't play for him, but the fact that they wilt under the slightest pressure and the on field leadership we require is at the moment not good enough

Every issue we have is fixable, experience and battle hardended bodies will stop the wilting and the on field leadership will sort itself out as well, we haven't had consistency there either, the only three real constants have been Jones, Garland and Frawley and they have been the most consistent......Trengove, McKenzie, Byrnes, Dawes have all missed games this season for one reason or another

Will a new coach be able to fix these problems, personally I don't think so, we will still be inexperienced , we may sneak a win through the sheer euphoria but then fall off the cliff again

I just want the hysteria to die down and the realisation as to where we are sink in, we have the second most inexperienced list in the AFL, so we are exactly where modern football dictates we are.

Do you really think I enjoy going to the footy to watch us being smashed er no, but I also realise that this is just footy, and if everybody just stands thick with the Club we will get through it, as per my above, find some of the supporter board content from the Cats from 2000 to 2004, you will see what I mean

And please get over your McLardy fixation, as far as I can remember he was playing that day at Skilled

And also you are not inside the Club on a day to day basis so the only odour your olfactory system is picking up is from some of the more punget posts on this board.

Thanks also for reading my posts and continually respond to them when you say you don't read them

Edited by Satyriconhome

I always read your post Satyriconhome. I find delusional people's writing somewhat entertaining.

The players are not trying on match day...when it counts.

Why this is happening is political..it has to be.

Unresolved politics. Players with no passion.

An empty club.

Neeld may be doing it all but he is not hitting the spot.

The experiment has failed sadly.

Time to rectify properly this time. Not in haste like last time.

Head hunt the BEST.

People get over Sheedy. he has said if he was offered the coaching job back in 2007 he would have knocked it back. So he was never on the cards.

I want to see how Neeld goes when we have our best 22 on the park. Where we have grimes and viney in the middle, clarke and dawes up forward. See what happens there. yes I know 4 players wont help in those thrashings but at least we would get the ball out of the middle and have to tall targets to hit. Both are great marks.