Neeld is not the problem

Dr. Mubutu

As pointed out on radio today if neeld does go it will be the 2nd coach gone in the space of 3 years so the players and there attitude have to be looked at as well.

2nd first year coach gone in the space of 3 years.

There is always a risk in taking first year coaches.

The MFC has a good list of players and potential coaches candidates will see that, hopefully we get the next appointment right, because the last 2 we have shanked.

I look at performances like today and realise our list is no good. The reason our list is no good is because of Neeld. He raped this list. I feel sorry for our next coach. Bailey at least left the next coach something to work with. Apart from a decent forward line there is little upside to this list. VFL battlers.

I'm sorry, which elite midfielders did Neeld sack?

I totally agree with RalphusMaximus .......dont sack Neeld now. I believe he has the players .....if you were maybe at the game instead of watching on tv or listening on the radio ......so many of hawthorns goals were from our turnovers & bad decisions . That is caused in part by inexperience & lack of confidence. That turns around quickly with more game time, more time with each other & some of our experienced players back in the side. Replacing neeld may appease the ever voracious media & impatient supporters but will do nothing for the psyche of the players or the finances of the club. Unless someone of the quality of a paul roos or the like turns up tomorrow ....lets just get the off field part of the club right & let the rest of the season unfold. Funny we give coaches like malthouse, Thompson, Clarkson years to win a flag, but the afl is littered with coaches who never got the chance to see what they could do.

• Like 2

The MFC has a good list of players and potential coaches candidates will see that, hopefully we get the next appointment right, because the last 2 we have shanked.

And with that Bailey had 5 years.

I look at performances like today and realise our list is no good. The reason our list is no good is because of Neeld. He raped this list. I feel sorry for our next coach. Bailey at least left the next coach something to work with. Apart from a decent forward line there is little upside to this list. VFL battlers.

No, I don't think you can blame him for the list. Some say this is his list but it's not, yes he made changes that really needed to be made. The only one gone you could argue with is Moloney and I was never a fan, the rest were not up to it. I would agree that some of the decisions to bring in Gillies, Rodan and co were not so good but they didn't cost a lot.

...but the list can be sheeted back to previous recruiting mistakes not Neeld, the performance of the list is where you can have issue with Neeld.

FFS.........Frawley and Garland are not "upside"? Nate Jones? Neeld had no midfield at all when he arrived, apart from N Jones.

Think before you post.

I totally agree with RalphusMaximus .......dont sack Neeld now. I believe he has the players .....if you were maybe at the game instead of watching on tv or listening on the radio ......so many of hawthorns goals were from our turnovers & bad decisions . That is caused in part by inexperience & lack of confidence. That turns around quickly with more game time, more time with each other & some of our experienced players back in the side. Replacing neeld may appease the ever voracious media & impatient supporters but will do nothing for the psyche of the players or the finances of the club. Unless someone of the quality of a paul roos or the like turns up tomorrow ....lets just get the off field part of the club right & let the rest of the season unfold. Funny we give coaches like malthouse, Thompson, Clarkson years to win a flag, but the afl is littered with coaches who never got the chance to see what they could do.

Thank you finally someone's smoking the same [censored] I am!! Some other posters really don't watch the games and truly sense the atmosphere. Maybe they should try going to a few games and appreciate the true meAning of spirit in and around the ground.. Stick together people. Every dog has its day and I sense a really positive 2nd half of season to follow. And if it doesn't. Simple. Neeld must go

• Like 3

You are kidding if you think those two have been treated disgracefully

Davey has had two shocking years since he won the B&F and has played a couple of OK games this year.

Watts's effort is diabolical. He had a good second half last year playing as a floating defender (under Neeld) but his effort and attack on the ball is non-existent.

Not a Neeld fan and want him gone but these two players don't deserve games ATM.

Our worst performace of the year - Watts subbed and scapegoated. Im not saying his effort is good or what have you, but he has definitely been crucified at times by Neeld. Rightly or wrongly, Watts is our most precious resource and Neeld has harmed the club by treating him in that way and it has curbed his development.

Davey is one of the few players on the list who can kick. And he is a mature player with experiecnce. Theyve subbed and greenvested him as well as scapegoat. Watts and Davey have done wrong and aren't without flaw but they shine like beacons in a world of Tapscotts, Evans, Bailses etc.

Edited by goodoil

Our worst performace of the year - Watts subbed and scapegoated. Im not saying his effort is good or what have you, but he has definitely been crucified at times by Neeld. Rightly or wrongly, Watts is our most precious resource and Neeld has harmed the club by treating him in that way and it has curbed his development.

Davey is one of the few players on the list who can kick. And he is a mature player with experiecnce. Theyve subbed and greenvested him as well as scapegoat. They have done wrong and arent flawed, but they shine like beacons in a world of Tapscotts, Evans, Bailses etc.

How did Davey respond to being the substitute for three weeks again? Something like played his best game for five years wasn't it? He really seems to have suffered from his "disgraceful" treatment. I call that very astute player management.

As for Watts, are you saying that to be subbed off is to be made a scapegoat? If so, I feel sorry for Matt Jones today, he's in for it. Is it the fact that Watts was poor that game and everyone knew it? Is it that everyone knew it and someone actually dared to point it out? I can assure you, the lad has a reasonably thick skin. He's not going to wilt under a little criticism when he has a bad game.

Neeld may not be the total problem but will keeping him until the end of season 2014 improve our clubs' position ????????

The playing lists decision making, attack at the ball, skills, awareness, demeanor, accountability, work rate etc etc etc. have receded dramatically under Neeld this year.

He simply cannot get this list to improve at all !!!!!!! In fact some of our so called better players are now not even getting regular gametime.

Neelds job is to coach, inspire, plan, improve, develop, all aspects of this list........................................mega fail.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets see if the new hierachy agree tomorrow.

Two of the most insightful things I have read lately. Jack viney thinking the crowd was booing the umpires & realising it was actually the players that were being booed ( sad & embarrassing by supporters) & tod viney stating that jack watts does not have an "Agro" bent to his nature & may never. There are 22 players out there & not all of them are designed to do the same thing. I can live with the fact that he doesn't bash & crash the packs .....I would be happy to watch his sublime skills & delivery of the ball & reading of the play. I have seen glimpses of this .....I feel his confidence is slowly building & look forward to seeing him in a forward/maybe wing position surrounded by the likes of Dawes , Clark & hogan who do have the bodies to bash & crash the packs. After the likes of Evans ,tapscott,terlich in fact a host of others play their 50 odd games ....then I will make judgements. Until then there are a lot of players who simply have not had enough afl games to be judged so harshly. I was shell shocked at the beginning of the season and I know we are getting thrashed but I can't help it ....I am seeing some positives & do have a glimmer of hope

• Like 2

Neeld may not be the total problem but will keeping him until the end of season 2014 improve our clubs' position ????????

The playing lists decision making, attack at the ball, skills, awareness, demeanor, accountability, work rate etc etc etc. have receded dramatically under Neeld this year.

He simply cannot get this list to improve at all !!!!!!! In fact some of our so called better players are now not even getting regular gametime.

Neelds job is to coach, inspire, plan, improve, develop, all aspects of this list........................................mega fail.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets see if the new hierachy agree tomorrow.

I'll repeat myself

Name me a top 4 or even 8 side that has let players dictate the direction of the club

Thye don't - they move those players on

That's my personal worry

Don't worry about Neeld - I have no doubt he'll be sacked soon and it may be for the right reasons but it will continue our 60 years of weakness and still going strong... The same board that wanted club culture change hasn't got the balls to see it through

7 of our 9 losses have been by over 10 goals, 2 of them 90+ and a third over 100.

I see a problem. Coach can't coach.

As enlightening as that is.... and as much as I am also upset with the results surely you can admit 2 things

1/ We've been unable to field a 'best side' or not be forced to make changes

2/ The side inherited by Neeld is still at least 2/3rds of the list he inherited and we lack experience and leadership

I'll say neeld is not good enough if you can accept those 2 pretty vital facts to team performance

Edited by Unleash Hell

How did Davey respond to being the substitute for three weeks again? Something like played his best game for five years wasn't it? He really seems to have suffered from his "disgraceful" treatment. I call that very astute player management.

Perhaps if hed been playing earlier and more last year, our performance would be better. Thered be more fluency to our buildup play and we'd kick more goals etc etc

As for Watts, are you saying that to be subbed off is to be made a scapegoat? If so, I feel sorry for Matt Jones today, he's in for it. Is it the fact that Watts was poor that game and everyone knew it? Is it that everyone knew it and someone actually dared to point it out? I can assure you, the lad has a reasonably thick skin. He's not going to wilt under a little criticism when he has a bad game.

We lost that game by 148pts, the entire team was awful, yet the player subbed was a high profile, number one draft pick who is forever in the spotlight. Any number of players could have been subbed and many worse performers on the night were left on the ground, yet Neeld withdraws the only player who could suffer material embarrassment out of the move. He fed him to the wolves that night! And hes done it before too - last year putting him on jonathan brown in the last line of defence and watching him get crucified in the last 3 minutes of the first quarter, where we went from being level to three goals down all because of Brown.

Edited by goodoil

In the add brake during house husbands the news said that Mark Neeld will be sacked tomorrow.

This happened with Wallace and they really embarrassed themselves, can't remember which journo. In their hurry to get the scoop they said he was gone when he wasn't. Of course this did happen but they were taking an educated guess, same here. It would be a good bet but not necessarily so...unless they have a reliable source...Gerard.

Perhaps if hed been playing earlier and more last year, our performance would be better. Thered be more fluency to our buildup play and we'd kick more goals etc etc

We lost that game by 148pts, the entire team was awful, yet the player subbed was a high profile, number one draft pick who is forever in the spotlight. Any number of players could have been subbed and many worse performers on the night were left on the ground, yet Neeld withdraws the only player who could suffer material embarrassment out of the move. He fed him to the wolves that night!

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong goodoil - you may be right

But for me as a bigger picture point of view that is why we are a weak club - even if the bloke was one of the worst on the ground we still make excuses for them.... someone had to get subbed after getting beaten by 148 points there are no scapegoats

And i still reckon there was a lot of Essenscum heckling when Watts was subbed

What equally makes me sick is that so called supporters wish the downfall of a club employee and rejoce

That is what makes our club a joke to the competition - not the fact Neeld will get fired in due coarse but the fact supporters wish for it

Talk about supporting 60 years of crap and counting

• Like 5