5 Years Says Neeld - Who is going to cop that?

Mongrel Dee

"That cannot be good for current and future sponsors, let alone maintaining and attracting an on-going membership/supporter base. Many Foundation Heroes and Debt Demolition contributors are right royally [censored] off right now"

How do you know?, you must be speaking to different people than I am, I know at least four players sponsors, and a Foundation hero or two, yes not happy Jan, but certainly/definitely/absolutely not thinking about walking away

The football media is on a bandwagon, what a journalist actually step away and say something different, not really, although Peter Ryan had the balls to put a slightly different slant on everything

As for the players, Goddard walked away from St Kilda, a club he later cried over, yeah right, it is all about the culture, no it's not

As for the membership, the Monday and Tuesday nights are still getting results, working on members who didn't sign up last year, but have now this year, strange that, small numbers but makes a lie of the media and some posters on here

I don;t mind debating posters on here, as long as they deal in facts and don't regurgitate Caroline Wilsonisms and Damain Barrett tittle tattle.....I await your reply with interest

Let's just regurgitate Watson - hypocrite

Sorry to interrupt the love in.... or whatever is happening here :) :)

Did anyone catch the coaches office this week where Neeld clarifies his comments re 3 - 5 years???

See here - http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2013-05-22/coaches-office-round-9

Anyway I thought it was interesting and just shows how the messages in the media can easily be taken out of context

See here - http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2013-05-22/coaches-office-round-9

Anyway I thought it was interesting and just shows how the messages in the media can easily be taken out of context

Was it taken out of context though? He never said the words "it will take 3-5 years for us to be any good" but the implication was the same IMO.

Neeld was reiterating and agreeing with what Bomber Thompson and McCartney had said mid week - that players take 3-5 years or 60-100 games to be able to compete at a consitant AFL level. In the same breath Neeld also highlights how low our average games experience is (~50 vs Gold Coast), and notes how many players in our 22 have less than 50 games to their name.

You have to consider all of these statements together.

Whilst he never said it will take 3-5 years for us to be any good. The reality is it will take another ~3-5 years until the majority of the team have reached the number of games which he reckons they need to have played to play consistant footy. ie. it will take 3-5 years for us to be consistantly good.

Whilst he never said it will take 3-5 years for us to be any good. The reality is it will take another ~3-5 years until the majority of the team have reached the number of games which he reckons they need to have played to play consistant footy. ie. it will take 3-5 years for us to be consistantly good.

Fair points DemonWA and I agree with what you've said that it will take us a couple years before we really start climbing up the ladder (in fact i've been saying that on other threads since round 2). It will also be the availability to get players on the park as well... How many games has Mitch playerd in his 2 years at the club? And if you add some quality in the middle a lot here would argue we can improve quickly.

I agree with what you've said DeamonWA and I want to clarify that it is easy to take statements out of context and the Media and people on D'land will manipulate these statements to suit their own arguments

Edited by Unleash Hell

Fair points DemonWA and I agree with what you've said that it will take us a couple years before we really start climbing up the ladder (in fact i've been saying that on other threads since round 2). It will also be the availability to get players on the park as well... How many games has Mitch playerd in his 2 years at the club? And if you add some quality in the middle a lot here would argue we can improve quickly.

I agree with what you've said DeamonWA and I want to clarify that it is easy to take statements out of context and the Media and people on D'land will manipulate these statements to suit their own arguments

Irrespective of context I ask these 2 questions.

Do you think Mark Neeld will coach us in 2014?

Do you think Mark Neeld is the right coach for our club?

Irrespective of context I ask these 2 questions.

Do you think Mark Neeld will coach us in 2014?

Do you think Mark Neeld is the right coach for our club?

What difference does it make?

Not my decision to make - just like to discuss the situation

PS: Not really sure why I care if that there is rational thought on here - the blind hate is much more entertaining

Edited by Unleash Hell

What difference does it make?

Not my decision to make - just like to discuss the situation

PS: Not really sure why I care if that there is rational thought on here - the blind hate is much more entertaining

Not really sure what blind hate means, but my own humble opinion about Neeld has nothing to do with hate.

Blind faith is something I might be guilty of prior to round one this year.

To have your team so ill prepared at the beginning of the season just about convinces me that he ain't up to the job.

Ignoring the self righteous and obnoxious amongst us for one moment...

I have in the past have had a go at people on this forum for being overly negative. The loss against Brisbane comes to mind. I couldn't believe people were so snarky when we were expected to lose by at least 5 goals. The loss against Richmond was a bit of a turning point for me. It seemed that for some, that loss was the end goal. Chris Dawes summed it up quite brilliantly (this is a paraphrase), 'Being competitive is step one. But we still lost and we can't accept that.' It seems for some that this is acceptable.

We can get into all the semantic and he said/she said games we like but the scoreboard is damning. We all know where we are on the ladder. We know we are going to make a 1.5 million dollar loss this year (or more). We have fired our CEO and the caretaker coming in has described our football department as dysfunctional. Our board was not strong enough to fire said CEO after the result of a game spooked them into turning 180 degrees. Yes, Bailey should have gone but CS should have too. The board needed to be even handed. At least 5 senior players have been discarded/walked away from the club and it is unlikely we will see them back in any capacity in the foreseeable future, There are lots of gaping wounds that need to be healed (economic based ones and relationship based ones) Is this repairable? I think it can be repaired but it will take a Herculean effort.It will take more than PJ to get us out of this. It will take the work of many a good and committed person to fix this up.

It's a long time since the start of the 2010 season. We were supposed to be on the start of an upward curve THEN.

1. In the above post you have pointed out issues with the board and with the former CEO, and that is all very well, but if you are placing so much fault with those entities, how does this support your case for sacking the coach who is not involved in any of these areas and indeed came to the club after many of these issues appeared?

2. I accept that people are frustrated with the club, and indeed I share in that sentiment, but to blame Neeld for the fact that you had your high hopes dashed before he even came to the club seems a little over the top.

Or Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot:

"Let us not waste our time in idle discourse! (Pause. Vehemently.) Let us do something, while we have the chance! It is not every day that we are needed. But at this place, at this moment of time, all mankind is us, whether we like it or not. Let us make the most of it, before it is too late!"

It's a lovely quote, and applies very well to a number of posters on these boards, but sadly not so much to the club and it's situation. I have some others that I would like to be able to apply to posters here.

Morale is the state of mind. It is steadfastness and courage and hope. It is confidence and zeal and loyalty. It is Èlan, esprit de corps and determination.

George Marshall

One of my superstitions had always been when I started to go anywhere, or to do anything, not to turn back, or stop until the thing intended was accomplished

Ulysses S Grant

Sadly, too many people on here seem to think the way to succeed is to quit halfway and start again. And again. And presumably again after that. I can all too easily picture the thread in 2015 demanding that Paul Roos be sacked. "He never wanted to come here, we should have recruited someone with more interest." "He's had his time, his ideas are stale, he's too old." "We should have tried to recruit X assistant from Y club, he's supposed to be good and he'd be more motivated."

I saw an old man today wearing an old Demons jacket, and I complimented him on it. He said "I've barracked for the Demons since 1946, and I'm not changing now. They'll get there."

• Like 2

DWA you are absolutely not alone. You can put him on ignore but like a weed he keeps coming up as quotes. There have been some annoying posters on this site since i've joined and whilst t he is not as objectionable as some i think he now has taken the mantle of the most annoying DL poster. Quite some feat.

His need to blindly respond to any critique of the club is strange. I have come to the conclusion he is like a reverse troll. Please fellow posters stop giving him oxygen and at the least stop quoting him so at least i don't have to see his posts.

Preseason training reports were pretty good, binman.

Other than that, he shits me to tears.

In comparison to Daws at the press conference, Neeld was content with the performance and therefore accepted a 5 goal loss. Give the semantics a miss bing.

Having just watched the press conference, Neeld looked shattered. Dawes looked angry. I much preferred Dawes' approach.

Neeld's path was sprouting "rhetoric" and IMO dangerous messages, but I think his demeanour spells that he knows he's gone. Neeld's never been a particularly eloquent speaker, but he could barely string a sentence together in that press conference.

• Like 1

Not really sure what blind hate means, but my own humble opinion about Neeld has nothing to do with hate.

Blind faith is something I might be guilty of prior to round one this year.

To have your team so ill prepared at the beginning of the season just about convinces me that he ain't up to the job.

Apologies if I implied I was talking about yourself...... I was generalising about this site as people like to vent their frustration and the easy target is Neeld

To answer your earlier questions

No, &

Undecided

I'm undecided as I don't know how much is Neelds fault and I don't know how much due to inherited MFC problems. I'd love to be able to say yes it is simply all M Neeld doing - but I don't believe that.

For example people identify recruiting as a key problem for 2013 - off the top of my head there were 14 changes and out of the 14 new faces 4 are identified as the root of our problems (Pedersen, Byrnes, Rodan & Gillies).... While I agree most likely 3 out of the 4 won't give us much no one mentions Neeld in 2013 also brought in Hogan, Dawes, M Jones, Terlich and other rookies (Viney, Toumpas etc)

And the most disturbing issue about that list is - in general (N Jones, Garland and a few others off the top of my head probably can throw in Sylvia & Frawler) The players that look good have all been brought in by Neeld - I really don't know what to make of that - is that Neeld fault for not inspiring or did he inherit an over-rated, bruise free front runners?

Apart form Moloney and Rivers leaving from our club, who has really left that was AFL standard? Martin - give me a break, kid had talent but has never been consistent. Is that the standard we want that passes at the MFC? Good some games, poor others?

Maybe someone else can get more out of these players? Who knows but I don't envy anyone having yo make decisions at our footy club at the moment.... and that's why i'm not fussed to let the season play out so more information can be gathered and the right decisions be made

Edited by Unleash Hell

1. In the above post you have pointed out issues with the board and with the former CEO, and that is all very well, but if you are placing so much fault with those entities, how does this support your case for sacking the coach who is not involved in any of these areas and indeed came to the club after many of these issues appeared?

2. I accept that people are frustrated with the club, and indeed I share in that sentiment, but to blame Neeld for the fact that you had your high hopes dashed before he even came to the club seems a little over the top.

1. While I think that MN has little time left, the quote you raised isn't necessarily a rationale for firing him. I guess it may have been a little off topic as this thread is about MN but it was more a reply to those who reflexively defend the club against criticism, no matter how valid.

2. Not particularly. I was actually quite bullish when he came to the club and thought that if he was able to tighten the boys up defensively, we could go places. I thought the boys might even be able to pull off the Collingwood game style. How wrong I was.

I think MN isn't the only problem with the club. The blame needs to be appropriated across many people. In the same way that the blame must be cast on many people, it will take many people to fix the club up.

A bit of Dylan Thomas:

"I played for Aberavon in 1898," said a stranger to Enoch Davies.

"Liar," said Enoch Davies.

"I can show you photos," said the stranger.

"Forged," said Enoch Davies.

"And I'll show you my cap at home."

"Stolen."

I got friends to prove it," said the stranger in a fury.

"Bribed," said Enoch Davies.

Recognisable style?

Edited by robbiefrom13

Gee you lovely boys and girls are thin skinned, morning how are we all going this morning?, lots of posts about nothing again, hope so, gives me something to look at and laugh

Just remember fellow Demonlanders, Sat only joined in Dec 2012 - since then 803 thoroughly forgettable posts, regardless of your opinion on MN, the Board, etc., etc. Demonlanders in my experience have thick skins, tolerate other people's viewpoints very well and are united by true support for MFC, unlike Sat apparently - one wonders about his real aim and origins.

• Like 3

In comparison to Daws at the press conference, Neeld was content with the performance and therefore accepted a 5 goal loss.

Utter BS.

Where has anyone in the FD, Neeld, coaches, players, said that they "accept" a loss?

Don't make claims you can't back up.

Just remember fellow Demonlanders, Sat only joined in Dec 2012 - since then 803 thoroughly forgettable posts, regardless of your opinion on MN, the Board, etc., etc. Demonlanders in my experience have thick skins, tolerate other people's viewpoints very well and are united by true support for MFC, unlike Sat apparently - one wonders about his real aim and origins.

If there were a 'Land Hall of Shame, he would be registered as a Legend (?).

Sorry Saty. You are on ignore now.

I seem to recall there was also a poster called Satrycon, then Satryconhome appreared. Not sure if they are the same guy?

I never remember finding Satrycon annoying....Satryconhome on the other hand.....

lot of hysteria at the moment re 3-5 year time frame, I think neeld was referring to individuals getting 60 -100 games not the team as a whole

• Like 1

Utter BS.

Where has anyone in the FD, Neeld, coaches, players, said that they "accept" a loss?

Don't make claims you can't back up.

Don't respond to posts you don't understand.

I clearly said in comparison to Dawes.

lot of hysteria at the moment re 3-5 year time frame, I think neeld was referring to individuals getting 60 -100 games not the team as a whole

That's just semantics. I don't agree with your hysteria comment, I really think most supporters are genuinely very concerned after the Gold Coast loss. It is becoming clear that Neeld will have some clear air to show something over the next few weeks, I just cannot see where the improvement is going to come from for him to keep his job.

His opportunity to shine as a coach was at the start of the season when his list is fittest and the injury list is low, and the motivation is at its peak. On all counts he failed in a dramatic way.

In my opinion the damage is done, if there are any smart people in positions of influence at this club then they should be working overtime in getting a Paul Roos to this club. Neeld is damaged goods in the football community.

DWA you are absolutely not alone. You can put him on ignore but like a weed he keeps coming up as quotes. There have been some annoying posters on this site since i've joined and whilst t he is not as objectionable as some i think he now has taken the mantle of the most annoying DL poster. Quite some feat.

His need to blindly respond to any critique of the club is strange. I have come to the conclusion he is like a reverse troll. Please fellow posters stop giving him oxygen and at the least stop quoting him so at least i don't have to see his posts.

Amen. I'd pity him if he wasn't such a [censored].

Can we have a more comprehensive ignore function? I'm also sick of seeing his rubbish in quotes.

• Like 2