Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Half Time address from Peter Jackson Yesterday

Nobody is suggesting we march everyone out are they? Most think a change of senior coach and President would go a long way to improving things.

Would you keep Neeld and McLardy in the long term (past 2013)?

Actually, there are people calling for a total clean out and it's good to hear that nobody's taking them seriously.

I've already had my say about Don McLardy in the context of the revelations about Dank's involvement with Dr. Bates. Even though ultimately it turned out that the club hadn't misinformed the AFL as alleged by Demetriou, the members were certainly kept in the dark and I believe the responsibility for that rests at the top of the club.

As for Neeld, he's employed to produce results and although I don't think he's had enough time and moreover, has done his job under incredibly difficult circumstances, like his predecessor before him, he has a use by date which is rapidly approaching. The problem would be his replacement for the rest of 2013 who would hardly be anything more than a lame duck.

I am confident however, that we still have the capacity to come out of this as a stronger club if Jackson does his job properly.

The short answer to your question is that we will have at least a new coach and a new president next year.

• Like 5

I am just glad that Peter Jackson faced the music yesterday. Good on him.

Where was the President i wonder?

Mr. "We are not going to talk about that"

It's time we did

Mclardy was doing the President's Lunch, I walked past and saw him chewing Mike Sheahan's ear later I walked past and Sheahan was doing the guest speaker bit.

Be interesting to hear what he was talking about if anyone was there.

I'll do it. I know [censored]-all about running a football club, but I damn well have some empathy with those of us in the 'cheap seats' - after all, I sit in one!

EDIT: On that note, I may actually talk to the old man. He's mid-50s, looking to step back from his role in business. He's taken a relatively small gantry crane company and built it into one of the best and biggest companies in the industry over the last 15 years. He left the company in the mid-90s and was headhunted to come back when they were on death's door; resurrected them and they're now expanding overseas. He's also a bloody passionate Melbourne man.

might need some heavy lifting.

Mclardy was doing the President's Lunch, I walked past and saw him chewing Mike Sheahan's ear later I walked past and Sheahan was doing the guest speaker bit.

Be interesting to hear what he was talking about if anyone was there.

Is the President's lunch pre game or does it continue through to half time?

Is the President's lunch pre game or does it continue through to half time?

For the entire game, snacks at 3 quarter time etc.

McLardy was sitting up the back of the seats in front of the lunch area where he always sits and as we walked past my wife said, that was disgraceful; he just kept looking straight ahead.

McLardy was sitting up the back of the seats in front of the lunch area where he always sits and as we walked past my wife said, that was disgraceful; he just kept looking straight ahead.

Sorry Robbie but I have missed the inference.

What pleases me the most about Jackson being on board is that he is not tied to the board. He is an experienced CEO who can provide a direct line in to the AFL; this means he's not only qualified to identify the issues, he's also qualified to report the problems at board level without fear of implications of his own job. I agree with what Jack said - Jackson's arrival is a signal from the AFL that they have zero confidence in the club to sort out its own mess. From that perspective I'm confident we'll see a way through now.

I wonder how long Jackson needs to remain the caretaker of the club for? At the very least he needs to be involved in the hiring of the permanent CEO, but I think there is a need for him to see in a new board as well. I'd like to see him leaving a well oiled machine in his wake, but I expect that's too big an assignment for his relatively short tenure.

To me this feels like the end of a long, bad relationship. We're emotionally exhausted and financially cactus, but the weight has been lifted and we can start to clean up the bloody mess. I hope so anyway.

I agree, & its not just this Board... they may well be one of the better ones we've had... they are tidying up the Mess left behind from generations of go nowhere boards, since the early nineties.

they have tidied up the debt, & the mess left from the CrCa/McNamee/Prendaghast/Bailey/Flick....

& they have brought in Neil Craig, Dave Misson, Neeld & team, Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, sorted out the sulky saga with (Viney/Hogan/Toumpas, + some, Clisby etc).....

.... not a bad effort so far, after the 2002 - 2011 Era.

• Like 1

I agree, & its not just this Board... they may well be one of the better ones we've had... they are tidying up the Mess left behind from generations of go nowhere boards, since the early nineties.

they have tidied up the debt, & the mess left from the CrCa/McNamee/Prendaghast/Bailey/Flick....

& they have brought in Neil Craig, Dave Misson, Neeld & team, Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, sorted out the sulky saga with (Viney/Hogan/Toumpas, + some, Clisby etc).....

.... not a bad effort so far, after the 2002 - 2011 Era.

I agree dee-luded they has been spectacularly successful.

How come we cannot beat time with a stick where it matters

I don't often agree with OD, but I agree wholeheartedly with the last line. I don't give a toss how the club is run. Happy for it to be run by a busload of Martians - whatever it takes. I just want to see the club perform well on the field.

Sue I am devastated that you don't often agree with me.

That is it I cannot go on!

• Like 1

Reading from the transcript confirms my view that while things are not good, they are not as bad as some people paint them.

Just as I felt four years ago that it was a bad idea to frogmarch the entire board out and replace it (we lost some good people and the move created enormous resentment), I think it would be a poor idea to throw out our entire board, admin, football department and lop heads off willy nilly just for the sake of it or to make some people feel better.

From the sound of things Jackson has things under control and isn't likely to do anything too precipitous.

We might be a basket case but we're currently under the patronage of both the MCC and the AFL. It's not the most comfortable of feelings but I do suspect that by the end of June a number of things will have started taking shape.

You sound like a level headed, wise Man WJ. not prone to make the big decisions on one Leg.

Thanks for that. I was always under the impression it was finished before the first bounce.

What, he's deaf as well?

• Like 1

I agree dee-luded they has been spectacularly successful.

How come we cannot beat time with a stick where it matters

..because onfield, the Biggest issue IS Being addressed,,, just as Barassi did before. the Culture & the Professionalism...

.... players had to be let go. Some experienced, who either would not be around when we would be ready to strike, & others who were not helping with the Culture cleanup & Professionalism.

So we lost Moloney, Green, Bartram retired thru injury, & soon to be (29) Jared Rivers left. We had to make space for the kids to learn their trade, (Tom McDonald) who missed some preseason, & has struggled a bit being No 2 defender,,, as has Frawley, (maybe unhappy that some left, {Petterd, Rivers, Moloney, Bartram, Bate, Green}).....

In short, we were a bit off in our Defence, & the Mids have struggled to contain the opposition... Trenners carrying an injury, & others being given the chance to run thru the Mids, (MJones, Viney, Evans, Toumpas, Tapscott, Nicholson, Dunn, Blease) lots of talent, but very Inexperienced...

Our Offence has been injured. Clarke as we know,,,, Dawes who has just returned to a side way Down on

form, confidence & no momentum... we've found something in Gawn & Howe's been good, & imo Tapscott has been promising. Evans has been exciting, & Byrnes has been very useful.

So there is a Lot to be excited about, & More player development happening Now than I can remember, for more than the last 10 Yrs... all the boys at Casey have been going strongly, Fitzy, Davis, Spencer, Gawn, Hogan, Kent, Strauss, Magner, Couch, Blease, Clisby, etc...

• Like 3

Reading from the transcript confirms my view that while things are not good, they are not as bad as some people paint them.

Just as I felt four years ago that it was a bad idea to frogmarch the entire board out and replace it (we lost some good people and the move created enormous resentment), I think it would be a poor idea to throw out our entire board, admin, football department and lop heads off willy nilly just for the sake of it or to make some people feel better.

From the sound of things Jackson has things under control and isn't likely to do anything too precipitous.

We might be a basket case but we're currently under the patronage of both the MCC and the AFL. It's not the most comfortable of feelings but I do suspect that by the end of June a number of things will have started taking shape.

Initially, after the game, I thought that a new board and a clean slate was the way forward. But upon reflection it's probably too drastic and reactionary.

From what I've seen so far of PJ, and yes it's early days, it is evident what a sound appointment can (potentially) do for the club.

I believe that Schwab and the current board's shortcoming was not properly funding and structuring the recruiting and development for a club seeking to turn around it's fortunes in the draft. I understand that we've progressively invested more money into these areas, but it may be a case of quantity over quality (maybe that goes someway to explain Schwab's penchant for micromanagement).

So in order to lift ourselves from this mire we've found ourselves in, it may be that we are only a few key appointments and some structural changes away from righting the ship. We don't need to clear the decks, what we truly need is a clear direction and some strong leadership. Clearly we have in place an interim CEO, but I believe it would be remiss of us as a club to not attempt to retain PJ on a long term basis. I'm not entirely confident with our current president and coach, and I admit to knowing very little about our head of the football department, but by getting some quality people and leaders in these areas I think would go a long to to putting us back on track.

Which leads me to the question, What is Neil Craig's role and are we utilising him to our full advantage?

• Like 2

Initially, after the game, I thought that a new board and a clean slate was the way forward. But upon reflection it's probably too drastic and reactionary.

From what I've seen so far of PJ, and yes it's early days, it is evident what a sound appointment can (potentially) do for the club.

I believe that Schwab and the current board's shortcoming was not properly funding and structuring the recruiting and development for a club seeking to turn around it's fortunes in the draft. I understand that we've progressively invested more money into these areas, but it may be a case of quantity over quality (maybe that goes someway to explain Schwab's penchant for micromanagement).

So in order to lift ourselves from this mire we've found ourselves in, it may be that we are only a few key appointments and some structural changes away from righting the ship. We don't need to clear the decks, what we truly need is a clear direction and some strong leadership. Clearly we have in place an interim CEO, but I believe it would be remiss of us as a club to not attempt to retain PJ on a long term basis. I'm not entirely confident with our current president and coach, and I admit to knowing very little about our head of the football department, but by getting some quality people and leaders in these areas I think would go a long to to putting us back on track.

Which leads me to the question, What is Neil Craig's role and are we utilising him to our full advantage?

Craig's the High Performance Manager

One thing i like about Jackson is that already when talking about the club he talks about 'we' and uses the phrase 'our club'. Contrast that to Neeld who for months after joining did not use phrases such as we or us or our club.

that's not true, neeld also was very inclusive:

- at collingwood, we...

- when i was at collingwood, we...

- the way we did things at collingwood was...

very inclusive. very.

Peter Jackson is an incredibly smart guy - knows both footy and corporate governance. I just hope he can persuade the Board to stand down and allow a fresh start before we curl up and die.

(And Peter Jackson has had a lot of experience managing hobbits and orcs so surely he can get our motley crew up and running!)

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

I think getting the CEO position correct is more important than anything else right now.

If we need to pay PJ a truck load to stay and get the club perfect, wether that is 6 months, 18 months, must entice him to stay the journey.

Does anyone actually know wtf this means?

I see no high performances. I barely see performances.

Nah

We're not supposed to know what it means.

Probably a bit OT, but once again, you have to wonder about having the FD and players in one place, and the Admin in another. Can't be helping contribute to a sense of unity.

Jackson answered this yesterday, when asked by Triple M. He said that having visited Man Utd's set up in Manchester, there's a larger literal disconnect between their FD equivalent and administration. The implication was obvious. They don't seem to have unity issues, so that's not the problem. It's a 6 to 7 minute walk over the footbridge.

• Like 1