On a positive note - Dean Terlich

DeeSpencer

Wasn't hopeless.

Joins a long list of Melbourne footballers who get worse the longer their careers go.

Oh and highlights the ineptitude of the coaches who put Nicholson in ahead of him in round 1.

Besides gillies and probably sellar every Melbourne player who played tonight has been a very good afl player at one time or another. Terlich, Matt Jones, Viney and Toumpas will now enjoy seeing their talent rot.

• Like 1

Wasn't bad. Better than Nicho and Gillies.

Mate anything was better than Gillies tonight. He has no idea how to shut down a forward nor where to position himself in a marking contest. Continually allowed his opponent to work him away from goal side and also allowed his opponent to slip behind on many occasions, running into an unmarked square for an easy goal.

But hats off to Terlich this evening. In the 2 quarters he was down my end (city) i didn't see him put a foot wrong in the kick outs or in general play. A small shining light for a first gamer. Well done son.

But what's worse was Neeld's decision to continue with Gillies at FB until deep into the 3rd when he was clearly a massive fail in the first 2 quarters here.

Neeld is coaching like a frozen rabbit in the car headlights and the team is playing accordingly.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

I thought Jimmy Toumpas looked better this week although he did get caught out a couple of times as to whom he playing on. I'm clutching at straws here trying to find a positive. I also thought James Frawley played a better game tonight. He at least made an effort and chased unlike last week.

There was one "chase" right out in front of us. He looked buggered, but he barely got up to a jog. He then gestured back to the bench as if to say get me off for a breather. Wasn't pretty. Granted, he seemed more switched on in the first quarter.

Dean, you have my deepest admiration and sympathy. I saw you be BOG in Norwood premiership and I saw you try tonight in your AFL debut. You belong in the AFL as do Viney, M Jones & Toumpas. Please don't let this maelstrom get to you. Support each other. The 4 of you and a handful of others must be the nidus from which this club regenerates.

• Like 3

Terlich, Viney, Toumpas, the Jones's, Grimes, Howe, Tom McDonald and maybe Gawn, Hogan, Kent? are all worthy of our support and are all capable of playing winning football. But!!!!!!!!! the club cannot go on the way it is fostering ineptitude, if it does then these fine young men will be as ruined as Watts, Jamar et al.

We were in very much the same situation in the mid 1980's with drubbing after drubbing (once I remember a loss to Fitzroy of 100+ points) - then Northey came and the game changed!

Was ok, but Selar, Gillies and Nicho were terrible.

Jamar ,Trengove and Sylvia not far behind.

I was also surprised with Bleases effort, showed no run.

I am still split on frawley's game, he did some ok things but there where at least 3 notable brain fades that resulted in goals, twice he tried to play on around his man and got caught or handpassed to someone who got caught, and once he followed his man down to the wing his player dished the ball off and ran around the boundary to get the handball back while Chip stood there, but the time he realised his player had the ball again he was 30 meters away and accelerating.

not a lot of positives out of this game, even those that did well really were not outstanding in anyway, probably a dozen Essendon players all better.

Frawleys first half was good and he tried to take the game on because he had no simple options.

Then in the second half he ran out of confidence and will.

I bet watching gillies get goal after goal kicked on him he probably thought if he could play his true position at full back he would've stopped them. That and if his midfield just did anything at all to help

Thought Matt Jones was solid as well. To give Neeld a bit of credit, the players that have been drafted under him haven't done anything to show that they are terrible yet and they all have a real crack. It's a start.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.