Mongrel

frankie_d

Yes. Sticking up for team mates. Haven't seen enough of that in the last decade.

Mongrel against top sides, now that would be nice.

Very interesting year for Coach Neeld, this is where it starts 2013.

Ball is in his court. Instill an attitude of no compromise...

This from The Age today. Applies to us, too. If someone targets Toumpas, boy I hope we don't take it. I have bad memories from our last GF appearance, but I'm old enough to have good memories if our last GF win. We were tough.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/unleash-the-mongrel-20130323-2gms5.html

Toumpas has had a couple of years of senior football already so he will be able to look after himself...but I think in general you will see a different mindset amongst the players, they will work for each other.

The old days of having an enforcer in the side are long gone from AFL football, but you do need to clear a path and work as a team to get players free and this is what Geelong were good at with Gary Jnr, but as you can see at GC he is quite good at the game without that assistance.

I have absolute faith that a Mark Neeld coached team will ultimately have these qualities. It may be a while before we see it consistently, all over the field, but it's a certainty to be part of the agenda. The changes to our list under Neildy's watch are clear evidence of this imo.

• Like 1

I get the impression that J.Viney and J.Toumpas are now thick as thieves, if he gets roughed up Viney will be sprinting from the other side of the field!. I'm not trying to put to much on young Viney but when you have a player throwing himself at every contests and person, everyone will lift. His old man was the master of This, we have a fair bit of mongrel now, Jones, Clark, Viney, Silvia. I feel as the the wind has changed for Melbourne. Bruise free football is now dead!

Lets hope the boys get angry! We'll surprise a lot of teams!!

• Like 1

frankie_d, on 24 Mar 2013 - 14:41, said:

This from The Age today. Applies to us, too. If someone targets Toumpas, boy I hope we don't take it. I have bad memories from our last GF appearance, but I'm old enough to have good memories if our last GF win. We were tough.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/unleash-the-mongrel-20130323-2gms5.html

We weren't just tough in the 50's and 60's. At least at the end of the 80's, we had blokes like Steve O'Dwyer and Rod Grinter. Lots of blokes took shorter steps in their vicinity.

Viney/Toumpas are too young to be true Mongrels. Our only true Mongrel is Clarke. He goes at the contest with no care for life or limb - his own or anybody elses. Tappy is close but may not be a regular. If a few more followed Clark's lead then you would have opposition teams taking us seriously.

He is the type of player that demands attention/caution/the feeling that you might be hurt.

• Like 1

We weren't just tough in the 50's and 60's. At least at the end of the 80's, we had blokes like Steve O'Dwyer and Rod Grinter. Lots of blokes took shorter steps in their vicinity.

Don't forget Danny Hughes!, and big Earl Spalding once bumped a Sydney player so hard he dislocated both shoulders.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

DERAILMENT by KC from Casey

It wasn’t quite a trainwreck although at times, it sure looked like one, so I’ll settle for “derailment”.  The trip to Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield outside the back of Brisbane might not exactly be the same place where Homer Simpson’s family resides but, if you listened closely to the utterances of the Casey Demons fans both at the ground or watching via livestream, you could hear lots of groaning and plenty of expressions of “D'oh!” reverberating in the background, particular

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

TEN YEARS AFTER by Whispering Jack

Things have changed in the more than ten years since the West Coast Eagles decimated Melbourne by 93 points on the MCG early in the 2014 season. The two sides had not met at the home of football in the interim until yesterday when Melbourne won by a comfortable 54 points to remain in contention for this year’s finals series. Back in those days, the Demons were in the midst of their Great Depression but they have since tasted premiership glory and experienced a long enough period among

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 3

PREGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

The Demons are back at the MCG once again and will once again be fighting for a spot in the Top 8 as they come face to face with Bombers on Saturday night. Who comes in and who goes out?

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 179

VOTES: Rd 17 vs West Coast

Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jack Viney & Alex Neal-Bullen, make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Eagles. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 49

POSTGAME: Rd 17 vs West Coast

The Demons are back in the hunt for finals after a clinical victory over the West Coast Eagles at the MCG which was sealed after bursting out of the blocks with a seven goal to one first quarter.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 261

GAMEDAY: Rd 17 vs West Coast

It’s game day and the Demons return to Melbourne to play the Eagles at the MCG for the first time in over a decade. A win keeps the Dees finals hopes alive whereas a loss will almost certainly slam the finals window shut.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 369

CROSSROADS by The Oracle

Melbourne stands at the crossroads.  Sunday’s game against the West Coast Eagles who have not met the Demons at the MCG in more than ten years, is a make or break for the club’s finals aspirations.  That proposition is self-evident since every other team the club will be opposed to over the next eight weeks of footy is a prospective 2024 finalist. To add to this perspective is the fact that while the Demons are now in twelfth position on the AFL table, they are only a game and a half b

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 1

DELUGE by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons overcame their inaccuracy and the wet inhospitable conditions to overrun the lowly Northern Bullants at Genis Steel Oval in Cramer Street, Preston on Saturday. It was an eerie feeling entering the ground that in the past hosted many VFA/VFL greats of the past including the legendary Roy Cazaly. The cold and drizzly rain and the sparse crowd were enough to make one want to escape to the nearby Preston Market and hang out there for the afternoon. In the event, the fans

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

INSANITY by Whispering Jack

Somehow, the Melbourne Football Club managed it twice in the course of a week. Coach Simon Goodwin admitted it in his press conference after the loss against the Brisbane Lions in a game where his team held a four goal lead in the third term:   "In reality we went a bit safe. Big occasion, a lot of young players playing. We probably just went into our shell a bit. "There's a bit to unpack in that last quarter … whether we go into our shells a bit late in the game."   Well

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 12
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!