• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Is anyone else concerned?

deanoDA

I am a little concerned because in some key indicators I did not see any improvement in the latter part of last year. This figures exclude all games against GC and GWS because they are irrelevant as measurements IMO. See below (I had some trouble pasting the data in so hopefully you can make sense of it):-

i50+/- Scores from i50 For Scores from i50 Agst Accuracy For Accuracy Agst

Last 10 games -9.4 44.2% 54.9% 48.5% 51.5%
Last 5 games -8.8 43.3% 57.5% 48.5% 53.9%
Last 3 games -9.7 47.7% 60.9% 44.4% 53.1%
Season 2012 -15.6 44.6% 53.4% 48.1% 52.1%
League Average 49.3% 49.3% 52.8% 52.8%

The positive in the above was our ability to bridge the gap in inside 50's in the second half of the season. I believe this trend continued somewhat in the NAB cup games we played.

My biggest worry from these numbers is that despite the fact that we seem to be implementing a slow, defensive game plan, our whole season (and worryingly the last 10 games) were terrible in terms of allowing teams to score when they go inside their 50. FYI Sydney won a flag with a season i50 diff of +0.6 and their last 10 games at -3.4. Their ability to stop opponents scoring was their key.

Whilst I like Neeld and the fact that he appears to be demanding high standards of commitment to the cause, it does worry me that we are playing in a way that we never capitalise enough in the scoreboard when we have the momentum and clearly don't seem to be able to stop opposition sides when they have momentum.

I'll be keeping my eye on these numbers. I predict pain this year (i.e. bottom 2) if we don't see real improvement in our ability to create and stop scores from i50's.

Round 1 will be a huge indicator of where we are at as was round 1 last year. I knew we were in for a rough ride as I went on to see one of the more pathetic displays I have seen Melbourne dish up to it's supporters. Maybe Brisbane were underrated but the effort provided was pizz weak, even moreso when one considers that Jimmy had passed on during the week.

We put in a howler week one then it's time to batten down the hatches.

I remember listeing to the radio the week after the Brisbane game last year and Nick Maxwell said "hes never seen a teams year over at week 1 before but melbournes was". at the time I was really taken aback from that call but he was so right.

I think Rd1 thus year is just as important. On paper we should beat Port at the G every day of the week. SO if we do the boys wll gain a lot of confidence as its been along time since we have won Rd1. but if we loose to port at the G confidence will hit the floor and along year ahead.

I remember listeing to the radio the week after the Brisbane game last year and Nick Maxwell said "hes never seen a teams year over at week 1 before but melbournes was". at the time I was really taken aback from that call but he was so right.

He was spot on. I would usually call some an arrogant [censored] if they said that but Maxwell was spot on. In describing that performance, it is best to defer to Time Lord widom and paraphrase the second Doctor (played masterfully by Patrick Troughton) 'I've never seen such an incredible bunch!'

Round 1 will be a huge indicator of where we are at as was round 1 last year.

I disagree. The harsh reality is we need to brace ourselves for probably about half a season of mess while the team learns to play together. I think too many here are placing way too much emphasis on round 1, not saying we'll lose, not saying we won't show effort, but when half the team hasn't even played together you can't expect a massive amount of cohesion.

Round 1 will be a huge indicator of where we are at as was round 1 last year. I knew we were in for a rough ride as I went on to see one of the more pathetic displays I have seen Melbourne dish up to it's supporters. Maybe Brisbane were underrated but the effort provided was pizz weak, even moreso when one considers that Jimmy had passed on during the week.

We put in a howler week one then it's time to batten down the hatches.

I agree with you Colin. As a long time supporter (and member) the opening round last year was one of the biggest disappointments I have had following the Club. Maxwell was right. The season was over at that point.

The deficiencies of the team have been mentioned over and over and over again on this site. So, why shouldn't I add to the dronefest?

In general terms, the players attack the ball hard enough, well most of them. But they certainly don't block or shepherd enough to help out team mates.

No gut running. The spread just isnt there. A player with the ball looks up and has no one making a lead. The good teams (even the average ones) do this so much better. Is it lack of fitness? Laziness? Cluelessness? Lack of confidence? Hello, is anyone still reading this?

On a similar theme, the failure of certain players to work both ways. Turnover. Well, get back on your man!!!

I suspect that the overall fitness of the team will be better this year. But that will be the case with every other team.

Poor skills, which includes poor decision making, are still a problem. I agree with another poster's comments about Frawley and Garland have one brain fade each per game. Regular turnovers are murder/game losers.

I think the FD/coaching staff are probably OK. Is the overall standard of the players good enough? I doubt it. There has been discussion about the midfield ad nauseum. Ideally one or 2 goal kicking midfielders are needed. And the side cant carry midfielders who are purely negators and have poor skills.

Anyway, nothing really new in the contents of this post. Just assorted ramblings.

If the team loses the first match (which is about 50/50), then I think that yet again, the season is over.

Am I a pessimist? Well to the extent that a pessimist is a well informed optimist then I suppose i am.

• Like 1

I personally will be a happy man if we win 8 games and never get beaten by 45 points. Last year it wasn't just we lost games it was the fact we got blown out of the water too often. I would think if we can get rid of the beltings that will be a good result.

• Like 1

If the team loses the first match (which is about 50/50), then I think that yet again, the season is over.

Ridiculous. Get a grip 'landers. It's going to take half the season to get this team (of which half haven't played together) playing with some cohesion.

Expect the first half to be messy but with a few wins and an overall better effort, but the second half to show a bit more of what we are capable of.

Round 1 is quickly turning into the Jack Watts of AFL games.... Let's turn down the panic and expectations a bit and be realistic.

• Like 1

The real beauty of games against Port is that, in the members, as I suspect all around the ground, if you want to grab a quick beer bar access is brilliant. Walk straight up. It comes in handy if the Dees are looking shaky.

• Like 1

Ridiculous. Get a grip 'landers. It's going to take half the season to get this team (of which half haven't played together) playing with some cohesion.

Expect the first half to be messy but with a few wins and an overall better effort, but the second half to show a bit more of what we are capable of.

Round 1 is quickly turning into the Jack Watts of AFL games.... Let's turn down the panic and expectations a bit and be realistic.

I believe we will beat Port at the G, Just like it took us a while to grasp Neeldy's game style, i think they will need time to adjust to Hinklers. No more excuses, lets beat the teams that we should beat, and be competitive against the teams that are above us. Jack Grimes has just stated on the Age that this year we will stand up and challenge!, i believe him. Lets knock of port gain some confidence and take it to the Bombers, they looked very slick in the final 3 qtrs last night!. Im expecting a very pumped up Melbourne team Sunday week and a big crowd to cheers the boys home. I will be screaming from my living room in Brisbane!.

• Like 1

I believe we will beat Port at the G, Just like it took us a while to grasp Neeldy's game style, i think they will need time to adjust to Hinklers. No more excuses, lets beat the teams that we should beat, and be competitive against the teams that are above us. Jack Grimes has just stated on the Age that this year we will stand up and challenge!, i believe him. Lets knock of port gain some confidence and take it to the Bombers, they looked very slick in the final 3 qtrs last night!. Im expecting a very pumped up Melbourne team Sunday week and a big crowd to cheers the boys home. I will be screaming from my living room in Brisbane!.

Look, I'm expecting a win in that game, but it's no guarantee given we're likely to have more than half a team of new players. There will be no excuses for lack of effort, pressure, running, but I'm expecting a bit of a mess as far as players knowing instinctively what each other will do and knowing the gameplan backwards.

Let's expect a win, but let's be realistic about where this group of players is at and not make silly statements like "if we lose round 1 the season is over".

I am a little concerned because in some key indicators I did not see any improvement in the latter part of last year. This figures exclude all games against GC and GWS because they are irrelevant as measurements IMO. See below (I had some trouble pasting the data in so hopefully you can make sense of it):-

The positive in the above was our ability to bridge the gap in inside 50's in the second half of the season. I believe this trend continued somewhat in the NAB cup games we played.

My biggest worry from these numbers is that despite the fact that we seem to be implementing a slow, defensive game plan, our whole season (and worryingly the last 10 games) were terrible in terms of allowing teams to score when they go inside their 50. FYI Sydney won a flag with a season i50 diff of +0.6 and their last 10 games at -3.4. Their ability to stop opponents scoring was their key.

Whilst I like Neeld and the fact that he appears to be demanding high standards of commitment to the cause, it does worry me that we are playing in a way that we never capitalise enough in the scoreboard when we have the momentum and clearly don't seem to be able to stop opposition sides when they have momentum.

I'll be keeping my eye on these numbers. I predict pain this year (i.e. bottom 2) if we don't see real improvement in our ability to create and stop scores from i50's.

Interesting stats rufus, but it's now 2013, and I have real hope that we will significantly improve those numbers. Improved fitness across the board; a bit more drive from the middle (admittedly not yet tested); more experience at doing things the 'Neeld way'; couple of decent goal-kicking targets in the forward half with a couple of ok crumbers at their feet; a potentially more settled back half; and improved depth to keep the incumbents 'honest' from week to week. Given a half-decent run with injuries, I'm not concerned. Probably baby steps in the first half of the season, but we will rise!

• Like 1

Agree, DeeOldFart,

We will rise this year.

I tried to look at last nights game as reference to where we are at. What I did see from Essendon was pressure when the other team has the ball. They made a number of Crows look very ordinary. For me, it's as much what we do when we don't have the ball. It's obvious to say, but we need players who are prepared to gut run to help out deep. Jobe Watson exemplified that last night. And Heath Hocking, a solid unit, provided a good lesson for Tappy in terms of getting the blend right.

• Like 1

It's good to hear some fighting talk from the players in the media but the most important place to do the talking is out on that pitch week in and week out.I don't mean to sound negative but talk like were going to do this and were going to do that is cheap.Performing and winning matches now that's the sort of talking i like.

Edited by Irish Demon

14 new players mean the stats from last year mean next to nothing.

Effort and intensity should be the standards set in 2013.

There is no excuse for not showing both traits in 2 hours regardless of experience or cattle on the ground.

Last night after a pre season from hell Essendon stuck together and played for each other.

It wasn't a great game, but once they hit the front they were not going to get beaten.

4 points is 4 points.

After our summer of hell is the team of the Red & Blue going to play for each other with effort & intensity (not just for one quarter) or are they going to be a shambles like last year and always talk about next week.

We can beat Essendon. We know that.

Interesting times.

• Like 2

I disagree. The harsh reality is we need to brace ourselves for probably about half a season of mess while the team learns to play together. I think too many here are placing way too much emphasis on round 1, not saying we'll lose, not saying we won't show effort, but when half the team hasn't even played together you can't expect a massive amount of cohesion.

I think that the Port game will be a pretty good indicator of where we are at as they are pretty much in the same boat to us. New coach, in the middle of a rebuild with very little expectation placed on them. If we were playing Hawthorn, Collingwood or Geelong to start the year, I wouldn't have as high expectation regarding the result but against Port at the 'G, I would expect a win and the result is one I would read quite a lot into. If we can't beat them at the 'G, we are setting ourselves up for a pretty average year. The season may be salvageable but it will not be a good sign for the rest of the season.

I think that the Port game will be a pretty good indicator of where we are at as they are pretty much in the same boat to us. New coach, in the middle of a rebuild with very little expectation placed on them. If we were playing Hawthorn, Collingwood or Geelong to start the year, I wouldn't have as high expectation regarding the result but against Port at the 'G, I would expect a win and the result is one I would read quite a lot into. If we can't beat them at the 'G, we are setting ourselves up for a pretty average year. The season may be salvageable but it will not be a good sign for the rest of the season.

I'm expecting a win, but I'm also expecting us to play like a team that has over 50% new members.

I agree there is a shite load hanging on this game ( not the least being memberships). Personally, I want some hope. Every summer the optimism builds - draft picks, recruits, fitness, form, experience, game plan, etc etc - we have heard them all. Then comes round one and another kicking. It's ground hog day.

Given the monumental change that has taken place in the Neeld era, I expect positive results for the hard earned I tip in. If we cannot beat PA at home then FM ( and my alpacas)D.

• Like 1

I'm expecting a win, but I'm also expecting us to play like a team that has over 50% new members.

No doubt. Some people shouldn't go to pieces if we aren't world beaters to start off with as there will be some cohesion issues leading in.

I view the Port game as a gauge of the player's attitude. If we put in a fully committed effort, we will beat Port at the G regardless whether the players have gelled completely or not. If we don't and lose, that will have me concerned and will have me asking if Neeldy really is bringing a so called hard edge to the club or if he is just a good flogger of horses. I think it is the former but I make my assumptions based on the results I see. It will also have me asking if maybe more needed to be cleaned out as well because the days of half arsed performances should have ended last year after the Swans loss. The amount of vitriol those boys copped (and deserved too) about their effort should have made it clear that half-hearted performances are not on.

Edited by Guest

Neeld done the right thing this year and got some older heads involved - and those from successful clubs.

I don't think he can do anymore than he is doing, the bloke is trying to turn things around.

I think most supporters would be concerned, since it's been a long time since we even looked like making finals.

• Like 1

Neeld done the right thing this year and got some older heads involved - and those from successful clubs.

I don't think he can do anymore than he is doing, the bloke is trying to turn things around.

I think most supporters would be concerned, since it's been a long time since we even looked like making finals.

I heard on one of the footy shows no club has ever won with more than 4 changes. We will have at least 8. That seems game over to me. I am bracing myself.