What do you call a spear without a head?

Stingray

I'm not so petty.

I'm disagreeing, because I disagree. I look forward to seeing Blease up on a wing and you prefer him roaming the forward-line.

Because that's what I said.... Gee you really struggle at actually understanding what other people say, maybe because you don't hear them over your own voice telling you how great you are.

Ben - you're smart enough to realise that when you assume the role of pompous arse, you're going to attract your fair share of attention and detractors. So you can save the "everyone snipes me" card.

Stu - you don't help the situation by consistently goading and making derogatory comments to every single one of Ben's posts, like in this thread.

I enjoy both your posts but C'MON fellas, it's not kindergarten.

• Like 1

Firstly, I spend too much time responding to those that snipe at me when my posts aren't directed at them. I'm doing it again now. Secondly, I'm not basing my opinion on our lack of quality smalls based on yesterday's game. Myself and others have commented on it ad nauseum for a long time now. Byrnes was needed, but he's not enough.

I think 'sniping' might be overstating it somewhat, but it seems you react anyway. Ho hum. None of us will know whether Byrnes is enough or not, or Blease, until the effect of Clark and Dawes becomes reality. If you're comparing our lack of small forward to the saints with Milne, then it's a harsh comparison, because he's the most dangerous small forward I've ever seen. Based on 2 nab games for Byrnes with fluctuating forward personnel, and limited feed from up the ground, kinda tricky to say, no?

Ben - you're smart enough to realise that when you assume the role of pompous arse, you're going to attract your fair share of attention and detractors. So you can save the "everyone snipes me" card.

Stu - you don't help the situation by consistently goading and making derogatory comments to every single one of Ben's posts, like in this thread.

I enjoy both your posts but C'MON fellas, it's not kindergarten.

Fair call. I did try and squash it by making light of our disagreements but that was met with the usual type of conceited response rather than sharing the humour.

Dawes is still only young (25?) so I don't think he's done, but you're right, it's hard to see him dominating, but that's not his role, his role is to be a target and throw his weight around to take some of that pressure off Mitch to have to do everything.

Half a million a year to throw his weight around, gee sign me up!, We can only hope that Neeldy and Browny can turn this big bloke around to a 40-50+ goal kicking forward a year. if Clark and Dawes can kick 100 goals a season that would be great for Young Hulk to come in, not feel the pressure and just rip games apart like a young Jonno Brown did in 2000 (arrggghhh to day dream)

Edited by BrisbaneDemon
  • Like 1

Half a million a year to throw his weight around, gee sign me up!, We can only hope that Neeldy and Browny can turn this big bloke around to a 40-50+ goal kicking forward a year. if Clark and Dawes can kick 100 goals a season that would be great for Young Hulk to come in, not feel the pressure and just rip games apart like a young Jonno Brown did in 2000 (arrggghhh to day dream)

I know, crazy hey!! But that's how valuable big mature KPF's are. I would love it if he could kick 40-50 a season, but I just can't see it happening. His role is important tho.

• Like 1

I know, crazy hey!! But that's how valuable big mature KPF's are. I would love it if he could kick 40-50 a season, but I just can't see it happening. His role is important tho.

Yeah i understand he is there to keep the defenders accountable so they cannot just double team Mitch like they did last year. Will be very interesting to see how big Dawes responds this season, new team, familiar coaching group that had him playing his best football at CFC and also the added pressure of a bigger contract which usually means greater pressure from fans, media etc. Lets hope its 2010 all over again for the Big unit. He's 25 so according to the experts they start to shine about now.

• Like 1

Yeah i understand he is there to keep the defenders accountable so they cannot just double team Mitch like they did last year. Will be very interesting to see how big Dawes responds this season, new team, familiar coaching group that had him playing his best football at CFC and also the added pressure of a bigger contract which usually means greater pressure from fans, media etc. Lets hope its 2010 all over again for the Big unit. He's 25 so according to the experts they start to shine about now.

I have high hopes (that I'm trying to contain) but reasonably low expectations... Neeld knows him extremely well, and went after him pretty hard, so that has to mean something.

Sounds great in theory.

If we keep a fit list anything can happen .

Sofa So Good.

• Like 1

...If you're comparing our lack of small forward to the saints with Milne, then it's a harsh comparison, because he's the most dangerous small forward I've ever seen.

Millera 19 goals, Saad 28 goals, Milne 56 goals, and they go and recruit Dennis-Lane...

Hawthorn: Breust 45 goals, Rioli 39 goals, Puopolo 24 goals and they've got Brad Hill, who I like, coming through.

At Essendon Davey kicked 29 and Jetta 22.

Carlton: Betts 48 and Garlett 29.

Sydney have an amazing array of midfield goal kickers, but they still had the very handy McGlynn with 30 goals. I won't go through every team...

I reckon it is great that we've got Burns and I expect Kent to fill a void. Most clubs have a decent array of reliable mid size goal kickers and it's an area of concern for Melbourne. It's great having Clark and Dawes create opportunities, as well as kicking goals, but right now we don't have the class to capitalise on all of those opportunities. I'm surprised supporters are so happy with our current small forwards and flankers.

It's quite amazing that people can ignore your humour Stuie!

He's prolific !

Millera 19 goals, Saad 28 goals, Milne 56 goals, and they go and recruit Dennis-Lane...

Hawthorn: Breust 45 goals, Rioli 39 goals, Puopolo 24 goals and they've got Brad Hill, who I like, coming through.

At Essendon Davey kicked 29 and Jetta 22.

Carlton: Betts 48 and Garlett 29.

Sydney have an amazing array of midfield goal kickers, but they still had the very handy McGlynn with 30 goals. I won't go through every team...

I reckon it is great that we've got Burns and I expect Kent to fill a void. Most clubs have a decent array of reliable mid size goal kickers and it's an area of concern for Melbourne. It's great having Clark and Dawes create opportunities, as well as kicking goals, but right now we don't have the class to capitalise on all of those opportunities. I'm surprised supporters are so happy with our current small forwards and flankers.

Blease went alright of hff.

Kicked 7 one day didn't he.

I did try and make light of our disagreements but that was met with the usual type of conceited ( and vicious personal attack) response rather than sharing the humour.

I prefer to just leave a cream pie on the table and wait for Stuie to slam it into his own face.

His comic genius lies in his inherent ability to be all 3 stooges at once.

Any danger we can go back to talking about spears and heads instead of abusing each other?

OK. Spearheads.

Mitch Dawes Howe Hogan Blease .

How do we get it there is more the point.

i think small forwards are the easiest players to recruit, as you can place undersized mids who need to work into their fitness in this position (blease), you can recruit them through the draft (saad, mileara) or you can play older midfielders through this role (davey)

we worked hard on drafting the key blocks, and we have sorted out our backline, midfield and key position forwards, now all we need to recruit is a crumber at their feet. Dom barry may well fit into the role, byrnes and rodan will spend enough time through the midfield but can play the crumbing role.

the fact is, the small forward will be the cream that can top the cake which is in all a pretty solid list that has been built, is our forward line our weakest area, no that would be our midfield and even our ruck stocks. we need one more jet midfielder who can top off our hard workers, sylvia was meant to be this player but hasnt grown into the position, hopefully toumpas and viney will.

our forwardline is pretty strong and i would feel if we have a line up of

Davey Dawes Blease

Howe Clark Sylvia

it is looking pretty sharp?

Edited by Mad_Melbourne
  • Like 1

Blease will be better for us up the ground, he can kick goals but is not going to be a Betts or Milne, he can be a goal kicking mid like the Sydney crew.

Howey will play a mix of mid and forward and gives us something and whilst it would be good to have that opportunist forward they have not been instrumental in the big one. They can help get you there but more often than not they can be stopped when the going gets tough.

Stevie J is another and since he has spent more time moving between forward and mid, well it makes him really hard to stop, nearly impossible.

We need goal kicking mids, class players who make the most of their opportunities.

I think with Hogan, Clark , Dawes we will have the tall side covered.

Blease will be better for us up the ground, he can kick goals but is not going to be a Betts or Milne, he can be a goal kicking mid like the Sydney crew.

Howey will play a mix of mid and forward and gives us something and whilst it would be good to have that opportunist forward they have not been instrumental in the big one. They can help get you there but more often than not they can be stopped when the going gets tough.

Stevie J is another and since he has spent more time moving between forward and mid, well it makes him really hard to stop, nearly impossible.

We need goal kicking mids, class players who make the most of their opportunities.

I think with Hogan, Clark , Dawes we will have the tall side covered.

Agree with Blease, we would get the most out of him playing as an outside mid/wing who rests up forward, although he does need to improve his disposal and defence.