Will Neale Daniher ever coach again?

ashdemons22

Nah man... I might have been a little smart with your one dimensional comment, but I probably should have quoted the OP, not your post in hindsight.

Being the footy manager at these big clubs ... would be good coin, and no where near the stress as coaching, Daniher would be silly to consider coming back IMO

• Like 1

Daniher and Cameron re-built the list in the late 90's, finding 10 players who would go on to play 100 games or more. But unfortunately, that feat could not be repeated.

We were good enough to play finals in 6 out of 9 years and in 2006 we were the best side in Victoria. (You would all have to admit the future seemed pretty rosy when you saw Mclean demolish St. Kilda in that elimination final).

2007 was ravaged by an unprecedented number of injuries. It accelerated the decline of many older players and exposed just how shallow the list was.

Be it a failure of recruitment or player development, there were too few ready to take over from the side Daniher had built 8 years earlier. We’ve paid for it.

I don't know about you WD, but I could see the team wasn't going to go anywhere from about 2004/5 onwards. As you said we made the finals in 2006, but really we were pretenders.

the truth is we were never going anywhere under Danners, or the board/admin we were under, & things Had to change.

Like it or not, the culture was woeful thru that time.

We are now on the right track, but have to maintain the disciplines that are slowly being instilled.

Before I give my answer, I must say my piece.

There were two epochs that defined Neale's time at Melbourne. In his early days, he was uncompromising, perhaps to his own detriment. He cut 10 blokes off the list, gave a lot of young blokes a shot yet he didn't take his eye off the ball and also retained experience. He didn't spare anyone. Yet, he was probably too much of a control freak and didn't delegate as much as he should have. This perhaps was a reason behind the inconsistent performances of the time.

By 2006, the monkey was off the back as far as 'season on/season off' went and a solid core of players had been established. As with a lot of blokes who have been in organizations too long, Neale may have started to be too familiar his surroundings. He didn't have a vision for the next 10 years for the club and was more interested in holding on to his job. Therefore, he started to play favorites who he knew what he would get from them as opposed to playing some kids who might be a little more up and down. I think by the end of his tenure the board, and probably he, realized he had been at the club for as long as he could have been and taken the list as far as he could.

Was Neale an awful coach? The people who talk all kinds of crap about how he 'wrecked the club' are absolute wafflers. He, and Swooper Northey, gave me some of my best memories as a Melbourne supporter (which is saying something). Like Tom Baker playing the Fourth Doctor, he hung around probably 2 seasons too long.

Will he coach again? To be honest, he missed his chance when Essendon passed him over. I think he may have had some success there. He hadn't set foot in Windy Hill for nearly ten years. The place would have been like a new place to him. He would have felt he had something to prove and he had a list there that was still pretty handy (Lloyd and Lucas were still on board).

But since he has been out of it now for 6 years, that train has sailed.

Perspective says that's a stupid comparison.

Really need to spoon feed some people here....

It's not a comparison of coaching skills, it's a comparison of the outlooks of a lot here who are quick to bag a coach who took us to finals and a GF while praising a coach who took us to 4 wins last year.

I don't know about you WD, but I could see the team wasn't going to go anywhere from about 2004/5 onwards. As you said we made the finals in 2006, but really we were pretenders.

the truth is we were never going anywhere under Danners, or the board/admin we were under, & things Had to change.

Like it or not, the culture was woeful thru that time.

We are now on the right track, but have to maintain the disciplines that are slowly being instilled.

Rubbish post.

Daniher took us to a Grand Final. Neeld is yet to prove if he's a good or bad coach.

FMD. Tappy and McKenzie are the new Mortons, and apparently Daniher is the new Bailey.

Last night it came to my attention that Neale Daniher is still around in the football coaching circles.

Does any one think he will ever be a senior coach again?

Do you guys rate him?

I loved Neale, yes good and bad in his coaching, curious to what you think.

Who.....no, sorry, who cares? :wacko:

• Like 1

Daniher got us to the Prelim in 98, one of the greatest climbs up the ladder in one season in the history of the league. Then got us to a granny in 2000, followed by finals in 02 04 and 06. Considering where the club was in 96/97, id say Daniher did a very good job. We didnt get the cup but nevertheless we did a whole lot better than couldve been imagined on that night in August 96. MFC has some weak as [censored] supporters with memories of goldfish. credit given where credit is due. Not one poster has tried to say hes an all time great coach but to try and say he was no good is just very very lame. Its all so easy to sit back on the couch and bag players/coaches / umpires.

• Like 4

Daniher got us to the Prelim in 98, one of the greatest climbs up the ladder in one season in the history of the league. Then got us to a granny in 2000, followed by finals in 02 04 and 06. Considering where the club was in 96/97, id say Daniher did a very good job. We didnt get the cup but nevertheless we did a whole lot better than couldve been imagined on that night in August 96. MFC has some weak as [censored] supporters with memories of goldfish. credit given where credit is due. Not one poster has tried to say hes an all time great coach but to try and say he was no good is just very very lame. Its all so easy to sit back on the couch and bag players/coaches / umpires.

What happened in '01 - '03 and '05 then O ye of great memory.

2000 was a good year.

The rest were inconsistent rubbish, even those when we staggered into the finals.

Also left the list worse than he found it.

Something we're still paying for now.

Edited by My TD
  • Like 1

yes i know those years were no good. but to ignore the fact he took teh side to finals and a grand final is ignoring all the facts. nobody is calling him a coaching great but he is one of only two coaches to get melbourne to a prelim final or a grand final in nearly 50 years. that should not be ignored just so that posters can feel good criticisng him.

• Like 1

Under Daniher supporters went to games expecting to win. This is a far cry from what we've experienced over the past six years or so. We had no money, poor facilities but were respected. We turned rookies and low draft picks into players. Ward, Walsh, Collins, Bruce, Leoncelli, Rigoni, jmac etc. Above all, Daniher's results speak for themselves.

• Like 1

No chance. Doesn't have a back up game plan and is too one dimensional.

If you think ND isn't smart then you are the dumb one. He has been involved continuously at other clubs and would be a significantly better coach the second time around. As would most people. Not sure about you though!

If you think ND isn't smart then you are the dumb one. He has been involved continuously at other clubs and would be a significantly better coach the second time around. As would most people. Not sure about you though!

Jnr, so was bomber Riley.

So was 'Choco' Williams.

yes i know those years were no good. but to ignore the fact he took teh side to finals and a grand final is ignoring all the facts. nobody is calling him a coaching great but he is one of only two coaches to get melbourne to a prelim final or a grand final in nearly 50 years. that should not be ignored just so that posters can feel good criticisng him.

We wasted nearly 10 Years under Daniher, & a similar amount under the previous coach.

Thats 20 Years, 2 decades right there gone, wasted for poor underperfoming Results with reasonable lists to develop. 2 nice guys who dee livered nice results.

We finally have a hard ass who has the guts & hopefully everlasting tenacity to produce the Ultimate result/s.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

We wasted nearly 10 Years under Daniher, & a similar amount under the previous coach.

Thats 20 Years, 2 decades right their gone, wasted for poor underperfoming Results with reasonable lists to develop. 2 nice guys who dee livered nice results.

We finally have a hard ass who has the guts & hopefully everlasting tenacity to produce the Ultimate result/s.

Get your hand out of Neeld's pants mate.

Daniher took us to finals and a Grand Final. As much as we all like Neeld, he's yet to prove if he's a good coach or not.

Ridiculous post.

Get your hand out of Neeld's pants mate.

Daniher took us to finals and a Grand Final. As much as we all like Neeld, he's yet to prove if he's a good coach or not.

Ridiculous post.

Coming from someone who would still have Moloney in the leadership group today.

20 years of under performing is spot on.

Stuie you have just been conditioned to accept mediocraty.

Lift ya game son.

Coming from someone who would still have Moloney in the leadership group today.

20 years of under performing is spot on.

Stuie you have just been conditioned to accept mediocraty.

Lift ya game son.

Hahahaha... Have you read any of my posts in the last year mate? I was glad Beamer was shown the door, definitely time for him to move on, I was just annoyed then with the lack of respect, same as this thread.

You all wheel out this "accepting mediocrity" line whenever it suits you so you can bag out anyone from our past. That is VERY weak.

You guys are praising a coach who got us to 4 wins while bagging one who got us to a GF and you think I'm the one accepting mediocrity? Yeah, nice logic as usual WYL.

Hahahaha... Have you read any of my posts in the last year mate? I was glad Beamer was shown the door, definitely time for him to move on, I was just annoyed then with the lack of respect, same as this thread.

You all wheel out this "accepting mediocrity" line whenever it suits you so you can bag out anyone from our past. That is VERY weak.

You guys are praising a coach who got us to 4 wins while bagging one who got us to a GF and you think I'm the one accepting mediocrity? Yeah, nice logic as usual WYL.

no Stuie. You are not addressing the Rollercoaster years.

What other club has ever had that effect from 1997-2007??? It was atrocious and your bizzare logic will not sway me one iota.

As for Moloney and respect...They are not spoken in the same sentence. I hope the club never speak to him again.

He should refund last years wage and repay the members.

Just watch him play well for the Bears.

Then you may understand.