Team for Round 1

GawnWithTheWind

Great. As a fifth year player and fully fit, I hope he kills it this year.

As a fifth year player I hope he kills it too. The big difference is, for the first time, he's done a preseason and a good one at that.

I'd be happy to consign an injury prone underachiever to the scrap heap after 4 years, but I'd like to actually see what he can do given he's finally fit.

The OTHER reason, as listed below is his versatility.

Nicholson was going at 71.7% effective disposals per game last year. Is that below average?

And at 66% over the weekend. Is that good enough coming out of the back half? Debatable, but he does turn the ball over under pressure and at critical times. When we talk about our kicking needing to improve, Nicho is on the list.

I'm not saying he's no good, merely that I'd have Jetta ahead of him based on progress made.

• Like 1

Here's my take on it. If Watts plays back which I think he will it will be as an offensive rebounder, he won't be marked to play against any particular opponent pygmie or tall, that decision will be made by the opposition coach and will be in most cases their most effective defensive forward. Opposition teams won't want the ball in Watts' hands because he is one of the few in our team that can use the ball well and create scoring opportunities.

I agree with you, BUT even in this role he has to be accountable with good defensive attributes. I reckon he'll get exposed.

It will be a very interesting season for Watts. The expectations are that he'll take a resounding leap forward. Many supporters predict he'll be the big improver. I don't share those sentiments.

Gents,

How did young Jimmy Toumpas fare? There have been mixed reviews on D'land some saying he's a little lost and should start in the VFL as other said he's an all out gun? What is the general consensus?

It looks like young Ollie Wines will slot straight into the ports mid field round 1, will Toumpas slot into ours?

Gents,

How did young Jimmy Toumpas fare? There have been mixed reviews on D'land some saying he's a little lost and should start in the VFL as other said he's an all out gun? What is the general consensus?

It looks like young Ollie Wines will slot straight into the ports mid field round 1, will Toumpas slot into ours?

I love Toumpas and he'll become a terrific player, but he had a poor game. The pick up in pace exposed him a little, but it didn't help that he had ordinary players around him.

Once he gets comfortable with the speed and our midfield improves in general he'll be good. He'll play most games this year, because the club needs him to get experience and he's good enough.

• Like 2

Trengove and Clark won't play round one. Not sure about Blease but I'm putting him in. With no Clark and Dawes not being 100% I think Spencer should be given a run to allow Jamar to rotate forward. So big Pencil is also in.

FWIW Watts will be one of our most important players this year floating across half back. To the few of you on here who don't rate him as a 'defender' or at all for that matter will be reassessing your views come seasons end. Can look laconic at times but I believe his competitiveness will come to the fore this year. Reads the play impeccably well and is arguably the best user of the footy we have. A must across half back.

B. Jetta Frawley Garland

HB Watts McDonald Dunn

C. Blease Jones Howe

HF. Sylvia Sellar Rodan

F. Byrnes Dawes Toumpas

R. Jamar Mackenzie Grimes

I/C. Viney Davey Spencer

SUB. Tapscott

EMG. Nicholson (for Blease)

• Like 1

Round 1 2012:

Backs Joel Macdonald James Frawley Clint Bartram

Half backs Rohan Bail Jared Rivers Colin Garland

Centreline Jack Watts Jack Grimes Nathan Jones

Half forwards Jack Trengove Brad Green Jeremy Howe

Forwards Aaron Davey Mitchell Clark Stefan Martin

Followers Mark Jamar Brent Moloney James Magner

Interchange Matthew Bate Sam Blease Jordie McKenzie Josh Tynan

Emergencies Thomas Couch Lynden Dunn James Sellar

So many poor kicks in that line-up. Toumpas, Strauss, Viney, Byrnes and Rodan should improve our skill level straight away. Dawes should be an upgrade on Martin. Be interesting to see how many keep their spots 12 months on. It looks like 50% of the team could be different.

I love Toumpas and he'll become a terrific player, but he had a poor game. The pick up in pace exposed him a little, but it didn't help that he had ordinary players around him.

Once he gets comfortable with the speed and our midfield improves in general he'll be good. He'll play most games this year, because the club needs him to get experience and he's good enough.

... and he's been playing in senior company (albeit at SANFL level) for two years which means he won't find it as hard to adapt to the pace of things as some others might.

• Like 2

It didn't fill me with great confidence to hear Neeld say he is competing with Sellar. We lost that trade badly if that's the case and Neeld is probably thinking the same thing.

I think the FD would be disappointed that he came into the pre season a little underdone. There seemed to be something not right with him at North and I hope it is not attitude and preparation or he won't last under Neeld.

... and he's been playing in senior company (albeit at SANFL level) for two years which means he won't find it as hard to adapt to the pace of things as some others might.

If he gets a run next week, his performance might give an insight as to his first game prospects. Hope he makes it, but if he doesn't he'll get his chance before long as he looks a polished and potentially damaging unit. Would like to see Blease , Toumpas and Byrnes causing a few headaches for others and running into spaces created by Dawes and Clark. Having a couple of premiership players in the forward half shouldnt do us any harm.

Re other selections Misson has indicated Clark and Trengove should be right for round one. (JT could end up the sub perhaps) Blease and McDonald would be walk ups. So just maybe, we could go in with a decent looking outfit to start off with.

• Like 1

You dont rate Nicholson? WOW

He is ultra competitive one on one. Does not get beaten to often. Plays tight

Has expolsive pace good run and carry . Kicking is above average. Your reason is??

Mckenzie is in and under doing the hard thing, great tackler good tagger and yes his kicking is not great but he gives 100% every time. You need players like this

If you think his kicking is above average I cant take anything you say seriously. Has pace agree, has pace also agree and finally yes I agree he has pace.

Agree McKenzie gives his all and tackles well but he is a liability when we have the ball. We are more or less playing one down in the middle.

• Like 1

Trengove and Clark won't play round one. Not sure about Blease but I'm putting him in. With no Clark and Dawes not being 100% I think Spencer should be given a run to allow Jamar to rotate forward. So big Pencil is also in.

FWIW Watts will be one of our most important players this year floating across half back. To the few of you on here who don't rate him as a 'defender' or at all for that matter will be reassessing your views come seasons end. Can look laconic at times but I believe his competitiveness will come to the fore this year. Reads the play impeccably well and is arguably the best user of the footy we have. A must across half back.

B. Jetta Frawley Garland

HB Watts McDonald Dunn

C. Blease Jones Howe

HF. Sylvia Sellar Rodan

F. Byrnes Dawes Toumpas

R. Jamar Mackenzie Grimes

I/C. Viney Davey Spencer

SUB. Tapscott

EMG. Nicholson (for Blease)

I am most comfortable with this team, however, if available, i would have Clark for Spencer and Trengove for Mackenzie.

mackenzie is frightened to kick, he is always looking for a handball and it gets him into trouble, not as much trouble as his kicking, but enough to make him a liability as turnover kill us big time.

Sylvia, hmmmm drop him to give him a kick in the butt to try to get him to put in, he has not impressed in any matches that I have seen, and as a senior player needs to stand up.

Davey, hmmm again an issue with performance, love the guy as a player, as when he has the ball he uses it better than most, he just does not get the ball often enough, he just seems to get lost and does not know where or how to go to find the ball. always being led to the ball by his opponents. Needs to find some form in the VFL.

I would bring in Matt Jones for mackenzie and Terlich for Slyvia, Kent for Davey

Round 1 2012:

So many poor kicks in that line-up. Toumpas, Strauss, Viney, Byrnes and Rodan should improve our skill level straight away. Dawes should be an upgrade on Martin. Be interesting to see how many keep their spots 12 months on. It looks like 50% of the team could be different

Rivers aint a dee anymore mate

Round 1 2012:

So many poor kicks in that line-up. Toumpas, Strauss, Viney, Byrnes and Rodan should improve our skill level straight away. Dawes should be an upgrade on Martin. Be interesting to see how many keep their spots 12 months on. It looks like 50% of the team could be different.

Rivers aint a dee anymore mate

Neither are Bate, Moloney, Bartram, Green... Maybe that should give you a hint to look at the post closer....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised to see Jetta in a few of these teams. He wouldn't be in mine. Anyone care to make the case for his inclusion?

If you'd seen any preseason training or practice matches you wouldn't be asking the question.

I'd bet my house on the fact that Neeld will have in the team for round 1.

I'll give you a week to move your stuff out. Just leave the keys in the letterbox. Cheers.

Or did you mean your online home, Demonland?