2013 Phantom Drafts

Whispering_Jack

I like Quigley's phantom drafts because he doesn't mind having unpopular or strange views on players, but I think he's way off here.

Crouch, Sheed and Dunstan (to MFC) in the top 10??

I'd be surprised if 1 of them was.

He has interesting and detailed views, but if my memory serves me correctly, he rated Josh Greene as being top 4 in his draft.

Everyone has some misses, Quigley is brave but probably has more than most.

He gives Dunstan a big wrap initially then goes through his skills which are big turn off; so what is it, is he good, or is he just very ordinary?

One thing that is giving me the irrits about this year's draft is the 'Brent Harvey' comparisons that are going around.

I've seen four players, who play very differing roles, been compared to Harvey, and it's, quite frankly, an insult to anyone reading your opinions.

Just tell it like it is: he's under 180 cms, and I'm lazy.

He gives Dunstan a big wrap initially then goes through his skills which are big turn off; so what is it, is he good, or is he just very ordinary?

It was quite a conflicted analysis of Dunstan. On one hand he focused on how he was SA MVP and then he spent considerable time outlining the areas which Dunstan does not excel in. Personally I would be surprised if we went for him next Thursday.

Ouch!

Yeah, but I have come to appreciate McLean as he has morphed into Gysberts, then Pedersen.

All being said - and I think that Pedersen will get over the low bar of having a better second season - I would prefer to still have McLean...

• Like 1

Yeah, but I have come to appreciate McLean as he has morphed into Gysberts, then Pedersen.

All being said - and I think that Pedersen will get over the low bar of having a better second season - I would prefer to still have McLean...

That's like asking a 4 year old if he's prefer to have the Brussels Sprouts or the Cabbage for Dessert, not a great choice there.

• Like 2

I was listening to Finney on SEN on my way home and he did a phantom draft with two (expert) guests (didn't catch their names). They had us taking Salem at 9. Whilst I have heard his name and read up on him in other phantom drafts, I have not heard his name too much on here. His draft combine results seem good, does any one have any info on him?

It was Brett Anderson and Nigel Carmody, the player agent from ESP. Anderson said he didn't think Melbourne would take Aish, a bit too much like Toumpas, a little bit outside, doesn't win enough inside ball. It's a toss of a coin between Salem & Freeman. A hard choice, he rated Salem slightly ahead of Freeman, but Melbourne may rate it the other way, but doesn't think Melbourne can get it wrong either way.

Carmody said both are powerful players, and a good fit for where Melbourne are going. Melbourne are well placed after netting a number of mids in the trade period are set to add to that with a really good selection , will add the 4th or 5th best midfielder in the draft and, over the years, the rule of thumb is that you get a really good player with that pick. He doesn't think Melbourne can miss out if either of those guys (Salem & Freeman) are available.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a clue, though Freeman is clearly quicker, and is a bigger body..Freeman

Can he kick?

Today's game is about controlling the footy, my understanding is Salem is the best kick in the draft, so you have the speed of Freeman v the foot skills of Salem, at this stage give me the foot skills.

• Like 1

Can he kick?

Today's game is about controlling the footy, my understanding is Salem is the best kick in the draft, so you have the speed of Freeman v the foot skills of Salem, at this stage give me the foot skills.

Salem’s kicking is in the top few, his penetration probably shades Kelly and Aish, I reckon Billings is right there with him. Salem’s decision making, whilst good, probably below the others (I rate the other 3 as excellent decision makers).

TBH, I don’t see a lot wrong with Salem’s game. He does need to pick his endurance up a bit to become a full time midfielder, he can go quiet for periods in games. He has played more as an outside player due to his kicking ability, but does win his share of contested ball.

Freeman’s not in the top few for kicking ability, but he’s not a bad kick of the football. I think he lacks a bit of composure in his decision making and rushes his kicks, usually because he tries to do a lot at full pace. I hope he is able to clean that up, he’s certainly shown a willingness to accept feedback and work on weaknesses in his game. I’d like to see him run a bit harder (or smarter) defensively. He seems extremely coachable, and I wonder whether he might have had a higher profile if he hadn’t missed the U’16’s champs through injury and last year’s 18’s because he was away w/ family.

I see more upside to Freeman, I think he’ll absolutely thrive in a high performance environment (this is not meant as a knock on Salem, I think he becomes a very good player too). I just have this mental picture of finals footy, where there are one on one contests all over the ground, and Freeman’s game being invaluable in this type of situation where yardage is crucial. He can win contested ball and gain you 80 metres in a flash.

• Like 1

Freeman is a not a great kick, but he's not a complete ball butcher either. If you're assessing Salem v Freeman. You're looking at Salem's versatility ( he can probably play in defence/run with roles) his kicking, probably a more consistent player, up against an outstanding physical specimen in Freeman, who loves to take the game on, has tested sensationally all through his junior career, but is more of a haphazard but destructive player, with an OK, but not piercing kick.

Its an interesting conundrum, you could argue that getting Cross, Michie, Vince, Tyson, Riley gives you the freedom to swing for the fences and take Freeman. But then again Salem probably fits the mould of the player Paul Roos has historically used, with the more rounded game.

Edited by goodoil
  • Like 4

Freeman is a not a great kick, but he's not a complete ball butcher either. If you're assessing Salem v Freeman. You're looking at Salem's versatility ( he can probably play in defence/run with roles) his kicking, probably a more consistent player, up against an outstanding physical specimen in Freeman, who loves to take the game on, has tested sensationally all through his junior career, but is more of a haphazard but destructive player, with an OK, but not piercing kick.

Its an interesting conundrum, you could argue that getting Cross, Michie, Vince, Tyson, Riley gives you the freedom to swing for the fences and take Freeman. But then again Salem probably fits the mould of the player Paul Roos has historically used, with the more rounded game.

One of them seems certain to be there at 9 if not both.

Well that's a great cop out, but I'm interested in who you'd take with a relatively uneducated opinion..?

With my uneducated opinion I would take Scharenberg then Freeman then Salem according to availability.

Scharenberg appears to be the best player. Freeman offers the pace and Salem a great kick and hardness in the Hodge mould.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

But if both are, who do you choose?

I'd go with Freeman.

I'm very concerned when we look back in 5 years if we take Salem we'll be saying gee he's a good footballer, but Freeman is elite. Watch Patty Dangerfields TAC Cup highlights and they literally mirror Freeman's. Didn't look like he liked hard ball, and some wonky kicking. You'd say now it's his two best attributes. Playing footy myself, a bad lead can destroy any attempt of a good kick and it happens so much at this level of footy.. The intangibles are too irresistible to turn down with Freeman and I'd be devastated if he was available and we didn't take him. Edited by Arrow

Pedo needs to find a bit more courage.He is definitely capable of being a decent AFL footballer, but does he want it badly enough to put his body at risk when required.

Callum Twomey of the Afl has posted his phantom draft on afl website. Sorry cannot add link.

Has us taking Salem at pick 9.

Given the new security standards at the club with no leaks coming out I don't think anyone outside the club has a clue who we will pick and that's a good thing.