Nine Days in the Top End

Barney Rubble

Yeah. I was doing it with Ron Clarke, Tony Cook, John Kneen (lesser known but won the New York Marathon). Coach was a primary teacher, Frank McMahon. I remember Frank seeing De Castella as a 15yo at a Sunbury cross country meet (there were few houses then), and picked him straight off as a champ.

I remember the Sunbury course and Point Cook for the Vic Marathon. Those runners plus Derek Clayton were at the top of the tree.

It would be great to see our young runners back up there, but these days money plays such a part - which is why so many line up to play football and its various codes.

But it's good to see training programs from other endurance sports, such as distance running, are being adapted for our brand of football.

The altitude training is actually about blood thickening I believe

I am unsure of the physiological benefits of heat / humidity training, and whether they are long term or not, but I guess it may be a more realistic simulation of running around and getting exhausted on game day than the altitude stuff.

Possibly the 'blood thickening' effects of altitude ie increased oxygen carrying capacity (short lived I believe anyway, not a full season for certain) could even be a negative for burst type sports.

Our game is an interesting mixture of both.

Does anyone know if sprinters do the altitude thing or just endurance athletes??

Really i thought it thinned the blood so oxygen could travel faster....i must do more research

most of us here followed football before the age of beep tests and altitude training and ice vests and all the rest of the sports science garbage that dominates the conversation of modern football. It used to be a matter of knowing where to be and how to get the football, having the balls to go and get the football and having the skills to use the football properly. These are the factors that make good footballers, if you don't believe that go and have a track and field event with Morton and Gysberts

Really i thought it thinned the blood so oxygen could travel faster....i must do more research

too late to think but what it is upposed to is make the blood travel faster WHEN you get back down to a lower altitude.

most of us here followed football before the age of beep tests and altitude training and ice vests and all the rest of the sports science garbage that dominates the conversation of modern football. It used to be a matter of knowing where to be and how to get the football, having the balls to go and get the football and having the skills to use the football properly. These are the factors that make good footballers, if you don't believe that go and have a track and field event with Morton and Gysberts

But when the other team wasn't out on the turps and these days other things the night before or even the week before, no matter how good you are you're gonna get smashed by the opposition.

The days of a champion player having a liquid lunch and a couple of pies before the match and playing a blinder are over.

• Like 1

I remember the Sunbury course and Point Cook for the Vic Marathon. Those runners plus Derek Clayton were at the top of the tree.

It would be great to see our young runners back up there, but these days money plays such a part - which is why so many line up to play football and its various codes.

But it's good to see training programs from other endurance sports, such as distance running, are being adapted for our brand of football.

They were good times, but Vietnam intervened for me. University provided exemption, which was probably the best option as my number was picked out. Gough Whitlam was elected some months later. Not much point in thinking what may have happened some 40 years ago, but they were tumultuous, and my adult sons don't understand.

They were good times, but Vietnam intervened for me. University provided exemption, which was probably the best option as my number was picked out. Gough Whitlam was elected some months later. Not much point in thinking what may have happened some 40 years ago, but they were tumultuous, and my adult sons don't understand.

My marble was odd, or was it even can't remember, so was not an issue for me.

But I embarked on a career of sex and dugs and rock an roll and didn't take up running until I was 29.

I quickly found alove for it; was quite good at distances.

Since then have travelled the world. Lived in Thailand since 2000 and still runnearly every day.

I have run in the heat of the Middle East, The humidity of Hong Kong and Thailand.

So, I know the effects strenuos exercise has in hot climes like Darwin.

That is why I fully support this program the club is doing.

I like to think that Neeld and Missen are ahead of the curve.

Puntkick, I was suggesting that perhaps the word drop could be substituted for punt as your post was both borderline misogynist and racist.

So you didn't mean exchanging the "P" for another letter, one a little earlier in the alphabet?

Under the circumstances, perhaps appropriate.

• Like 2

But I embarked on a career of sex and dugs and rock an roll and didn't take up running until I was 29.

Since then have travelled the world. Lived in Thailand since 2000 and still runnearly every day.

I have run in the heat of the Middle East, The humidity of Hong Kong and Thailand.

Very strange times, and glad my boys (now men) didn't have to go through. Unfortunately, I didn't follow up athletics, unlike you.

I have no qualms, with this program. I'm loving the idea of the Kakadu Hike.

• Like 1

probably the worst post you've ever made here, and that's saying something....

Very strange times, and glad my boys (now men) didn't have to go through. Unfortunately, I didn't follow up athletics, unlike you.

I have no qualms, with this program. I'm loving the idea of the Kakadu Hike.

Yes, I am glad my son in Melbourne (now 37) didn't have to go through the draft. They have it here in Thailand. My stepson had to try his luck a couple of years back. Although they are not being shipped off to please Uncle Sam here, it is quite a disruption.

And, like you I think the Kakudu hike will be great - team building stuff.

just sayin what? that you know better than the highly-paid elite fitness people at the club?

well you're about as consistent as Morton with these posts...

Ah yes, the age when there wasn't such a thing as a professional sports person and where players ate pies and drank beers at half time.

I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but a player back then wouldn't last a season now.

As you mentioned talent is vital but if you aren't fit/physical enough then don't bother. Using your example - look at Morton and Gysbets... Players born 50 years too late.

• Like 1

Ah yes, the age when there wasn't such a thing as a professional sports person and where players ate pies and drank beers at half time.

I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but a player back then wouldn't last a season now.

As you mentioned talent is vital but if you aren't fit/physical enough then don't bother. Using your example - look at Morton and Gysbets... Players born 50 years too late.

My Brother was reminiscing the other day about when he saw Greg Parke having a dart at 3/4 time.

• Like 2

I know what you mean, but you're sailing close to the edge of being known as a footballing troglodyte when you throw a blanket over and slam sports science. Great footballers would be great footballers in any era imo, but there's no doubt players are fitter, run faster, run harder, run for longer, hit harder, jump higher, etc. due to modern training and practices.

They just don't kick straighter for goal.

• Like 1

I remember it well stingrays My number did not come out thank god.

I lost two friends one I worked with and another was a brother of a friend.

I also have a friend that started down the booze course as a result.

Took him 25 years to recover.

Going well now thank god.

Wars are crap no matter the reason.

Yes you are right people who were not around have little understanding

When Collingwood go to Arizona they get altitude training, and a high temperature climate..... Plus all the HGH they can handle....lol

Not so sure about the high temperatures though. Currently Tucson, which I presume is lower than the training camps, is running just above zero nights and low 20s days.

But when the other team wasn't out on the turps and these days other things the night before or even the week before, no matter how good you are you're gonna get smashed by the opposition.The days of a chamion player having a liquid lunch and a couple of pies before the match and playing a blinder are over.

My Brother was reminiscing the other day about when he saw Greg Parke having a dart at 3/4 time.

Should these be on the Dayle Garlett thread? :-)

They did the draft every six months.

Put marbles numbered 1 to 182 in a barrel these numbers represented your birth date.

drew out the numbers to account for approx the number of people they needed.

If you birth date / number came out you were drafted

Did it again six months later with 183 to 365

First time Australia had been on the losing side.

All for nothing but that is another story

The altitude training is actually about blood thickening I believe

I am unsure of the physiological benefits of heat / humidity training, and whether they are long term or not, but I guess it may be a more realistic simulation of running around and getting exhausted on game day than the altitude stuff.

Possibly the 'blood thickening' effects of altitude ie increased oxygen carrying capacity (short lived I believe anyway, not a full season for certain) could even be a negative for burst type sports.

Our game is an interesting mixture of both.

Does anyone know if sprinters do the altitude thing or just endurance athletes??

DOn't we have an altitude room at at the club? Cycling in an altitude room would give similar benefits I imagine.

They did the draft every six months.

Put marbles numbered 1 to 182 in a barrel these numbers represented your birth date.

drew out the numbers to account for approx the number of people they needed.

If you birth date / number came out you were drafted

Did it again six months later with 183 to 365

First time Australia had been on the losing side.

All for nothing but that is another story

Thanks for jogging my memory OD.

Here in Thailand it is a public event where the kid has to go up and pick a number out of a box - like a chook raffle.

As someone whose stepson went through it, I can tell you it's even more nerve racking than going to the letter box to see if you missed out.

Some of these pre-season conditioning experiences seem to be trying to address the main causes of fatigue. The main causes of fatigue in an afl game are fuel depletion and the build up of metabolic by-products that are both delayed by developing a higher oxygen carrying capacity and a more efficient aerobic energy system. Of equal importance is the players ability to keep their body temperature at a level that is not over the top. They do this by hydrating properly and cooling themselves, even in the winter! Poor thermoregulation means that the body will send more blood to the skin and organs to keep the core temperature down instead of sending enough blood to the working muscles to supply oxygen energy and to clear the metabolic by-products - therefore rapid fatigue.

The body can be trained to do a better job at thermoregulating and therefore, reduce the onset of rapid fatigue and this could be one of the objectives of the team's Darwin camp.

I thought that an athlete had to train at significant altitude for about six months to really develop more red blood cells, unless they combined a short term period of altitude training with EPO or blood doping. The same gains could be achieved with hypoxic tents or rooms in Melbourne.

The team-building positives are probably the main benefit of all AFL team's training camps.

• Like 3