Rookie Draft Changes

Mega_Watts

Has anyone heard anything about the AFL cutting the rookie list to four spots?

AFL clubs protest cut to rookie list.

Sounds like more "rules on the run" from the AFL.

Seems ridiculous if true, given the rookie list has been such a productive source of talent for all clubs.

This may explain why Jai Sheahan got cut (supposedly).

With Nicholson and Evans probably upgraded, and Lawrence and Sheahan cut, this would leave us with Magner, Williams and Couch on the rookie list still.

Thus cutting Sheahan allows us one pick at the rookie draft. Presumably the club thinks the talent available at Pick #3 in the rookie draft will be a better prospect than Sheahan.

A Club can have 4 rookies as Category A (Primary List Rookies) and can also have 3 Category B Rookies (Development and International). You can also list one Irish rookie on your primary list without going through the draft.

http://mm.afl.com.au...ookiesAug14.pdf

Collingwood have just listed a Cat B Rookie from Tasmania 2 days ago. Refer:

http://www.afl.com.a...57/default.aspx

With 18 Clubs it is time to look at other ways of accessing talent without going through a draft bidding system.

MFC don't have any Cat B rookies but may need to explore this in the future.

At the moment we have 6 primary list rookies: Nicholson, Magner, Couch, Williams, Evans and Sheahan.

If reports are true that Sheahan has been moved on we still have to delist or upgrade another rookie to meet our 2013 quota.

Nicholson is likely to be upgraded, therefore to participate in the rookie draft further upgrades or delistings will have to occur.

Your source states:

"Currently, Clubs may have a minimum of 4 and up to 8 rookie listed players. The maximum will reduce to 6 next year after the expansion phase of competition is complete.

In addition to these eight (six) rookie listed players, under Player Rule 21.1.2 each Club may include up to three additional players on its Rookie List (Cat B rookies)."

This seems to pretty clearly state the rookie list is staying at 6 spots.

However the article in the HUN is saying the rookie list is going to four spots: AFL clubs protest cut to rookie list

I'm not sure what to believe...

Does anyone know for certain what's actually happening?

This article relating to the Cats says that if you have 40 on your primary list you can only have 4 Cat A Rookies.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=149119

The Cats can keep their 2 Cat B Rookies.

Magnet will be upgraded (works his ass off)

Nicho will be upgraded.

Keep Couch for one more year on the list.

The rest is touch and go

• Like 3

Magnet will be upgraded (works his ass off)

Nicho will be upgraded.

Keep Couch for one more year on the list.

The rest is touch and go

I agree with this, however I think Williams should be extended, he too works his ass off!

So far Sheahan and Lawrence have been cut, and Evans to me is a 50/50.

I agree with this, however I think Williams should be extended, he too works his ass off!

So far Sheahan and Lawrence have been cut, and Evans to me is a 50/50.

Magner and Nicholson are must keeps. Nicholson is guaranteed an upgrade in my opinion. Someone in another thread said that he and Evans have 'iron-clad' agreements to be upgraded this year.

Evans had a better debut than Gysberts and has pace and goal sense, giving him a point of difference in our team. We sorely lack his strengths. I would be inclined to keep him even if he has no such agreement as mentioned above. Hopefully he can get over his injuries.

Williams looks pretty good, especially considering his meningitis and coma. Has size but will obviously struggle to push for selection in his second year, considering we have Clark and Dawes, plus most likely Pederson. I would keep him.

Couch is on thin ice, I think. He is incredibly slow and was less than impressive in the games he played. Looked fantastic in VFL games but I think he will be another Valenti and would not be surprised if we delisted him.

Lawrence is gone and it seems Sheahan as well.

I would like for us to invest in an overseas rookie after seeing what Pearce Hanley and Mike Pyke amongst others have done this year.

• Like 1

We should definitely up grade Nicholson, he is one of our fastest runners over 5km and he creates good run from the back line.

I hope we pick up an international rookie.

One of these American guys look fantastic.

They look like they can jump over tall buildings In a single bound and run as fast as a train.

We should definitely up grade Nicholson, he is one of our fastest runners over 5km and he creates good run from the back line.

They look like they can jump over tall buildings In a single bound and run as fast as a train.

Might be expensive. I don't think those American guys would stay for AFL rookie wages

Just saying

Might be expensive. I don't think those American guys would stay for AFL rookie wages

Just saying

Saying what?

There is also a Chinese ex volleyballer/basketballer that has good (very) raw skills with an unbelievable jump. Anyone know how developed his footy skills are? Here's some basic info...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/chen-seeks-jump-into-afl-at-draft-camp/story-fnelctok-1226488494047

Just saying

Surely they knew what the wages would look like before they came here for the draft camp.

Unless they were just trying to rip the AFL off to get themselves a free overseas holiday. In that case I salute them.

• Like 2

This article relating to the Cats says that if you have 40 on your primary list you can only have 4 Cat A Rookies.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=149119

The Cats can keep their 2 Cat B Rookies.

Would that make them Kittens?

I think it is "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"! Superman! It then falls down with the contradictory "truth, justice and the American way"!

Surely they knew what the wages would look like before they came here for the draft camp.

Unless they were just trying to rip the AFL off to get themselves a free overseas holiday. In that case I salute them.

these guys are 22,23 and 22. they could get contracts playing basketball outside the us on reasonable coin

they wouldn't want to settle for the basic low wage paid to 18 yo rookies

that's why i think they would expect more and why it could be expensive as these guys could be pushing 25 before (if) they were ready for afl

just how i see it

I really question the AFL's logic on this move. They keep talking about growing the game, and then they limit the opportunities for kids to transition to the top level even further. How does cutting back on rookies "grow the game?" If anything, they should introduce more rules that allow people a different pathway into the game.

I really question the AFL's logic on this move. They keep talking about growing the game, and then they limit the opportunities for kids to transition to the top level even further. How does cutting back on rookies "grow the game?" If anything, they should introduce more rules that allow people a different pathway into the game.

hardly limited opportunities. They just added about 80 opportunities due to the new franchises

list max still stays at 44 incl rookies, You can have 4 min rookies + 40 on list or 6 max rookies + 38 on list, so I don't see the issue.

all that's really happened is the pool has grown and the quality has been diluted

• Like 1

hardly limited opportunities. They just added about 80 opportunities due to the new franchises

list max still stays at 44 incl rookies, You can have 4 min rookies + 40 on list or 6 max rookies + 38 on list, so I don't see the issue.

all that's really happened is the pool has grown and the quality has been diluted

That may well be the truest thing you have said this month dc.

18 is too many clubs IMO