How much trouble is Port in?

darkhorse72

I dont think people are talking about melbourne WYL. They are talking about your ignorance and crystal ball/in retrospect thinking. You would easily dump other clubs out of the competition (Port and North as two examples) whilst blindly thinking the MFC has its own place in the leaugue.

it was ignorant to allow Port Adelaide into the competition in the first place.

Where did i state the MFC are safe? We are not..far from it.

But our problems are a lot different than Port Adelaide's, thus the easy comparison is not warranted.

And I thought the waiting for the conclusion of the trade period was frustrating....

yes the waiting for the conclusion of the Port Adelaide Football Club to be a part of the AFL will be monotonous and quite painful!

Even the SANFL themselves are milking the Power of coin. Half the board walked yesterday whilst Leon Cameron bolted to western bogan country.

It's not looking good.

No, the board did not walk away, they were sacked. The AFL take over the PA license in a year or two (not exactly privy to the date but its soon) and the AFL has asked others to step up. Including Koshi. . Yes the SANFL are milking the Crows and PA out of money but this will soon stop especially when the Adelaide oval is ready to play football and the AFL have the license.

Leon Cameron made a good decision to go to GWS. Their list of players have massive upside and they will be a force in future years.

With all these changes I'd think this are looking much better for PA. Off field

This is exactly the ignorance im referring too

Too much, and IMO the Port 'tribe' hasn't bought into the 'power'.

IMO they should lose the 'Teal', & go for 'Koori' colours,,,,

with the Port Magpies top 1/3rd of the Jumper. With vertical stripes of Red & a Golden colour,,, wider Golden stripes with narrowish Red stripes.

263px-Port_Adelaide_Magpies_Jumper.svg.png

I think the port people need to re identify with the club at the AFL level.

They need to bring the club to the port people.

They're is a message in all this to all AFL clubs IMO.

From what i heard on the radio, ( i listen to way too much SEN) the sanfl port magpies supporters hate the fact that a port adelaide team entered the afl, and they hate the port adelaide power.

Im not sure that changing the jumper would sway them.

You would easily dump other clubs out of the competition (Port and North as two examples) whilst blindly thinking the MFC has its own place in the leaugue.

So would I.

If I representing Melbourne and all the other clubs and myself were struggling to outrun a crowd of hungry zombies I would have no hesitation shooting other clubs in the knee so I could escape and the hoard would descend upon them and devour them.

Melbourne first- all other clubs can die for all I care. That's just how it is son.

• Like 1

This isn't to dig the boots in but to learn from and I'm curious about the view from Melbourne on the trouble there:

Just reading the latest fiasco of Port with regard to coaching, with the preferred candidate preferring to be a assistant at GWS for the future top job. On top of that:

1. They are broke, even worse than what we were

2. They have no coach or potential coaches queuing up to take over the club, with cameron preferring GWS obvisouly with the offer made to him.

* They seem to be scaring them away, maybe what is discussed in the interview process is scaring them. Or have they just been unprofessional in the process?

3. They are losing players faster than us, which is scary

4. Their new president will be present mainly via a video link, Koche... I have a mate who supports them and he despised how Dean Laidley often coached via video link as he lived in Melbourne, now the president is doing it.

5. They have a small supporter base, though I do see more port supporters around perth than Dee's.

When you compare some of our recent events at the Dee's and despite the left-field dramas not of our making, the club seems rock steady in its direction and plans.

So much conjecture :) If you use on field performance as a barometer then Melbourne have loads more problems. Port accounted for Melbourne easily.

Can't see the point is bagging PA? Doesn't make me feel any better .

No, the board did not walk away, they were sacked. The AFL take over the PA license in a year or two (not exactly privy to the date but its soon) and the AFL has asked others to step up. Including Koshi. . Yes the SANFL are milking the Crows and PA out of money but this will soon stop especially when the Adelaide oval is ready to play football and the AFL have the license.

Leon Cameron made a good decision to go to GWS. Their list of players have massive upside and they will be a force in future years.

With all these changes I'd think this are looking much better for PA. Off field

This is exactly the ignorance im referring too

you seem to know a lot about this train wreck.

All i know is they are a total liability and the fact that even a lot of Port Adelaide Magpie supporters even despise them it is a project that was not well thought out.

Do you think the Power supporters could or would ever clear the debt that has emerged? Or is that up to the greater AFL?

You think things are looking up for Port??

Ok Adelaide oval is apparently a clean stadium...That is there only hope. Trouble is we still have to carry this basket for another 18 months.

Please expand on how you think i am so ignorant. Choco Williams bolted at just the right moment.

Very good thread.

I have been disturbed by the Port situation and think what Roos said this week about the lesser clubs getting weaker is true.

There has to be a real lesson in this for us as well. As much as we think we can attract talent the truth is we will struggle as much as Port and others at the lower end.

Free agency will drain away good players looking for sucess leaving us (and others) to try and pick up the crumbs. The reality is that high draft picks dont guarantee you good AFL players the process is very much hit and miss.

What is likely to happen is one by one the bottom teams will have their talent cherry picked, supporters will lose heart, and do it goes on.

This is a very serious issue for the AFL.

We will be treated to the usual media and AFl suggestion its the fault of particular clubs but I think this is a depper systemic issue.

Free Agency will only help clubs up the ladder as they will be the first choice of any player.

Take the Goddard situation they get virtually for free a a rank player forcing their B class players out to lower ranked clubs.

The salary cap doesn't work to even out the competition as its clear players are prepared to compromise on $ for success in a trade or free agent secenario.

I expect to see clubs south of about 9th place to suffer and the gap in performance and ability ot attract talent to grow.

From what i heard on the radio, ( i listen to way too much SEN) the sanfl port magpies supporters hate the fact that a port adelaide team entered the afl, and they hate the port adelaide power.

Im not sure that changing the jumper would sway them.

Thats what I'm saying, they need to find what the Port people want to get they're allegiances. there is a reason out there in the god particles that have made the port people differ from the rest of Australia, & I'd say it's anger related.

Obviously they need to change many things the people are not happy with.

Our season hit rock-bottom when we lost to them in Darwin.

and theres hit an all time low when they lost to GWS! at least we haven't had this happen with either of the new franchises

Port Adelaide's biggest problem is that they are port Adelaide.

They have been a very successful club in the SANFL for decades, every non Port supporter hates them and would never support Port.

You either love them or hate them in SA.

The nett result is their support is capped to traditional Port supporters and a large number of them have not migrated from Port in the SANFL.

They do not enjoy the same support in Adelaide that the Crows enjoy.

While theoretically Adelaide can support two AFL teams it is really Adelaide Crows 80% and Port 20% ( rough figures ).

So unless Port are in the top few sides they struggle to raise the finance levels needed to be successful in the AFL.

The task ahead for Port is only a bit more daunting then the one faced by the MFC

Melbourne first- all other clubs can die for all I care. That's just how it is son.

I said something very similar to this to a friend.

All other clubs can wither and die for the greater glory of the Melbourne Football Club.

Well... I was a lot younger then and said a lot of things. He still quotes it back to me every now and then.

Edited by Robot Devil

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Absolutely. For all the comments about Port, MFC is marginally better off. However Port to coaches is what MFC seems to be to experienced quality players....a tour of duty in Afghanistan.

Port members 35,543

Melbourne 35,459

Another case of a demonlander letting opinion get in the way of fact

Indeed. Would not know a fact even if he tripped on it.

I dont think people are talking about melbourne WYL. They are talking about your ignorance and crystal ball/in retrospect thinking. You would easily dump other clubs out of the competition (Port and North as two examples) whilst blindly thinking the MFC has its own place in the leaugue.

Well said. And he wont get it.

Absolutely. For all the comments about Port, MFC is marginally better off. However Port to coaches is what MFC seems to be to experienced quality players....a tour of duty in Afghanistan.

Indeed. Would not know a fact even if he tripped on it.

Well said. And he wont get it.

i am so bothered you disagree Rhino. Such a suprise

all these references to 'spuds'. spud dullard would be honoured. the afl won't let port fail because there would only be one club in an aussie rules bastion, south australia. aren't port adelaide going to relocate to adelaide oval, which would improve their supporter base?

• Like 1

The should never have been admitted into the AFL for the exact reasons we are seeing now.

A total disaster on all levels.

How they won that 2004 flag is astounding.

They can't survive another decade, i mean really.

It's like Port Melbourne joining the AFL or Sandringham.

Agrred

You have to feel for Travis Boake; re-signed thinking all will be good and now finds the opposite, probably wishes he had waited till coach was actually appointed.

Yep.

Port Adelaide's biggest problem is that they are port Adelaide.

They have been a very successful club in the SANFL for decades, every non Port supporter hates them and would never support Port.

You either love them or hate them in SA.

The nett result is their support is capped to traditional Port supporters and a large number of them have not migrated from Port in the SANFL.

They do not enjoy the same support in Adelaide that the Crows enjoy.

While theoretically Adelaide can support two AFL teams it is really Adelaide Crows 80% and Port 20% ( rough figures ).

So unless Port are in the top few sides they struggle to raise the finance levels needed to be successful in the AFL.

The task ahead for Port is only a bit more daunting then the one faced by the MFC

Oh so correct. Bit of Freo here too.