Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRIS DAWES

She's used to writing about under 18's.  She has now been given the opportunity to join the speculative fiction section of the Age footy writers. This article, obviously written at the request of a couple of player managers (in return for future 'leaks'), is up there with the hun fantasists.

A player manager mate of mine loves doing this.

It's entirely consistent with what I heard two weeks ago: that for Melbourne EVERYTHING was on the table this trade period.

So hold back from bagging the writers.

What is likely to stop this going through is Wellingham's commitment already stated to West Coast, and the fact that later in the article the Suns are described as "more likely than not" to bid for Viney.

But whatever your player manager mate says, Melbourne have put the message out that they will consider everything, so that much of the yarn rings true.

Still don't think it will happen, and I think in the circumstances pick 13 is paying overs for Dawes, but we won't get him with a third round so it has to be 26 for our preference...and whatever WE on Dland think, Neeld clearly has a hankering for him.

I've placed a lot of faith in our recruiting team and Neeld this year, but if they offered pick 4 for Dawes and Wellingham they've lost me.

I know it's only innuendo, but the way Harrington has been talking on the radio about his "net effect" with regards to bringing in players and our draft picks I have to wonder wtf is going on.

Is Tim Harrington actually Dr Who ?

oBf6E.gif

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 2

For a reassuring article about the talent in Melbourne's recruiting department consider Jake Niall's piece this morning:-

The journey

He is writing about Adelaide being raided but the encouraging thing is that the Crow's strong drafting that Jake describes all occurred when one of our current assistant coaches was running the joint.

Maybe we should all take a powder.

I've placed a lot of faith in our recruiting team and Neeld this year, but if they offered pick 4 for Dawes and Wellingham they've frigging lost me.

I know it's only innuendo, but the way Harrington has been talking on the radio about his frigging "net effect" with regards to bringing in players and our draft picks I have to wonder wtf is going on.

'Ben' we can only hope it's a rumour to deflect some other play. No one in their right mind would do a deal like this, and no one in their right mind would even swap a first round pick for Dawes.

I've placed a lot of faith in our recruiting team and Neeld this year, but if they offered pick 4 for Dawes and Wellingham they've lost me.

I know it's only innuendo, but the way Harrington has been talking on the radio about his "net effect" with regards to bringing in players and our draft picks I have to wonder wtf is going on.

oBf6E.gif

That would rank as one of the worst trades ever; pick 4 in a super draft for two ok players is simply madness I hope they have floated this to put the cat amongst the pigeons and maybe force the hand of some other teams. If they do this they would show that they haven't learnt anything over the last 10 or so years and are happy to continue to making the same stupid mistakes.

This would severely test by unconditional support for the club, severely.

That would rank as one of the worst trades ever; pick 4 in a super draft for two ok players is simply madness I hope they have floated this to put the cat amongst the pigeons and maybe force the hand of some other teams. If they do this they would show that they haven't learnt anything over the last 10 or so years and are happy to continue to making the same stupid mistakes.

This would severely test by unconditional support for the club, severely.

Mine too, won't happen.

Neeld has to get over his infatuation with all things Collingwood!! If we trade pick 4 for Dawes/Wellingham (both rejects, despite Buckley's rhetoric, who don't want to come to mfc) I will think that Neeld is recruiting to win games for his next contract and not in the interests of the mfc. We will be plagued with mediocrity for years and years...again!

I agree that this does reek of desperation rather than astute recruiting. THe board needs to ensure that this is in the best interest of MFC

I just couldnt handle giving Collingwood an advantage and overpaying for two B graders that Collingwood has rejected.

I can handle pick 13 for Dawes. But pick 4 for both. Get stuffed.

This sounds like a fair trade. The only way that I would give pick 4 would be if Collingwood added there 1st round pick as well.

It seems to me that the details of the alleged trade as discussed in the article actually set out what Collingwood would be prepared to offer to get the deal done, perhaps the opening gambit in their negotiation. I would suggest that if this happens then there's a fair bit of water to flow under the bridge before its consummated. The draft pick will change or possibly disappear and a player or two from our side might end up at the Pies.

Whatever the case, it's certainly no done deal.

Given the Pies have to clear salary cap room, pick 13 for both is appropriate.

Pick 13 for both is probably still overs & I think they would still be getting a good deal there, maybe they could add a 4th round pick so we can use that as part of another trade. Ideally we would exchange our 2nd & 3rd round but they may be tied to other trades & possible father son.

In the hope that someone provides the club with supporter feedback from this forum:

If we give pick 14 for Dawes I will not sign up as a member next year.

He is just a good ordinary workhorse. Cam pederson will achieve similar results and will cost pick 40.

Makes me wonder if you are a member now - far too fickle. Pick 13/14 for Dawes is not a bad investment, particularly if Viney isn't nominated and we can take him in the 2nd round. There's no reason we couldn't take Pederson as well if, as you seem to think, he would only cost pick 40...and Dawes brings far more experience than your pin-up boy (particularly finals experience).

• Like 1

Pick 14 can be involved for Dawes but I would want something back.

Pick 4 is a non-starter unless there is a chance for an A-grade talent back our way.

Martin for Dawes would suit both teams - they should act like rational adults and do this fair deal that benefits both teams and both players.

• Like 1

To assess the value of this bloke you would need to consider the reasons for his poor 2012 form. There are mentions of hand injuries, foreign roles and a general lack of confidence. We here are just guessing.

If the reasons for his poor form in this year can be concluded and worked through then he is worthy of pick 13. There were quite a few games when I thought he out-performed Cloke in 2011 and 2010.

We have Neeld and Brown who know him well, much better than any of us. He is a different type of KPF to Clark and could complement him well.

Surely the pick 4 story is a furphy.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

Then again BH Dawes was being touted in the now Clark role. Now is quite different

Guest Mengele

Not really.

Every club wants two power forwards. Yes, last year we had none, but we're just as desperate for another this year. The issue is more his form.

Agree, Melbourne do need another big forward. This would/may give the mids more confidence in delivering the ball into the forward line..

Edited by Mengele

Not really.

Every club wants two power forwards. Yes, last year we had none, but we're just as desperate for another this year. The issue is more his form.

I did express on Martin thread that Dawes was "collingwood hasbeen"

That may have been a bit harsh but he is certainly not their choice of preffered talent so presumably they know something.

I was not aware that Dawes is only 24 and that adds an intriguing element to both his development and future.

I also said that Neeld probably knows more of his capabilities than most so I will be guided by and support his judgement.

What a difference a year makes. While some didn't rate Dawes a year ago others wanted to offer up pick 12 plus a player.

http://demonland.com...5-dawes-closed/

My opinion hasn't changed all that much. I still don't rate him and think we'd be better off putting time into our own forwards prospects. If we must get another tall forward option into the club go for Gumbleton or Pederson. Cheaper and probably better.