Rivers and Gysberts to Geelong?

Weedster

My mail today is that he will likely stay. However that is always subject to deals that may eventuate.

The funny thing here is that with a large number of our players leaving, we will have money/salary cap space to pay players and could possibly look after him better than most other clubs. If he walks out, we get a compo pick. But if for example a trade was done where say he and another player go to the same club, we could get over the odds in the deal.

This is really going to be an interesting next few months for the MFC.

So Rivers and Gysberts to Geelong for?

• Like 1

you may be old...but youre not slow !!!

But if for example a trade was done where say he and another player go to the same club, we could get over the odds in the deal.

Why would someone trade for a free agent?

Jared Rivers is one of the most reliably consistent competitors at the club. He is nothing if he is not competitive.

I suspect that the ball is in Jared's court to an extent, but the clubs not pressing depending on who becomes available through trades. I'd expect a deal to be done late October once things start sorting themselves out.

I don't necessarily disagree with you Heart Beats True... he's been consistant all year. My problem with Riv is he is consistent - He is a leader on and off field and for me personally I don't think he has offered a lot.

This article says it all for me about Riv - http://www.melbourne...19/default.aspx

I won't bore you guys with my disgust of anyone involved in that game (players/coaches/admin) but I will never forgive any one for what they did to OUR club that day

In summary I am not fussed if he stays or leaves....

Edited by Unleash Hell

I don't necessarily disagree with you Heart Beats True... he's been consistant all year. My problem with Riv is he is consistent - He is a leader on and off field and for me personally I don't think he has offered a lot.

This article says it all for me about Riv - http://www.melbourne...19/default.aspx

I won't bore you guys with my disgust of anyone involved in that game (players/coaches/admin) but I will never forgive any one for what they did to OUR club that day

In summary I am not fussed if he stays or leaves....

You dont have to like what he said but when Jared speaks its usually simple honesty which is refreshing in this age of repetetive rehashing of the latest AFL coach-talk.

If he goes he will leave a huge hole and I suspect a deeper one than most of us realise.

Its hard to begrudge him a shot at glory though,in all likelihood his body wont stand up until the Dees even sneak up on Finals let alone play for the Flag....and to think a few years ago I had him penciled in for a Leo Barry moment to bring it home.

What the team did for the MFC that day,unintentionally, was expose Schwabb, and the now quiet CC as trouble makers, and by all readings around here,DB as not being up to his job....ie they forced the Board to do what most people approve of now and see as the most promising way forward. The architecture of history can be viewed from many angles which provides different understandings

Edited by IRW

As mentioned, Rivers is a FA and will not require a trade. We would get a (measly) compensation pick in return. However, if we pick up another FA and lose Rivers, the swap is deemed sufficient by the AFL and no compo pick is given. The compo pick is to off set the loss, which would be balanced by another FA joining Melbourne.

Gys is a different matter. He is contracted and if, IF he wants to leave then a trade will be required.

I cannot remember where I read it on the AFL site, but FAs and RFAs cannot be wrapped up in a trade deal. Someone who has the link post it, please.

If he goes he will leave a huge hole and I suspect a deeper one than most of us realise.

Its hard to begrudge him a shot at glory though,in all likelihood his body wont stand up until the Dees even sneak up on Finals let alone play for the Flag....and to think a few years ago I had him penciled in for a Leo Barry moment to bring it home.

You have your beliefs IRW and I am not going to argue about '186' and how JR admitted he didn't care what happend to the club that day.....

And for the record I blame everyone involved accountable for that day - there is no right and wrong side in my view - people should have gotten fired for their arrogance and what they did to this club.... A couple players and admin are still with us today - i just hope they do thier jobs....

I am interested in your thought highlighted though, what gives you that impression???

Edited by Unleash Hell

You have your beliefs IRW and I am not going to argue about '186' and how JR admitted he didn't care what happend to the club that day.....

And for the record I blame everyone involved accountable for that day - there is no right and wrong side in my view - people should have gotten fired for their arrogance and what they did to this club.... A couple players and admin are still with us today - i just hope they do thier jobs....

I am interested in your thought highlighted though, what gives you that impression???

Firstly his propensity to apear in the 'hole' in the backline or arrive as 3rd man up in a contest down back(I dont imagine he will stay forward,they wont miss him there).

Waxing intercepts with Watts is one thing, but Jack is never in a contest if he can avoid it so Jareds absence will be sorely missed over time.

How much more work does Frawley have to do without Jared.?He must be really sick of it by now and HIS contract is up next year.

Wattsy isnt much help really and if they're looking for a KPP as reported we can assume Jack isnt returning forward any time soon.As good as he looks and he MIGHT learn to 'win' a game I dont think he'll ever 'save' one like Jared .

But the one I suspect we underestimate, and it is purely a guess, is that he's a calming influence around the place.

Doesnt get tossed about by circumstance. He's probably not a 'follow me' type of leader but I reckon he's always there to steady the ship just like he arrives at a contest when needed.....

Trust me, if he stays he'll be the bloke who saves the game that matters and right on the siren. to boot

Unfortunately it probably wont be the big one.

As a guide to any match prospects watch him trail the team onto the park ...if he's ever further forward then 3rd last they're in for a shocker. ( I dont advance this point as serious analysis :) )

Nevertheless a very important member imo and as I read the article he really acknowledged that no one cared rather than emphasising his rolein the debacle.

Pretty much how I saw it too. He was no more or less culpable than most/all the others.

So are you saying you wouldnt miss any of them because of that, or has Jareds honesty convicted him while others escape.

For the record I thought Watts put in as much as always.....I reckon that fact is more damming because as usual it made bugger all difference.

Still Rivers is a favourite of mine so take my rambling imagination with a grain of salt.

Edited by IRW

Firstly his propensity to apear in the 'hole' in the backline or arrive as 3rd man up in a contest down back(I dont imagine he will stay forward,they wont miss him there).

Waxing intercepts with Watts is one thing, but Jack is never in a contest if he can avoid it so Jareds absence will be sorely missed over time.

How much more work does Frawley have to do without Jared.?He must be really sick of it by now and HIS contract is up next year.

Wattsy isnt much help really and if they're looking for a KPP as reported we can assume Jack isnt returning forward any time soon.As good as he looks and he MIGHT learn to 'win' a game I dont think he'll ever 'save' one like Jared .

But the one I suspect we underestimate, and it is purely a guess, is that he's a calming influence around the place.

Doesnt get tossed about by circumstance. He's probably not a 'follow me' type of leader but I reckon he's always there to steady the ship just like he arrives at a contest when needed.....

Trust me, if he stays he'll be the bloke who saves the game that matters and right on the siren. to boot

Unfortunately it probably wont be the big one.

As a guide to any match prospects watch him trail the team onto the park ...if he's ever further forward then 3rd last they're in for a shocker. ( I dont advance this point as serious analysis :) )

Nevertheless a very important member imo and as I read the article he really acknowledged that no one cared rather than emphasising his rolein the debacle.

Pretty much how I saw it too. He was no more or less culpable than most/all the others.

So are you saying you wouldnt miss any of them because of that, or has Jareds honesty convicted him while others escape.

For the record I thought Watts put in as much as always.....I reckon that fact is more damming because as usual it made bugger all difference.

Still Rivers is a favourite of mine so take my rambling imagination with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the response IRW - fair enough that is your opinion and I respect that.

I am not saying I want Rivo out the door - but I wouldn't be upset if Neeld decided he didn't want to pay his asking price or decided to move him on or if Rivo decides to move on to chase success (after all footy careers are pretty short) but that is my personal feelings. We all need favs and something to get excited about IRW so for you I hope Rivo signs on

But for me I am happy for Neeld to make tough decisions so he can build a team he wants. It really is tough times at Deeland at the moment

Edited by Unleash Hell

I see

I see McDonald, Garland, Frawley and Watts as the four we should go with in defence (along with two running smalls) in 2013.

We can cover the loss of Rivers IMO.

One of the few times I agree with RR.

I can't see any evidence that Neeld sees Riv as a defensive option into the future. If he did, he would have put him back there at some stage after the Essendon game, like he did with Garland, who he does see as a defensive option in future. Instead of putting Riv back, he preferred guys like Watts & even Dunn & Sellar in defence.

Because there's no way Neeld sees Riv as a permanent forward next year. That was only temporary. Riv is certainly one of the few who can hold his head up after the 2012 season,

Would have thought it was blindingly obvious.

By saying that Neeld "doesn't like" Riv, I meant only that he doesn't see him in a future role at the club; I didn't mean that he dislikes him personally.

And I consider Neeld to be "the devil incarnate"?? Come on, get a grip! Of course he's not, apart from being a demon like the rest of us.

But is he ruthless? Is he autocratic? You betcha. In fact, that's part of what we got him for. And there's a solid Demonland cheer squad urging him on.

But for some, the penny hasn't yet dropped that he'll be just as ruthless with some players that you like as with some players you don't like - the favourite Demonland whipping boys, some of whom are already gone. We can't cheer the "exit" of Petterd or Moloney and then complain if a favourite is also "exited".

By the way, I like Riv a lot, for all the reasons that others have put on this thread. If it was up to me, he'd stay. But it's not. The question is, does Neeld (not you or I) see him as part of the team he wants to create for the future? For me, it's a firm "no, he doesn't".

Furthermore, what's happened to the "no-longer-leaders" Green & Moloney? I'm not saying there's animosity on Riv's part, but he's not a fool, he's smart enough to see the writing on the wall and check other options. And it's possible that Neeld would prefer him to leave on his own terms, rather than being delisted.

• Like 1

I think it's interesting that many here are ho-hum about the prospect of losing Rivers, when Geelong have supposedly sought him out as a possible replacement for none other than Matthew Scarlett. That says Geelong see him as a quality player.

If the FD has the same nonchalant view of Rivers many of us do, then we might as well delist everyone except Jones, Clark and Howe. Or easier still, put us out of our misery and close shop.

We are crying out for experience and he'll finish top 5 in the Bluey. FFS, he's a keeper and I hope the club does its best to retain him.

• Like 1

Geelong keen on Melbourne defender Jared Rivers plus latest AFL trade whispers

Green - Maybe could have gone 1 year, but risky, fair enough

Moloney - struggling to adapt, looking for other opportunities, fair enough

Cook - hasn't come on, not getting a shot, fair enough

But if Rivers goes this is getting a bit stupid. The guy will be up there in the BnF, and would have finished as high as 2nd had he not been asked to play forward for half the year. His form when down back early this season was fantastic. (*may still finish 2nd)

Gysberts... well we won't go into it as "that" thread is still going...

I was expecting a clean out, but we're losing a lot of that "experience" we so desperately need so far this offseason.

Guest KingDingAling

Both Riv and Gysberts would be perfect for Geelong.

But Riv would be a massive loss for us, we need his experience down back. He is underrated and at 27, still probably has at least 4-5 years left in him.

We need Riv and I'd be surprised if many supporters would be happy if we lost such reliable player.

Gysberts I'm not as fussed about losing as we'll get a decent trade for him - otherwise he doesn't go anywhere.

• Like 3

I tell u what if we spoon next yearMy 11 year of membership will end because i will not go to a nother game, dont give me support through thick an thin because i cant stand it any longer.. we got what we deserve i never agreed with tankimg this is what u get when u try to cheat the draft

• Like 2

Hope they play hard with Gysberts. 190cm onballers are somewhat rare, he is a kid with upside and is contracted. IMO its a "if you want him you pay" situation. Lets start with Vardy who we should have drafted anyway.

• Like 2

Neeld talks about needing more experience in the playing group but all i see is experience player leaving and nothing coming in i fear that the last five years will come tn nothing we will be spoonners for the next 3 years.

Surely you are jumping the gun a little...not going to at least wait until FA period is over before saying Neeld stuffed up?

So far under Neeld we got: Clark (win) Sellar (if not a win certainly not a lose) Tynan (will be a win if his courage doesnt get him concussed every week) Taggert (showed a bit before playing hurt made his injury worse).

His win loss is no good but niether is the list at this stage...i'm holding my judgement until seeing how we do over the recruitment phase and round 1.

It seems to me that the likes of Moloney and Cook have been told by the club that better opportunities lie elsewhere.

However, for Rivers, it seems as though the MFC would like to keep him, but he wishes to explore opportunities elsewhere. Unlike the others, Rivers played important KPP roles in pretty well every game this year.

Pure speculation I know - but, if true, it's a pretty big difference.

I find it perfectly hilarious that everyone wants us to get better, that in order for this to happen things have to change, but when changes actually start to manifest so many get coy and hesistant..

In all honesty Rivers is , whilst probably no dount amongst our better players for the year hardly irreplacable. Many of us have thought he could have gone years ago so its hardly the end of the world .

One door closes another opens.

Change means change... ommelettes and eggs etc.

We're a struggling club that has to make big decision and brave moves in order to wrest ourselves from the maliase that perennially engulfs us.

Good luck Jared

• Like 1

How many articles have the HS written that have turned out to be wrong about the trading/drafting period??

Neeld has denied Gys and Cook are unwanted. Denied that we wanted Cloke.

The HS has 500 footy writers that have to justify a job. Don't believe this shiite

• Like 3

always loved riv

but i reckon he is worth ALOT to Geelong, with the end of players like Scarlett, Enright (is going soon). They need replacement defenders.

Personally i wouldnt like to see Rivers go. Rivers is a free agent, so we get nothing for him.

Gysberts to geelong for a good pick ill take