Key Position Forward - who do you think we can/should get

melbfc2013

In a thread about key position forwards, why do I keep seeing Wellingham's name pop up???

Also, Wellingham = hipster....... obviously he is failing at life and can g&gf on every single level.

So please no more Wellingham suggestions, I don't want to have to actively despise a Melbourne player... unbearable frustration is all I can handle.

I actively hated Melbourne players before it was cool.

• Like 2

Can't see Essendon agreeing to that.

Neeld said today that Davey is a required player. Denied talk that he would be traded. So i suppose i cant see melb agreeing to that.

Unless of course Aaron wants to go and is keeping his cards close to his chest.

like the idea though - maybe another player...

got the feeling though that gumby will stay at the bombers for one more season given the amount of faith shown in him by the bombers/Hird. They love him. and i think he feels he owes them. if it doesn't work out after another year i'd reckon he'd be on his way to freo for more $, more years and more importantly a chance to play finals footy. (assuming freo dont do their budget signing other players)

he just turned 24 so another year at the bombers (failed or not) wont hurt him.

having said that i reckon he is worth a punt and we should we tabling an offer.

Edited by melbfc2013

Didn't say a high pick!

Either did I.

Considering the age gap of the two and the fact Davey hasn't fired a shot in the last 2 years, I reckon for that trade to work, we'd be the ones needing to throw in a pick.

Either way Neeld came out on the radio today saying Davey's going nowhere.

Gysberts for Gumbleton would be more realistic I would have thought, but I could be way off.

Note sure if Leigh is big enough to hold down the CHF position. Do admire Fitzy's dash and attitude and i thought that neeld warmed to him toward the end of the year, but not sure if he's a natural footy player. he looks pretty awkward. he's kicking isn't great, but he is pretty quick for a big man. not convinced hes a long term solution at CHF, but maybe a depth player.

Tarrant does sound interesting to me but dont know a lot about him, except seeing him play in a few games and that north people generally have good things to say about him- if anyone does have some info or an opinion please, share your thoughts.

My hopes of getting Q Lynch have faded.

Gumby does look good, but would be a fair risk with his back ailments i would have thought, and any trade there will depend on so many other choices, that the bombers/St Kilda/freo make. any other team likely to play finals that needs a KPF would be in a better position than us though i would have thought.

You're right, there isn't much of a diff b/w dawes and martin (at least i dont think either of them have footy brains) but martin seems more of 2nd ruckman and Dawes seems more of CHF. could be a trade option, but to be honest i'm not keen on it.

kickiing not good? saw him do some great snaps at Casey, will be a freak, this guy.

kickiing not good? saw him do some great snaps at Casey, will be a freak, this guy.

BD - if you are referring to Fitzy, watch his set shots, and the way he disposes of the ball.

He has great mobility for a big guy and his attitude is terrific and he is getting better and better at using his body, but his kicking is sub standard - snaps or no snaps.

This is no great secret - even the recruiters / and commentators made note of this when he was playing in the State Carnivals.

I like him, and think he'll be a goer - but i don't think he should be our first choice to place in the key post of CHF.

I maintain that Gumbleton is our best option for a trade this year. He'd be insane to take a 1 year deal from the bombers if he were offered 3 years from us at decent money. He looks like he may finally be getting past his injury issues and kicking 4 against the Hawks is nothing to sneeze at. The bombers would try to hold us to ransom on a trade, but in the end even if he was a #2 pick, he's now just another player who hasn't fired and can't get a game in their senior side. I could live with the notion of trading them Gysberts for him, although I still feel the kid could be a very good player for us and it could be seen as paying overs. Maybe Gys and their 3rd round pick?

I maintain that Gumbleton is our best option for a trade this year. He'd be insane to take a 1 year deal from the bombers if he were offered 3 years from us at decent money. He looks like he may finally be getting past his injury issues and kicking 4 against the Hawks is nothing to sneeze at. The bombers would try to hold us to ransom on a trade, but in the end even if he was a #2 pick, he's now just another player who hasn't fired and can't get a game in their senior side. I could live with the notion of trading them Gysberts for him, although I still feel the kid could be a very good player for us and it could be seen as paying overs. Maybe Gys and their 3rd round pick?

3?

I agree with you, but not 3 Yrs.

I would take him as an temp' option and see how he goes, so I would offer him 2Yrs front ended, with a view to see his output. We could up the 2nd Yr of the contract if things went well.

He's get more games to prove his worth with us IMO.

And I would still look to either Hogan or Grundy this year.

• 2 months later...

Now that we have Dawes, Pedersen and Hogan on board, I'm wondering how big Fitzy must be feeling? If he doesn't get some game time next season and if (all going to plan) the combo of Dawes and Clark is effective and with Hogan a bloody good chance of playing senior footy from Rd 1 2014, it must be leaving Jack feeling a little anxious about his career at the Dee's.

Can anyone give an insight to how he's been training and if he's still got the potential to claim a spot in the team?

Now that we have Dawes, Pedersen and Hogan on board, I'm wondering how big Fitzy must be feeling? If he doesn't get some game time next season and if (all going to plan) the combo of Dawes and Clark is effective and with Hogan a bloody good chance of playing senior footy from Rd 1 2014, it must be leaving Jack feeling a little anxious about his career at the Dee's.

Can anyone give an insight to how he's been training and if he's still got the potential to claim a spot in the team?

While I haven't been to a training session as of yet, I can say that his VFL form late in the season after he was properly diagnosed with his condition was very good. He's getting better at holding his contested marks, so he's becoming stronger physically, but he's still got his pace also and can burn his opponents off.

I think the inclusion of all these forwards will be good for him as it should make him work even harder to get a game. I can see him competing with Pedersen for the 2013 season for the 3rd tall forward/2nd ruck role.

Once 2014 comes along it will become even harder for him, but with injuries/suspensions/rotations I could still see him playing a lot of football for us and I still have high hopes for him. I certainly see him being our first call up into the team if any of Clark, Dawes or Pedersen were to miss a match next season.

• Like 3

While I haven't been to a training session as of yet, I can say that his VFL form late in the season after he was properly diagnosed with his condition was very good. He's getting better at holding his contested marks, so he's becoming stronger physically, but he's still got his pace also and can burn his opponents off.

I think the inclusion of all these forwards will be good for him as it should make him work even harder to get a game. I can see him competing with Pedersen for the 2013 season for the 3rd tall forward/2nd ruck role.

Once 2014 comes along it will become even harder for him, but with injuries/suspensions/rotations I could still see him playing a lot of football for us and I still have high hopes for him. I certainly see him being our first call up into the team if any of Clark, Dawes or Pedersen were to miss a match next season.

With Clark being handled with kid gloves and thus a possible late starter for 2013, does anyone who has been at training see Fitz as a possible forward starter at least in the early matches?

With Clark being handled with kid gloves and thus a possible late starter for 2013, does anyone who has been at training see Fitz as a possible forward starter at least in the early matches?

Nah, we need wins early in the season, I think there are better players to choose.

Names please.

I am a fan of Fitzy and at 200+cm he has huge upside to take the role of key forward/2nd ruck. I am sure that he reamins on the list because some of the coaching panel have confidence in him!

• Like 1

I am a fan of Fitzy and at 200+cm he has huge upside to take the role of key forward/2nd ruck. I am sure that he reamins on the list because some of the coaching panel have confidence in him!

He's on the list so he's ours. He is gonna be there all year. Let's support him.

Let's hope he can step up. Has a lot of the skills.

He's on the list so he's ours. He is gonna be there all year. Let's support him.

Let's hope he can step up. Has a lot of the skills.

He's only 21Yrs, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves re Jack F...

I reckon he'll get 6 games in 2013 at best.

It's 2014 I'll be expecting bigger things from him...