It looks like Dean Bailey was wrong

Dee_Flower

After he was sacked he said the team would definitely play finals this year, or words to that effect. In retrospect, I think he might have been over-egging the pudding on how much he achieved as coach.

Arguably, he left Neeld a smouldering wreck that won't be playing finals for quite a while.

• Like 1

Arguably, he left Neeld a smouldering wreck that won't be playing finals for quite a while.

I think you have it in one Dee_flower.

An average list that will take some years to fix watching Casey may well be the best thing about the MFC in the next few years.

Guest King Cuthbertson

Just add it to the list of things he was wrong about. His misreading of the direction of the game has set us back 3-5 years. I know some blame Prendergast for not utilizing the plethora of picks we had to maximum effect, but it was Dean who set the agenda of the types of players we wanted to bring onto our list.

I am glad he's doing well at Adelaide though. Nice bloke and his heart's in the right place...

• Like 2

We may have sneaked into finals contention, but we'd have lost Scully, might not have had Clark (would Bailey have been able to woo him?).

No would still be talking about getting games into Cook

The smouldering wreck still won 8.5 games last year.

What are we considered now then?

I reckon we are looking at things the wrong way when we talk about what has happened post 2011. The current situation we find ourselves in should be looked at as a continuation of 186. After the loss to Geelong, it was the start of the very average football that we have seen this year. The boys beat Gold Coast but against anyone serious, looked well outmatched. That is no different to what we see now.

I think Bails is probably a top bloke on a personal level and probably a grade A assistant. However, it seemed like the tail was wagging the dog when he was there. I am sure by now we have all seen the quote from Jimma's book that detailed how the players cancelled their own time trials.Players were in their comfort zone because so many of them didn't fear the prospect of being dropped/traded/delisted if they didn't pull their weight. They had way too much power and the culmination of all this was the fact they felt they could call a meeting to get Cam Schwab sacked (though I feel he needed to be held accountable as to how he was running his own little fiefdom).

What you see now is a legacy of those years of coddling and submission to the players whims. There are some who have talent (I know there are two who fit into this category) have picked up their bat and ball and gone home because the coach has told them a few home truths. If those guys had bought into what Neeldy was trying to achieve rather than sulk, this year wouldn't have been half as ugly.

Bailey was flawed and was not going to get a contract extension in 2011 for 2012 and beyond. The manner of his sacking was poor but ultimately it was the right decision.

But the smouldering wreck he had taken from him was no worse that the smouldering wreck he inherited at the end of 2007. Worse still its clear that Bailey played to the company line and sacrificed the W/L for draft picks and the future

FMD, this year there is a boom recruit (Clark), a competent head of FD (Craig). Money spent on development of players and what have we done?

After following this club for 40 years, I am struggling to remember a worse standard of football than this year. The performance and our lader position is an embarrassment. We beat 3 development teams and one Victorian team that treated the game like a bye. You cant gloss it, MFC have gone backwards big time.

In the past 2 years, Bailey had 8.5 wins. I cant work why the tawdy revisionism and denigration of a past coach and his record when the current scenario is so putrid.

Neeld's year has been so bad that he cant afford to shred the MFC brand any further with development which is clearly needed. Next season he needs to coach with a short term horizon and a not a long term view if he is to survive. We have alot of younger players that still need time to mature. You cant rush it.

Given we so poor under the existing coach, I cant fathom the need to continually skewer Bailey

• Like 7

Bailey was flawed and was not going to get a contract extension in 2011 for 2012 and beyond. The manner of his sacking was poor but ultimately it was the right decision.

But the smouldering wreck he had taken from him was no worse that the smouldering wreck he inherited at the end of 2007. Worse still its clear that Bailey played to the company line and sacrificed the W/L for draft picks and the future

FMD, this year there is a boom recruit (Clark), a competent head of FD (Craig). Money spent on development of players and what have we done?

After following this club for 40 years, I am struggling to remember a worse standard of football than this year. The performance and our lader position is an embarrassment. We beat 3 development teams and one Victorian team that treated the game like a bye. You cant gloss it, MFC have gone backwards big time.

In the past 2 years, Bailey had 8.5 wins. I cant work why the tawdy revisionism and denigration of a past coach and his record when the current scenario is so putrid.

Neeld's year has been so bad that he cant afford to shred the MFC brand any further with development which is clearly needed. Next season he needs to coach with a short term horizon and a not a long term view if he is to survive. We have alot of younger players that still need time to mature. You cant rush it.

Given we so poor under the existing coach, I cant fathom the need to continually skewer Bailey

Didn't expect it from Ol' Rhino (kidding mate), but pretty spot on post.

Bailey didn't coach us this year.

Because he coached a group of young players & taught them nothing about tactics, accountability or work rate. He was a supposed development coach yet hardly developed any players to the standard they should be at. He may have got the team 8.5 wins last year but it was evident from the results against West Coast, Western Bulldogs & Geelong last year to name a few that he had NFI idea about what he was doing.

• Like 3

Guest King Cuthbertson

Because he coached a group of young players & taught them nothing about tactics, accountability or work rate. He was a supposed development coach yet hardly developed any players to the standard they should be at. He may have got the team 8.5 wins last year but it was evident from the results against West Coast, Western Bulldogs & Geelong last year to name a few that he had NFI idea about what he was doing.

Pretty much. And 186 probably should've happened in R2 against Hawthorn. 42 scoring shots to 17 and an absurd differential for inside 50 entries. That was the point for me that I finally accepted we were going absolutely nowhere.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. That he should or he shouldn't take a long term view?

Pretty much. And 186 probably should've happened in R2 against Hawthorn. 42 scoring shots to 17 and an absurd differential for inside 50 entries. That was the point for me that I finally accepted we were going absolutely nowhere.

That game & I think the following week against West Coast for mine.

Guest King Cuthbertson

That game & I think the following week against West Coast for mine.

Oh yeah, the West Coast game. How could I forget that one. Melbourne players feebly trying to handball sideways to their team mate standing flat-footed, 2 metres away in our defensive 50 under a relentless West Coast forward press....which was in part designed to prevent opponents from clearing the defensive 50 through the use of lateral handball's

That went on the whole night..

Edited by King Cuthbertson
  • Like 1

8.5 wins against not much. We never managed to beat a decent team in his 5 year tenure. Speaks for itself really.

Cough.

We beat Adelaide by 96 points. We beat Richmond. We thumped Essendon.

Bailey was with MFC just under 4 years.

And who have we beaten this year?

Speaks for itself

I'm not sure what you're saying here. That he should or he shouldn't take a long term view?

We have been so bad this year he will not have the luxury of taking a long term view with a young list.

He needs wins next year just to hold onto his coaching position. If we are this bad in 12 months, he has to be gone.

• Like 1

After he was sacked he said the team would definitely play finals this year, or words to that effect. In retrospect, I think he might have been over-egging the pudding on how much he achieved as coach.

So clearly a side that didn't need to not win, as they couldn't win anyway.

Guest King Cuthbertson

Cough.

We beat Adelaide by 96 points. We beat Richmond. We thumped Essendon.

Bailey was with MFC just under 4 years.

And who have we beaten this year?

Speaks for itself

We have been so bad this year he will not have the luxury of taking a long term view with a young list.

He needs wins next year just to hold onto his coaching position. If we are this bad in 12 months, he has to be gone.

Adelaide were abysmal that day. One of the worst opposition performances i've seen. Richmond was nothing to write home about. Where exactly did they finish last year??? And Essendon...well we beat them AGAIN this year. So what does that say?? A 33 point win is a 'thumping' is it?

You're right I apologize it was 4 years not 5.

You're clutching at straws.

Edited by King Cuthbertson
  • Like 1

The smouldering wreck still won 8.5 games last year.

What are we considered now then?

A second hand Lada Riva which has crashed off a cliff and onto a petrol tanker parked outside an explosives factory.

All I could've asked from Neeld was to win more than 8.5 games this season, which I'm sure many of us would have thought wise.

But no, the rebuilding BS surfaces again and our team looks worse than ever, our game plan isn't working, most of the players are badly out of form.

Truth be told, I miss our explosive bursts under Bailey and the reason I was happy for Neeld to arrive is because I thought he'd be better. He's chopped the team up too much, experimented with players, who don't look like they're playing with confidence.

At least under Bailey we had really good patches and in both 10-11 we were finals chances for a sizable portion of the year. If I don't see some serious action from Neeld and the team next year I don't want him to be coach, if he believes in finishing at the bottom for 5 years to become good then f*** him. I don't want draft picks, I want wins. People who think picks are better than wins should be injured in a house fire. Because here's two words- TOM SCULLY. We need real players playing for our club, loyal guys who play together well as a group, such as Neitz, Yze, Bruce, McDonald and Green.

The only thing that the club won't lose is my loyalty because I love going to the footy to support us no matter what.

Adelaide were abysmal that day. One of the worst opposition performances i've seen. Richmond was nothing to write home about. Where exactly did they finish last year??? And Essendon...well we beat them AGAIN this year. So what does that say?? A 33 point win is a 'thumping' is it?

You're right I apologize it was 4 years not 5.

You're clutching at straws.

*Cough*, *Cough*

And i will ask again.....Who have we beaten again this year?

Lucky we are putting in the worst opposition performances this year rather than anyone we are playing against.

You cant even find the straws to clutch.

People who think picks are better than wins should be injured in a house fire.

Clever comment.

Can you tell me who has said that or are you making it up?