Who should we pick up?

Grimseyisgod

This won't be popular, but Kyle Reimers should be on our radar IMO. He is only 23 and he has talent but has been on the outer at Essendon. Out of contract I believe.

You're right. That wont be popular!

Reimers is horrible.

I still think there are good trades possible and free agents.

I trust Neeld, with Clark last year and Sellar (who actually wasnt that bad).. weve done well

I find it surprising at the moment that we aren't being linked to more players after making it clear that we will be big players come trade time.

You would think we would be doing some serious work behind the scenes as more players become available. Guys like Jordan Russell and Josh Toy would be excellent pick ups and would probably come quite cheaply, although with Toy it's hard to know what the Suns want in return.

I think over the coming weeks more will become available but we have to stay realistic guys - I don't think we will land a "big fish" like Clark from last year but rather look to add some experience, leadership and strong work ethic through a variety of players that we can land cheaply while adding some serious talent on the upper end of the draft.

And please, no Riemers! The guy is more interested in going the man than finding the footy!

And I'm sure he has been mentioned in this thread but the Bummers have only offered Gumbleton a one year deal which he is not to keen on (yet) - would he be worth chasing or is he too injury prone and not worth the trouble? I'd be on the fence but, like most mentioned, wouldn't be against it if he came on the cheap.

• Like 1

And I'm sure he has been mentioned in this thread but the Bummers have only offered Gumbleton a one year deal which he is not to keen on (yet) - would he be worth chasing or is he too injury prone and not worth the trouble? I'd be on the fence but, like most mentioned, wouldn't be against it if he came on the cheap.

Agree with you there Wiseblood.

Gumbleton is at the top of my shopping list for KPF's.

Agree with you there Wiseblood.

Gumbleton is at the top of my shopping list for KPF's.

Is he worth the risk though? The big fella intrigues me but I have the fear that he trains the house down, does a hammy and we never really see him in the red and blue.

But one thing is certain - we need another key forward target to support Clark, and Gumbleton is someone worth looking at if he comes cheap.

Is he worth the risk though? The big fella intrigues me but I have the fear that he trains the house down, does a hammy and we never really see him in the red and blue.

But one thing is certain - we need another key forward target to support Clark, and Gumbleton is someone worth looking at if he comes cheap.

Knowing our luck that's probably exactly what would happen. :(

Reckon it would just be an old case of high risk high reward if it came off. Think he's worth the punt and if we managed to secure Hogan in the MD then worst case scenario Gumby couldn't get on the park we'd have Hogan to come through in 12 months time.

Guest Rassilon

Guys like Jordan Russell and Josh Toy would be excellent pick ups and would probably come quite cheaply, although with Toy it's hard to know what the Suns want in return.

Russell you would have to have serious injury concerns about,

I think we should stop looking for offcuts in the trade / FA pile. Some of the suggestions makes me wonder why we're culling our own.

It emphasises just how huge a get Clark was; moreover, how it will never be equalled again.

There's the potential to snap up three or four A-graders right out of the draft this year. Time for the club to close ranks and believe in what we can do from within.

We'd be looking a fair bit better with the following very feasible outcome:

3: Hogan via MD2 (incentive to GWS to pass on Viney)

4: best available mid in the draft

13+ something: Caddy (incentive to GC to pass on Viney)

27: Viney

Wellingham for Martin

Byrnes via FA

• Like 2

Guest Rassilon

We'd be looking a fair bit better with the following very feasible outcome:

3: Hogan via MD2 (incentive to GWS to pass on Viney)

4: best available mid in the draft

13+ something: Caddy (incentive to GC to pass on Viney)

27: Viney

Wellingham for Martin

Byrnes via FA

Like it - Just not sure 13 will get you Caddy. Have a feeling you may have to do better than that.

wellingham for martin wont happen unless we give up martin plus pick 13.

Wellingham is a star.

I reckon Josh Toy would be good, so would Caddy.. What would you give up for caddy?

Like it - Just not sure 13 will get you Caddy. Have a feeling you may have to do better than that.

That's why it says "13+ something". Agree we'd need to over-pay for Caddy to secure Viney in the 2nd round and there'll be whinging here that he's not worth that.

"Something" could be a player they value that we don't - Martin, Gysberts, Cook, Petterd or could maybe be the Moloney compo pick - Tier 3 pick after 2nd round ~ pick 30?

Clearly they'll be aiming for pick 4 which we want to avoid. The Boak + 7 for 4 + 13 deal was OK but GC don't have another top 10 pick they can package back to us.

What's your thinking?

Guest Rassilon

That's why it says "13+ something". Agree we'd need to over-pay for Caddy to secure Viney in the 2nd round and there'll be whinging here that he's not worth that.

"Something" could be a player they value that we don't - Martin, Gysberts, Cook, Petterd or could maybe be the Moloney compo pick - Tier 3 pick after 2nd round ~ pick 30?

Clearly they'll be aiming for pick 4 which we want to avoid. The Boak + 7 for 4 + 13 deal was OK but GC don't have another top 10 pick they can package back to us.

What's your thinking?

The "game" is definitely elevating in stakes. Think we are going to have to cough up pick 3 or 4 - (bassstarddssssss) Tough question for me is what will we get for that? Can we convince Caddy to come to us?

I can easily see if the deal does not go down. a/ We lose Caddy & b/ We will be forced ta take Viney at 3. Think there is still a bit of water to flow under the bridge, Im sure we are in their fighting and I have full faith in the boys. But you cant win them all.

Pick 3 - Stringer

Pick 4 - Wellingham (trade) + pick 17

Pick 13 - Caddy Trade

Pick 17 - Vlastuin

2nd rounder - Viney

FA - Monfries, Byrnes

End up with Wellingham, Caddy, Vlastuin and Viney in midfield.

Stringer to help Clarke up forward with Monfries and Byrnes at their feet.

Good combination of draftees and experienced players. I think Neeld would like the look of something like this.

I also think one of our half backs should be traded off, maybe Joel Mac, Davis or even a Tapscott as I can already see Tynan developing into a decent half back

Edited by olisik

The "game" is definitely elevating in stakes. Think we are going to have to cough up pick 3 or 4 - (bassstarddssssss) Tough question for me is what will we get for that? Can we convince Caddy to come to us?

I can easily see if the deal does not go down. a/ We lose Caddy & b/ We will be forced ta take Viney at 3. Think there is still a bit of water to flow under the bridge, Im sure we are in their fighting and I have full faith in the boys. But you cant win them all.

We might have been better to steer completely clear of the Caddy chase. It opens the pick 4 door and that's hard to close.

• Like 1

Guest Rassilon
We might have been better to steer completely clear of the Caddy chase. It opens the pick 4 door and that's hard to close.

Its a possibility we might walk - on the theory we are just paying tooooo high a price.

a/ I would say we either are not helping GC by not offered enough - hence their frustration, hence the leak to Emma

b/ Caddy may not want to play for us.

c/ Caddy will play for us so we have gone in at 13. GC said no (not helping GC) - hence their frustration, hence the leak to Emma

But we have situation we all can win. Normally this is where everyone gives a bit. Maybe everyone is trying to decide what there "bit" will be & how that fits in with their other plans.