Must be the Silly Season... now Dane Swan suspended for 2 wks

hardtack

What kind of world are we living in when a few drinks on a Sunday night lead to a two week ban.

We live in a world where a 1% drop in form is the difference between winning a gold medal or not, and anything - anything - that might have a negative impact on form is discouraged and/or banned.

Well Swanny has never done that.

His weight and shape has been well documented and only the Collingwood people would know if he presents himself in the best shape he possibly can. Rules on drinking and late nights are set for collective not for individuals.

I think its irrelevant that these guys are paid to be professional athletes, when considering their after hours activities.

Firstly, he's not our player, so why do we care what he does? And if he was, then it is the same thing as in any other job - if you perform, then you keep your job.

Clearly, getting on the pi55 doesn't make a pinch of [censored] difference to Swan's 'on-the-job' performance, so who cares what he gets up to???

And to those who say footballers are role models and shouldn't behave like this, I say (1) we probably need to look elsewhere for role models anyway and (2) how many of you can say you never go out for drinks after work?

Clearly, getting on the pi55 doesn't make a pinch of [censored] difference to Swan's 'on-the-job' performance, so who cares what he gets up to???

So you're saying instead of setting team rules you would set individual rules ? As long as it doesnt affect your game feel free ?

Again please point to research that shows alcohol and late nights is beneficial to the output of a professional athlete.

(actually one does comes to mind - there is an urban legend that Ian Stewart used to play better when half pi55ed than completely sober - am I defaming a multi-brownlow medalist or has anyone else heard this ?)

Edited by nutbean

So you're saying instead of setting team rules you would set individual rules ? As long as it doesnt affect your game feel free ?

Again please point to research that shows alcohol and late nights is beneficial to the output of a professional athlete.

(actually one does comes to mind - there is an urban legend that Ian Stewart used to play better when half pi55ed than completely sober - am I defaming a multi-brownlow medalist or has anyone else heard this ?)

Wasn't just Ian Stewart. Doc Baldock could (and did) drink him under the table

Then there was the Australian cricket team during Chappelli's time............

Wasn't just Ian Stewart. Doc Baldock could (and did) drink him under the table

Then there was the Australian cricket team during Chappelli's time............

The skull tells a fabulous story about getting hammered during a test with Doug Walters and getting to the ground and being told that Redpath was crook and he was going in first drop. He had a massive hangover and they made him sweat for a couple hours with pads on with a headache from hell and struggling not to throw up until a wicket actually did fall and Redpath quickly padded up and went out instead of him.

It's an interesting question. I hadn't thought as far as the team v individual angle of that question. I'm certainly not saying there is evidence that alcohol helps your performance.

But, I guess what I'm probably saying is that there is an excessive focus on 'rules'. I think that employers generally should have no say and no input into what you do in your private time, provided it doesn't harm your ability to do your job, and isn't illegal.

Football clubs are no different to banks or building companies or retailers or anything else in that sense, they are just employers in the end.

If players turn up drunk, or so fat they can't run, then clearly their performance is being hindered and, in a football context, they will be lining up to get sacked pretty smartly. That argument doesn't hold for Swan.

What better performance could Collingwood possibly ask for? Does anybody really think he'd get 50 touches every week instead of 40 if he went to bed at 10pm every night?

One issue I struggle with with regard to club imposed discipline is why they inevitably fall back on suspending players from home and away games

I know the theory but it not only punishes the player but also the team, the club, the supporters and the sport in general

We all want to see the best players and best team out on the ground

I wonder why they can't find more creative ways to effectively discipline players without the broader impact on so many other's enjoyment

• Like 2

One issue I struggle with with regard to club imposed discipline is why they inevitably fall back on suspending players from home and away games

I know the theory but it not only punishes the player but also the team, the club, the supporters and the sport in general

We all want to see the best players and best team out on the ground

I wonder why they can't find more creative ways to effectively discipline players without the broader impact on so many other's enjoyment

Thats what irks me - you selfish %$%$^& - you have misbehaved and it costs all of us.

It probably wouldnt get through but my thought was that code of conduct with guidelines as to what happens if there is a breach is written into the contract- any breaches means big financial loss to the player -Im not talking about $3000 slap on the wrist - I am talking about a percentage of the yearly wage that hurts and an increase for a second indiscretion. Hit the player big time but not the club. Make it "AFL approved" or "AFL players association" approved so all players in all clubs lose the same. I know it will become subjective like the MRP (how pi55ed was he ?) but its the only way to hurt the player not the team.

I understand that AFL clubs need to pull rank and keep the lads in check, but a 2 match suspension is hefty if all he did was drink alcohol and rock up to training under the weather.

I reckon you expose your match day performace to more risk by letting players go skateboarding or surfing as opposed to allowing them to an occasional drink 4-5 days out from a game. Imagine the outcry if nathan Jones was smashed by a dumper and popped out his shoulder. I reckon theres just as much chance of that happening as tehre is for someone to be effected on match day from a night out 5 days ago...

I understand that AFL clubs need to pull rank and keep the lads in check, but a 2 match suspension is hefty if all he did was drink alcohol and rock up to training under the weather.

I reckon you expose your match day performace to more risk by letting players go skateboarding or surfing as opposed to allowing them to an occasional drink 4-5 days out from a game. Imagine the outcry if nathan Jones was smashed by a dumper and popped out his shoulder. I reckon theres just as much chance of that happening as tehre is for someone to be effected on match day from a night out 5 days ago...

A very large number of experts would give you an argument on that one DemonWA.

They claim a couple of drinks makes a difference and a skin full certainly does.

got to be more to the story, and a drink or two can certainly help your sanity, look at the elite olympians who have a bit of a choof, including the greatest swimmer of all time. Mental down time is needed, its is impossible to be 'on' all the time.

so like I said, something between Bucks and Swan

So if its ok for Dane Swan to rock up under the weather I'll pose a couple of questions.What if it is was Swan and Beams.What about Swan Beams and half the list - still ok ? What if it is two weeks in a row ? still ok ? what about half the team turning up to training under the weather 5 weeks in a row ?

These guys are professional athletes and need to act as such.If you want to turn up to training "a bit under the weather" then play suburban footy.

• Like 1

5 years ago Ben Cousins was having 48 hour benders on all the gear after a Friday night match and rocking up to training on Monday and playing like a superstar every week! Give Swanny a break!

Now there's a comparison you want to draw !

Aside from the countless documented cases of what can happen to footballers when they stay out late with a skinfull of drink in them are you really trying to compare footballers participating in fitness sports like surfing as opposed to drinking which certainly has an effect on fitness. I cant recall Darren Millane running under a parked truck with his surfboard or Stevie J trying to jump a fence on his skateboard..