McLardy: Players signed, extension for Schwab & response on list management

Range Rover

It doesn't achieve anything to have the best person for a job, in that job?

My comment was in relation to people bagging Schwab, our current ceo.

Also, in relation to other CEOs being better than cam, I feel there's a bit of 'grass is greener' involved

Someone fill me in please...

Tigers and Freo friends of mine claim CS was a disaster for their clubs.

What has he done in the past that is so impressive that makes the club want to keep him on?

Most here either rate him or hate him.

When Schwab turned up at Freo they were a financial basket case; when he left they were financially strong therefor he did a particularly good job in the West.

You sure your Freo mates know what they are on about ?

Edited by gsmith12

Also, in relation to other CEOs being better than cam, I feel there's a bit of 'grass is greener' involved

Fair enough. I wouldn't know the alernatives well enough to make that call.

When Schwab turned up at Freo they were a financial basket case; when he left they were financially strong therefor he did a particularly good job in the West.

You sure your Freo mates know what they are on about ?

I remember reading that post from a while back where some Freo supporter reported their dislike of Schwab.

Said Schwab contributed strongly to failed moves the Dockers made in giving up early draft picks for what they thought would be ready made stars. Headland was one who didn't work out but he cited several others.

Would be good to read that post again if someone can find it.

Cameron does tend to waffle on about our history and at times I wish he would be more relevant, but he does have a passion for the demons and a strong history in football management; which is totally different to any other field of business.

We've tried other non football people and they've failed so if we are to replace him it won't be easy and what we get may be no better. But that doesn't seem to matter to some and they seem to want change for change sake some don't even know what it is they are accusing him of doing wrong but it must be something.

Let's sack the coach the CEO and the President, [censored] while we're at it the trainers are doing a poor job as well.

Learnt a few interesting things at the Presidents lunch on Sunday. One was that Schwabb actually handled the Energy Watch situation like a genius behind the scenes, could have been a disaster for the club but came out smelling roses and gaining extra sponsors. On the other hand have mistreated smaller sponsors and a lack of communication between people with one person saying yes to something then another person not have a clue what they are talking about, which reflected poorly with this particular sponsor.

I remember reading that post from a while back where some Freo supporter reported their dislike of Schwab.

Said Schwab contributed strongly to failed moves the Dockers made in giving up early draft picks for what they thought would be ready made stars. Headland was one who didn't work out but he cited several others

Would be good to read that post again if someone can find it.

RR - i find those allegations staggering. To take on an opinion is one thing but to say it was the CEOs fault we recruited poorly is laughable. No wonder Failo were a joke for so long. Why bother hiring staff when ine man does the whole job??

Afterall who has ever heard of supporters bagging out ex footy club personell????

The only reason you'd sign this lightweight is because

1. No one else wants the job

2. You don't have the connections nor the ability to attract a better candidate

Sadly for us it's both with Mclardy rapt the helm

The only reason you'd sign this lightweight is because

1. No one else wants the job

2. You don't have the connections nor the ability to attract a better candidate

Sadly for us it's both with Mclardy rapt the helm

Sadly you're probably spot on.

I dont agree McLardy is to blame - the MFC needs to become relavent again. We need to win games and [censored] other clubs off.

Not board spills and coaxh sakings - look at Port they look like a joke right now and thst is what you are purposing!!!

You're right about that. Leakier than Geoff Edelsten's wallet on a walk through Tiffany's with Brynne.

So much so that you still wouldn't have a clue how we have decided upon continuing with CS. Really wish they made that discreet phone call they apparently never made to ask Cooky and Swanny to see how they are travelling...

Edited by whelan45

Guest José Mourinho

Considering our club leaks like a sieve I wouldn't have any confidence this could be handled discreetly.

You're right about that. Leakier than Geoff Edelsten's wallet on a walk through Tiffany's with Brynne.

Where have you guys been??

Since Bailey's sacking, the club have been very good at keeping things to their chest, and have received praise for doing so.

Neil Craig's appointment is one thing I can think of, off the top of my head.

It improved at the end of last year but this year I recall a couple of things leaking out again (though can't think of any off the top of my head, perhaps the Davey/Mifsud issue).

That wasn't leaked, it was blasted by Mifsud through his mates.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

So what has this thread taught us?

If what bitter Freo supporters say about CS's time at Freo happens to be true... for a CEO, Schwab makes a pretty ordinary List Manager or Recruitment Manager.

Now that footy has evolved to the point where all clubs employ teams of people to perform those roles and make those decisions, whilst the CEO focuses on making the club strong off-field, what exactly is the problem..??

Are some really worried that he'll march into Tim Harrington's or Todd Viney's offices, and demand they make moves that are clearly not in the club's best interests?

I'm not sure what the fear is, but it doesn't seem rational.

If we're going to say he's not fit to be the club's CEO, can we at least judge him on his ability to perform the role of a CEO, and back the board to ensure he stick to just that?

(or put them under scrutiny for failing in performing their role).

• Like 8

So what has this thread taught us?

If what bitter Freo supporters say about CS's time at Freo happens to be true... for a CEO, Schwab makes a pretty ordinary List Manager or Recruitment Manager.

Now that footy has evolved to the point where all clubs employ teams of people to perform those roles and make those decisions, whilst the CEO focuses on making the club strong off-field, what exactly is the problem..??

Are some really worried that he'll march into Tim Harrington's or Todd Viney's offices, and demand they make moves that are clearly not in the club's best interests?

I'm not sure what the fear is, but it doesn't seem rational.

If we're going to say he's not fit to be the club's CEO, can we at least judge him on his ability to perform the role of a CEO, and back the board to ensure he stick to just that?

(or put them under scrutiny for failing in performing their role).

I agree however the problem may be the damage has already been done - the reason he was on the verge of being sacked last year seems to have been due to some meddling in the FD and while that may have been scaled back now there may still be some wounds there (although the FD has had a major overhaul so not sure who besides some potentially disgruntles senior players would still be holding grudges).

That wasn't leaked, it was blasted by Mifsud through his mates.

Yeah fair enough.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

I agree however the problem may be the damage has already been done - the reason he was on the verge of being sacked last year seems to have been due to some meddling in the FD and while that may have been scaled back now there may still be some wounds there (although the FD has had a major overhaul so not sure who besides some potentially disgruntles senior players would still be holding grudges).

Yeah the damage may have already been done. We haven't seen for a long time such a dispirited team with only a few individuals the odd ones out. The promise that things have changed have not materialised by improved performances on the field as yet. At the moment many supporters pin their hopes on belief on what they been told that we are on the right track. IMO a buying time exercise by the current regime.

Guest José Mourinho

Yeah, not sure I agree with that.

If Schwab could see we were going in the wrong direction and interfered in trying to right the ship, I'm not sure I have a problem with that. In fact, I commend it.

It's his role to have the right people in place to do the job, and if he sense they aren't doing it right, he needs to take action.

Maybe the action taken wasnt the best course, but these things are never clean and agreeable.

By now it is obvious Bailey wasn't heading in the right direction.

And what damage? Maybe damage to the perception of him from the outside.

It's obviously not damaged his ability to perform his role, judging by his recent results.

And what wounds? Who is wounded?

The players? Suck it up & play. Don't worry about the CEO - the tail does not wag the dog.

And I doubt they care, as long as he is not interfering with the football dept.

The coaching staff? There's barely anyone left!

Anyway, you've answered the question yourself.

I suggest if any senior players have an issue with him, it's in their best interests to concentrate on their own performance instead, or else they'll soon be on the scrap heap.

The board? They reappointed him!

• Like 5

Yeah, not sure I agree with that.

If Schwab could see we were going in the wrong direction and interfered in trying to right the ship, I'm not sure I have a problem with that. In fact, I commend it.

It's his role to have the right people in place to do the job, and if he sense they aren't doing it right, he needs to take action.

Maybe the action taken wasnt the best course, but these things are never clean and agreeable.

By now it is obvious Bailey wasn't heading in the right direction.

And what damage? Maybe damage to the perception of him from the outside.

It's obviously not damaged his ability to perform his role, judging by his recent results.

And what wounds? Who is wounded?

The players? Suck it up & play. Don't worry about the CEO - the tail does not wag the dog.

And I doubt they care, as long as he is not interfering with the football dept.

The coaching staff? There's barely anyone left!

Anyway, you've answered the question yourself.

I suggest if any senior players have an issue with him, it's in their best interests to concentrate on their own performance instead, or else they'll soon be on the scrap heap.

The board? They reappointed him!

Good post. Age old law - stay out of matters above your pay grade.

Edited by Range Rover

We haven't seen for a long time such a dispirited team with only a few individuals the odd ones out.

Where's your evidence for this? Please list the dispirited players and the evidence that that informs you they are dispirited.

• Like 1

Where's your evidence for this? Please list the dispirited players and the evidence that that informs you they are dispirited.

I see with my own eyes every week.

Edited by america de cali