On the Couch - Brock talks about 'tanking'

jumbo returns

They are about to be WYL. Anywhere from 10 - 14 of them. So you can rest easy.

What about any senior mgt at the club who might have rammed a tanking plan down the throats of players and coaches?

Are they (if they exist - who was that sport minister who wiped the whiteboard clean) getting the shove too?

Whiteboard Wednesday what bullsh$t

• Like 1

What about any senior mgt at the club who might have rammed a tanking plan down the throats of players and coaches?

Are they (if they exist - who was that sport minister who wiped the whiteboard clean) getting the shove too?

Whiteboard Wednesday what bullsh$t

If proven conclusively to have done so then yes I suppose they (senior mgt) would have to go.

But you know, that's going to require some sort of documented proof. Something down on paper. Taped meetings. That type of thing.

Otherwise it's all a bit of he-said-this, he-said-that ... isn't it.

If proven conclusively to have done so then yes I suppose they (senior mgt) would have to go.

But you know, that's going to require some sort of documented proof. Something down on paper. Taped meetings. That type of thing.

Otherwise it's all a bit of he-said-this, he-said-that ... isn't it.

It will come out. It must.

Don't do that. This is our chance to make a clean sweep.

Yes Gardner tipped a bucket on the club, but i actually see that as a positive.

Short term pain.

Call me crazy I've never seen how one could spin having a bucket of [censored] poured on them a positive. What's positive about it? The smell, the taste, those rubber glove fetish types get their day in the sun?

Gardner's ill informed ramblings were poorly timed & non-sensical. What would he know about it anyway? He claimed the players weren't trying, how any idiot could argue that is beyond me. It was a thinly veiled cheap shot at a defenseless dead man who had taken Paul's plaything away from him.

Any tanking that took place on-field pales into insignificance when compared with Paul's off field tanking; his contribution to our crippling debt, hiring that [censored] McNamee as a part time CEO whose grand plan was to pay J Brown what cash we had left in 2008, his treatment of Daniher & Sheedy through his egocentric coaching process as well as giving Daniher f all money for the FD.

The bloke clearly has NFI about footy & thank goodness he's no longer running the place. Thank goodness he won't be welcomed back either.

• Like 1

Call me crazy I've never seen how one could spin having a bucket of [censored] poured on them a positive. What's positive about it? The smell, the taste, those rubber glove fetish types get their day in the sun?

Gardner's ill informed ramblings were poorly timed & non-sensical. What would he know about it anyway? He claimed the players weren't trying, how any idiot could argue that is beyond me. It was a thinly veiled cheap shot at a defenseless dead man who had taken Paul's plaything away from him.

Any tanking that took place on-field pales into insignificance when compared with Paul's off field tanking; his contribution to our crippling debt, hiring that [censored] McNamee as a part time CEO whose grand plan was to pay J Brown what cash we had left in 2008, his treatment of Daniher & Sheedy through his egocentric coaching process as well as giving Daniher f all money for the FD.

The bloke clearly has NFI about footy & thank goodness he's no longer running the place. Thank goodness he won't be welcomed back either.

Poorly timed would be to deny everything for another season. He may well not be welcomed back but he got the ball rolling. That is the positive.

It will come out. It must.

If there is nothing to come out (documented evidence) how do you propose that will happen? If we are going on the visual interpretation of Paul Gardner (a man who knew nothing about running a football club or football generally IMO) then we may as well commit Harikari, just for the hell of it!

If there is nothing to come out (documented evidence) how do you propose that will happen? If we are going on the visual interpretation of Paul Gardner (a man who knew nothing about running a football club or football generally IMO) then we may as well commit Harikari, just for the hell of it!

Gardner is not the only person to be interviewed. He is small potatoes in all this. He was on the way out when it all began.

Poorly timed would be to deny everything for another season. He may well not be welcomed back but he got the ball rolling. That is the positive.

WYL, I understand your frustration with the management of the club and I share it. The story of 2011 has been shoved under the carpet by senior club officials as witnessed at the AGM where they wouldn't answer questions and I believe this hangs over our attempts to move on as a club. If action is not taken on the management of the club then all the debt demolition will have been wasted and we will be back where we started. The talk of giving time to people who have already had 5 years this time around is not on, we don't have the time. Give time to the football department, they deserve a clear run.

However, the rubbish Paul Gardner is sprouting is not helping to clear things it is just the rambling of an egocentric fool who is too rapped up in his own importance and selfishness too consider the damage he may be doing. Because he is an ex club prez his view is being given far more weight than it deserves. The things he is attaching to tanking are what we see on this site after most games, it is the view of an uninformed fan not happy with how his club is playing, nothing more nothing less.

I hope he is going on a one of his famous long walks this weekend and just keep walking.

Deny what? Are you suggesting that our club so often lamented by you as soft undo one of the few hard-nosed decisions it has taken by getting down on all fours,spread em & admit to tanking? What are the positives in that? Being stripped of players & picks? Financial sanctions? Experienced administrators sacked? Supporters like you & me walking away when all hope for success has been removed? Relocation of matches as the AFL steps in to "assist" us?

Yep I've a tonne of positives out of that scenario, what are yours?

Here's my list of suspected 'tankers' for the AFL to investigate, and it's just quickly from memory. Fill in all that I've missed:

2004 Richmond

2005 Collingwood (early player surgery, the Pendlebury/Thomas draft)

2004/5? Hawthorn

2006 Kangaroos (early medical management)

2007 Carktank (Kreuzer Cup)

2009 MFC (player experimentation)

2010 West Coast

Finally, the AFL should be investigated for gross incompetency and hypocrisy in all this.

This from the AFL's own website:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143133/default.aspx

Dean Bailey coached the Demons to the wooden spoon in 2008 and 2009, securing the first draft picks in both seasons as well as the second pick in 2009.

The Demons used those picks to draft Jack Watts, Tom Scully and Jack Trengove. Scully joined Greater Western Sydney on a multi-million dollar deal in late 2011.

Bailey said last year at his farewell press conference: "I had no hesitation at all in the first two years (2008-09) in ensuring the club was well-placed for draft picks. I was asked to do the best thing by the Melbourne Football Club and I did it. I put players in different positions," Bailey said.

An AFL investigation which followed Bailey's bombshell found the Demons had no case to answer over tanking allegations.

There endeth the story. Or so it should have, until Brock opens his big mouth. in front of silly journo's.

Greg Denham in today's Australian has reported:

AFL general manager of football operations Adrian Anderson last night told The Australian: "Brett has spoken to Brock McLean today and his instructions are to do whatever else is necessary to complete the investigation.

"Brock McLean's comments go beyond what has been said previously and come on top of (former Melbourne coach) Dean Bailey's remarks. It warranted a fresh look."

Whatever we think of Denham and his open hatred of the Dees, if the AFL plan to continue it does not bode well. I'm guessing if they continue they will 'find' a 'sacrificial lamb' to quiten the press which has been baying for MFC blood all year :unsure:

Greg Denham in today's Australian has reported:

AFL general manager of football operations Adrian Anderson last night told The Australian: "Brett has spoken to Brock McLean today and his instructions are to do whatever else is necessary to complete the investigation.

"Brock McLean's comments go beyond what has been said previously and come on top of (former Melbourne coach) Dean Bailey's remarks. It warranted a fresh look."

Whatever we think of Denham and his open hatred of the Dees, if the AFL plan to continue it does not bode well. I'm guessing if they continue they will 'find' a 'sacrificial lamb' to quiten the press which has been baying for MFC blood all year :unsure:

Nothing happens unless Bailey names names. Simple as that.

And if he does, we fight all and sundry and drag the AFL through the mud with us.

Their move.

WYL, I understand your frustration with the management of the club and I share it. The story of 2011 has been shoved under the carpet by senior club officials as witnessed at the AGM where they wouldn't answer questions and I believe this hangs over our attempts to move on as a club. If action is not taken on the management of the club then all the debt demolition will have been wasted and we will be back where we started. The talk of giving time to people who have already had 5 years this time around is not on, we don't have the time. Give time to the football department, they deserve a clear run.

However, the rubbish Paul Gardner is sprouting is not helping to clear things it is just the rambling of an egocentric fool who is too rapped up in his own importance and selfishness too consider the damage he may be doing. Because he is an ex club prez his view is being given far more weight than it deserves. The things he is attaching to tanking are what we see on this site after most games, it is the view of an uninformed fan not happy with how his club is playing, nothing more nothing less.

I hope he is going on a one of his famous long walks this weekend and just keep walking.

Totally agree with your first paragraph. In regards to the second. I am not a Gardner fan, but what it does highlight is that the problems are still festering and i hope it is all addressed very soon.

I just want the slate clean because we are still retarded by it all.

The pot needed stirring. Gardner did that. That is all he did. He is no hero.

Totally agree with your first paragraph. In regards to the second. I am not a Gardner fan, but what it does highlight is that the problems are still festering and i hope it is all addressed very soon.

I just want the slate clean because we are still retarded by it all.

The pot needed stirring. Gardner did that. That is all he did. He is no hero.

Are you serious?

You are happy that the AFL are investigating OUR CLUB so it may uncover what you believe is incompetence at the highest level in the Administration?

Do you really understand what the ramifications of this will be, if they find a top official has instructed the coach to tank?

Good luck finding a new team to support.

• Like 2

Deny what? Are you suggesting that our club so often lamented by you as soft undo one of the few hard-nosed decisions it has taken by getting down on all fours,spread em & admit to tanking? What are the positives in that? Being stripped of players & picks? Financial sanctions? Experienced administrators sacked? Supporters like you & me walking away when all hope for success has been removed? Relocation of matches as the AFL steps in to "assist" us?

Yep I've a tonne of positives out of that scenario, what are yours?

Certain people on & off the field are holding this club back. We must move on from them. Denial that this is happening will not help us

We need to get the "Boys club" out. 2012 has proved that at least.

Wouldn't want to go accusing a recently deceased legend of the game of doing something untoward. Not without conclusive proof anyway.

That would be a shocking thing to do. Said legend's family would be extremely upset I would've thought and straight on the phone to their lawyers.

Edited by Range Rover

Wouldn't want to go accusing a recently deceased legend of the game of doing something untoward. Not without conclusive proof anyway.

That would be a shocking thing to do. Said legend's family would be extremely upset I would've thought and straight on the phone to their lawyers.

There are a few old boys deserving of taking the flack and hopefully dont pass the buck because they know deceased persons dont sue.

Certain people on & off the field are holding this club back. We must move on from them. Denial that this is happening will not help us

We need to get the "Boys club" out. 2012 has proved that at least.

You know there's a quote that timD used on this site when arguing with a nuffy the other day that will suffice for you in this situation: "you are fighting an imaginary war against an enemy that doesn't exist to prove a point you won't admit you're trying to make."

FMD.

Edited by Jimmi C
  • Like 2

There are a few old boys deserving of taking the flack and hopefully dont pass the buck because they know deceased persons dont sue.

Flack for what? Getting us two compo picks for Scully and bringing in a hardarse coach? They deserve pats on the back and a pay rise.

Unfortuntely if mud is going to be thrown it's going to splat all over the wonderful legacy of a universally loved, Melbourne champion who succumbed valiantly to cancer.

So Deano Bailey ... over to you mate.

Edited by Range Rover