• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Total Faith in the Neeld Way

While I am still committed to having faith in Neeld, the gameplan and the hopes for the future we have pinned on him, I am somewhat amazed at the total 100% faith people have in his approach.

I mean, surely there must be some tiny element of doubt.... i know i have some. We are absolutely shocking right now, and to have total faith in things turning around seems kind weird.....

• Like 1

I think anyone sensible would have some doubt about an untried senior coach who has yet to deliver results. The point is it's too early to know.

Is Sanderson the best coach in the AFL? Hey, it seems so! But maybe he's just got the cattle!

• Like 5

We are bad, cause we dont have enough good players. Its simple really.

• Like 3

I do have a doubt. He has repeatedly mentioned leading patterns and forward structures as if they are something that are in place and being used. However, all we ever see in matches are high bombs to the top of the square. Why do you have leading patterns if nobody ever kicks to a leading player? Are the midfielders not following instructions when they ignore the percentage play and bomb long instead? If so, why are they still getting games? If the instructions are to bomb it long to the square eery time then I have some very serious issues with Neeld and his minions.

• Like 4

For all of his tough talk, Neeld has given mug punters only one key selection criteria by which to judge him.

From when he took over the reigns in September last year:

I simply want to coach the team that is the hardest to play against in the AFL.

That means that all over the ground, we are going to be the hardest team to play against, that's what our aim is, it's as simple as that.

I know the way that the boys are going to play, and we're going to educate them in that way.

That's going to be our number one challenge, and we're going to stick to that.

Yes, it is too early to pass definitive judgement on Neeld but with only five games left in the season, it is not to early to make some observations about his progress to date. I certainly hope the club's administration have some Key Performance Indicators of their own (though I have my doubts), but whatever you have to say about Neeld, it is difficult to demonstrate that our team has made any meaningful progress towards his stated goal of becoming "hard to play against".

The last time I felt that we looked genuinely hard to play against, was when we played Collingwood in round 2 of the pre-season. I know it was just a practice match, I know we have taken some beltings in the last couple of years (to say the least) and I know we've had some injuries this year. Nevertheless, it seems that, judging by his self-imposed criteria of being hard to play against, Neeld has failed this year and the team has only gone downhill since round 2 of the pre-season warm up matches. I am not writing him off, but nor do I think he has given us any demonstrable cause for hope.

Edited by Hazyshadeofgrinter
  • Like 2

We are bad, cause we dont have enough good players. Its simple really.

We are bad, because we don't have enough players who play good.

... slightly different. Same outcome though.

• Like 1

Reality is, it's more complicated than any one thing, and my pet hate at the moment here is all the "it's the ...... stupid" threads that embody the stupidness they seek to expound.

It's not JUST the coaches fault, it's not JUST the players fault, it's not JUST the recruiters and development staff's fault, it's not JUST Bailey's fault... It's a combination of all those things and more.

I know we all hoped Neeld would come in and everything would click, but it hasn't, and he's learning and growing just like the team is.

Might work, might not... I'm not gonna tell anyone to be patient etc because I'm struggling this year as much as the rest of you, all I know is it's too late to change teams now!

• Like 14

I do have a doubt. He has repeatedly mentioned leading patterns and forward structures as if they are something that are in place and being used. However, all we ever see in matches are high bombs to the top of the square. Why do you have leading patterns if nobody ever kicks to a leading player? Are the midfielders not following instructions when they ignore the percentage play and bomb long instead? If so, why are they still getting games? If the instructions are to bomb it long to the square eery time then I have some very serious issues with Neeld and his minions.

Ralphius

Luke Hodge made simllar comments about Melbourne's game style under Neeld.

Edited by thaipantsman

Melbourne supporters in Sept 07: "Bailey can get us playing finals again, he won't be the soft touch Neale was..."

Melbourne supporters R1 08: "WTF!? Oh well, clearly ND & CAC have left the list in a shitful state. Time to move on the older players, blood some youth & rebuild through the draft to complement our talented youth in McLean, Bate & Dunn."

Melbourne supporters in July 09: "Bailey needs to tank, his job depends on it. Scully will transform the culture of our club."

Melbourne supporters R1 10: "FFS Bailey! We're not trying to lose games anymore!"

Melbourne supporters R17 10: "FWGJAM. I don't see who or what can stop us becoming the next superpower now. We've timed our run perfectly, sucks to be Richmond or West Coast right now."

Melbourne supporters R6 11: "Bailey has NFI. Look at his win loss record. Sack him, appoint Malthouse."

Melbourne supporters Sep 11:"Ok so we didn't get MM but Neeld is the next best thing, our very own mini Mick. He's the no nonsense type that our group needs & won't be the soft touch that Bailey was."

Melbourne supporters R1 12: "WTF!? Bailey & BP have left the place in a shitful state. We need to build through the draft & compliment the talented youngsters on our list. At least Neeld will give us the steely edge that was missing under that idiot DB."

Melbourne supporters July 12: "I am really worried. We are worse than last year. I miss Dean. Neeld is only going to cost us members & send us further backwards."

Amirite?

• Like 13

Melbourne supporters in Sept 07: "Bailey can get us playing finals again, he won't be the soft touch Neale was..."

Melbourne supporters R1 08: "WTF!? Oh well, clearly ND & CAC have left the list in a shitful state. Time to move on the older players, blood some youth & rebuild through the draft to complement our talented youth in McLean, Bate & Dunn."

Melbourne supporters in July 09: "Bailey needs to tank, his job depends on it. Scully will transform the culture of our club."

Melbourne supporters R1 10: "FFS Bailey! We're not trying to lose games anymore!"

Melbourne supporters R17 10: "FWGJAM. I don't see who or what can stop us becoming the next superpower now. We've timed our run perfectly, sucks to be Richmond or West Coast right now."

Melbourne supporters R6 11: "Bailey has NFI. Look at his win loss record. Sack him, appoint Malthouse."

Melbourne supporters Sep 11:"Ok so we didn't get MM but Neeld is the next best thing, our very own mini Mick. He's the no nonsense type that our group needs & won't be the soft touch that Bailey was."

Melbourne supporters R1 12: "WTF!? Bailey & BP have left the place in a shitful state. We need to build through the draft & compliment the talented youngsters on our list. At least Neeld will give us the steely edge that was missing under that idiot DB."

Melbourne supporters July 12: "I am really worried. We are worse than last year. I miss Dean. Neeld is only going to cost us members & send us further backwards."

Amirite?

Your 3rd point was a beauty and turned out to be so prophetic .

Reality is, it's more complicated than any one thing, and my pet hate at the moment here is all the "it's the ...... stupid" threads that embody the stupidness they seek to expound.

It's not JUST the coaches fault, it's not JUST the players fault, it's not JUST the recruiters and development staff's fault, it's not JUST Bailey's fault... It's a combination of all those things and more.

I know we all hoped Neeld would come in and everything would click, but it hasn't, and he's learning and growing just like the team is.

Might work, might not... I'm not gonna tell anyone to be patient etc because I'm struggling this year as much as the rest of you, all I know is it's too late to change teams now!

The best post of the last 24 hours, bar none.

This is a good point.

If leading patterns & kicking to them were part of instructions but the players just weren't good enough to do it, you'd expect to see some of them at least trying to do it. You'd expect to see some variability, with some of them doing it better (OK, less worse) than others.

But this is not what we see. The long bomb seems to be the preferred option for everybody.

• Like 1

Amirite?

Brilliant. The only thing to disagree with is that nobody in their right mind could miss Dean.

Looking forward:

Nov 12 "We've got Viney!" "We've got [other kids]. The future is bright."

Jan 13: "Misson has had them for two pre-seasons. They've got the fitness base now."

R1 13: "Oh no, not again"

R8 13 "Sack Neeld!"

Sep 13 "Sure, sacking Neeld with a year to run on his contract was expensive but now we've got an experienced coach in Matthew Knights we"ll be set to make an run at the finals. But we have to be patient"

It makes me laugh.. It also worries me that so many have so little understanding of a process.

Its like someone saying..i.e a builder. Ill build you a house., but more the point I'll build you a house where that dillapidated run down box of sticks and bricks is. Ill build you this house and it'll take me 3 years . Then people start getting sh!tty after i when there obviously had to be serious demolition and clearing of the site before any real works could start.

Its a mess because you have to have mess, then you clean it away and start the build proper.

I cant beleive so many of you are that f*^#ing ignorant of process.

I have full faith in Neeld and the FD and the Board overseeing it. I have faith as I havent seen anything to suade me otherwise. If in a years time were still clearing the site, and no foundations are in place, then and only then will I think theres a problem. What Im currently seeing is pleasing to me. It means someones finally getting serious about a job that reuires hard decisions and a steel nerve. Something many of you obviously lack !! ya whinging bastards

Edited by belzebub59
  • Like 5

It makes me laugh.. It also worries me that somanyhave so littleunderstanding of a process.

Its like someone saying..i.e a builder. Ill build you a house., but morethe point I'll build you a house wherethat dillapidated run down box of sticks and bricks is. Ill build you this house and it'll take me 3 years . Then people start getting sh!tty after i when there obviouslyhad to be serious demolition and clearing of the site before any real works could start.

Its a mess because you have to have mess, then you clean it away and start the build proper.

I cant beleive so many of you are that f*^#ing ignorant of process.

I have full faith in Neeld and the FD and the Board overseeing it. I have faith as I havent seen anything to suade me otherwise. If in a years time were still clearing the site, and no foundations are in place, then and only then will I think theres a problem. What Imcurrentlyseeing is pleasing to me. It means someones finally gettign serious about a job that reuires hard decisions and a steel nerve. Something many of you obviously lack !! ya whinging bastards

Don't you hold back now, B59...

We have no midfield. Without a proper focal point up front in Clark we have no passable forward line. Watts injured. And so on.

What are people expecting? Most sane pundits expected as to get rolled by 8 - 10 goals .... and lo and behold we did.

You can't polish a turd. In the off season Neeld will flush this one and start anew.

I am so happy this change is finally about to happen at the club. We should all be rejoicing.

• Like 3

Really though, what choice do we have? The club can't afford to sack everyone and start again, there is only one path we can take now for the next couple of seasons.

I still believe that Neeld can turn it around but it's clear that we badly overstated our list 3 years ago.

Our next big decision will be whether to draft kids or trade for experience

Don't you hold back now, B59...

I wont..Im sick of the whinging stupidity that comes on here at times. There are some who obviously have the brain power of a 5 yo on green cordial and then there seem to be a lot who obviously couldnt run a [censored] up in a brewery yet challenge those that actually know how to do it. I wonder sometimes is it out of jealously, pure ignorance, or some relative of the tall poppy syndrome.

Some cant stand it when their chosen idol is lamabasted becuase the bloke simply cant play to save his life ( at AFL level ) and they take personal offence. It annoys me that some seem to have no life what so ever outside of following a football team they they have had any quality of persepctive erased from their sight.

It annoys me that some cant understand that even if there were some major stuff ups over the last so many years , by many , that its NOT Neelds fault. Hes been here not even a yeasr. it will take a few seasons and definitely a 2-3 presaeasons to drum the new way into the new list ( or new form of it ) Yet some still think that because nothing is visible before them that its all bad and all going downhill.

Its not all bad . Its a process, the battering balls and dozers are about to come in. The architects and engineers have been on the job for a while now. What will be just as amusing to me will be when we are starting to climb, are becoming the NEW Demons that some clowns will think and utter, "its about bloody time" without deference to the idea its been happening all along, just that they were too dumb or blind to see it.

Go Dees

Edited by belzebub59
  • Like 7

My daughter and nephews dropped us after the NAB match against the Hawks, they refused to go to school and get humiliated every week. They now follow the Hawks.

I take them them to every game possible, must admit watching a team play a nice style of Football is very enjoyable.

Still a DEE but have stopped going to games after round 1.

If we start a rebuild now and it's done correctly we should be okay in 3 to 4 years, I have seen to many failed rebuilds thus my hopes of anything great happening are not to great.

Not sure about Neeld and his style ,

• Like 2

Our next big decision will be whether to draft kids or trade for experience

Like anything, it's about balance. We tried the full go for youth (and high draft picks) strategy and it backfired badly, hopefully we can restore the balance a little and give our young players leaders to look up to.

• Like 1