• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tick tock tick tock... Neeld has 16 matches to improve

bandicoot

Guest Jackie

He was an assistant coach for us now was he, Jackie ???

He was an assistant coach for us now was he, Jackie ???

Yes he was check your facts Long time ago but more recently reluctant interim coach. Former manager of player(non) development in which he showed outstanding aptitude.

Eww aren't you a nasty piece of work.

2000 as mid coach.

Which we made the GF.

I think you'll find that Jackie's "do your own legwork" is code for, "I have a vague memory of something along those lines, but perhaps you could find out for me and post on my behalf". Well, it seems to have blown up his his/her face, doesn't it :-)

Guest Jackie

Eww aren't you a nasty piece of work.

2000 as mid coach.

Which we made the GF.

Granted, but you must agree that he has been a miserable player development manager for us recently and he's not so inspirational as the interim coach during our deep crisis. But the big payoff will be when young Jack joins us. With our track record of developing budding superstars I question is it going to be worth it? IMO he's just a former great player who is now earning his retirement super at the club.

Edited by Jackie

I'm pretty certain that our natopian friend wanted Malthouse of Roos in the coaches box... however, I sincerely doubt that even under their tutilage our fortunes would be any better than they presently are. The thing that I have trouble comprehending with these kinds of posters is that they seem to believe that only established coaches can bring success... is this telling us that the Malthouses and Roos of the world were never first time coaches; that they have always tasted nothing but success?

I'm pretty certain that our natopian friend wanted Malthouse of Roos in the coaches box... however, I sincerely doubt that even under their tutilage our fortunes would be any better than they presently are. The thing that I have trouble comprehending with these kinds of posters is that they seem to believe that only established coaches can bring success... is this telling us that the Malthouses and Roos of the world were never first time coaches; that they have always tasted nothing but success?

Malthouse took over from a struggling T.Shaw at Collingwood. Within a very short period of time, he took an average playing list to Grand Finalists for 2 consecutive years.

P.Roos took over a poor performing Swans outfit and turned them into Premiers within a short period aswell. Both team lists were average, but these coaches had the ability to turn average teams into champion teams.

And, they didn't need to bottom out, they just starting winning, and developed a winning culture almost immediately.

We want a winning culture. And if that means win win half of our games instead of 10% of our games, surely it is a better outcome.

And to answer your question, I would have selected Sheedy over Bailey, and later Malthouse over Neeld.

I am dissapointed that the club gambled our future on unproven coaches. Nobody in their right mind would second guess Sheedy or Malthouse, they are tried, tested and proven performers, 2 of the best coaches of all time.

This is probably why I am so impatient with Neeld. There are better candiates waiting in the stands that if selected, will allow us to have a better crack at the premiership in a quicker period of time.

So, we remain patient and continue the gamble with Neeld or we move decisively and hire Malthouse or Roos.

NB. I would have picked Mathews over both of them, however he was either unavailable or unmotivated.

Granted, but you must agree that he has been a miserable player development manager for us recently and he's not so inspirational as the interim coach during our deep crisis. But the big payoff will be when young Jack joins us. With our track record of developing budding superstars I question is it going to be worth it? IMO he's just a former great player who is now earning his retirement super at the club.

I can't agree that he has been a "miserable player development manager" - because I don't necessarily know the work he has undertaken with certain individuals as a collective. Although I doubt it would be "miserable". I dare say after 186, many would have struggled to be inspirational in a short temporary stint in getting the players up after such a poor showing.Having a dig at a former great servant of the Mfc simply referring to his current job as retirement super is pretty low. He has a pretty important job to fulfil this year and he has the clubs support; dare I say it, most of the membership/supporter base too.

Neeld has up until round 10 next year to improve this side otherwise there is no way his contract will be extended.

At this rate there is a distinct possibility that we will only win 1 or 2 games in the first half of 2013.

If this is the case 'sayonara' Neeld. Even the most inept board will not stick the course with you.

Please don't give me the "he needs time to change the culture" or "we need to start recruiting from scratch"... None of the top clubs would except this mediocre performance.

The clock is ticking. any suggested replacements?

Replacements? Malthouse/Lovett/Lloyd/Sheedy/Mark Williams if available.

Followed Melbourne staunchly since 66. Watched many coaches come and go as most of us here has. Many feel (including RROVER) I am anti Neeld. Can assure all that is not the case nor do I dislike him. Have coached many games and consider myself a reasonable strategist.

Sad Melbourne did not manage to secure a coach in the mould of the Scott Brothers or even a Hardwick. Kangaroos and Melbourne are miles apart now while at this stage last year both were tipped to be finals contenders for 2012. Enter Neeld. Scott's Kangas are progressing and Melbourne are playing the poorest brand of Football I have seen since the Denis Jones Year.

Neeld has issues with strategy and just basic eye contact with media and his players. Masses of spin and hot air mixed up with talk of elitism. IMO the players are good enough and most would thrive in other teams. Howe, Frawley, Garland, Moloney, SYLVIA, Jetta, Petterd, Blease are just a few that come to mind that are significantly underachieving under Neeld.

Round one V Brisbane the writing was on the wall. All to play for...All came to nothing!!

We all must endure two more year of this. We must also watch the youngest most talented players go further backward in development. (Tapscotts, Bleases, Watt's, Gysberts, Mortons and so on.

The whole process of the appointment was seeminglys rushed and made not only in haste but in extremely emotional and volatile times. IMO Gary wanted to make a statement the club was moving forward for Jimmy. Gaz did his best.

Malthouse took over from a struggling T.Shaw at Collingwood. Within a very short period of time, he took an average playing list to Grand Finalists for 2 consecutive years.

P.Roos took over a poor performing Swans outfit and turned them into Premiers within a short period aswell. Both team lists were average, but these coaches had the ability to turn average teams into champion teams.

In both these instances the list wasnt nearly as bad as some suspected it was however squarely in teh coaches realm as to how well they were travelling.

Tony Shaw couldnt coach the sheel off a prawn. Rocket was tired and stale by the time he left the Swannies.

Swap in decent coaches and they perked up.

Coming back to Melbourne where we had/have a very lacklustre list ( but lots of potential....i bet ) we had a coach who by all accounts failed to lift his charges. Weve now introduced a bloke who has a reasonable track record and pedigree prior to arriving. You cant make silk from a sours ear !!

And, they didn't need to bottom out, they just starting winning, and developed a winning culture almost immediately.

We want a winning culture. And if that means win win half of our games instead of 10% of our games, surely it is a better outcome.

And to answer your question, I would have selected Sheedy over Bailey, and later Malthouse over Neeld.

I am dissapointed that the club gambled our future on unproven coaches. Nobody in their right mind would second guess Sheedy or Malthouse, they are tried, tested and proven performers, 2 of the best coaches of all time.

This is probably why I am so impatient with Neeld. There are better candiates waiting in the stands that if selected, will allow us to have a better crack at the premiership in a quicker period of time.

So, we remain patient and continue the gamble with Neeld or we move decisively and hire Malthouse or Roos.

NB. I would have picked Mathews over both of them, however he was either unavailable or unmotivated.

Due to contract restrictions Malthouse could not apply for the job at Melbourne. He recommended Neeld and Lyon went with the recommendation. Neeld was coach. Melbourne was the only team that wanted him contrary to what has been written.

Roos, Sheedy, Malthouse , R. Lyon......Yes Please!

After this year two more years of Neeld. Extremely Sad.

This is not correct. Neither was actually available and their records are below.

Roos:

Since 1995, the Sydney Swans are the only club not to have missed the finals in consecutive seasons, only missing the finals in 2000, 2002 and 2009. They were 7th in 2001 and Roos took over mid 2002. He came off a very different base to Neeld.

Malthouse:

1995 – 1999 Collingwood finished 10th, 11th, 10th, 14th and 16th

Malthouse in 2000 took them one slot higher to 15th (Leon Davis, Ben Johnson, Rhyce Shaw and Josh Fraser were recrutied) and then in 2001 (Alan Didak, Shane Wakelin) they went to 9th.

If Neeld had replaced Malthouse or Bomber Thompson his coaching credentials would be very different. Can Buckley or Scott actually coach, that is something that we will only know when they have been in charge for a while not one year with lists at the top of their game.

In both these instances the list wasnt nearly as bad as some suspected it was however squarely in teh coaches realm as to how well they were travelling.

Tony Shaw couldnt coach the sheel off a prawn. Rocket was tired and stale by the time he left the Swannies.

Swap in decent coaches and they perked up.

Coming back to Melbourne where we had/have a very lacklustre list ( but lots of potential....i bet ) we had a coach who by all accounts failed to lift his charges. Weve now introduced a bloke who has a reasonable track record and pedigree prior to arriving. You cant make silk from a sours ear !!

"Sours Ear" Both Malthouse and Voss commented Melbourne had one of the best lists "potentially"..in the Competition. Enter M. Neeld.

Neither Malthouse or Roos would have wanted to take the helm of this club last year.

Ohhh - I forgot - opinions don't need to be rooted in reality on this thread.

One fact to consider though - Malthouse strongly endorsed Neeld and rates him very highly.

This is not correct.

Roos:

Since 1995, the Sydney Swans are the only club not to have missed the finals in consecutive seasons, only missing the finals in 2000, 2002 and 2009. They were 7th in 2001 and Roos took over mid 2002. He came off a very different base to Neeld.

Malthouse:

1995 – 1999 Collingwood finished 10th, 11th, 10th, 14th and 16th

Malthouse in 2000 took them one slot higher to 15th (Leon Davis, Ben Johnson, Rhyce Shaw and Josh Fraser were recrutied) and then in 2001 (Alan Didak, Shane Wakelin) they went to 9th.

If Neeld had replaced Malthouse or Bomber Thompson his coaching credentials would be very different. Can Buckley or Scott actually coach, that is something that we will only know when they have been in charge for a while not one year with lists at the top of their game.

Mark Neeld would not have got the Gig at Magpies or Bombers . Yes Buckley and Scottsss can Coach. Observe how the Kangaroos have left Melbourne for Dead. Observe the basic game style . Melbourne ignore the loose player preferring to kick to contest. This is one reason Melbourne don't spread well under Neeld. POLICY!!! Kangaroos do both! Spread and create loose players and not afraid to attack via corridor.

Neither Malthouse or Roos would have wanted to take the helm of this club last year.

One fact to consider though - Malthouse strongly endorsed Neeld and rates him very highly.

Malthouse also rated our list very highly... There's some rooted reality for you!

Mathouse started his coaching career at Footscray with the following record: 7th (1984), 3rd (1985), 8th (1986), 7th (1987), 8th (1988) and 13th (1989)... so his finals record was relatively poor.

Yes, Roos had a much more successful start to his coaching career, but it could easily be argued that he had a much more talented and experienced list to work with.

I was hoping at the time that we would get Sheedy, but they chose not to go down that path, and I have seen little at GWS to suggest that Sheedy is having any major impact there... I am more inclined to believe that he is less coach and more spruiker at that club. As for Malthouse and Roos, neither was making themselves available for a coaching position at the time and Neeld was believed by many to be one of the best on offer... that may or may not be the case; but he needs time to prove this.

Edited by hardtack

Mr. Bush..I mean Ron!! "Rooted in Reality". Love it!

Mathouse started his coaching career at Footscray with the following record: 7th (1984), 3rd (1985), 8th (1986), 7th (1987), 8th (1988) and 13th (1989)... so his finals record was relatively poor.

Yes, Roos had a much more successful start to his coaching career, but it could easily be argued that he had a much more talented and experienced list to work with.

I was hoping at the time that we would get Sheedy, but they chose not to go down that path, and I have seen little at GWS to suggest that Sheedy is having any major impact there... I am more inclined to believe that he is less coach and more spruiker at that club. As for Malthouse and Roos, neither was making themselves available for a coaching position at the time and Neeld was believed by many to be one of the best on offer... that may or may not be the case; but he needs time to prove this.

This is true Hardrack and the sad reality. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong and Demons will make Final 8 next year. I'm F>>> Passionate Demon and would love it to happen. Just can't see any indication. Zero!!