The Likely Picks?

beelzebub

I see the jack viney bidding process a bit of a bluff, kind of like all the clubs who were going to take Luke ball ahead of collingwood. Everyone knows he wants to be at Melbourne. Why waste a first round pick on him If he will only leave after the first contract?

I see the jack viney bidding process a bit of a bluff, kind of like all the clubs who were going to take Luke ball ahead of collingwood. Everyone knows he wants to be at Melbourne. Why waste a first round pick on him If he will only leave after the first contract?

Because it was never about getting Jack Viney, only getting us to pay the maximum possible.

• Like 1

Because it was never about getting Jack Viney, only getting us to pay the maximum possible.

yes...everyone will be playing games of their own. Some might just like to see us pay full whack as some sort of kharma. Some twisted folk out there.

yes...everyone will be playing games of their own. Some might just like to see us pay full whack as some sort of kharma. Some twisted folk out there.

And they will make Essendon pay full price for Daniher and North for McDonald.

It's not the business of AFL teams to let the competing businesses have a leg up.

It's not the business of AFL teams to let the competing businesses have a leg up.

Easier to do against them, as for example Bombers will be later in the first round and Daniher is meant to be a high pick. Therefore a few clubs ahead of Bombers would be prepared to nominate and take him.

Bombers however, will do very well getting a player much later than his pick would be if he wasn't father/son. That won't be full price.

We on the other hand could be forced to use a pick much higher than would be needed if he wasn't a father/son selection.

Edited by Redleg

But as i have said nominating Viney will be a big call from either GWS and GC, they won't do it to just to avoid giving the dees a leg up. If they nominate him and we don't elect to take him well we have the choice of either the best or second best player (as defined by likely top 2 picks by pundits and clubs - and there usually is two stand outs). Mighty big risk for the franchise clubs.

High stakes poker and we have the upper hand. They pick Viney, we fold and pick up 1 or 2

• Like 1

We will win in this draft anyway you look at it cant wait for 2 or 3 gun young mids. 2015 will be the year of the DEMON.

But as i have said nominating Viney will be a big call from either GWS and GC, they won't do it to just to avoid giving the dees a leg up. If they nominate him and we don't elect to take him well we have the choice of either the best or second best player (as defined by likely top 2 picks by pundits and clubs - and there usually is two stand outs). Mighty big risk for the franchise clubs.

High stakes poker and we have the upper hand. They pick Viney, we fold and pick up 1 or 2

We won't fold though. We aren't playing poker very well, our cards are facing the other players!

They can see what we have because we have declared our hand - we will take him and we won't care if he is the 6th best player in the draft - we will take him at 3 if we have to.

And unless we can get some surreptitious deals happening with GC and GWS that's what'll happen.

• Like 1

We won't fold though. We aren't playing poker very well, our cards are facing the other players!

They can see what we have because we have declared our hand - we will take him and we won't care if he is the 6th best player in the draft - we will take him at 3 if we have to.

And unless we can get some surreptitious deals happening with GC and GWS that's what'll happen.

No i don't agree. We declared our hand before Neeld came on board. I have no doubt Neeld won't be swayed by any previous deal or sentimentality. if he doesn't think Viney is top 5 we won't pick him. He has flagged this already

No i don't agree. We declared our hand before Neeld came on board. I have no doubt Neeld won't be swayed by any previous deal or sentimentality. if he doesn't think Viney is top 5 we won't pick him. He has flagged this already

Look, I am all aboard the 'if he is worth it, we will take him at 3' propaganda machine - it's necessary to allow the expansion teams an 'out' when questioned why they didn't nominate Viney; they will point to their concern that Viney wasn't worth Pick one or two or that we might not take him if they nominated him, etc.

But they are all beautiful lies and underneath those convenient untruths we will have three teams complicit in a deal that will push Viney into the mid 20s and net GWS pick 3 and GC a talented 17 year old.

Guest José Mourinho

Looking at likely prospects, and I really think based on the fixture we will either end up in 16th or 15th position

If that is the case then ....

Pick 3-4 - jack viney (don't think we will get him in the second round - def worth it here though )

Pick 4-5 compo pick - stringer/toumpas/Vlastuin/ Grundy /Simpson / plowman

These would all be good options ...heard somewhere that the club rates Lachlan plowman very highly (dees supporter too ) Andrew mackie type , so halfback flanker could push to the wing , I would love jimmy toumpas though , quick skillful classy mid with real leadership

Stringer would be a good get , Brendan Goddard type ,explosive fwd/utility , but is recovering after a broken leg

Pick 13 - Menzel (brother of Daniel ) , O'Rourke , Kennedy (would give us a great small forward option who tackles )

Or possibly Dayle Garlett , Oliver wines , mathew Haynes, Sam Mayes could all be good options at this pick

Anyone want to stick their neck out and say who we should recruit this year ?

Plowman.

I want Lachie Plowman.

Look, I am all aboard the 'if he is worth it, we will take him at 3' propaganda machine - it's necessary to allow the expansion teams an 'out' when questioned why they didn't nominate Viney; they will point to their concern that Viney wasn't worth Pick one or two or that we might not take him if they nominated him, etc.

But they are all beautiful lies and underneath those convenient untruths we will have three teams complicit in a deal that will push Viney into the mid 20s and net GWS pick 3 and GC a talented 17 year old.

I'm confused. I think we agree. We will get Viney in the mid 20's. I'm not sure about the propaganda machine though. Neeld will have the final say and if he wants Viney bad enough we won't risk losing him. Conversely if he wants another player more i'm pretty confident he'll do what needs to be done.

I don't have any idea of the talent of the under 18's, its enough for me working out our current team. I'll leave the analysis to the professionals.

murky isn t it..lol

Friends -- have no doubt whatsoever that Mr Dimitrou will as always "do the right thing"in a fair and equitable manner. Don't worry your little minds about these matters -- Andrew will look after us. :(

I'm confused. I think we agree. We will get Viney in the mid 20's. I'm not sure about the propaganda machine though. Neeld will have the final say and if he wants Viney bad enough we won't risk losing him. Conversely if he wants another player more i'm pretty confident he'll do what needs to be done.

I don't have any idea of the talent of the under 18's, its enough for me working out our current team. I'll leave the analysis to the professionals.

We agree on the language used by the club with regard to Viney. But I know it is hollow because whatever the outcome - we will take Viney at the point at which we are forced to.

We agree on the language used by the club with regard to Viney. But I know it is hollow because whatever the outcome - we will take Viney at the point at which we are forced to.

Assuming that we shall take Viney where we are forced to, we need to make the cost to GC and GWS as high as possible.

They are about to invest a large amount of cash, development, club pride and future hope their 1st pick and 2nd picks in the draft. We need to make it clear that they'll be tarnishing the brand of the kid they pick if they claim they would have taken JackViney before him. Neeld and Cam in the lead up to the F/S selection should publically say good the likely 1 and 2nd pick are and how insulting it would be to them if GC or GWS actually would prefer someone else.

If they are going to burn us by saying they'll take Jack at 1 or 2 when they had no real intention to pick him (i.e. they don't believe him to be 1st or 2nd pick and/0r assume we will be forced to pick him with pick 3) then lets make them realise there is a cost. And the cost is the tarnished brand of their No 1 or No 2 pick...

Edited by PaulRB

Was just reading up on the father son rule:

FOR every nominated father-son player, each club in the competition has the option to bid for the player, in reverse ladder order. If a bid is made, the club that nominated the father-son player must use its next available selection if it wishes to retain its hold on that player.

If no bid is made by another club, the club that nominated the father-son eligible player will forfeit its last selection in the draft to select the player.

Does that mean that if any team lower than us doesn't nominate for Jack Viney, that we get to use our last selection in the draft on Viney? Or any club can nominate for him at any time and we are just required to use our next pick to secure him?

I am also assuming that if GWS/GCS nominate him before the draft with their #1 pick, and then we secure him with our first pick they still get to use their #1 pick at the actual draft?

Does anyone have any stats on what picks all father/sons were taken at - is it generally the first pick the club has?

Was just reading up on the father son rule:

Does that mean that if any team lower than us doesn't nominate for Jack Viney, that we get to use our last selection in the draft on Viney? Or any club can nominate for him at any time and we are just required to use our next pick to secure him?

I am also assuming that if GWS/GCS nominate him before the draft with their #1 pick, and then we secure him with our first pick they still get to use their #1 pick at the actual draft?

Does anyone have any stats on what picks all father/sons were taken at - is it generally the first pick the club has?

Any club, at any pick can nominate Viney.

Whoever finished last, gets first bite. then second last etc etc etc

If for instance Nth melb was the first to nominate, and they comitted to using pick 8 (if they had pick 8), then we could land him with our second rd pick.

With all the talk over the years, i am amazed some still dont understand.

• Like 1

If/when a club nominates Viney, we have to use our next available pick to theirs (excluding compensation picks).

If a club nominates Viney and they finished below us, our next available pick would be our first-round pick.

If a club nominates Viney and they finished above us (and the teams below us haven't nominated him), our next available pick would be our second-round pick.

If no club nominates Viney at all, only then can we use our last pick.

• Like 1

I guess this was also the main question I had - if another team nominates him but we secure him, do they get to use that pick in the draft, or is it gone?

Could be that some of us haven't cared before... who was the last father/son that Melbourne picked up?

Yeah, fair enough. My apologies.

But if you want the answers, most are available in earlier posts in this thread

I think it would be worthwhile for the sanity of all of us, if there was a sticky available for this.

Edited by faultydet