Mark Stevens raises tanking

Jonesbag

There is an element to the Stevens article that does ring true (shame he tarnished it with the rest of the bollocks), i refer to the notion that obviously the club expects a hideous year, well at least the worst of the coming years to come as they have indeed rolled the dice with the comp picks. You wouldnt do this unless you do 1) expect to struggle somewhat and finish in a position that would benefit ( as much as possible ) the club going forward and 2) that coming years ought to get better.

Both assumptions...and fraught with danger I concede

So it therefore goes that whillst the degree of calamity might not have been predicted/expected, nor was any great amount of success ( this year )

• Like 1

There is an element to the Stevens article that does ring true (shame he tarnished it with the rest of the bollocks), i refer to the notion that obviously the club expects a hideous year, well at least the worst of the coming years to come as they have indeed rolled the dice with the comp picks. You wouldnt do this unless you do 1) expect to struggle somewhat and finish in a position that would benefit ( as much as possible ) the club going forward and 2) that coming years ought to get better.

Both assumptions...and fraught with danger I concede

So it therefore goes that whillst the degree of calamity might not have been predicted/expected, nor was any great amount of success ( this year )

Personally i think the club should knuckle down and try and win some football matches.....i do not want to see 8,000 people at the MCG watching a crud game of football on a sunday evening...where revenue will plummet....on the promise that we get high draft picks again.

We did it once and got burnt...

Personally i think the club should knuckle down and try and win some football matches.....i do not want to see 8,000 people at the MCG watching a crud game of football on a sunday evening...where revenue will plummet....on the promise that we get high draft picks again.

Me to wyl

I go to the football to see the dees win

That is all I want

What the Media have suggested in the past is that an instruction would come from the coach to the players that club needs to lose the game today ?

Anyone who has played a team sport like football that has so many players on the ground knows how stupid that sounds

Ludicrous suggestion

And what all those who accuse us for example of throwing that game against Richmond fail to remember is that Jordan McMahon only won the game with a fairly difficult long kick after the siren.

Had we really wanted to tank that day we very nearly blew it.

PS: and as for that Kruzer cup game, I refused to go as I knew the outcome. I couldnt share any excitement at winning - it was a shameless charade played out in front of Mr Integrity's very eyes.

PS: and as for that Kruzer cup game, I refused to go as I knew the outcome. I couldnt share any excitement at winning - it was a shameless charade played out in front of Mr Integrity's very eyes.

Correct....i smashed a radio that night....we had given Carlton more Gold that night...after they had cheated the books for decades....

Im not advocating going out and not trying to win. Im not advocating the directives to "play players in ...interesting positions"

What im saying is it obviosly comes as no greta surprise that we arent setting the world on fire. The great teams of this century , i.ethe likes of Geelong, Brisbane, Hawthorn and dare i say it that team of Filth all had some very medicocre games, indeed season(s) as their respective rebuilds to hold. Brisbane possibly a bit of anexception , bit still bumbled to start.

Why....because the teams didnt comprise the required talent to start with, not across the board nor with experience, real experience (75-100 games ) in legs that prove more than useful in years to come. But rebuild/build they did and play together they did and eventually things clicked. There was the required tweaking along theway, this bloke out, new bloke in etc but they came from raw positions .

So the FD will have to think...who's likely tobe in any decent lineup in 2-3 years time. If the name doesnt pop out now...then in simple terms theyll be relegated to playing out their days with the MFC in the ressies. yes we're paying/paid them but we are dealing with that finite of resources called time. That is more precious for some players to develop than the dollar value already accredited to some players.

So this is where we go back to the time honoured way of 'list management". Its not game throwing,its not tanking (as some rightfullysuggest it infers a a decision not towin where youcould) We simply cant, arent able.

Neeld upon arriving showed the board a picture that indicated he couldnt fill all positionon thefiled with the cattle he had to hand. He has started shopping... but only started. He also indicated ( by some reports )he had misgivings about some players being bookmarked for particular positions/roles. And he is changing that.

This for all intents and purposes is a year of real investigation. Preseasons are full of hype and fluff and only when real competition starts does the wheat separate from the chaff. As the season progresses I would expect Neeld and his Assistants tofurther refine the list and identify the glaring holes, whilst also possibly unearthing a few positives.

At seasons end he will have real first hand and relevent info upon which to cull and remodel the playing list.

Stevens alludes the process is tanking. He does this because he is lazy in his writing and flawed of argument.

We will win some games this year, but i cant see that number going far beyond the fingers of one hand now.

Another year of pain....how novel.

• Like 2

We should change our mascot from a Demon to Sisyphus.

I am hanging out for a return to the Fuchsias

Might write to CS about that.

Fushsias fits better with our style of play and our jumper colours over the last few years

Nothing wrong with the colours now.

I love our Colours Now, rich darker & more serious tones.

I hope they tinker with the words, keep the tune, but maybe work the words a little bit, to reflect both of the original loyalty, but also about team & a sort of brotherhood.

We should change our mascot from a Demon to Sisyphus.

....but Sisyphus at least pushed to rock to the top of the hill, not just a third of the way up!
  • Like 2

Yes OD you and i, and the older members on here have seen this scenario so often. Like re runs of Gilligan's Island. I am not sure i can do them again!!

C'mon, don't knock Gilligan, Plleeease. Always wanted to know, whatever did happen, between the Professor & MaryAnne? -_-

Hey old55 your avatar just reminded me, are we still at base camp? I think our sherpa died before we even left.

Quite a few of the expedition leaders fell in a crevasse on the Khumbu glacier - we're back at base camp again with new leaders, yes.

• Like 1

Quite a few of the expedition leaders fell in a crevasse on the Khumbu glacier - we're back at base camp again with new leaders, yes.

Are you sure old55 looks more like the airport carpark to me