Its the skills stupid!

darkhorse72

A light article that points out the obvious..

our skills are crap during general play.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-can-solve-ball-use-problems-neeld-20120416-1x3sb.html

Though I think its been one of the first article in a few years that has specifically address that problem of our game. No matter how good everything else is, if you can't hit target, you get demoralised, other side looks good and it all goes to pot..hence our first few games and all recent seasons. Fitness does play a part in this, but everything we do at the club should be about improving skills first in line with fitness.

This is the sort of thinking I never saw from Dean Bailey, and it gives me a lot of confidence that Mark Neeld knows how to turn things around at the Dees. The other thing I think should be looked at is goal-kicking accuracy. You can be getting thumped all around the ground, but if you're converting your shots on goal, you can remain in the game for a long time.

Edited by Chook

I asked DB directly once about not hitting targets and his response was if they are not fit enough they miss targets. I personally didn't buy it then and don't now. It's such a basic skill I don't know ho w you get to elite level without being able to do it.

I asked DB directly once about not hitting targets and his response was if they are not fit enough they miss targets. I personally didn't buy it then and don't now. It's such a basic skill I don't know how you get to elite level without being able to do it.

So I say there are other issues involved. Our kids had the same level of skill as any other- lets say at under 18. Transfering to this elite level, requires additional qualities to utilize the skills they do have. For example, I never believed Danial Ward was much of a player in his early years but the game gradually changed and eventually his running skill and hence he became a valuable contributer. My brother and I saw Tappy in an under Age game and weere really impressed. As promising as his start has been his natural skills have not yet blossomed to the point I believe they will. Other factors are inhibiting some of his skill. Yes if you are not fit enough and are always under pressure your kicking will not reach its full potential. The skill of the coach is to develop all aspects of a players game to bring out the innate skill. I will not buy that our players are not skilled. We are still a work in progress as in fact our coaching panel is.I'm not to fussed about our win loss record at the moment. What does disturb me is whether I can see signs of a players development and signs that the coaching panel have a grasp of such development.

• Like 2

and decision making which is affected by a lack of confidence. Also a lack of viable options due to not enough spread and a failure to demand and command the footy with intent, also affected by a lack of confidence. Lack of intent makes us easier to cover and be pressured and it just flows on.

I don't completely buy the lack of skills argument, it is a combination of factors, but most of the problems begin inside the head. Our skills would look a whole lot better if there were viable targets available, this is the issue and has been for a while.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

Obviously we would win many more games if we had enough players with great awareness, kicking ability and decision making.

But we don't.

We have too many players on our list who are below AFL standard for those three attributes. As soon as we cut some off and bring in some guys who can

cause some havoc with their disposal, we will start climbing the ladder.

It's so sad, but we need half the list overhauled. Again.

I asked DB directly once about not hitting targets and his response was if they are not fit enough they miss targets. I personally didn't buy it then and don't now. It's such a basic skill I don't know ho w you get to elite level without being able to do it.

I have always found kicking got harder as I got more tired - and I got tired after one sprint. I don't know how that translates to the elite level, but the reasoning is at least plausible even if it's not the full story.

• Like 1

I don't agree with an overhaul of half the list. That's ~20 or so players. We will need to address /trade at the end of the year, but no where near the numbers spruiked recently. Those that have little appetite for physical contests or those that struggle to make an influence and their decision making will be under threat. Half a dozen players will be under the microscope.

I see attitude, coming to terms with strategy, leadership and of course execution as aspects that can be addressed in the short-medium term by those in charge. However, the midfield or engine room is too important to be ignored. The club is in dire need of quality in the guts if it has any desire to be thereabouts for a shot at a flag in the future. There is too much evidence from other AFL clubs With good engine rooms that support this.

• Like 2

I don't agree with an overhaul of half the list. That's ~20 or so players. We will need to address /trade at the end of the year, but no where near the numbers spruiked recently. Those that have little appetite for physical contests or those that struggle to make an influence and their decision making will be under threat. Half a dozen players will be under the microscope.

I see attitude, coming to terms with strategy, leadership and of course execution as aspects that can be addressed in the short-medium term by those in charge. However, the midfield or engine room is too important to be ignored. The club is dire need of quality in the guts if it has any desire to be thereabouts for a shot at a flag in the future. There is too much evidence from other AFL clubs With good engine rooms that support this.

I agree HT, no babies in bathwater here.

Just a few who could, but won't.

Clear out the shortsteppers and watch as we grow proud.

I have never played elite level but playing at equivalent level competiion and from observation lack of fitness does impact dramatically on performance.

I play squash and when not fit it is noticeable how you dont get to the ball, are off balance, and generally game skills deteriorate markedly. When competitor is even a 5% reduction in fitness can affect score dramatically.

I hadnt really considered it a major weakness at MFC but it may be a bigger factor than realised. Maybe the effort asked by Neeld and Misson on the training track is taking some time to take effect. It does seem that the intensity and fitness of other clubs has increased and if we were marginally behind it may impact a lot.

AS I have aged I know that it takes longer to recover and it is easier to lose the level of fitness

Fitness is difficult to achieve and retain over a gruelling period (season) I imagine thats the purpose of the beep tests etc all players go through is to establish monitor and improve those levels

Recovery levels also are affected by fitness and ability to do the second and third effort repetition etc are all affected by fitness levels

It again is a reason I have been promoting the Squad versus a fixed or best 22 as all players will have different cycles of effort and recovery and levels of fitness. Matching the player capacity with what is required is why selection should not be automatic

Wow its a very interesting aspect which I again have assumed the club and its coaches are professionally managing and improving and I guess why I am still positive.

• Like 3