EnergyWatch Sponsorship Cancelled

Dr. Mubutu

Guest Thomo

Almost as painful as your bleak viewpoint that you keep ramming down everyone's throats..?

My bleak view E has been on the sponsorship, and you are right it is bleak, but it's correct, and if the club had someone doing something about this months ago when I first brought it up the club would not be in the hole that it is currently in.

Cam Schwab

When this great club was foundered back in 1858, we played with no jumper sponsors. The recent termination of our energy watch sponsorship allows us to embrace this tradition once again”

Embracing the modern AFL environment without sponsorship is not something i would be highlighting.

Front Foot Cameron, not a history lesson. This company just dumped on us big time.

Guest Thomo

Actually I think this was Ben Polis' plan the whole time. Paid overs for sponsorship and had no intention of following through with it. Blew it up creating more publicity without having to fork out any substaintial amount of money. It's worked out perfectly for him.

Apologies to Range Rover. I hope I'm not stealing your thunder!

I don't know if it was his plan, but a $2m per annum sponsorship from an organisation with $14m revenue never seemed tenable to me. Even if Energywatch reach their claimed $30m revenue forecast for this year, $2m to Melbourne, plus sponsorship of most other 'Melbourne" teams, as well as print, TV and online advertising, seems to be a huge spend in relation to revenue, and the financials do not seem to add up.

This company seemed to me like the new Firepower as soon as I heard them paying overs for the back of the jumper, and is one of the main reasons I have been harping on about the importance of a FOJ sponsor.

Dreaming. Schwab cannot get one on the front of the jumper, and you think he might have three lining up??? The last three major sponsors have landed in our lap in spite of the current administration, and for various reasons none of them are still here. I know some people try and be glass half full, but this is ridiculous

Then you have no idea about how sponsorship negotiations work. Just because big companies have big sponsorship budgets it doesn't mean they don't try and get value for money. I'm sure there is a list of willing participants/offers that CS has had to turn down because the offer was simply a lowball opportunistic bid. This current situation now opens the doors for re-negotiation. Far from ridiculous Thomo... :wacko:

Given that we were in the media spotlight, we had to act quickly on this one to be able to control the story.

We can now control the message from the story as 'we are a club of high integrity and this is unacceptable - we're too good for him so we dumped him', rather than sitting on our hands for a day and then having the media find a different angle as they speculated.

Indeed. I would like CS to start ramming home that message in the upcoming presser as well as how proud our club is with the club's good work we have done with our indigenous players and their communities in recent years.

Guest Thomo

Then you have no idea about how sponsorship negotiations work. Just because big companies have big sponsorship budgets it doesn't mean they don't try and get value for money. I'm sure there is a list of willing participants/offers that CS has had to turn down because the offer was simply a lowball opportunistic bid. This current situation now opens the doors for re-negotiation. Far from ridiculous Thomo... :wacko:

I can almost guarantee I have been involved with more sponsorship negotiations than you.

I can almost guarantee I have been involved with more sponsorship negotiations than you.

Keyboard hero....

If you were that experienced then you certainly wouldn't disagree with the rest of my post.

BTW can you elaborate on your almost guarantee comment?

I think the Victory and any other establishment that is sponsored by Energy Watch might as well cut ties now.

I can't see Energy Watch surviving this, and rightly so.

Bye, Ben - you flogger.

No one could see this coming, not even CS. However, for the past 2 months now, he's has been continually saying that we will take our time looking for the 2nd sponsor because of our deal with EW. Effectively, Cam has not been working as hard as he could have to secure the 2nd one, because he has relied and used EW to fall back on.

Now we have no major sponsors, through no fault of CS of course, but because of his laid back approach, we are well back in trying to land 1 sponsor, let alone 2. I recently posted saying that CS will no doubt soon come out with a new special guernsey to take the heat off us not having a second sponsor. I had no idea that it would be to announce no sponsors and a guernsey that is blank.

If he comes out and starts talking about how having nothing on the guernsey is traditional etc, then he has lost it. The longer we now go with nothing in terms of major sponsors, the more amateurish the club will look. Not because of what has come out today, but because we have been down this path before, only 3 years ago. CS used EW as a scapegoat to explain/reason why we don't have and don't need to be in a hurry to find a 2nd one. It just highlights the negatives of CS, which atm are far outweighing the positives of having him on as CEO.

Cam won't be around come the end of the year.

Guest Thomo

Thomo, we get it. You're not happy. Some of us are trying to help, you're just carrying like the drunk uncle at Christmas.

Have you been one of the people trying to shout me down for the last few months when I've been on about needing to sort out the FOJ sponsor? How's that working out for you now?

Indeed. I would like CS to start ramming home that message in the upcoming presser as well as how proud our club is with the club's good work we have done with our indigenous players and their communities in recent years.

Unfortunately it's the media that calls the tune and based on what I heard of the presser (before SEN cut it short to go back to ads and a comedian FFS!) the line of questioning was immediately into the club not doing due diligence. The press are absolutely uninterested in good work or good stories and did they really need to ask about us taking the moral high ground? They simply don't care, they are blood thirsty, dribbling and as we've seen with Ruperts mob they can even be creative!

Edited by diesel

Have you been one of the people trying to shout me down for the last few months when I've been on about needing to sort out the FOJ sponsor?

No.

In fact, I was very skeptical of the "that company" deal and said so on here.

My point is, what's done is done, we need to look forward.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 1

Unfortunately its the media that calls the tune and based on what I heard of the presser (before SEN cut it short to go back to ads and a comedian FFS!) the line of questioning as immediately into the club not doing due diligence. The press are absolutely uninterested in good work or good stories. They are blood thirsty, dribbling and as we've seen with Ruperts mob they can even be creative!

As I have said since this all came to be this morning, the due diligence question is absolutely the relevant question of the MFC.

EW and its CEO will have to account for their own behaviour, and that it their problem.

We have to explain how we didn't know that this "too good to be true" deal was just that.

Blaming the media for this is the last refuge for the weak.

Thomo, we get it. You're not happy. Some of us are trying to help, you're just carrying like the drunk uncle at Christmas.

Hey I'm the drunk uncle at Christmas. Have I been delisted.????

melbournefc Players have taken it into their own hands to remove EW logos from their polos

melbournefc "It's times like these where the integrity of your values stand firm"

MFC_Pos_CMYK_Master200px_normal.jpg

Says we will confront financial challenges that are facing the club, but won't compromise our integrity

MFC_Pos_CMYK_Master200px_normal.jpg

Cameron Schwab currently speaking to the media with board member John Trotter. Says boards decision didn't take much consideration.
Edited by Face Your Demons

EW have appointed a new CEO and are attempting to distance themselves from Ben Polis

More spin as he is the owner and main shareholder. Will be interesting to see if the media et al fall for this strategy

And they have now removed a rather large bill from their books...intentional?

Does anyone know when these FB posts were made?

Demons pull Energy Watch sponsorship

Posted by: 3AW Radio | 5 April, 2012 - 7:30 AM

UPDATE: Ben Polis has stepped down as the CEO of Energywatch due to the series of racist and sexist remarks on his Facebook page.

The Chief Financial Officer and Co-founder of Energy Watch, Mr Luke Zombor, will take over the CEO role.

Edited by Face Your Demons

I wonder if the mfc could approach the federal government in collaboration with the reach foundation to seek a further payment as sponsorhip & form of cross promotion for reach & the government scholarships they recently announced? Apologies if someone has already suggested this.

• Like 1

As I have said since this all came to be this morning, the due diligence question is absolutely the relevant question of the MFC.

EW and its CEO will have to account for their own behaviour, and that it their problem.

We have to explain how we didn't know that this "too good to be true" deal was just that.

Blaming the media for this is the last refuge for the weak.

No one is blaming the media. Do you think Energy Watch, the company themselves saw this coming and they could go under because of it! Only fault I can see ATM is that the MFC didn't check Polis' Facebook, so who knows what he was posting on there back when we inked the deal? We'll find out soon enough.

• Like 2