• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

I've had enough of Malthouse

Malthouse turns up heat on Watts

Seriously Mick malthouse needs to shut his trap. I don't want this to turn into another Jack Watts thread because there is enough of them already here but I get sick of listening to old coaches or players who are new to the media saying something for the sake of justifying themselves in the media. For a bloke who would belittle other journalists at media conference's Mick is pretty quick to shoot off at someone over a pre season effort. He has already been pulled up once because of his Ted Whitten comments and now he keeps going with Watts. I fear that footy is becoming over populated with media opinions and these opinions are becoming more ridiculous just so they can be heard. SHUT UP MICK!

what is the point of pointing out he wouldn't have picked watts at number 1? It achieves nothing in the form of a discussion what is done is done. It is very easy for him to point out how good Cloke is now by saying as a 20 year old Cloke was a gun. Really Mick? I don't think so.

Interesting to point out the comparison between Watts and Jared Brennan. Brennan was a no.3 pick in 2002, and was immediately toted as the next big thing. Similar height and build to Watts. Yet Brennan is still developing at 27 years old, at his second club and doesn't get the criticisms that Watts gets from the media.

To be honest, I thought it was interesting listening to Malthouse. I think he's right, his comments could benefit JW. And I agree, he needs to attack it WAY harder. He's played some nice games, but the potential is huge. I think he should listen and make it benefit him.

• Like 3

Don't worry about Malthouse, we have the boy to fix Watts up, Leigh Brown will do the job.And Neeld will make sure of that.

• Like 2

To be honest, I thought it was interesting listening to Malthouse. I think he's right, his comments could benefit JW. And I agree, he needs to attack it WAY harder. He's played some nice games, but the potential is huge. I think he should listen and make it benefit him.

I agree...you can take these comments in the positive or the negative...Malthouse is now paid to say what he sees..in all 18 clubs, whereas before it has only been one.

If i was a footballer and Mick Malthouse spoke of me, i would listen...may not like what i hear, but i would take notice of it

• Like 1

I didn't see anything wrong with it either, it wasn't personal, he expressed an opinion and was fairly measured.

Do we need a new thread?

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

When he spoke of Cloke, he mentions that he had to be taught to jump for the footy (more effort) at AFL level. Jack is being taught at the moment too and he's going to be a lot more versatile and important than Cloke ever will be at Collingwood and GWS.

I hope that in the informal chats Neeld has with Malthouse he might ask Mick to tone it down a little. At the moment it's just feeding a media frenzy that could have an adverse effect on Jack. Then again it could be the catalyst for Jack to take the next big step.

Either way, I feel Mark Neeld should get Malthouse to pump the brakes a little on this subject.

• Like 1

There are other Watts threads on here so I'll stick with my problem with certain people in the footy media. So Mick's comments that Watts wouldn't have been his number 1 pick are meant to help JW or are they meant to help Mick Malthouse in his pursuit to become [censored] head of the year? The only person who benefits from those comments are Mick Malthouse. Not only does Watts take all the heat but his old mate you know who gets brought up by David King on the insider for not doing anything and the subject is moved on by Alistair Lynch because he is involved in the company that manages that little twerp. This is the crap we as consumers have to put up with in the media. One subject is brought up all the time whilst another gets the hush hush.

I think everyone should watch Jack's highlight video from Round 13 vs. Freo (in my opinion his best game for the club - or at least very close to)

(sorry don't know how to embed youtube)

The reality is, we see Jack's strengths on display - he's a play maker, he's evasive, he's great at ground level and in traffic, and exceptionally agile for a guy his size

His attack on the footy is good and will improve - but to expect Watts to hit packs like Jon Brown is fanciful, particularly at this stage in his career (given his frame)

• Like 4

There are other Watts threads on here so I'll stick with my problem with certain people in the footy media. So Mick's comments that Watts wouldn't have been his number 1 pick are meant to help JW or are they meant to help Mick Malthouse in his pursuit to become [censored] head of the year? The only person who benefits from those comments are Mick Malthouse. Not only does Watts take all the heat but his old mate you know who gets brought up by David King on the insider for not doing anything and the subject is moved on by Alistair Lynch because he is involved in the company that manages that little twerp. This is the crap we as consumers have to put up with in the media. One subject is brought up all the time whilst another gets the hush hush.

Actions are the only way to curb the Media...We all know that...AFL Journalism know runs 12 months of the year now..

They have to feed.

Viney12, You can still have an influence and make contests, it doesn't have to be J.Brown like. What people are saying is they would prefer to see him have an impact or have urgency to get involved and impart some physicality instead of sitting out when it suits.

That in part is what Mick is saying, and it won't be the last player he has an opinion on in special comments in 2012.

As for Jack, he'll take it in board. I have no doubt Neeld will be expressing some of these thoughts to Jack one on one for the betterment of his development.

• Like 1

Actions are the only way to curb the Media...We all know that...AFL Journalism know runs 12 months of the year now..

They have to feed.

I know its all year round now but how about some fairness across the board. As I have said you know who gets away with doing bugger all and there isn't a whimper (Keep trying David King don't give up). Most of the media have affiliations with either players or clubs so subjects are either blown up out of proportion or swept under the rug. The need for certain media outlets to get heard is becoming a bit like a Reality T.V contest: Whoever can do/say the dumbest things wins.

I have very high hopes for Watts, but the reality is that he clearly has an issue with his attack on the contest. This isn't something that is new and has just become apparent in the last couple of weeks. It has been an issue his whole, short, career.

There is no need for Melbourne supporters to get so defensive everytime someone criticises Watts. He was a number 1 pick and people expect a lot of him.

The sad reality is that Malthouse is 100% correct. Jack is way too timid. That has nothing to do with his body development or him still learning the game. You don't need to be huge to attack the ball or jump into a pack. Look at current Melbourne players such as Garland and Rivers, or even a past player like Ferguson. They are/were not big, but they always put their body on the line.

Watts needs to get a bit aggro and start crashing packs.

Anyone stop and think that it may be from Neeld where these Malthouse comments are coming from? As much as I love Jacky boy, they are bloody spot on. Just look at the way Hurley imposes himself in a game. But could you imagine the backlash through media outlets if Neeld said the truth about where Jack is at? He said one line about him early in the preseason and tha tline keeps getting dragged up.

Malthouse has ensured the football world will focus on how Jack reacts out on the field. This could be an absolute masterstroke from Neeld.

• Like 1

I know its all year round now but how about some fairness across the board. As I have said you know who gets away with doing bugger all and there isn't a whimper (Keep trying David King don't give up). Most of the media have affiliations with either players or clubs so subjects are either blown up out of proportion or swept under the rug. The need for certain media outlets to get heard is becoming a bit like a Reality T.V contest: Whoever can do/say the dumbest things wins.

Not disagreeing Mate, ever since SEN started the Media has ramped up..Yes the Chat Show Player Manager is a pain but i think it is only going to get worse as they become more "famous"

Don't worry about $cully...if he keeps playing like a Barbie Doll he will get heaps....Wait for the 4 point Games

Nothing wrong with what MM said in that interview. Infact I agree with just about everything he has said about Jack. It's up to Jack to step it up and prove them wrong. By the way when Malthouse, Lethal & Carey all share a similar opinion you should probably take it on board.

I have very high hopes for Watts, but the reality is that he clearly has an issue with his attack on the contest. This isn't something that is new and has just become apparent in the last couple of weeks. It has been an issue his whole, short, career.

And here is one thing that I dislike on these forums... Watts gets a lot of support here because of his age and development (takes more time for talls and KPFs etc etc), yet someone like Bennell (who is just 9months older than Watts, by the way) gets kicked from pillar to post for being soft and not hard enough at the contest.. and to my mind, they are both showing equal amounts of potential and promise.

Edited by hardtack

Nothing wrong with what MM said in that interview. Infact I agree with just about everything he has said about Jack. It's up to Jack to step it up and prove them wrong. By the way when Malthouse, Lethal & Carey all share a similar opinion you should probably take it on board.

So why isn't there massive hysteria about Carlton's pre season? It hasn't gone that well but it has been taken that it is just pre season form. I'm not saying that the comments about watts are totally incorrect I'm trying to point out that the hysteria behind it is.

So why isn't there massive hysteria about Carlton's pre season? It hasn't gone that well but it has been taken that it is just pre season form. I'm not saying that the comments about watts are totally incorrect I'm trying to point out that the hysteria behind it is.

Because realistically, it's these games that a young, potential star should shine, or at least, show a number of glimpses. Just look at a lot of the Geelong kids, O'Meara and Swallow, etc. When you are playing against sides that are without a number of key players, it is a great opportunity to get some confidence.

Don't get me wrong, while the preseason to date hasn't seen some of Jack's best work, I'm far from pressing the panic button.

Not disagreeing Mate, ever since SEN started the Media has ramped up..Yes the Chat Show Player Manager is a pain but i think it is only going to get worse as they become more "famous"

Don't worry about $cully...if he keeps playing like a Barbie Doll he will get heaps....Wait for the 4 point Games

I am waiting for the 4 point games to begin and if JW was showing this form in round 10 I could understand the amount of the criticism coming his way. That's my problem at the moment it isn't the criticism apart from some things Malthouse has said but its the amount of criticism coming so early in a bloody pre season.