Baker Giles Pinnell

Elliot Hardeman OBrien

Gordon Nettlefold Flower ©

Byrne Smith Healy

Crosswell Jackson Elshaugh

Keenan Fowler ODonnell

IC :Clayton Catoggio Walters Moir Seddon Hutchison Dittrerich

Coach :Ron Barassi.

A team to entertain Veteran Dee supporters here. Baker had Vice Hands, Peter Giles was a rugged Defender similar to Rivers but tougher. Pinnell was a star at Carlton. Elliot, Crosswell and Hardeman all Pedigree. Gordon and Flower two of the best wingers in the game and Nettlfold was tough. Byrne was tall and rangey and went on to be a star at Hawthorn. Gerard Healy could kick a goal, Steve Smith always underated CHF, great mark and kick-victim of a Mathews elbow allegedly.(I was there) Crosswell is what Finals are made of with Mark Jackson kicked 76 goals(was probably a mistake) then Tony Elshaugh Victorian rover. Crackers was Crackers, Laurie Fowler was tough as nails, could kick goals and play any defensive role. Kelly Odonnell was good but a softie.

The bench didn't lack talent with Cameron Clayton Vinny Catoggio Ex Blues star State rover Robbie Walters could make a lead and kick a goal (something Dees lack right now)Obrien did his knee and looked like being the next Gary Ablett.

What went wrong?

This team coached by the Great one won ONE game all season. How does it compare with the Dees of 2012 skippered by Trengove and Grimes and Coached M. Neeld?

Edited by thaipantsman

Hardeman was past it.

Steven Smith (totally disagree) very overrated used to walk around the Forward line like superman and did nothing.

He should have stayed in the little league where he belonged.

All the others from other clubs were has beens or maybe never was

Hardeman was past it.

Steven Smith (totally disagree) very overrated used to walk around the Forward line like superman and did nothing.

He should have stayed in the little league where he belonged.

All the others from other clubs were has beens or maybe never was

Yes i tend to agree on Steven Smith. People spoke of him in hushed tones as a master talent often when i was much younger. Never saw it myself.

Guest melbman

Wasn't Vinny Catoggio a failure at the Dees? He was big news at the Blues but hung around the outside of packs at the Dees looking for cheapies from memory. Am I wrong? twas a long time ago

Wasn't Vinny Catoggio a failure at the Dees? He was big news at the Blues but hung around the outside of packs at the Dees looking for cheapies from memory. Am I wrong? twas a long time ago

You're correct ,Melb man.

I reckon the posters above are rough on Steven Smith. I thought he was a very reliable spoiler on the talls in the back line. He was mobile enough to play on Matthews and frustrate him enough to smash his face in to shake him off.( very similar to Ablett sen. on Gary Lyon.)

Baker Giles Pinnell

Elliot Crosswell Hardeman

Byrne Smith Healy

Keenan Fowler ODonnell

IC :Clayton Catoggio Walters Moir Seddon Hutchison OBrien Dittrerich

A team to entertain Veteran Dee supporters here. Baker had Vice Hands, Peter Giles was a rugged Defender similar to Rivers but tougher. Pinnell was a star at Carlton. Elliot, Crosswell and Hardeman all Pedigree. Gordon and Flower two of the best wingers in the game and Nettlfold was tough. Byrne was tall and rangey and went on to be a star at Hawthorn. Gerard Healy could kick a goal, Steve Smith always underated CHF, great mark and kick-victim of a Mathews elbow allegedly.(I was there) Crosswell is what Finals are made of with Mark Jackson kicked 76 goals(was probably a mistake) then Tony Elshaugh Victorian rover. Crackers was Crackers, Laurie Fowler was tough as nails, could kick goals and play any defensive role. Kelly Odonnell was good but a softie.

The bench didn't lack talent with Cameron Clayton Vinny Catoggio Ex Blues star State rover Robbie Walters could make a lead and kick a goal (something Dees lack right now)Obrien did his knee and looked like being the next Gary Ablett.

What went wrong?

This team coached by the Great one won ONE game all season. How does it compare with the Dees of 2012 skippered by Trengove and Grimes and Coached M. Neeld?

It was alist of players but it wasn't a team........ they didn't have an 'empathy', (I think the word might be), for one another, like the 1985 teams and after..... The young ones coming through played together 'like a band of brothers'...

IMO the club had lost its direction thru the late '60's & beyond. Ending in a basket case by the start of the '80's...

It took a lot of hard work to Unravel that hardened cane weave basket that had formed into a useless receptical.

Enter Barassi & Jordan,,, & Scwab jnr... not to mention others... Barassi had his hands full with the culture of the club, whilst Jordan was doing the sorting & teaching of the kids... monumental task...

Will someone look up Schwabs recruits he brought in & when (the years)??? We'll see they're effects on the club, on top of the effects of the U-19's coming through the Barassi/Jordan pathway... Lyon, Healey, Tingay, Bailey, ODwyer, Stynes, Wight, Febey's, *Yeates, etc, etc...

see Scwabs recruits > Viney, Dean, Spalding, AJohnston, Stretch, Hughes?, etc...

Edited by dee-luded

Good thread and I remember well most of the players. I immediatley think of the Crpws 97/98 teams. They were no full of A-graders they simply had an amazing team ethic. Even the outside players like McLeod (what a rolls royce this bloke was) ran hard off the ball to help the team set up in both defence, attack, and through the middle.

The Dees team listed above never seemed to gel. They just turned up to play footy, had a beer and went home until Tuesday when Barrassi would rant and rave at them again.

Also, the club beneath the team were totally resistant of the professional era that was upon them. They wanted Barassi to shape a 1950's team, when Barassi huimslef was trying to lead them in a different mindset.

Baker Giles Pinnell

Elliot Crosswell Hardeman

Byrne Smith Healy

Keenan Fowler ODonnell

IC :Clayton Catoggio Walters Moir Seddon Hutchison OBrien Dittrerich

What went wrong?

I remember those days and quite a bit before, too. But I can't recall anyone called O'Brien. Can you please remind me - what was his first name and his jumper number? And did he play many games?

I remember those days and quite a bit before, too. But I can't recall anyone called O'Brien. Can you please remind me - what was his first name and his jumper number? And did he play many games?

O'b...

Paul O'brien, great fella. Brother of the stall Gift winner.

http://www.melbourne...io/default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia....ul_J._O%27Brien

http://www.ebay.com....9-/200529009428

http://demonwiki.org/Paul+OBrien

Paul was starting to mature & play very good football. One game he was tagging Bartlett. A free paid against him, and he jumped & twisted out of frustration @ the Ump, hurting his knee. I think it was minutes later he went down with an ACL...

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

You've listed Croswell twice. This exercise only highlights that footy isn't played on a piece of paper. Most of them had lost the fire in the belly, or never had it.

Was there a softer, or more disappointing 200 game player than Steve Smith ?

Good thread and I remember well most of the players. I immediatley think of the Crpws 97/98 teams. They were no full of A-graders they simply had an amazing team ethic. Even the outside players like McLeod (what a rolls royce this bloke was) ran hard off the ball to help the team set up in both defence, attack, and through the middle.

The Dees team listed above never seemed to gel. They just turned up to play footy, had a beer and went home until Tuesday when Barrassi would rant and rave at them again.

Also, the club beneath the team were totally resistant of the professional era that was upon them. They wanted Barassi to shape a 1950's team, when Barassi huimslef was trying to lead them in a different mindset.

Interesting! Your perception about just turning up to play then having a few beers....Perhaps was more than that? My thoughts are while Barassi was the greatest coach going around maybe he was way to friendly with some of the stars in that team. Sure he would rant and rave as you say but he wouldn't say the hard things, i.e., Malthouse comments about J. Watts.

Obrien had his career cut short with a knee injury similar to N Daniher.

You've listed Croswell twice. This exercise only highlights that footy isn't played on a piece of paper. Most of them had lost the fire in the belly, or never had it.

Crosswell was everywhere! :) OK replace him with with anyone on the IC. Perhaps the Forward Pocket version with Robbie Walters? I don't agree with the Steven Smith comments. If Smith played for Collingwood in his Prime he would have been a Gun. He lost a lot of Confidence at the time all his Hair fell out(he had a health issue) and Mathews allegedly knocking him out was a big set back. Smith also played very well as a defender. He was offered big dollars by Carlton and remained faithful. Didn't find him disappointing at all.

O'b...

Paul O'brien, great fella. Brother of the stall Gift winner.

http://www.melbourne...io/default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia....ul_J._O%27Brien

http://www.ebay.com....9-/200529009428

http://demonwiki.org/Paul+OBrien

Paul was starting to mature & play very good football. One game he was tagging Bartlett. A free paid against him, and he jumped & twisted out of frustration @ the Ump, hurting his knee. I think it was minutes later he went down with an ACL...

Good memory! I recall he came back but never was the same. Was going to be as good as Flower or Tingay.

It was alist of players but it wasn't a team........ they didn't have an 'empathy', (I think the word might be), for one another, like the 1985 teams and after..... The young ones coming through played together 'like a band of brothers'...

IMO the club had lost its direction thru the late '60's & beyond. Ending in a basket case by the start of the '80's...

It took a lot of hard work to Unravel that hardened cane weave basket that had formed into a useless receptical.

Enter Barassi & Jordan,,, & Scwab jnr... not to mention others... Barassi had his hands full with the culture of the club, whilst Jordan was doing the sorting & teaching of the kids... monumental task...

Will someone look up Schwabs recruits he brought in & when (the years)??? We'll see they're effects on the club, on top of the effects of the U-19's coming through the Barassi/Jordan pathway... Lyon, Healey, Tingay, Bailey, ODwyer, Stynes, Wight, Febey's, *Yeates, etc, etc...

see Scwabs recruits > Viney, Dean, Spalding, AJohnston, Stretch, Hughes?, etc...

Loved all those guys! Warren Dean beautiful kick! Got injured. Without looking it up would S Tingay be in that list?

Some of those names

Michael Byrne - ugghhh.

Ordinary for us and more than useful after he left for Hawthorn.

Giles and Baker - may the fleas of a thousand camels infest those beards.

Cameron Clayton - went from Richmond to us and then became an inforcer at Essendon.

Andy Moir - kid prodigy at 16 who could really take a grab. And he could also bauk, shimmy, blind turn and side step - especially when there was no one within 50 metres of him (including the football)

hehe! Nice one. each to there own opinion. I thought comparatively speaking Baker was better than Jamar. He would mark everything. Bout the same in the mobility stakes. My point is born out though. How bout Byrne and Clayton. Why couldn't they do it for the Dees? Peter Giles was tough! Better than Rivers today. You're not thinking of his bro Glen are you?? Moir...Very hard?? Now I know how Wattsy feels. What will be said about him in 20 years?

Good memory! I recall he came back but never was the same. Was going to be as good as Flower or Tingay.

Hmmn. Very much like Chris Connolly's situation. Both top young players cut down with ACL's at a time when the surgery was still agricultural.

Both Big losses for the Dees & for Barass...

The boys were both top class boys.

What ?? I remember O'Brien well and he was a good little back pocket, but he was never going to get in the same stratosphere as Flower.

OB was a player who could play any small role, Wing, Flank, Pocket, Tagger... He was just learning & had huge upside.

Loved all those guys! Warren Dean beautiful kick! Got injured. Without looking it up would S Tingay be in that list?

Well, I was referring to the interstate imports mostly, (readymade senior players) but also inc' some kids thru the U-19's... Inc' Stinga, GLovett, The Febeys, many many more.