Jack Trengove For Captain

Range Rover

Please don't lump the captaincy of Junior in with Green - one was for more suited to the role than the other.

Ling got the captaincy because he was the best leader they had and he became a flag-winning captain.

Every captaincy should be considered 'short term' as it should be a year-to-year concept, as it is with Maxwell at Collingwood.

He has to win it every year and he doesn't want it any other way.

Just give it to best leader(s) over this pre-season.

Totally agree, and I, like you, are prepared for the fact that Green may just get it again. I don't think that will be a bad thing, but I'm sure if that was the decision, tehre will be angst among posters on here!

Totally agree, and I, like you, are prepared for the fact that Green may just get it again. I don't think that will be a bad thing, but I'm sure if that was the decision, tehre will be angst among posters on here!

There will be angst with me too.

But I won't disagree with the decision.

As I said when Green got the job - he was the best of adequate choices.

If he still is, he still is.

But it definitely is to the detriment of our on-field chances.

There will be angst with me too.

But I won't disagree with the decision.

As I said when Green got the job - he was the best of adequate choices.

If he still is, he still is.

But it definitely is to the detriment of our on-field chances.

Really? not sure how you can make that comment.

Really? not sure how you can make that comment.

You have to be kidding me. He was an awful leader last season and just because he is the best option of bad option doesn't mean our dearth of leaders doesn't reappear.

Green, Davey, Rivers, Sylvia, and the frontrunning Moloney - these are our defeatist leaders and coupled with their awful body language form a major reason we have such great problems with consistency and commitment.

Please don't lump the captaincy of Junior in with Green - one was for more suited to the role than the other.

??

Big call based on a handfull of poor performances by Green in 2011.

?? Big call based on a handfull of poor performances by Green in 2011.

It's never about performances in and of themselves.

It's about how you act as a member of a team, but not only that - as the leader of the team.

Green sulked, looked at his toes, complained to the umpire, changed completely when we were 10 goals up and when he was kicking goals, and him not performing is way down the list of the things I have an issue with.

Junior never did those things - we were up, we were down - he gave the same every week, every minute; with his demeanour and his attitude and his commitment and, oddly enough, with his performances.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

It's about how you act as a member of a team, but not only that - as the leader of the team.

we can only judge him on what we saw on the field i guess, but its only part of the picture

He will be captain but next year is too early. He will be one of the youngest captains in history so I guess history tells us that more mature leaders are the norm. But I would like to see him get it 2013, or 14.

Just to find a way to bridge the gap until then.

Do we leave it with Green and hope he will come good, or do we give it to Maloney and then break his heart in a season or two?

Tough decisions are these. Glad they're not mine to make.

Do we leave it with Green and hope he will come good, or do we give it to Maloney and then break his heart in a season or two?

I'm one who doesn't believe the underlined is a good idea. It would cause more problems than it solves by ripping the captaincy off a guy whose doing a pretty good job. So for me it's either give it to Moloney now with confidence and a view that he'll be a three or more year captain, or give it to Trengove and let him grow into the role. I'm for the latter as I think Trengove has more potential as a long term captain than Moloney. He's already a better communicator.

Green should not be considered. It's not his thing and he's got a job ahead of him simply to retain a spot in the side (IMO).

Edited by Range Rover

Ergh... I did a "MAloney" I feel dirty!

Yeah It will have to be Moloney's for more than a season. We can't rip it off Green, then Moloney.. that's asking for trouble. And in the 3 or 4 years that Moloney has it, if that is how it works out, a new leader might emerge.

I have my eyes on Watts, Jones, McKenzie and a couple of others. Present leadership gap aside, how exciting are the prospects of our future leaders!

Obviously a lot will depend on what Neeld has in mind from what he sees on and off the training track

He says he has a Malthouse / Blight style so that is like comparing a black knight and white bishop on a chess board

I am not sure if Neeld is as conservative as he appears

If the MFC which IMO do tend to be conservative then Moloney will be Captain

Moloney IMO would thrive in the position

Green as well liked as he is suffered under the captaincy

Captaincy is not something anyone can do and teaching it to someone who is not a natural leader is what happened to Green last year

Grimes i had ahead of Trengove but his ability to stay on the park is a major concern and why Trengove would be the wiser choice if we went for the fresh start approach

Both Grimes and Trengove were both state captains before being drafted

Ideally the captain should be a midfielder or at least play within the centre of the ground which leaves someone like Frawley at a disadvantage

Willing to bet Jamar will be part of the leadership group

Davey i have never thought of as being a captain and it will be interesting how he responds to Neelds coaching

What i am looking forward to most is what Neelds best 22 is going to be (apart from Sylvia who will miss round 1)

The captaincy and leadership group will take care of itself in time

• 4 weeks later...

Id now be very surprised if Trengove wasnt captian for 2012-

Grimes in the running but just hasnt got the runs on the board. JT has done everything right and more.. In many respects HE is who the football world expect to be the next annointed.

Still, will be interesting :)

• Like 1

Id now be very surprised if Trengove wasnt captian for 2012-

Grimes in the running but just hasnt got the runs on the board. JT has done everything right and more.. In many respects HE is who the football world expect to be the next annointed.

Still, will be interesting :)

Too young Too inexperienced. Lets let him grow as a footballer first. He could be great when he is 24 or 25 Don't rush it.

Out of all the candidates, I believe JT has the best chance of adapting to the responsibility of being a great leader and club Captain.

Yes he's young, but that just goes to prove how impressive the man is to be viewed in this light. I'm sick and tired of having people refer to him as a kid too.

Choo-choo!

• Like 2

Guest Gotzy15

LG- jones, moloney, grimes, green, rivers

Capt- trengove- to all those people suggesting that trenners is too young and inexperienced, where is the evidence of that?? He's been leading from the front on field since debut with his courage, workrate and ability. On top of that the way he handled the media attention and uproar with the suspension last year was just all class and maturity well beyond his years. The past is littered of examples of leaders in sport, business, politics and life in general who have started young and done a fantastic job in commanding respect from their older peers and proving that age is no barrier. Trenners will bring a real freshness to the group and is the perfect candidate right now for the job!

I'm 100% on the generation TRENGOVE bandwagon, not a fan of getting another captain for a year or two till he's apparently ready, I would of thought doing it now while he's young he can learn the role more and still have the luxury of still having the older heads of green jamar moloney and rivers for advice and there thoughts on things, he kid is already a leader of men plays hard courageous footy, brad green could take leaf outta he's book. Generation TRENGOVE 2012!!!!!

Will Trengove command respect, discipline and commitment from all the players at all times? Will he be able to demand Davey put his head on the line when its his turn to go? I guess you never know until the moment comes but its these things that raise a few doubts in my mind. Admittedly, these would be more important once we are genuine contenders but should be there from tge outset.

Otherwise he does seem to tick all the rights boxes. I particularly liked his words after re-signing with Melbourne shortly after the Kardinia Park Debacle

• Like 1

Will Trengove command respect, discipline and commitment from all the players at all times? Will he be able to demand Davey put his head on the line when its his turn to go? I guess you never know until the moment comes but its these things that raise a few doubts in my mind. Admittedly, these would be more important once we are genuine contenders but should be there from tge outset.

Otherwise he does seem to tick all the rights boxes. I particularly liked his words after re-signing with Melbourne shortly after the Kardinia Park Debacle

Good question - can you picture Trengove pulling Brad Green into line?

Telling Rivers or Jamar to pull his head in?

Quelling a player revolt?

He is a leader, and he shows promise, but he needs more time to mature.

I can barely do the same of Grimes, but I believe he is still better equipped.

Good question - can you picture Trengove pulling Brad Green into line?

Telling Rivers or Jamar to pull his head in?

Quelling a player revolt?

He is a leader, and he shows promise, but he needs more time to mature.

I can barely do the same of Grimes, but I believe he is still better equipped.

Yeah exactly, out the possible candidates, I think Moloney would be the one most likely to be able to do this the best on the field (possibly not in the most articulate fashion though!).

And lets face it, there would surely be some older players that would be a bit peeved by a young up-and-comer getting the gig ahead of some more experienced guys. This would happen everywhere in all groups and organisations. Trengove would have his work cut out for him prove himself, not only to the football world that he's a quality player and leader but to some of his own players as well (assuming he hasn't already which in 2 years I'm sure there are some who would have their doubts it only natural)

Edited by Ascobar