Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Watts given a kick up the ...

Satan

I shall say it again. Mark Neeld is challenging our club culture. Good. I am reading the article on newspaper right now. It's great. Don't stop now Mark.

He wants to build a september team. As he says "watch the Grand Final" are our players anywhere near that mental or physical intensity? Well they are going to be.

• Like 2

True, but I'm expecting the boys to be bigger, fitter and hungrier - their place in the side will demand it. I don't think we'll make the 8, but I highly doubt we'll get those monstrous belting's that we have suffered through these past 4 years.

I have read and reread the article.

It isn't a kick up the backside; it is an honest assessment of his capabilities and an encouragement, albeit stated publicly, that he actually believes in JW, and CM & AD for that matter, but also knows that it up to each individual to do the research and put in their own hard work, certainly abetted by the coaching and fitness experts, to achieve their true potential for the good of the club and for themselves.

The coaching and fitness staff don't get out there on match day: the players do. The staff can help them prepare, physically and tactically, but when the ball is in the air, on the ground, or in possession of friend or foe, the individual must make choices, make decisions, commit and sink or swim by their own actions.

It is a challenge to them, not a put down.

I'm sure that Watts did that commercial for the good of the club. It is such a shocker, that surely he could not have done it for his own profile! Bit harsh to get into him over something for the greater good of the club.

Neeld certainly seems to be no nonsense, but he is certainly playing the game on the media front and has his set messages. If I hear another things about taking from Blighty, taking from Malthouse and a bit of himself...no sheit. I just want a coach who IS everything he is sprouting. Time will tell. He seems to like the School Master/School Boy dynamic. Mr Neeld or Sir only down at the MFC.

I shall say it again. Mark Neeld is challenging our club culture. Good. I am reading the article on newspaper right now. It's great. Don't stop now Mark.

Ahhh, someone who gets it.

Our culture pretty obviously (for all you posters who think he is being harsh) has been SOFT, POOR, too accepting of failure and happy with mediocrity for WAY TOO LONG. Thank God for Neeld.

When you have a COach and Fitness guru that have come from teams that have played in multiple GF's and know how hard other players work comment on our poor training form why would you question it? As for 'humiliating' players what crud. He is stating the obvious. If they want to be elite players this is what they have to do. Simple. If they don't do it they wont play.

We have a PPoor record at turning good talent into elite players. How many elite players have we had in the past 10 years?? I mean Judd, Cousins, Buckley, Goodes, Hird elite. I'd argue none. Maybe Neitz but that's about it. Its not because they dont have talent. Its about culture and acceptance of OK is good enough.

I am rapt Neeld is putting the challenge on Morton and Davey. Two of the biggest disappointments I have seen. At least Davey has achieved in the past but his last year was woeful. They are players that have to become elite if we are to be successful.

• Like 5

All fine to change the way things are done... that is why you replace a coach but Neeld ultimately bears the responsibility of bringing his player group with him. Is a continuous string of statements in the press about individuals the best way...who knows.

can't comment on anything until 7-8 rounds into next season then we will be able to judge on if he's doing the right thing or not, if players spit the dummy well so be it, they will have to go. Let's just relax and give everyone some time and then see what really happens.

Maybe they didn't have to. Maybe Neeld does. Different clubs, different players, different cultures.

exactly this is the MFC here. The oldest club in the land. Who once was the absolute piniacle of excellence. We are a different beast. I think Norm Smith would approve of Neeld's tactics. Our old champions loved Norm, respected him. But they also feared him.

Once our players start showing results they will be given praise, i have no doubt.

Edited by why you little
  • Like 1

from which orifice did you pull that one?

i was talking from a general KPF sense, not saying that Watts had a problem with it, more-so, that he simply cannot fall into this category, seeing that he will be a major piece of our puzzle when we start to seriously challenge. He can go one of 2-ways IMO, the soft path or the ruthless and unforgiving path, Neeld is doing anything and everything he can to make him the latter (as quickly as possible).

Morton is well and truly down the former path, but Neeld is trying (in vain IMO) to drag him over to the other side.

Apologies for the confusion, it wasn't as clear as i intended it to be.

What makes you think that the content of these articles is some sort of 'player shame and humiliation' media exposé?

It's probably the Melbourne Football Club publicity machine at work, and all the information has been fed to the press with the player's knowledge or permission.

A very well-orchestrated article, at a no-footy-news time (so it will be eagerly gobbled up by both Melb dailies) aimed squarely at Dee supporters who are not members. The message is: "You know we've got the talent. Now We Mean Business!!" The club would have checked out with the players mentioned in the article first that it's OK to name them in such a way - these happen to be the three that non-member supporters would be looking for a lot from in 2012. Jack & Cale & Flash would be loving all this stuff and are probably the three most likely to respond to it.

All he's said to Jack is that you can play at your current level - a potentially elite player, perhaps - your whole career if that's what you want, but if you want to be elite, this is what it involves. Of course Jack wants to be elite - he wants to be Nick Riewoldt or better, not Jack Anthony! - and will do what it takes to get there. Nobody should have any doubt here that he's prepared to work for it. Not a kick at all - just "if this is what you want, this is what is required".

The subtext (for the players) is that from now on we're comparing ourselves to the top teams, not to the mid-tables (Essendon, Norf). It's no longer good enough to look like world-beaters against teams below us and get smashed by any team that applies a bit of pressure. Where we got smashed in 2011 was in contested ball (especially clearances) against top teams. But it won't happen unless we work for it, individually and collectively, at least as hard as the top teams do. There are no short cuts.

• Like 1

Neeld is marking his territory. There are two opposing ways for a new manager to approach a new group under his control. Neelds approach is too clearly establish the his methodology and his expectations from the gecko. There is to be no doubt about what is expected and demanded. The consequences of failure to comply are obvious. The opposing approach is to sit back and get the lay of the land, find out who is capable of what and then make your moves based on your observations. I have no problem with Neelds initial approach. It appears that the consensus within the Football community was that the MFC were soft and he obviously felt that a stand had to be made. Why Neeld has chosen to conduct this process through the media has probably been more for ours and the media's benefit. The supporters were well and truly at a low point at season close this year and yet by November there is an air of expectation and excitement around the place again. This excitement will have a knock on effect that will lift the entire club. The cost of this is that a few ego's have been deflated. The message however will reverberate throughout the entire group. With time I suspect that the one on one sessions will become more confidential, and in turn the club will become more protective of it's personnel. A little short term pain for some long term gain.

• Like 1

He is making bold statements to the media to sound tough. Apparently Paul Roos use to have really confronting chats with players behind close doors but we don't know what was said. He didnt go on radio and single blokes out. I just think that a little bit of support of his players in the media is the right path. That's what Brendan Mccarthy is adopting in relation to Brian Lake who was as disappointing as Davey last year. Actually their years were very similiar

Different problems need different approaches.

Mark Neeld is his own man - he's not Malthouse, Blight Roos or Ross Lyon - he is Mark Neeld.

The same goes for Jack Watts, Aaron Davey, LJ, Sylvia and so on.

I am sure he will praise them when it is justified.

Gimme a break.

For years we've been going on about the prima donnas, the the soft cxxks and when we finally get a head coach who is prepared to challenge them, you start saying, "he's too tough" and only "grandstanding" !

Do you want another 47 years without a premiership ?

I don't !

• Like 2

I really like Neeld's direct approach, and the way he is doing things his way. But naming certain players via a public forum is unwise, and I reckon out of all the players from 2011 who played at a consistently decent standard, 19 yo Jack Watts was one of them. I maybe in the minority here, but I feel like Neeld is grandstanding himself here. The emphasis of the article is not on Watts, Morton etc... It is on Neeld's uncompromising standards in regads to fitness, dedication etc... It is a poor effort to lower someone else's public persona in order to heighten your own. What he is saying about Watts and MOrton and Davey is probably true, but an interview with a journalist is not the place to discuss these matters and it will not make the three players respond to his message any better.

For mine, this is a poor effort from our new coach.

So, you want a new broom to come in and just gloss over a deplorable football culture, which has kept us in the wilderness for so long ?

If Jack Watts is the "real thing" - and I think he is - he'll take this public caning (Neeld is like that school teacher we all used to fear, until we learnt that what he did was make us work and think) for what it is...a push to grow up and reach his potential.

Same goes for the others.

I applaud the "public" dressing down!

I don't get it. I've read all these comments that he's being harsh, or bold, and singling out players isn't good.

This has been our problem for too long. Letting things just go by as they are. Not holding our players accountable. Being ok with mediocrity.

Now we get a guy that's willing to challenge our group of players and challenge them publicly. Football is as much about skills as it is a mental game. If our players can't take some criticism well, how the hell are they going to handle it when they are in the heat of the battle with 100K fans screaming at them in a GF?

The mentality of wrapping players in cotton wool has to stop. Watts' can handle it. He's a natural sportman/athlete that has a much higher potential than most. Neeld has identified this and is going about his business to give him every chance to live up to that potential.

The higher the "elite" standards we set for our players, the better it is for them and the club.

Exactly, 1000% correct!

Watts can handle it and I think we'll find so can most of the others.

If not, they can go back into their cotton wool and play in the VFL...

Different problems need different approaches.

Mark Neeld is his own man - he's not Malthouse, Blight Roos or Ross Lyon - he is Mark Neeld.

The same goes for Jack Watts, Aaron Davey, LJ, Sylvia and so on.

I am sure he will praise them when it is justified.

Gimme a break.

For years we've been going on about the prima donnas, the the soft cxxks and when we finally get a head coach who is prepared to challenge them, you start saying, "he's too tough" and only "grandstanding" !

Do you want another 47 years without a premiership ?

I don't !

Spot on

He has been appointed to do a job, specifically to guide, assist and cajole this group to achieve that which no group of MFC players have done since the days of Norm Smith

Frankly, I don't care how he does it as long as it works

I am sure he doesn't really care what we here think, but I would hope that any passionate loyal Demon fan would get right behind him in his quest.

Go Demons -- bring it on!!

I suppose we are all being put on notice. Obviously the players but the supporter base is being prepared for the road ahead and what to expect as well. Some favourite sons may "fall by the wayside" so we may as well get used to the possibility now. If you have a child who has his/her hero and wears their number or you just have your favourite players in general Neeld is simply saying if you don't see them out there then there's a simple reason why.

As long as he goes about this in a way where the players are more likely to respond positively and they aren't needlessly publically humiliated then I am quite at ease with this approach.

I think as time goes on and the players get used to the rigours and learn more about themselves it will sink in that what Neeld and co are ultimately doing is making them the best footballers they can be and shaping the way they think about AFL football - it's just going to take time I suppose for the whole squad to see it this way though.

Can't believe some of the negative posts here, can't also believe that the players don't accept and even endorse what Neeld is saying.

But .. the point I wanted to bring up is the one that Neeld himself mentioned in an earlier interview, regarding advice from Malthouse when he started at Collingwood that "the players can love you or hate you - make sure they love you". Look at the various comments from Collingwood players and supporters re Neeld's appointment, and even the responses to these interviews - they love him!

He's not trying to belittle anyone, or put anyone down. In his own words he's challenging them ... respectfully. But more importantly, he's also making sure that no stone is unturned in making sure that they have what they need in terms of support and preparation. He's doing his bit, and is just asking the players to do the same.

Finally, I feel that the players who he's named have been named deliberately, in the full knowledge that they'll do what's being asked of them. If he'd got stuck into Blease or Gysberts, who both seem to be a bit overwhelmed and underdone at the moment, it might be a different story.

• Like 1

I guess it also says to those on the fringes, that maybe weren't getting a game because they weren't one of the regulars, that this is no longer the case, if you perform you play. Perhaps a player like Bate or maybe Dunn will realise that he won't only get a game if there are injuries but he will be selected if his form warrants it.

I guess it also says to those on the fringes, that maybe weren't getting a game because they weren't one of the regulars, that this is no longer the case, if you perform you play. Perhaps a player like Bate or maybe Dunn will realise that he won't only get a game if there are injuries but he will be selected if his form warrants it.

I agree.

I also think Neeld's reference to Mitch Clark and his work ethic rubbing off on others was not only a part justification of the price tag but some insight into his coaching methodology. So it wasn't just about isolating players like Watts (as a 40 gamer) but about showing how he will make our players better.

Bing, you make a good point as well about the players Neeld has mentioned so far, surely he knows they have the right character to perform.

Having said that, I can't imagine Neeldy doing the xmas carol clips like Bailey did.

Edited by 1858

Oldest club in the World

Not quite, we're not even the oldest football club in the world. Sheffield United was founded in 1857.

And the reason the MFC was formed was to keep cricket players fit during the winter months, so one would naturally assume that there were cricket clubs around before us too.

Edited by Demon Disciple

Not quite, we're not even the oldest football club in the world. Sheffield United was founded in 1857.

And the reason the MFC was formed was to keep cricket players fit during the winter months, so one would naturally assume that there were cricket clubs around before us too.

Not according to wikipedia - Sheffield United (1889) and not Sheffield Wednesday either (1867)

Now cricket clubs, that was a different matter and preceded football clubs.

Sheffield United formed on 22 March 1889 at the Adelphi Hotel, Sheffield (now the site of the Crucible Theatre) by the President of the Cricket Club Sir Charles Clegg. Sheffield Wednesday had moved from Bramall Lane to their own ground at Olive Grove, and the tenants of Bramall Lane needed to create a new team to generate income. Sir Charles Clegg was incidentally also the president of Sheffield Wednesday FC.

The club was a cricket club when it formed in 1820 as The Wednesday Cricket Club (named after the day of the week when they played their matches). A meeting on the evening of Wednesday 4 September 1867 at the Adelphi Hotel established a footballing side (Sheffield Wednesday) to keep the team together and fit during the winter months. They played their first match against The Mechanics on 19 October the same year.[3]

I have been told we are the oldest continuous Sporting club in the world..But at 1858 we come in 2nd to the oldest started....Just what i have been told..

I have been told we are the oldest continuous Sporting club in the world..But at 1858 we come in 2nd to the oldest started....Just what i have been told..

Lets stick to fooball clubs. The MCC is obviously a longer sporting club (continuous or otherwise)

Can anyone name an older football club?

School football clubs are probably older (Rugby, Melb Grammar, Geelong Grammar) but they aren't clubs in the true sense of a separate legal identity

Lets stick to fooball clubs. The MCC is obviously a longer sporting club (continuous or otherwise)

School football clubs are probably older (Rugby, Melb Grammar, Geelong Grammar) but they aren't clubs in the true sense of a separate legal identity

What matters and frustrates me, is that we are one of the longest between premierships in the AFL - who cares how old we are !!!???

Go Dees!

Yes, there is a soccer club in England older than us....Not sure of the name but i heard the President of it, interviewed by Mark Fine a couple of years back.

The started just before the MFC, but have not been continuous, so i say that means we are older!!!...But we need that 13th. Cup more.