Neeld pours heat on Demons

Surfer Rosa

Not once have I indicated I'm ready with a cricket bat Chook. It'd actually be those that are pumping him hard now that will come out swinging should a player, in their view, not be dropped.

It will be interesting to see what he would do if a Brad green-type scenario should arise next season. Our captain (regardless of who it is), down in form, does he continue to play him? I think we were the last club to drop a captain (Sugar Healy in the late 80's/early 90's if I recall correctly). there have been some form slumps by other captains from all teams since then, and to the bes tof my knowledge, none have been dropped.

I will just sit back and watch what happens. Unlike some, I'm not hanging on every word spoken, however, I have been enjoying the media coverage we have been getting. And so far, I've been impressed with the actions to date. But there is a long way to go, and I will judge him at the end of his tenure (which is hopefully in 10 years rather than 3).

I understand that you're unwilling to jump into bed with someone when you don't know how well they will perform, but someone who is really intent on sitting back and watching would be more discreet when doing so. Those who don't post at all (or rarely) on an issue are the ones who are really keen on observing without passing judgment. You can be content to watch without needing to inform everyone that you're doing so. But this is a footy forum, so if there's a place for that kind of thing anywhere, it's here.

I tend to agree Billy. I'm optimistic that the man knows what he is doing, however i also feel that he is making alot of bold statements in the press that dont need to be made this early into his 1st preseason

I would imagine that the club has told him to get on the front foot and promote the new and much harder line being taken at Melbourne.

We have had a dreadful year and there are plenty of reasons why members won't re sign for 2012 and I would imagine that the rhetoric is as much to encourage them to as it is to show the Footy World we mean business.

I actually just re-read the HUN article. I don't think Neeld was harsh at all. He is merely challenging a group of AFL elite players, coaches and ultimately himself. As he has said before "i only get one chance at this job"

He wants to give it his absolute best shot.

If the playing group don't measure up Neeld will go, before the playing group, as what happened to Dean Bailey found out.

• Like 1

It would be good if he spoke to some of the players one on one before casting aspersions on their prospects in the media. Not a good start imo.

FFS, he has spoken to the players one on one, and presumably in some detail. And he hasn't cast "aspersions on their prospects at all". I took it as positive encouragement and direction more than anything else.

Sorry, but really bizarre post IMHO.

Edited by bing181

We've been labelled as a "soft" club because our players like being mollycoddled but the reality of life in this professional game is you get nowhere with that sort of treatment. As a club, we're living proof of this and the playing group is going to have to learn what it takes to be successful - the hard way.

I believe the expression is 'balls deep' gentlemen

Well, this game we are all here talking about is ultimately based on what we do with that very ball once we get our hands on it !

Presumably that is what you are all referring to ?

It would be good if he spoke to some of the players one on one before casting aspersions on their prospects in the media. Not a good start imo.

Of course he would have done this, RB.

This honesty will make or break some players.

But I would prefer we settle who is ready to put the work in now so we can stop wasting our time with those are wasting theirs.

And to personalise it - t'll with either make Jurrah a great player or it will not...

But talent like his deserves the chance at greatness.

Do you know this , or merely casting your own aspersions ?? Im somewhat surprised youd even think he hasnt spoken to the players as this was his stated intention as soon as they returned after their break. Whats being reported has transpired since these briefs ( player's)

There will be rude awakenings ( npi ) for more than a handful of players, even some of the more gifted and dedicatd ones. The bar is simply a lot higher now.. Its up to the players to respond.

In any behaviour change campaign, making a public commitment increases the likely hood that the thing committed to will be delivered. The fact that MN has publicly stated his goal to make the MFC team harder, and has publicly stated his desire for the players named to lift their game will increase the likely hood of these things happening...

Hence it's all good.

Go Dees

• Like 1

I much prefer Neelds "My way or the highway" than Cameron Schwab's telling us that demons supporters should be very comfortable with the process of resigning Tom Scully.

Still irritates me to think of it.

Not once have I indicated I'm ready with a cricket bat Chook. It'd actually be those that are pumping him hard now that will come out swinging should a player, in their view, not be dropped.

It will be interesting to see what he would do if a Brad green-type scenario should arise next season. Our captain (regardless of who it is), down in form, does he continue to play him? I think we were the last club to drop a captain (Sugar Healy in the late 80's/early 90's if I recall correctly). there have been some form slumps by other captains from all teams since then, and to the bes tof my knowledge, none have been dropped.

Richie Vandenberg

Of course he would have done this, RB.

This honesty will make or break some players.

But I would prefer we settle who is ready to put the work in now so we can stop wasting our time with those are wasting theirs.

And to personalise it - t'll with either make Jurrah a great player or it will not...

But talent like his deserves the chance at greatness.

RB does have an inside line to LJ remember.... Maybe Neeld and LJ's version of events are different....

Is this known for a fact?

If Neeld is pissing the boys off left right and center it wont be a good thing for the morrale of the group or our on field performance. Just like Gary Lyon said after the sacking of Bailey, the guys need to enjoy their footy...

Is this known for a fact?

If Neeld is pissing the boys off left right and center it wont be a good thing for the morrale of the group or our on field performance. Just like Gary Lyon said after the sacking of Bailey, the guys need to enjoy their footy...

But they also need to realise they are professional sports people, there job is to train the way the coaching staff say and play the way the coach tells them too.

All the players have been asked to step it up. We've been mired in mediocrity for too long! Didn't read the article as casting aspersions on anyones prospects myself.

But they also need to realise they are professional sports people, there job is to train the way the coaching staff say and play the way the coach tells them too.

of course they are, but there is a right and wrong way to deal with things. You dont hear the PM coming out and naming which ministers arent doing their job to the level she would like. Thats for behind closed doors IMO. I dont think being hard and driven is muturally inclusive with being a [censored]?! The comment about Davey/Casey fans didnt need to be said in public. Respect is a two way street. Its pretty disrespectful IMO for a new coach to make such a statement about a player who has served the club well for as long as Aaron.

• Like 1

Davey's form in 2011 was fairly disrespectful to me as a paid up member. If he doesn't learn to beat his opponent (shake his tag) i fully expect him to play for casey. Neeld was not being disrespectful, just setting the standard for all to see.

The control of the tail has returned to the dog. Get used to it lads.

It seems as though our Jacky boy (and others) have taken it all to heart. Nath Jones on his site:

"Wednesday was by far the biggest session, with hard running and skills followed by an afternoon circuit session. It left most of us feeling like cement afterwards and no doubt all the boys slept like babies."

"In the gym, the boys really pushed themselves. I’m in group 2 of the weights and what a group it is. BOG for me in the gym was Jack Watts, Ricky Pettard and Jamie Bennell. They really took to shifting steel and worked extra hard."..

Good to see fellas!!

FYI: http://www.nathanjones.com.au/?p=224