Tom Scully wants to be Giant for life!

Harcourt

Here we go again, hmm? The Melbourne Football Club was not complicit in any HWMNBN shenanigans. I couldn't care less about an effing GWS player anymore, but don't you tell me the club knew of the betrayal and kept it quiet to keep up appearances or whatever wafer-thin reason you can think up.

I fail to understand how you can be so forthright with your views on this subject when you got the result so completely wrong.

That conference can be found with a quick Google search and does make for interesting viewing the second time around. I think it was AmericadeCali who first picked up on it but you do get the distinct vibe that he was 'coached' to give specific answers. He did it very well but there are certainly a few giveaways in his body language that become apparent with a second, post-facto viewing.

Regarding researching top draft talent, I do wonder sometimes what lengths they go to to talk to the parents of these kids prior to selecting them. One wonders if a few surreptitious conversations with Fill Scully over some beers mightn't have raised a few early red flags.

That is exactly what i am saying Yoda....The MFC was obviously very excited to get him, and this enthusiasm may have clouded some factors, that were deemed"Fixable" Body Language is like DNA if you know how to watch it, we all exude it...

It is the first factor i would be considering if i was doing recruitment for ANY job not just footy...

i will google that video...Thanks for the tip.

I fail to understand how you can be so forthright with your views on this subject when you got the result so completely wrong.

And that is why you fail...

lol

I always maintained he could go - I just trusted the kid that he didn't sign when you said (via David Schwarz (via god knows who)) that he signed in October 2010.

And then when he did go - all Range Rovers/Yodas christmasses came at once...

So it just shows we should have been more diligent in our original selection doesn't it.

More diligent?

If he's that good at lying, no amount of diligence would have picked up the imminent jump to Sydney. If his knee packs it in for good, he should take up poker.

It's clear now that the club was on a hiding to nothing and we've come out of it about as well as we could.

A loyal, not-overpaid no 1 draft pick would be better, but was not to be.

And that is why you fail... lol I always maintained he could go - I just trusted the kid that he didn't sign when you said (via David Schwarz (via god knows who)) that he signed in October 2010. And then when he did go - all Range Rovers/Yodas christmasses came at once...

Blahh ... whatever helps you get through the day :ph34r:

Btw you didn't always maintain he could go. In the beginning you were totally adamant that anyone who doubted him was off their rocker. With each passing week you took a step down your ladder.

Blahh ... whatever helps you get through the day :ph34r:

Btw you didn't always maintain he could go. In the beginning you were totally adamant that anyone who doubted him was off their rocker. With each passing week you took a step down your ladder.

I said "why would anyone want to leave Serenity" and that, to Joss Whedon fans, is a ironic show of unearned faith that there is nowhere better to be than the place you are at.

Subtlety is lost on you though...

I said "why would anyone want to leave Serenity" and that, to Joss Whedon fans, is a ironic show of unearned faith that there is nowhere better to be than the place you are at.

Subtlety is lost on you though...

That's a tad rich coming from someone who missed, or refused to acknowledge, almost every less-than-subtle clue as to what was going on throughout the season.

And Joss Whedon can bite my crank :wacko:

That conference can be found with a quick Google search and does make for interesting viewing the second time around. I think it was AmericadeCali who first picked up on it but you do get the distinct vibe that he was 'coached' to give specific answers. He did it very well but there are certainly a few giveaways in his body language that become apparent with a second, post-facto viewing.

Regarding researching top draft talent, I do wonder sometimes what lengths they go to to talk to the parents of these kids prior to selecting them. One wonders if a few surreptitious conversations with Fill Scully over some beers mightn't have raised a few early red flags.

Just re watched the 8 minutes still available on Big Pond..(is there a longer version somewhere) Very carefully worded isn't it, and he delivered it well...but he is so uncomfortable it is almost painful to view.

Strange times they were....

Long felt that $cully became Sheedy's obsession .

We knocked Sheedy back as a player in the 60's and then knocked him back as a Coach .

He's has a ruthless , nasty , vindictive streak that knows no bounds - rat cunning is the best way to describe him .

These sort of people hold grudges forever - lets just hope it all turns to ..................

We knocked Sheedy back as a player in the 60's and then knocked him back as a Coach .

He's has a ruthless , nasty , vindictive streak that knows no bounds - rat cunning is the best way to describe him .

These sort of people hold grudges forever - lets just hope it all turns to ..................

I agree. But decisions made in anger ... and I think there was more than a hint of vengeance in the way Sheedy engineered this ... can have a nasty way of going pear-shaped. Let's hope so in this instance.

Edited by Yoda

Is that so.....was unaware of that...another jigsaw piece fits....

I agree. But decisions made in anger ... and I think there was more than a hint of vengeance in the way Sheedy engineered this ... can have a nasty way of going pear-shaped. Let's hope so in this instance.

We may never know for sure but Sheedy may let something slip in the next year or so that gives it away ........ he will want to rub it in - that's been his style forever and a day .

Is that so.....was unaware of that...another jigsaw piece fits....

Checked with 3 sources re the "knocked back as a player" bit , but I stand to be corrected of course .

He was at Prahran before the tigers got him.

Yeah Redleg - knew that bit about Prahran but I'm fairly sure he had a tryout with us around that time as well and we knocked him back .

We used to have a bit of a connection with the "Two Blues" if you remember - Emselle and a few others ?

Edited by Nuggets

Yeah Redleg - knew that bit about Prahran but I'm fairly sure he had a tryout with us around that time as well and we knocked him back .

We used to have a bit of a connection with the "Two Blues" if you remember - Emselle and a few others ?

The Prahan Plummber...Maybe the MFC thought he was too rough around the edges. We made stupid decisions like that back then!!!!

Sheeds maybe a total Loon, but he was one mighty player!

The Prahan Plummber...Maybe the MFC thought he was too rough around the edges. We made stupid decisions like that back then!!!!

Sheeds maybe a total Loon, but he was one mighty player!

There's probably a lot of players who got knocked back before the draft started up - think we knocked back "The Dominator" as well - whoops !

• Like 1

Sliding doors. If Trengove was chosen ahead of Scully that year (according to Bailey it was pretty much a toss of the coin), we could be in the situation where GWS targeted JT, got him, and we were left with Scully.

I don't accept this for a second. We would still have Trengove - he committed to the Dees early, and it was genuine. He appears to have a much different approach to the club, his team mates and perhaps to his career/life goals to Scully.

The underlying character of the player is very important in this debate. It's not all about the dough for many - in fact, for some it's not about the dough at all.

Many, many much better and more established players than Scully were targeted by GWS, and they all stuck fat with their respective clubs and by their team mates. They didn't run for the cash - other factors were too important to them. For many, it seems they didn't even really entertain the offers from GWS. It was just not an option.

And I think it is bordering on slanderous to suggest Trengove may have gone to GWS if he had been targeted (I know that's not what you intended Kick It Long, but IMO it can't even be suggested re: Trengove). He strikes as a young man of extreme integrity. For instance, without being pressured, he approached the club after the 186 point humiliation to Geelong and essentially said, "I am committed to this club - sign me up forever". And that's in the context that he's a young AFL gun in demand and his club, at the time, was completely imploding. Character in spades - he wouldn't leave the trench.

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 1

I don't accept this for a second. We would still have Trengove - he committed to the Dees early, and it was genuine. He appears to have a much different approach to the club, his team mates and perhaps to his career/life goals to Scully.

The underlying character of the player is very important in this debate. It's not all about the dough for many - in fact, for some it's not about the dough at all.

Many, many much better and more established players than Scully were targeted by GWS, and they all stuck fat with their respective clubs and by their team mates. They didn't run for the cash - other factors were too important to them. For many, it seems they didn't even really entertain the offers from GWS. It was just not an option.

And I think it is bordering on slanderous to suggest Trengove may have gone to GWS if he had been targeted (I know that's not what you intended Kick It Long, but IMO it can't even be suggested re: Trengove). He strikes as a young man of extreme integrity. For instance, without being pressured, he approached the club after the 186 point humiliation to Geelong and essentially said, "I am committed to this club - sign me up forever". And that's in the context that he's a young AFL gun in demand and his club, at the time, was completely imploding. Character in spades - he wouldn't leave the trench.

Agree wholeheartedly, Ron.

The remaining paragraphs of the post you took that sentence from explained that.

I was purely trying to reason that we have come out of this the best we could have and people need to move on and stop dwelling on the past.

We ended up keeeping the real 2009 No.1 pick in my view.

Just as long as I see Tapscott flatten Scully next year I'll be happy.

I'm not so easily pleased.

I want him flattened, no worries there, but I also want to see his pasty face go all slack-jawed as he watches his former teammates hoist the premiership cup while he watches on preparing for another Blacktown preseason in October.