2011 Player Review - # 20 Colin Garland  

Demonland

The classy backman gave the team great run rebounding out of defence and teamed well with James Frawley in a part of the team that was often under pressure.

Second top ten finish in a row after coming back from a serious foot injury.

Games MFC 2011 18 MFC Total 58 Goals MFC 2011 1 MFC Total 4

Games CSFC 2011 1 CSFC Goals 2011 0

MFC Rebounds from 50 55 (2nd)

Club Champion 156 votes (6th)

Had a handful of games where he completely bombed - perhaps he's a player whose confidence is made or broken early in the game. Other than that, had another outstanding year. The Frawley/Garland combo is probably my favourite aspect of this team at the moment. Still can't believe our luck at how cheaply we got him.

When he is off his form, Colin tends to give away a lot of silly/cheap free kicks. If he can get that out of his game he will be even more valuable than he already is. Arguably one of the most consistent and reliable backmen in the AFL.

Big fan of Colin. Would like to see him work on his body language a bit when the chips are down as it is terrible, but considering that's the worst I have to say about his game, then I reckon it's fair to say we uncovered a gem there. Looking forward to him and Chip really cementing themselves as a backline to be feared throughout the competition in the coming years.

Garlo has become a key member of our backline. His reading of the play, sure hands, spoiling to advantage, desperation and run and carry all went up a notch in 2011, and I fully expect there is still a way to go. However, the real quality for me is his versatility ...... he is equally effective on smalls and talls, and the coaches must love that. If anything, I'd like him to add some well placed mongrel to his game (Mark Neeld might like that too!) and to eliminate the odd brain fade ..... but I'm not complaining!

I think another good solid preseason and injury free will see him right.

Should be in our leadership group.

yes I agree leads from the back. One of our more intelligent players also.

No chance, he is too good a backman.

Yeah alongside Rivers, Frawley, Grimes and Tapscott I think he is perfect. He uses his long frame well and has a good long kick. Usually a good decision maker. If he can get consistency I think he is in Melbournes top 5 most important players. Reminds me a lot of Fletcher.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 2

WARNING by William from Waalitj

As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

OVER YET? by KC from Casey

The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 527

PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30

VOTES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jake Lever, Jack Viney & Clayton Oliver make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 39

POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The Demons were blown out of the water in the first quarter and clawed their way back into the contest but it was a case of too little too late as they lost another close one to Carlton losing by 1 point at the MCG.  

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 486

GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 959
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!