NEW COACHES

jayceebee31

Is anyone else a bit disappointed that we haven't announced any new coaching appointments in the past 24 hours?

:lol:

I expect an announcement early this week virtually completing our coaching panel with another from the TAC that could be added.

Edited by jayceebee31

Interesting that one Bushy i just read this in the Age and he appears to have had no discussions with anyone at this stage.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/brown-goes-with-thanks-20111001-1l345.html

Brown, who undertook coaching courses during the tail-end of his career, said he had yet to field any formal job offers but hoped some would be forthcoming now that the next stage of his football career had officially begun.

''I haven't really thought about it too much, to be honest. I guess over the next few weeks we'll sort that out and go from there.''

Leigh Brown will be named forward coach later this afternoon. Only leaves an assistant back coach whom most probablyannounced at the same time.

Can someone please compile a list of what we have in place now?

There has been so many appointments, I have lost track.

Thanks in advance

In order of the hierachy within the club (this isn't how it'll actually work)

Director of Sports Performance: Craig

Senior Coach: Neeld

Forward Coach: Brown

Forward Dev Coach: Satterly

Mid Coach: Royal

Mid Dev Coach: Greaves

Back Coach: Rawlings

Back Dev Coach: ???

president

I

MFC Board

CEO (Cameron Schwab) / Football Director (Lyon (for now))

\/

Director of Sports Performance (Neil Craig)

\/

Senior Coach (Neeld) / Elite Performance Manager (Misson) / General Manager Player Devt & Strategy (Viney)

\/

Backline Coach (Rawlings / Midfield Coach (Royal) / Forward Coach (L.Brown)

\/

Backs Asst Coach (?) / Mids Asst Coach (Greaves) Devt Fwd Line Coach (Satterley)

And also:

General Mgr Club Devt (Connolly)

Football Manager (Mahoney)

Developement Coach (O'Donnell)

Innovations Coach (Dunbar)

General Manager List Devt (Harrington)

Recruitment Manager (Prendergast)

Assistant backline coach still required.

president I MFC Board 1 CEO (Cameron Schwab) / Football Director (Lyon (for now)) \/ Director of Sports Performance (Neil Craig) \/ Senior Coach (Neeld) / Elite Performance Manager (Misson) / General Manager Player Devt & Strategy (Viney) \/ Backline Coach (Rawlings / Midfield Coach (Royal) / Forward Coach (L.Brown) \/ Backs Asst Coach (?) / Mids Asst Coach (Greaves) Devt Fwd Line Coach (Satterley) And also: General Mgr Club Devt (Connolly) Football Manager (Mahoney) Developement Coach (O'Donnell) Innovations Coach (Dunbar) General Manager List Devt (Harrington) Recruitment Manager (Prendergast) Assistant backline coach still required.

The club announced that there would be 8 coaches didn't they? My assumption here is that meant 8 matchday coaches,.... Obviously the development coach for the backline still needs to be announced, but that still only makes 7 unless one of Dunbar/ O'Donnell/Viney has a match day involvement. So we still could be looking at 2 more announcements... Not sure what the role for the other coach would be....

Did anyone see Eddie saying that Eade was not appointed to replace the hole left by Malthouse, his role has a match day focus, and is there to fill the void left by Neeld... His title is football and coaching strategist .... :huh: But could we see a similar role maybe someone like Laidley who was always seen as a good matchday coach in a similar role?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-still-coachs-boxing-on/story-e6frf9io-1226157784440

Edited by Oucher

Director of Sports Performance (Neil Craig)

\/

Senior Coach (Neeld) / Elite Performance Manager (Misson) / General Manager Player Devt & Strategy (Viney)

I really don't know if this will be the structure.

I can see some issues with Craig being above Neeld - but I can understand that structure.

But I don't think it is comfortable to have Neeld and Viney on the same level. Neeld should be in charge of as much as possible if he is to be respected as the head coach.

Misson is definitely below him and I would put Viney below him too.

Malthouse has said to him that he has to dominate the place for three years to stamp his authority on the place and the others should understand why.

We chose Neeld for what he will bring, and we should let him bring it.

The club announced that there would be 8 coaches didn't they? My assumption here is that meant 8 matchday coaches,.... Obviously the development coach for the backline still needs to be announced, but that still only makes 7 unless one of Dunbar/ O'Donnell/Viney has a match day involvement. So we still could be looking at 2 more announcements... Not sure what the role for the other coach would be....

Did anyone see Eddie saying that Eade was not appointed to replace the hole left by Malthouse, his role has a match day focus, and is there to fill the void left by Neeld... His title is football and coaching strategist .... :huh: But could we see a similar role maybe someone like Laidley who was always seen as a good matchday coach in a similar role?

http://www.heraldsun...o-1226157784440

I count 8 -- however some may not sit in the box..

Neeld seemed to really enjoy the boundary line- similar to Craig.However the 8 are :

Craig, Neeld, Rawlings, Royal, Brown & the 3 assistants.

I also think Kelly O'Donnell will also sit in the box. A lot of people in the box now...

I really don't know if this will be the structure.

I can see some issues with Craig being above Neeld - but I can understand that structure.

But I don't think it is comfortable to have Neeld and Viney on the same level. Neeld should be in charge of as much as possible if he is to be respected as the head coach.

Misson is definitely below him and I would put Viney below him too.

Malthouse has said to him that he has to dominate the place for three years to stamp his authority on the place and the others should understand why.

We chose Neeld for what he will bring, and we should let him bring it.

I can asure you that is the structure that I stated.. It is on the board at AAMI.

You have to feel for Dean Bailey, he must be sitting back looking at the new resources in the footy department and asking himself what might have been if the same was extended to him over the past couple of years.

It is great that our club is spending the money in the department that really counts, we have talented players and hopefully with the new coaches and footy department structure we are giving the on field every opportunity to catch up with the clubs off field performance.

I can asure you that is the structure that I stated.. It is on the board at AAMI.

Intriguing.

There is a board at AAMI stipulating the org structure?

Can someone get in there with an iPhone or something?

All things being equal - a Senior Coach should be above the High Performance Manager and the Dev Strategist...

Intriguing.

All things being equal - a Senior Coach should be above the High Performance Manager and the Dev Strategist...

Why don't you come down and see it for yor self-I have offered to pick you up for years now.Also listen to this ..http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_mark-neeld-new-melbourne-coach-making-changes_103079 and Neil Craig's interviews to verify his job at MFC..

Edited by jayceebee31

Pretty certain this is correct as well. The Neeld interview on 5AA alluded to this as well. I think Craig sits atop Misson and Neeld structurally Neeld defined it as a Mentoring thing where they are challenged and discuss things with Craig. I don't think the Viney position as such was discussed, but it would unlikely fall under Neeld anyway, it has a lot in common with List management and Tim Harrington I would imagine too...

As to the other comment regarding counting 8. I didn't factor Craig into the equation, and I still don't think he is classed as a coach as such. He is a big appointment and a great get, but pretty certain he stated himself that it has no match day component (Happy to stand corrected on this though) He is more a Football Director/Football Ops type of thing... and sitting above Mahoney I guess...

Anyway.... as long as they know what is happening thats the main thing :)

Why don't you come down and see it for yor self-I have offered to pick you up for years now.Also listen to this ..http://www.fiveaa.co...-changes_103079 and Neil Craig's interviews to verify his job at MFC..

Can you let this go? I do not need a lift, nor would I ask for one.

As for that interview, I have heard it. Sporadically informative.

And lastly, I am not questioning the existence of said structure. I am questioning the effectiveness and purposefulness of said structure.

Intriguing.

Funnily enough I was meant to be in there earlier today for something, but it's been put off and I probably won't go now.

I'll see if I can get someone else to do it for me.

And lastly, I am not questioning the existence of said structure. I am questioning the effectiveness and purposefulness of said structure.

If indeed you litened to things - you would have learnt that Neil Craig has stated he will be overseeing these 3 areas. He will be foremost the mentor to Neeld, he will be assisting with the structure and strategy of the fitness area - however this will be solely overssen by Missen and will oversee the development of the football department.He is also hopeful to travel and pick up worlds best practice on an on going basis.And I can assure you- he will be putting in place a high altitude camp for at the end of 2012.I'll be catching up with some of the group at Etihad this week , so if Mattt Burgun is there,I will request him to place the new structure on the MFC website.

Edited by jayceebee31

If indeed you litened to things - you would have learnt that Neil Craig has stated he will be overseeing these 3 areas. He will be foremost the mentor to Neeld, he will be assisting with the structure and strategy of the fitness area - however this will be solely overssen by Missen and will oversee the development of the football department.He is also hopeful to travel and pick up worlds best practice on an on going basis.And I can assure you- he will be putting in place a high altitude camp for at the end of 2012.

I am quite certain that there is overlap in what each person thinks is there area of responsibility.

That is natural, but it will be a concern if people do not acquiesce to Neeld.

He is the King, because we gave him the role of the King.

Neeld is the man; our success/failure is on his head.

And Misson and Viney shouldn't be considered on the same level as Neeld - this is my major issue.

Neeld should be driving our direction and I dare say the structure is slightly more dynamic than what you have seen on the board at AAMI...

Footy Clubs will never fit into a traditional org chart structure, if it was done propperly there would be dotted lines bypassing people all over the place.

don't sweat it, organisation charts reflecting reporting lines and functional reponsibilities are often difficult to portray

I think Neeld is the type to insist on what he wants and won't take shyte from anyone

..., but it will be a concern if people do not acquiesce to Neeld. He is the King, because we gave him the role of the King. Neeld is the man; our success/failure is on his head. And Misson and Viney shouldn't be considered on the same level as Neeld - this is my major issue. Neeld should be driving our direction and I dare say the structure is slightly more dynamic than what you have seen on the board at AAMI...

I am not sure this is quite right RPFC. What you are stating is an outsiders perspective of the status of the coach in the football department. They are the public face for the football team, they put the coaching strategy in place, But they don't run the whole show. Neeld would work with Misson and together they would come up with a strategy for fitness, performance etc... but it's not Neeld's role to put it into place. Similarly with other areas such as player recruitment etc... Neeld would work with Prendergast on the types of players he wants... the gaps he sees in the list, Prendergast's job is to recommend the best fits and the 'likely' candidates.

I have no doubt that the club when chosing Neeld looked at his vision and proposed solution to making the football team a success, and then provided the resources in order to help him achieve that. But Craig reports to the CEO, the Senior Coach reports to whoever heads up the football department.

.... otherwise you end up with something more like Grant Thomas and his time @ St Kilda.... or worse still Greg Miller (Not that he was coach,) at Richmond.