What happened in China?

DEELIRIOUS

From all these stories I keep hearing he seems pretty immature from what Im reading - highly sensitive. But I dont buy all that - his two year contract says what he intended from the start...

Why? I doubt it. What evidence have you seen?

I am just basing it on his reputation as a 'professional' in the way he goes about his preparation and his brief media appearances to date. I should have emphasised that I said his potential leadership capabilities, as you are correct in stating that this has yet to be proven on the field beyond a few impressive cameo efforts in 2010 - notably the last quarter against the dogs.

As for the real reason why he left the China Trip, that is besides the point. I was just trying to make sense of what might have influenced his decision beyond the money, which obviously played a huge role, because it seemed like Melbourne had tried to recruit a group of young players who they thought would form a strong bond together.

I am just basing it on his reputation as a 'professional' in the way he goes about his preparation and his brief media appearances to date. I should have emphasised that I said his potential leadership capabilities, as you are correct in stating that this has yet to be proven on the field beyond a few impressive cameo efforts in 2010 - notably the last quarter against the dogs.

As for the real reason why he left the China Trip, that is besides the point. I was just trying to make sense of what might have influenced his decision beyond the money, which obviously played a huge role, because it seemed like Melbourne had tried to recruit a group of young players who they thought would form a strong bond together.

The vic metro bond was a major part of their thinking

The vic metro bond was a major part of their thinking

Exactly. So you have to wonder whether that strategy can be considered somewhat as a failure, but in fairness to the club they probably didn't expect the Scully scenario to eventuate, rather that in a few years time they might be struggling to keep a list of high draft picks together due to bids from other clubs.

I have seen this point brought up a few times....his family are one eyed Richmond? So what? Judd's are one eyed Melbourne. Is he playing for us?

Even the day he was picked the look on Scully's mothers face was a story in itself. It was as if the unbelievable had happened.There was no loyalty to the Club from day one.

Even the day he was picked the look on Scully's mothers face was a story in itself. It was as if the unbelievable had happened.There was no loyalty to the Club from day one.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/122936/default.aspx

"..... and I just want to give a real big thank you to the Scully family as well. I’ve been lucky - because I’m from Werribee myself - and when I came to Casey it was a long trek, so I would travel out to Berwick to stay with the Scullys the night before a game at Casey. Especially during pre-season, that’s three nights a week, and it’s pretty solid. So, just a big thanks to them, because there’s no doubt that without them, God knows where I’d be."

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/122936/default.aspx

"..... and I just want to give a real big thank you to the Scully family as well. I’ve been lucky - because I’m from Werribee myself - and when I came to Casey it was a long trek, so I would travel out to Berwick to stay with the Scullys the night before a game at Casey. Especially during pre-season, that’s three nights a week, and it’s pretty solid. So, just a big thanks to them, because there’s no doubt that without them, God knows where I’d be."

Decent of the Scully family and Fitzpatrick's feelings are understood. But the club might need to discuss the Scully issue now with Jack and all the other players to clear the decks and move on stronger for the exercise. It should also make the point that from its perspective it cant afford to be a soft target in any football matter and henceforth and won't be.

I thought I saw a tweet that mentioned something about illness, but in this case it may have been drink related and involving an exceptionally tall player calling for his friend Ralph while standing over a prone (possibly sleeping?) Tom Scully. No idea if there is any truth to it, but it makes a good story none-the-less.

Hey Hardtack, sorry if you have already commented on this, but weren't you on the China trip? Just wondering what observations you made throughout the adventure.

While it probably would've been stalker-ish, I know if a group of the players were enjoying the nightlife over there, I would've been with them!

From what I've heard, the trip gave Scully an insight as to the team dynamics -- relationships within the team, player personalities etc. -- and this has fueled speculation that he returned home after feeling, erm, out of place on the trip. Maybe he clashed with certain players, or perhaps didn't see certain leaders directions as especially beneficial for the team.

Each to their own.

Is this just confirming the speculative rumour or fact

I think he came back early from China to meet his manager and sign with GWS

I also happen to think the timing was all too fortuitous ! The only time when an agreement couldbe done then 'sealed"

A convenience of sorts....hmm lets see I need an excuse to get back and alone ...hnmmm. Yep, speculative, I ackowledge. Still Sheeds has said he knew all year it was a done deal, an agreement. Year..thats 12 months..that goes al the way back to... oh yeah :rolleyes:

Whatever did happen in China my belief was it wasnt conducive to his going as much as it was a conduit to his going.

Anyhow...doesnt matter any more..Hes gone

Just as Brock McLeans truevalue became Jack Grimes...

so shall it be that teh real value of that #1 pick back in 09 will be.... well we dont know yet....lol...but someone who actually wants to play for us..:)

If he had an issue with player behaviour on the trip, not sure his new club, or any other club will be much better. In fact we generally have not had any major issues...

I read that his fellow start up side GCS had had some players arrested for fighting police in Thailand...

I think this whole China thing is being blown out of proportion...its all about the $$$

Hey Hardtack, sorry if you have already commented on this, but weren't you on the China trip? Just wondering what observations you made throughout the adventure.

While it probably would've been stalker-ish, I know if a group of the players were enjoying the nightlife over there, I would've been with them!

Billy... I was in China, but not as part of the "tour" per ce. I took my own trip (via the MotoGP in Malaysia) to Shanghai and attended both the training and the game, but not as part of the touring group and didn't get to attend any of the group functions, so I can't really comment on the behaviour of the playing group. Scully had already departed when I saw them... but my general observation was that they seemed to be taking the training and game seriously and didn't appear too hangdog or hung over.

Edited by hardtack