Who would you target from other clubs?

MadAsHell

Well the silly season's just over a month away so I thought I'd see who everyone would be looking at targeting from other clubs and exactly what they'd use to obtain them?

On one hand lets say Scully stays and it's announced at our B&F. (Fingers crossed!)

I'd suggest to Morton that he consider the greener pastures of GWS, with any luck we may get an end of 2nd round pick compensation for him If they take him as an uncontracted player.

I'd then try to trade that pick and Warnock to GWS for a pick in the mini draft. I know it wont land us O'Mera, but we could still with any luck land pick 4 and get another good youngster.

Bate & our 3rd round pick (should be in the low 50's) to St. Kilda for their 2nd round pick (should be low 40's).

Maric and our 2nd round pick (should be about pick 35) to Brisbane for Aaron Cornelius.

On the other hand lets say Scully does walk to GWS.

Trade Morton & our end our end of 1st round compo pick to GWS for a pick in the mini draft. Not sure if it would be enough to land O'Mera but would give us a chance.

Bate & our 3rd round pick (should be in the low 50's) to St. Kilda for their 2nd round pick (should be low 40's).

Warnock & 2nd round pick received from St. Kilda to Carlton for Jordan Russell.

Maric and our 2nd round pick (should be about pick 35) to Brisbane for Aaron Cornelius.

Aaron Cornelius: http://www.lions.com.au/players/playerprofile/aaroncornelius/tabid/5189/playerid/19938/category/senior/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx

Jordan Russell: http://www.carltonfc.com.au/players/playerprofile/jordanrussell/tabid/7854/playerid/14059/category/senior/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx

As you can see the players I've targeted address areas that need addressing. Cornelius is a KPF who's been in the system 3 years now who I reckon is ready to take the next step. Struggles for opportunities in Brisbane cause of Brown, Clark, Retzlaff etc. Is a good mark and pretty good kick at goal.

Russell I'd only look at if Scully left. Would slot into our back line beautifully allowing a Grimes, Bail or Blease to spend more time in the midfield in the event Scully's not there. Can play the shut down defeder role Bartram usually does but has better disposal, he's also quick and can play on smalls and medium sized forwards. Has been out of the side a couple of times this year due to Carlton's large number of medium sized defenders.

I reckon all other trades are realistic. Most optimistic one would be Bate & our 3rd round pick to St. Kilda for their 2nd round pick. Reckon it's possible though as St. Kilda do need another tall forward to help out Riewoldt when Kosi has to go into the ruck. Ryan Gamble certainly hasn't made that role his own.

Guest Gareth Keenan

I'd go after...

- Jack Redden

- Gary Rohan

- Dion Prestia

- Josh Caddy

- Andrew Gaff

- Daniel Cross

- Travis Boak

- David Armitage

- Mitch Duncan

- Jaeger O'Meara

Guest Gareth Keenan

Hadn't heard that one. Source?

I've heard it from some Carlton supporting mates who are positive he is gone.

It's why he hasn't been in the side much this season, apparently.

At the moment though, it holds as much weight as saying Scully is gone.

In any case, I wouldn't want him.

I'd go after...

- Jack Redden

- Gary Rohan

- Dion Prestia

- Josh Caddy

- Andrew Gaff

- Daniel Cross

- Travis Boak

- David Armitage

- Mitch Duncan

- Jaeger O'Meara

Daniel Cross is a poor mans Jordie McKenzie :)

Jordan Russell is the pits.... Dont want him! I will change teams if we land him. Spew!

Pendlebury will be a Demon in 2013!

Should be targeing these players for next season;

One of these three;

Rory Sloane ADL

Andrew Gaff WC

Dion Prestia GC

and

One of these three;

Sam Reid SYD

Trent McKenzie GC

Tom Lynch GC

Jordan Russell is the pits.... Dont want him! I will change teams if we land him. Spew!

Pendlebury will be a Demon in 2013!

Should be targeing these players for next season;

One of these three;

Rory Sloane ADL

Andrew Gaff WC

Dion Prestia GC

and

One of these three;

Sam Reid SYD

Trent McKenzie GC

Tom Lynch GC

Little bit over the top on Russell I would have thought..... :unsure:

I like the players you've mentioned as other targets though. However I reckon Pendlebury & Reid would very very difficult to land.

Trouble is, the only players I'd feel like it was worth 'targeting' would be players who are genuinely outstanding, so the trade cost for them would also be exceptional.

Try as we might, '3 x average' can't be made to equal '1 x elite'

Hmm... I see out positional needs as being -

a) a genuine shut-down mid-sized defender with poise and skill coming the other way (not much to ask!), which is why I have a huge but mostly forlorn draft dream of grabbing Matthew Buntine.

B) The solidly built key forward to be the monolith around which our brilliant collection of highly mobile tall and medium forwards can dance.

I don't want Fevola though. And I don't want to pay too much in picks and trade to get that positional player, given that over time both Watts and Cook should develop quite powerful bodies themselves, so the problem may only be short term.

I would happily trade our second pick for about 20kg of lean muscle to spread evenly across our forward line.

Hmm... I wonder if the Kangaroos would cosider letting go of Lachlan Hansen? He hasn't been setting the world on fire but at 23yrs, 197cms and 95kg he certainly fits the physical/positional need, and would be with us for the long haul.

It'd depend on what we had to sacrifice for him, obviously. I'm not under any illusions about him being a magician.

Hmm... I wonder if the Kangaroos would cosider letting go of Lachlan Hansen? He hasn't been setting the world on fire but at 23yrs, 197cms and 95kg he certainly fits the physical/positional need, and would be with us for the long haul.

It'd depend on what we had to sacrifice for him, obviously. I'm not under any illusions about him being a magician.

Hansen is the Cale Morton of the Roo's only worse. He is always being bagged by North fans. I am not so sure if he is what we want.

Hansen is the Cale Morton of the Roo's only worse. He is always being bagged by North fans. I am not so sure if he is what we want.

:)

While I was looking around for more info, I did notice a few North supporters were less than happy about his performances.

"Useless waste of sperm" was a particularly memorable quote.

Ah well, it's not like I'm suggesting Gumbleton. He has more derogatory nicknames than posessions.

Yesterday I would have suggested a direct Morton-Hansen swap in response to your post, but he has re-signed today so now I love him unconditionally, as ever...

Well it seems as though Scully has left and Morton has signed on for a further 2 years which kills off trading him.

Apart from Cornelius & Russell who were the players I initially said I'd chase some other players who I'd now be looking at would be.

Chris Dawes or Lachlan Hansen KPF's. Other options to Cornelius.

Andrew Gaff or Josh Toy, other midfields/HBF (Toy) options to Russell.

Dawes I reckon we could get in a three way trade. Warnock to Hawthorn, Ellis to Collingwood along with our 2nd round pick.

Hansen if we went down that path could be as easy as a straight swap for Dunn.

Gaff would be difficult. Maybe both our comp picks for Scully & Maric could get it done as West Coast are looking for a small forward.

Toy would also be tough if we went after him. Might require another 3 way deal. Warnock and a 2nd round pick to Hawthorn for their 1st round pick which goes to Gold Coast along with Maric.

Not sure how realistic any of those would be but just something as a possability.

In order my preferd target order for the mids & forwards would be.

MIDS:

Gaff

Toy

Russell

FORWARDS:

Dawes

Hansen

Cornelius

Only target Melbourne supporters that want to Play at the MFC.

ie, gaff

the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard

target kids under 23 who fir our direction for premiership success who cant get 600,000 a year at the club they are at now- that scully was offered by us.

Well it seems as though Scully has left and Morton has signed on for a further 2 years which kills off trading him.

Apart from Cornelius & Russell who were the players I initially said I'd chase some other players who I'd now be looking at would be.

Chris Dawes or Lachlan Hansen KPF's. Other options to Cornelius.

Andrew Gaff or Josh Toy, other midfields/HBF (Toy) options to Russell.

Dawes I reckon we could get in a three way trade. Warnock to Hawthorn, Ellis to Collingwood along with our 2nd round pick.

Hansen if we went down that path could be as easy as a straight swap for Dunn.

Gaff would be difficult. Maybe both our comp picks for Scully & Maric could get it done as West Coast are looking for a small forward.

Toy would also be tough if we went after him. Might require another 3 way deal. Warnock and a 2nd round pick to Hawthorn for their 1st round pick which goes to Gold Coast along with Maric.

Not sure how realistic any of those would be but just something as a possability.

In order my preferd target order for the mids & forwards would be.

MIDS:

Gaff

Toy

Russell

FORWARDS:

Dawes

Hansen

Cornelius

Hansen- i'd be staggered if we picked him. absolute spud

What is the talk of Gaff? Does he want to come back to Victoria?

Don't think the Eagles will be trading a pick 4 who has only played 15 games anytime soon.

Haven't heard if he does, but if we can put a word in his ear and offer West Coast 2 1st round draft picks they may flinch if they're concerned he may return later down the track.

I wouldn't bother with Lachie Hansen I'd rather see some game time put into Jack Fitzpatrick who I think will be much improved (barring injury) in 2012.He could turn out to be the big key forward we are looking for.

Other than that get Lucas Cook (and Morton for that matter) training with Sam Stosur so they can get massive.

We aren't placed too badly for Key Forwards if we can put some time and effort into fast tracking them.