MFC Memberships - how many lost to MCC ?

Winter Dan

I just bought a MCC/MFC Premium Membership for $760 yesterday to cover 2012.

so i have done my bit...I also Donated $$ to Jim's 100 fund.

Time for the Club to do it's best now.

Edited by why you little

Im wondering if MFC has researched how many of its supporters dont get a MFC memberships because they are MCC members.

If we have 37,000 odd members, would it be substantially higher if there was no MCC?

I think you will find that a reasonable percentage of the MCC Melbourne supporters actually tip in the extra $60 for the MFC membership (and another percentage more do the premium option).

I would also acknowledge however that there will be those in the MCC that don't purchase a membership. As someone said before, this would also be applicable to many other Victorian clubs as i have seen first hand the MFC support within the MFC dwindle and other clubs support grow (although i believe MFC support would still represent the greatest percentage).

I think you will find MFC knew this was an issue and is one of the reasons it realigned with the MCC.

I believe their are figures available. I think we might be pushing 50,000 if the regular active attenders all did sign up. All MCC members are not the so called wealthy. Many families are members because we all love it and we want our families to enjoy the pleasure. But financially that starts mounting up. Unfortunately it doesn't leave lots over for the MFC. I think if you contacted the club, either football or cricket you would get some current info.

Edited by Harrisonrules

I believe their are figures available. I think we might be pushing 50,000 if the regular active attenders all did sign up. All MCC members are not the so called wealthy. Many families are members because we all love it and we want our families to enjoy the pleasure. But financially that starts mounting up. Unfortunately it doesn't leave lots over for the MFC. I think if you contacted the club, either football or cricket you would get some current info.

Yes i think you are very close.

Now with the Alignment, even those who only pay for MCC Membership, at least the club does Benefit, which incorporates a stadium deal as well..

We are a lot better off than we were 4 years ago....still a long way to go, but we are improving as an entity.

Why are we flogging a dead horse, yeah great to get MCC members who support the MFC to buy a melb membership, but the club has to attract new ones in particular young ones going fwd. Aligning with Casey is one way as that is a huge growth area, continue to build the brand & success will help you, when you see the filth & hawks getting 60-70K members its a lot more than just winning flags its their business model etc.

I'm wondering if the MFC has researched how many of its supporters don't get an MFC membership.

I see what you did there.

Why are we flogging a dead horse, yeah great to get MCC members who support the MFC to buy a melb membership, but the club has to attract new ones in particular young ones going fwd. Aligning with Casey is one way as that is a huge growth area, continue to build the brand & success will help you, when you see the filth & hawks getting 60-70K members its a lot more than just winning flags its their business model etc.

Agree with these posts.

We will attract new Generations of supporters when we start winning big games consistantly.

I have said this before, but during the late 60's & 70's when the Football Replay was on a Saturday night....The MFC was never on (very bloody rare). So we missed an entire Generation there.

Look at Richmond, the reason they are still well followed is because THEY WERE ALWAYS on TV with Mike Williamson & (Mary Hardie later in the night)

That is a big reason we are coming from behind..

What we must always remember though is....our HOME ground has a seating capacity of just on 100,000 so we do have MASSIVE potential.

Maybe this is how the sponsorship deals are now built from...

We have no excuse...

I have been an MCC Overseas Member for the past 18 years and have always included the MFC Membership in the package, as long as it has been available.

I really appreciate the car stickers, calendar and even the scarfs (don't get much wear in Bangkok though!)

Before that, my MFC renewal was irregular. So, it works for me.

The club is very aware of this avenue for securing members

This topic has been done-to-death over the years with the resulting achievement of about half of our MCC supporters buying a one-form-or-another membership. With the emotion of the Jimma presidency and our promising (?) future , that's about the max we could expect. To those less than hardy souls wavering about renewing , let me give them at least a good mercenary reason to do so. You can get with your membership "The Big Paper" home delivered each day for $99 p.a. (about .30c a copy). I was invoiced this month for $416 (40% off) until i rang with my MFC card number to get the $99 deal. YOU ARE SAVING HUNDREDS WITH THIS OFFER !

Im wondering if MFC has researched how many of its supporters dont get a MFC memberships because they are MCC members.

If we have 37,000 odd members, would it be substantially higher if there was no MCC?

Yes the club knows; considering electronic gates and that MCC and share this information.

And you also need to consider that both the MCC and MFC recognise that need each other. Nothing fills up the Members reserve like Melbourne games and the MCC have a lot of contracts (catering, advertising and other services that rely on these crowds. So if there was no MCC there would be no MFC, just look at attendances at Docklands. This is one of the reasons that the MCC gave money to MFC at the end of the 2009 season when the club was trying to remove its debt.

This has to become a non issue, the same question can be asked of the big clubs how many mambers do they lose to AFL Memberships. We are a couple of thousand members away from 40,000 and in all honest along with Richmond we have been the worst performing team from the past 5 years. We have the potential to hit 50,000 members but we need our on field performance to go from potential to actual. The next 12 months are extremely important for our club we can not turn another year out like 2011 as all the good work off the field will be undone.

I'm wondering if the MFC has researched how many of its supporters don't get an MFC membership.

Even on Sunday I still saw MFC supports buying tickets at the ticket windows at the G. Ok not as many as usual, but in such a small crowd it makes me wonder how the 37000 figure is arrived at and made up of.

As for being a dual member when I finally get my MCC membership, well it is desireable, but if my circumstances don't allow at the time I would just stick with the MCC.

This has to become a non issue, the same question can be asked of the big clubs how many mambers do they lose to AFL Memberships.

The answer is 'virtually none', given that those who have an AFL Membership simply 'nominates' their team when they sign up and thus becomes is part of the officially recognised membership tally of that Club. Unlike the MCC membership, it costs nothing extra for AFL members to become a member of their Club.

Same can be said for other clubs these days. Our proportion of the MCC membership is slowly dwindling.

Actually it's not.

Apparently a lot of people who are members of the MCC and have had no interest in football (or have not followed a specific team) now nominate the Dee's on their renewal form as there football club.

Same goes for new MCC members.

Over the next couple of decades our proportion of the MCC membership will increase.

I purchase both a Cricket Club membership and a $160.00 MFC/MCC membership each year.

And over the last 4 or 5 years I've been pleasantly surprised as more of my friends have done the same!

Guest fitness

My understanding is that the MCC pays the MFC a significant amount each year, effectively to compensate for the fact that a decent percentage of its members are MFC supporters (and often now joint MFC/MCC members too). I recall hearing that during one of our recent lean years, the MCC payment was close to $1 million for that particular season.

As such, I have no reservations about the fact that I am am MCC member and pay my money there as opposed to the MFC. Having said that, I do chip in the extra $60 to become an MCC/MFC member, which I look upon as essentially a donation to the club because it offers little tangible benefit (save for a scarf and horns).

My understanding is that the MCC pays the MFC a significant amount each year, effectively to compensate for the fact that a decent percentage of its members are MFC supporters (and often now joint MFC/MCC members too). I recall hearing that during one of our recent lean years, the MCC payment was close to $1 million for that particular season.

As such, I have no reservations about the fact that I am am MCC member and pay my money there as opposed to the MFC. Having said that, I do chip in the extra $60 to become an MCC/MFC member, which I look upon as essentially a donation to the club because it offers little tangible benefit (save for a scarf and horns).

Yes, I give the $160 for the Premium.

It is, in essence a donation, but I think of it more as taking ownership over the club as a member rather than no having direct involvement as an MCC member alone.