• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Scott Gumbleton Thread

Range Rover

197cm 94kg and if you read the profile on the Essendon board they say he is still too light. The criticism was that he gets pushed out the way too easily.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/team/list.asp

97 it seems

If thats what you implied then you should have said it!!!!

Also i never said he was not underweight, you implied that he couldnt put on muscle not that he was 5 or so KG's short, considering he is perrenially injured which will hurt his ability to do so

The boy can play. You want Cloke or a Buddy to plug in straight away but that's never going to happen.

We should take a risk on a guy like this with massive x-factor. He didn't go no.2 in that draft for nothing.

In a year or two, we'd have a Watts/Gumbleton duo absolutely scaring the living suitcase out of every defence in the league.

Meanwhile, Cook can be groomed for CHB.

Edited by Range Rover

On the Essendon site they have him as 197cm/97cm. Hardly too light. The criticism of him reflects leg strength not weight. I would have thought his fitness for AFL and not his weight was a problem

Other AFL footballers.....

Fletcher 198/92

Ryder 196/92

Hurley 193/92

Reid 195/91

Richards 193/92

Kozi 197/93

Dawson 195/95

Gilbert 194/90

At 22 he could still build muscle tone and body mass. Its his fitness for AFL that is the issue.

Scott Gumbleton

Height: 197 cms

Weight: 94 kg

Games: 22

Goals: 22

"he is still light bodied but works hard"

I got that from the Essendon site.

Edited by RobbieF

Whether we try to trade for Scott Gumbleton, John Butcher or an extra midfielder, the mere involvement in the trades this year would represent a departure from our policies of recent years. We have certainly traded out on a few occasions, e.g Johnstone, McLean, Cheney but when was the last time that we traded into a new player? Brent Moloney?

Perhaps with a new coach the possibilities for trading will be enhanced.

We were always going to trade at some stage though. It makes sense after four years of rebuilding that we'd have identified the areas which need to be strengthened. Usually this converts to the trade table.

I am not sure how I feel on trading for Gumbleton, but I will definitely add my 2 cents to the "trading Jones a massive NO WAY" brigade.

We were always going to trade at some stage though. It makes sense after four years of rebuilding that we'd have identified the areas which need to be strengthened. Usually this converts to the trade table.

We don't have a lot to trade, we are deficient in most areas and can't afford to let and decent player go and you are never going to get much if you can only offer up players that can't get a game with your own club; unless you are a Collingwood or Geelong who have a number of spare top line players.

We keep hearing about Bate, well he wanted to be traded last year, or so I'm led to believe and there were no takers. Dunn is probably another, Warnock needs to be kept imo as a back up player and a new coach may bring the best out in him. Sylvia has the potential to be a game winner so we could trade him but he is one of our better players so why would you?

If a player can't get a game at Melbourne then his currency isn't going to be that high elsewhere. We've lost Buckley, Bruce and Cheney lately to other clubs with zero return, so our trading record isn't that good anyway.

Link, we have provided links which state he is 97Kg?

Is this link from 09?

If you go on to the Essendon site there is a section relating to players about 2 thirds of the way down on the left hand side and it scrolls through the players one by one and when it comes to Gumbleton it produces that information, I cut and pasted it from there.

It makes little difference one way or another about the extra 3 kilos he is still, in their words, to light in the body and you can see when he plays he gets pushed aside. Whether he's 94 or 97 or 107 he's simply not strong enough.

Edited by RobbieF

If you go on to the Essendon site there is a section relating to players about 3 thirds of the way down on the left hand side and it scrolls through the players one by one and when it comes to Gumbleton it produces that information, I cut and pasted it from there.

It makes little difference one way or another about the extra 3 kilos he is still, in their words, to light in the body and you can see when he plays he gets pushed aside. Whether he's 94 or 97 or 107 he's simply not strong enough.

If its irrelevant why post the same weight twice arguing when others "only" suggest he is 3 kilo's heavier? was the point

Anyway, Gumbleton has alot of potential, isnt "rag dolled" particularly, with some continued football (probably the least likely scenario) he would build some form and extra strength, it would be difficult down this without regular football and with constant injuries

I would never give up Jones, as has been mention by Robbie nobody wants Bate, he struggles for us to start with.....

Gumbleton when fit and living up to potential is easily worth Jones, trouble is he has been in the system for many years and played 22 games, been injured and hasnt delivered upon this talent and promise, Essendon wont give him away, he is worth to much if he happens to come good....

Basically all the reasons most trades dont happen

If its irrelevant why post the same weight twice arguing when others "only" suggest he is 3 kilo's heavier? was the point

Anyway, Gumbleton has alot of potential, isnt "rag dolled" particularly, with some continued football (probably the least likely scenario) he would build some form and extra strength, it would be difficult down this without regular football and with constant injuries

I would never give up Jones, as has been mention by Robbie nobody wants Bate, he struggles for us to start with.....

Gumbleton when fit and living up to potential is easily worth Jones, trouble is he has been in the system for many years and played 22 games, been injured and hasnt delivered upon this talent and promise, Essendon wont give him away, he is worth to much if he happens to come good....

Basically all the reasons most trades dont happen

I said I got it from the Essendon website did you look where I suggested? I cut and pasted it from there so whether your version is right or mine is I don't know and to tell you the truth I don't really care.

It's not that important.

Simple fact is I wouldn't want another weak bodied forward at the club we have enough already.

No thanks. As others have said already is too light, and even more damning IMO, is a horrible kick. Can take a big mark but is horrible below his knees, not a great set shot, and gets rag dolled ala Jack Watts circa 2010. A big NO unless it were a deal for deadwood like Bate or Dunn (which they wouldnt take anyway). So it's simply a no.

The question: Is the time right to trade?

Have we built our list with enough young players to now start trading for players? Collingwood largely built their list before they purposefully traded to fill specific weaknesses with specific players like Ball, Brown & Jolly.

Not that trading should be ruled out. I mean, what if Carlton said "Here, have Judd; we'll take Jones"? It's not going to happen, but you would do the deal - every player has his price. If a super trade falls in your lap, you take it. Brock for pick 11 comes to mind.

Speaking of price.

James Hird would admit to having park sex with Megan Gale before he traded Gumbleton for Bate.

PS: If, as mentioned on the Rumour File, Ross Lyon ends up coach, can we expect a swathe of trades for players like Peake, Gardiner, Schneider, Dempster and ....... gulp, Lovett?

If Gumby's fit and ready to go in 2012, I would do the trade with Jones.

Yes Jones is a great clubman, nuggety fella who gets in and has a dip. But he's not A-grade, often makes poor decisions and he is replaceable.

What we'll need come future September campaigns are two quality key forwards who can take pack marks and bring the ball down for the crumbers. Think Cloke/Dawes, Buddy/Roughy, Brown/Bradshaw.

Getting that aspect right is worth sacrificing a Jones type for.

Watts/Gumbleton would be a seriously dangerous duo for the next 7 or 8 seasons.

Edited by Range Rover

His injury history turns me off. If we could trial him over the pre-season and pick him up in the PSD then he is worth a look, but not in a trade for an established player.

That said this is all hypothetical. Who knows what the new coach will do re the playing list.

If Gumby's fit and ready to go in 2012, I would do the trade with Jones.

Yes Jones is a great clubman, nuggety fella who gets in and has a dip. But he's not A-grade, often makes poor decisions and he is replaceable.

What we'll need come future September campaigns are two quality key forwards who can take pack marks and bring the ball down for the crumbers. Think Cloke/Dawes, Buddy/Roughy, Brown/Bradshaw.

Getting that aspect right is worth sacrificing a Jones type for.

Watts/Gumbleton would be a seriously dangerous duo for the next 7 or 8 seasons.

What about the Gumbleton/Ryder combination thats been a force to be reckoned with!

Jones is not an option, trade bait this year includes Morton, Bate, Dunn, Maric and Newton. I would actually take a bag of new Sherrins for the later!

I like where your heading having strong bodies up forward that can take a contested marks but Gumby aint our man. Buthcher would be a perfect fit for where we are at development wise!

Gumbleton's kicking is a worry.

I do generally think RR is on the right track - we're not going to trade in Buddy or Cloke and we're not going to get anyone worthwhile for Bate, Dunn, Maric or Warnock.

Jones is not an option, trade bait this year includes Morton, Bate, Dunn, Maric and Newton.

Jones is not A Grade annd probably never will be. But he's good B or C+ Grade, and even premiership sides have a few of them. His advantage is his body size and toughness around the ball. You leave him in, possibly forever, while we build the silk.

I wouldn't call some of the others 'trade bait'. More like 'delisting bait'.

Guest Gareth Keenan

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/timely-boost-for-bombers/story-e6frf9io-1226121871781

Bombers talking up Gumbleton hitting form just before the end of the season..?

Sounds like he's about to be put on the trade table & they want to up his currency.

No way is he worth Jones, nor is Jones expendable.

I'd sooner trade Moloney.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Yep, duly noted.

I just thought they talked him up a lot, on top of the prospect of bringing him into the side.

Maybe nothing in it.

If we believe Jones is untouchable then so is a Premiership.

Accepting mediocrity has got us where we are today.

Gumbleton would be worth a look but he's not worth much.

If we believe Jones is untouchable then so is a Premiership.

Accepting mediocrity has got us where we are today.

Gumbleton would be worth a look but he's not worth much.

When we look at the comments made towards Jack Watts originally and the query re was he worth a No1 pick and will he make it- one really has to compare him at No1 & Gumbleton at No3 when Essendon picked him up and one must state JW was an outstanding recruit.Although Gumbleton has had many injuries he seems to never get his body right.Too big a risk IMO.