The Fevola vote

tonatopia

Should the MFC draft fevola as a rookie in 2012?  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At least if he leaves Casey our forwards have got a chance at growing....

I couldn't stand another year of this Rubbish.

WYL - I have to ask (as I don't get the opportunity to see any Casey games), what impact has Fev had on our young forwards not being able to develop? From how I have seen it, Cook started the year really well and has dropped off in recent weeks (first season of AFL level - maybe fatigued?), and Fitzy has been injured for a majority of the year. Tom McDonald has been playing in the backline, which for a potential KPF isn't the worst thing for his development (see David Neitz), and has been improving week by week, and will most likely get a run in the 1s before seasons end.

I'm not having a go at you at all, I'm just curious as to how much damage Fev is doing.

FWIW, IF Eade were to get teh senior job, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to throw Fev a lifeline.

And some useless information for you, Fev will be on Celebrity Apprentice (not sure if that's been published, but it will be good for a laugh!).

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone want to change their vote?

Nope.

Across at least the last 2 years we have had one of the best conversion rates in the league for Goals per Inside 50.

That is not our issue; our issue is getting the supply into our forward 50 - Fevola will not help that.

Except, granted, when we are on a fast break after a turn over because we might have a target to kick to for a change (we know fev wont bother running around outside 50 regardless of the state of play) But still no.

To summarise this article published last night

"Fev a Demon?" Niall Seewang, afl.com.au

Apparently it is a bad thing that Melbourne is seen as a sophisticated brand, a "safe and conservative club".

As such a club we don't take any risks when recruiting players.

Therefore we should break the mold, "act like demons" and recruit Fev, even at the risk of damaging the brand, because getting a few "W's" is more integral than say securing a 6 million dollar sponsorship deal.

(Not that i don't agree, i think that winning games is the first and foremost priority to a club, but there is a bigger picture to consider too, eg. loosing games to obtain #1 draft picks as an example)

But while Fev could potentially bring these extra W's in the immediate future, "ultimate success" and the future performance of the club is not so important, so long as Fev has had positive impact during his time at the club.

I disagree vehemently and as i said above i doubt even his ability to bring any extra W's to our team next year. Although Jurrah might enjoy using him as a step-ladder

Edited by Trengove

But thats just it Jack. We don't want a Quick - FIX. We want a bandAid for 2 years. to do precisely what you just stated he's doing now & this year @ Casey.

The worst thing we could do is recruit a Coleman medalist. We don't want or need our team to become Reliant,,, on a aging tall forward, but what we need is one who'll guide our Young forwards, and ease the scoreboard pressure.

And one who'll absorb some of the oppositions defensive focus.

Would you prefer Newton or Fev as a rookie? Fev has form,but he's shown he can keep his nose clean.

Matty Bate is a VFL Killer and we have people calling for his head. Bate chases and tries his hardest and people get frustrated. Imagine the the frustration you will feel when Fev gives up a chase after 3 steps!

I wish Fev the best because he is a local boy, but the GWS is his best option if he wants a few more seasons in the Bigs.

If we did, presumably it would be with either a PSD or rookie pick. I can't imagine he would survive to the rookie draft. If we picked him, he would last 2 years max? Are we going to be a GF chance in the next 2 years? Answer: probably not. He would probably help win a couple of games next year and may well teach our young forwards how to play that position, but we must also remember that when older players reach their use-by date it often happens quite quickly? here is no guarantee that we would get two or even one year of quality footy from him. We would have used up a draft pick on a possible player of the future.

If we did, presumably it would be with either a PSD or rookie pick. I can't imagine he would survive to the rookie draft. If we picked him, he would last 2 years max? Are we going to be a GF chance in the next 2 years? Answer: probably not. He would probably help win a couple of games next year and may well teach our young forwards how to play that position, but we must also remember that when older players reach their use-by date it often happens quite quickly? here is no guarantee that we would get two or even one year of quality footy from him. We would have used up a draft pick on a possible player of the future.

We might get 6 years out of him. Remember ablett and Lockett.

Lockett retired at 33. Fevola will be 30 at the start of next year.

Unless you are talking about Lockett's 3 extraordinary games in 2002 comeback, after which he promptly retired as an old man.

Ablett retired at 34. He was also Gary Ablett. And the game was different when he retired in 1996, because he was allowed to just stand in the goalsquare and wrestle. That doesn't happen anymore.

This is aside from the many other factors against Fevola, such as culture and that he's taking a spot (and a draft pick) away from a kid that we really need to get the experience.

It's just not a good idea.

I'm not worried about whether he'd be around for a flag tilt or not, nor the ultimate cost if he went off the rails again - he'd be on sfa and we could jettison him as quickly as we got him.

I just don't see him stepping up at AFL level in 2012 for varying reasons. That alone makes it a simple 'no' for me even before weighing up the risk factors.

I'm happy for him that he is getting some sort of fulfillment at VFL level and would be open to having him as a key forward coach down the track if he's matured a bit (people may scoff but his kicking technique, reading of the play and body work are exceptional), big 'if' though.

There's no way Fev will end up at Melbourne gang. I'd be happy to take any wagers on it.

Garry stated this clearly when asked on SEN over the weekend.

Garry doesn't speak double talk as someone else would have me believe on here. He's a straight talker when it comes to footy so i believe it when he says the MFC isn't interested and is more than comfortable with it's forward stocks atm.

Short term contract with a behavioral clause or not... IMO it's way too risky for the MFC anyway. We're a very nice conservative club who takes very few risks outside of the accepted norm and this is no exception.

Don't waste your breath guys. Hopefully this thread will be closed shortly. Time to move on to more salient issues.

Guys, we're a bottom four team at the moment (as far as the way we're playing). There's no point taking Fev. Even if he is reformed and comes back at his brilliant best it isn't going to salvage the situation. Best not to take the risk and keep playing the kids.

We will PLAY like a bottom four team for the rest of the season. When structures change, players need to learn new structures and as such their skills suffer. It isn't a coincident our skills have sucked over the last month....doy! With a new coach and new structures learnt over the preseason I expect to see our skills from round 5 on dramatically improve as we storm towards top 8.

NO NO NO, the man is an imbecile and we want honest, passionate, talented young future stars.................not ruptured bandaids. P155 0ff Fev.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Lyon and Schwab have both declared that Fev is definitely not in the club's plans.

Sounds pretty concrete to me.

But knock yourselves out guys...