• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Clean Out

_becks_

Not too early.

Bate, Dunn, Warnock to go. Maric maybe.

Rookies released except for Nicho and Evans.

Sylvia and Morton to be re-signed but if they don't agree, traded for ready made players.

Scully - we will see.

Bennell, Batram, and Davey kept.

I'm inclined to agree, except I'd hang onto Kelvin Lawrence as well.

And I'd happily see Sylvia or Morton go (provided they don't want to stay) in return for that 17 year old draft pick.

Jaeger O'Meara looks real nice, as does Liam Sumner.

I'm not advocating more blinkered mining of draft picks, but you can't pass up elite talent.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're a lone hand on the Bartram one. I think the club will keep Dunn and Warnock for another year as back up for experience and size. It's more a case of waiting for the young talls to come on. No good denuding the list before they can step up.

Given that the club will want to offload the contracted Bate and possibly the contracted Dunn, it's unlikely that they'll also offload the contracted Bartram. From a list management POV you want limit of contracted players you show the door to.

And there's absolutely no way known the club will retain Warnock. Uncontracted player who has played the last two years at Casey. When spots are at a premium (which they always when list sizes are fairly small) and you're 26 and can't get a game, then you'll be the first whose name gets the pen through it. And would Warnock even want to stay to play out another year at Casey?

Addam Maric will be name number two crossed off the list.

Those are the no-brainer decisions. After that is when it gets interesting.

I'm assuming Sylvia, Morton and Scully will all be re-signed. Where I'm interested in is what we do with the contracted deadweight. Bate is certainly gone - there's just no way we can carry him for another year if we're not intending to play him, contracted or not. If it were up to me I'd send Dunn the same way, but I don't expect that the club will agree unless we can somehow engineer a trade, and I don't see that happening.

We will probably need about 5 draft picks at least:

2 for Evans, Nicho upgrade

1 first round

1 scully compensation (2nd to be held)

1 second round pick

Bate: delist

Warnock: Delist

Maric: Delist (a little unlucky)

Scully : GWS

Sylvia : trade

Morton: Trade or delist

I reckon Dunn and Batram will unfortunately survive as back up. Id like to see Jetta and Bennell given 1 more year.

Strauss rookie list?

God, where do we start with this jaffa?

1. Nicholson and Evans have been retained on the rookie list for another season haven't they? They aren't going to be elevated to the senior list are they? That's how I read the contract signing.

2. We need to make at least 3 changes to our list. I'm pretty sure Maric will be in a bit of trouble, and I think Warnock will probably request a trade. While Bate is still contracted for next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he is given the flick (and is worth zilch in terms of trade value). Only thing I can see saving him would be IF Scully is to go, and that's a bloody big IF.

3. I'm not sure about Sylvia. The new coach would want to have a good chat with him.

4. You would not delist Morton. If anything, I would try and trade him to the GWS. They have a lot of 1st round picks that I could see them giving one up for him (would be a late first-rounder).

5. Bartram isn't a bad player. is disposal hurt us a fair bit yesterday, but I think he will still hold a spot for the next 12 months at least. Dunn, I'm not so sure, but I think he is safe for 2012.

6. There is no benefit in dropping Strauss to the RL. At this stagee, he will have all of next year off, and will be placed on the LTI, meaning we can upgrade a rookie (Nicho, Evans, FEV?).

Theres every benefit to dropping Struass to Rookie list .. its cheaper. Itll take him most of next season to get back to scratch...and /or find a spare spot in team. if he does come good ... re-ssign him..If not..well ..

Leave the LTI..for those that get injured next season/nab etc.. LTI's would still be entitled to their normal base contracted salary. Why pay that to someone who IS going to sit out most of the year then play the magoos ? Hard yes, realistic..of course. It is a business after all.

I'd like to see at the very least Morton, Bate & Warnock gone.

this is another reason why we should have stand alone 2nds warnock has played all year at casey and will win their b&f has not been given a fair go should have played a number of games on the bullies that have pushed a side rivers garland and others we wont have to delist him he'll already be going probable with baby brother

Edited by deewakka

I think Wona's on shakey ground too

Bate Delist

Sylvia Probably will request a transfer

Morton keep (he frustrates me too, but he gets in the right places, needs some confidence to start making good choices with the ball)

Scully GWS (doesn't look interested ATM)

Davey Keep (but if we do, he has cashed in all his brownie points)....MInd you should not play another game this year is obviously injured and afraid to re-injure)

Warnock Delist

Maric keep (still young and deserves another go)

Theres every benefit to dropping Struass to Rookie list .. its cheaper. Itll take him most of next season to get back to scratch...and /or find a spare spot in team. if he does come good ... re-ssign him..If not..well ..

Leave the LTI..for those that get injured next season/nab etc.. LTI's would still be entitled to their normal base contracted salary. Why pay that to someone who IS going to sit out most of the year then play the magoos ? Hard yes, realistic..of course. It is a business after all.

So, as he is still contracted for 2012, would that mean we'd have to pay his contract out? Then expect him to hang around on the RL, with the hope that at the end of next season we will re-draft him? Great culture building that would be.

Also, what are the rules of nominating for the Rookie Draft? Do you have to have nominated for the National Draft first, then the pre-season draft, or can you just nominate for the rookie draft?

I'm pretty sure there would be rules regarding the whole primary list/rookie list dealings. If not, it could mean that if a team didn't want to delist anyone (lucky them!), they could delist 3 players and pick them straight up in the rookie draft, but then promote 3 rookies through the national draft. Kinda like going around in circles.

I think you'll agree that my first point will explain why demoting Strauss isn't a smart move.

Edit - you can actually make that a 2 year pay out as Strauss is contracted until the end of 2013. Even smarter move now!

Edited by billy2803

Is Bate & Bartram contracted past this year.Please advise..

Contracted to End of 2011

Tom Scully

Addam Maric

Cale Morton

Matthew Warnock

Austin Wonaeamirri

Joel Macdonald

Jack Fitzpatrick

Brad Green.......... (Upgraded to Veterans List)

Colin Sylvia

Stefan Martin

Contracted to End of 2012

Rohan Bail

Clint Bartram

Matthew Bate

Jamie Bennell

Sam Blease

Lucas Cook

Troy Davis

Lynden Dunn

---------------- +++++

Edited by dee-luded

So, as he is still contracted for 2012, would that mean we'd have to pay his contract out? Then expect him to hang around on the RL, with the hope that at the end of next season we will re-draft him? Great culture building that would be.

Also, what are the rules of nominating for the Rookie Draft? Do you have to have nominated for the National Draft first, then the pre-season draft, or can you just nominate for the rookie draft?

I'm pretty sure there would be rules regarding the whole primary list/rookie list dealings. If not, it could mean that if a team didn't want to delist anyone (lucky them!), they could delist 3 players and pick them straight up in the rookie draft, but then promote 3 rookies through the national draft. Kinda like going around in circles.

I think you'll agree that my first point will explain why demoting Strauss isn't a smart move.

Billy if hes stil contracted then he stays that way. He'll just receive his basic pay. Im corrected.. thought he might have finished up this year. ..hence ABLE to be rookied.. He cant ( if contracted)

Joel Mac must be re-signed.

I would keep Wonaeamirri over Morton.

Bate can go, I like Maric but he will probably go.

Would like to keep Sylvia under a good coach.

NFI what Scully is doing.

quite sage..

However it will worry me if a coach is really the answer for good ol' Col. On the face of it ..theres a logic, but for me if you cant find the where withall within to aspire to be your best in a filed your priviledged enough to do and be wel lrecompensed for then ..well.. you really ought not be there.

Anything we do that effects the players Welfare like this, must be OK with the playing group as a whole. When juggling a young players situation, we have to maintain the kids security, & that of the playing group.

Many clubs have broken the trust between Club & players when dealing badly with a fallen Comrade. see: Joel Smith & the Saints.

All well and good but we are NOT a beneficial society. Some calls have to be made. Its all very well for players to uyp and go..but hey..bugger a club if it looks out for itself. Im sure the club will work out the most workable solution...for the club

As this thread deals with comings as well as goings, I notice Kane Cornes at 28 is no longer required at Port... he was winner of their best and fairest last year and I am wondering whether there would be any value in the club going after him as a player with some experience. I really don't care one way or the other, but I thought I would throw it out here for comment anyway.

As this thread deals with comings as well as goings, I notice Kane Cornes at 28 is no longer required at Port... he was winner of their best and fairest last year and I am wondering whether there would be any value in the club going after him as a player with some experience. I really don't care one way or the other, but I thought I would throw it out here for comment anyway.

I Like your thinking - Fev & Kane Cornes would add the experiance we desperately need for the next two years.

It was the 1st thought I had when I heard this news on SEN today.

I Like your thinking - Fev & Kane Cornes would add the experiance we desperately need for the next two years.

It was the 1st thought I had when I heard this news on SEN today.

Well, on the AFL site there is now an article where Primus is refuting that report and stating that Cornes is a required player for next season... however, I get the feeling that Primus may not be a required coach at Port next year, so I'm not sure his opinion will carry too much weight.

It is a business after all.

But it has to be an ethical business. You cannot morally, or most probably legally, sack or demote a player to less than base wages when they've just broken their leg playing for you. Especially one who still has a contract to run. It would be about as ethical as sacking a woman the moment she told you she was pregnant.

Edited by maurie

i think we need to focus on the guys who have spent to much of the year at Casey.

Bate, Jetta, Newton, Campbell,

I think a new coach, would like a chance to work on Dunn, Morton, Maric & Wona

i think we need to focus on the guys who have spent to much of the year at Casey.

Bate, Jetta, Newton, Campbell

Two of those (Newton, Campbell) are on the rookie list and make no space whatsoever. Newton won't get a further year, but there's no great cost in retaining Campbell.

Yeah, see how his body is holding up and go from there.

He is the second type of bloke I would go after.

The first would be 23-27 year old guns with good heads, the second are 28-30 year old pros with really good leadership skills.

A run with player I think, not a ball winner or creator. I don't think he's what we need.

We need hardarsed ball winning Mids who go through other mids like a steam train. And smart link mids, I think Gysberts comes in here, But as well, we need a to find a 'Craig Bradley' type...

But it has to be an ethical business. You cannot morally, or most probably legally, sack or demote a player to less than base wages when they've just broken their leg playing for you. Especially one who still has a contract to run. It would be about as ethical as sacking a woman the moment she told you she was pregnant.

Dear Maurie...did you catch the bit a little earlier where I said..in answer.. If hes still contracted then he remains so ? Ans if so he'll only get his base contractual salary..as obviously theres no match payments.. Stil lin lieu al lhis meds are catered to.

Edited by belzebub59

I tell you what, I might be in favour of this particular move.

Much better than Fevola.

But he'd take a spot on our list that I don't think we'd want to spare - maybe we could kill 2 birds with one stone, and in a trade for Cornes send Port a Bate or Dunn, as they are both under contract?

Edited by e25

I think it is about time to have a look at our list and really decide who we need to delist at the end of the year. Scully is gone. I think that one of Sylvia or Morton will most likely go as well. Maric, Wonaemirri will be delisted, then possible signed as rookies. Warnock will ask for a trade. Hopefully we re-sign Martin, MacDonald, Fitzy and Green.

Contracted to End of 2011

Tom Scully

Addam Maric

Cale Morton

Matthew Warnock

Austin Wonaeamirri

Joel Macdonald???

Jack Fitzpatrick

Brad Green.......... (Upgraded to Veterans List)

Colin Sylvia

Stefan Martin

As for the rookies...Evans and Nicho have been offered another year. Campbell, Newton, McNamara will not. We do not need any more ruckman. Newton has had his chance, ditto for McNamara. I think that Lawrence will get another chance, not sure about Johnston.

Rookies

Campbell, Robert

Evans, Michael

Johnston, CameronLawrence, Kelvin

W. McNamara, Tom

Newton, Michael

Nicholson, Daniel

As for the rookies...Evans and Nicho have been offered another year. Campbell, Newton, McNamara will not. We do not need any more ruckman. Newton has had his chance, ditto for McNamara. I think that Lawrence will get another chance, not sure about Johnston.

Not the year for a cleanout unfortunately. We get rid of a bunch of spuds for what?....... More spuds. Our first pick will be what, 35?? Not saying we can't pick up a good player but a raft of them. Na.h

Not the year for a cleanout unfortunately. We get rid of a bunch of spuds for what?....... More spuds. Our first pick will be what, 35?? Not saying we can't pick up a good player but a raft of them. Na.h

Davey > If he wants New fortunes & horizons, I'd look at it.

Warnock to the Hawks for their (2012) 2nd Rnd Pick?

Bate > ???????

Sylvia, if he wants to go > ?????????

Newton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wonnaeamirri >>>>>> rookie?????

Morton > Needs a change in direction > I'd trade him on, we need to harden Up & I don't think were good for one another. Trade for like value.

Maric >>>>>>>>>>>>>> trade

McNamara >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edited by dee-luded