Dean Bailey has been sacked

EVIL DEE

Trudders I am tired of this whole saga. ( I have said this elsewhere but here goes again )

TS is a second year player, he has ability but he has hardly played this year.

He has what is quite obviously a serious and may be career affecting injury.

On top of that he has limitations eg. is only an average kick.

IMO he is worth a reasonable contract not an over the top contract.

Give him a good deal and if GWS is better then good luck Tom.

We will have his salary plus 1 or more draft picks to use in the next couple of years.

Enough of the friction this is causing.

Yep, agree!

However, Dean, sorry it had to happen like this. You seemed like a good bloke (and they'll welcome you with open arms into the ever expanding "sacked coaches club")

Thanks for your efforts Dean.

I have no doubt that you did your utmost for the club we all love.

Could we not have given him the option to stand down tomorrow? Or would he not have done so.

Hopefully he got the chance to fall on his sword, eg Craig.

Presumably he chose not to. Good luck getting another job Bailey.

What happens if we make finals? We could come out and roll Carlton next week (you know the humiliation/new coach thing) and its not a far fetch that we win our last three. Think Bailey should have been given the year to coach out if you want to get a Malthouse or Roos this isn't the way to get it done.

As others have said, it had to happen.

Results like yesterday cannot be allowed to slide, and this does hurt the players in some respect as many of them claim to be supporters of his, and declaring support for him...........now they all individually face earning the respect and support of a new coach all over again.

I've really like the way Bailey respresented the club as coach, and it's tough to see what appears to be a terrific bloke get the bullet.

But after the West Coast game this year, he had lost me, and longer term this is the right call for the club.

Bailey had to go. I think in the cold light of day when everything is done and dusted he will think it is best for both parties.

He shall be remembered though for staying the course in 2009 and put rebuilding the MFC list first before his own job.

Brad Green tweeted about an hour ago:

"Our performance was unacceptable, the players take full responsibility... Be strong red and blue"

I don't agree that DB should have been sacked so close to the end of the season. He seems to have been made scapegoat for the disaster yesterday even though the players are behind DB. To my mind there is more to this. For CS to also get the chop is the major mystery. He is very close to Jim yet he is gone. What has he done that makes his position so untenable. Chris Connolly is also close to Jim and Gary yet he seems to have gone as well. Not even his friendship with them has saved him. Something has happened to force the board to sack them both. It cant just be what happened yesterday on the footy field because neither Chris or Cameron should have had any bearing on the football department.

Could it be Cameron's handling of the Tom Scully situation that has forced the Board's hand.

This is a sad day.

I feel for Bailey, but in the end, the job was beyond him.

Let's hope we get to know the full story of what is going on, in the next few days, from the club - before the media. So, far it has been the other way around.

Before we all cry out for a Malthouse, Matthews, Eade, Roos to come to our rescue, I think we should look at our track record with high profile coaches since 1964. There have been many of them - even our prodigal son RDB. Unfortunately, they all failed.

The only coaches to get us near a flag (Northy & Danahier) were both in the "minor" league when we selected them. Look at the job both the Scott brothers are doing (albeit one has a Rolls Royce list and the other a Holden ute - even if it has some excellent potential. With the club in such obvious turmoil would Mick or any of the other star candidates want to come over to us ?

We probably have little alternative than to go for a "new" coach.

Can Viney fill that role - as is so often pointed out about Roos at the Swans?

At least he understands the club culture and is deeply involved in these events.

Forget finals.

The next 5 weeks should be about giving Viney and the other assistant coaches a chance to prove themselves.

Who knows, they might even have a game plan that works - they know the players well enough.

Sad day for the club, the players disgraced the club, the supporters, and the coach. The last part of that has been the biggest victim of all.

It was the right call, Bailey has clearly lost the players, but it certainly doesn't make it any better or easier.

Thanks for some interesting memories Dean, and I'm genuinely sorry it had to end like this.

Bailey Had to go. He was as good as gone at years end, no point waiting.

The players are a disgrace, the leadership group especially. They need to dig deep till the end of the year and decide if they want to play for MFC.

In regards to a new coach, our playing list has been treated with kid gloves for far too long. We need someone tough, someone who will light a fuse under the playing list, someone that scares them a bit. There is no one connected with MFC that could provide that as far as I know, we need to look elsewhere.

I really liked what Dean Bailey did for the club (in some respects), but the correct decision has been made.

All the best Dean, I'm disappointed that things ended so abruptly, but at the end of the day, for this club to get back to the top, it has to be with someone else at the helm.

Watch us [censored] the Blues this week. I can sense it.

I don't agree that DB should have been sacked so close to the end of the season. He seems to have been made scapegoat for the disaster yesterday even though the players are behind DB. To my mind there is more to this. For CS to also get the chop is the major mystery. He is very close to Jim yet he is gone. What has he done that makes his position so untenable. Chris Connolly is also close to Jim and Gary yet he seems to have gone as well. Not even his friendship with them has saved him. Something has happened to force the board to sack them both. It cant just be what happened yesterday on the footy field because neither Chris or Cameron should have had any bearing on the football department.

Could it be Cameron's handling of the Tom Scully situation that has forced the Board's hand.

I am very much with this line of thinking (the latter part of it).

Edited by Range Rover

Does Leigh Matthews want to coach again?

His fellow panel members on the 7 Footy Show today were pushing him as a suitor. He was VERY eager to laugh it off and make the point "No No NO!!!...there's no way i'm coaching"

Can't see the Pies letting Malthouse off the contract hook at least for next year. They'll pay him huge $$ just to insure he doesn't go elsewhere in the first year of Buckley's takeover i reckon.

I'd like to think we might have a stab at Clarkson but i can't see him leaving the Hawks at this point given his performance to date. Maybe Eade depending on what happens to the Doggies in the last 4 rounds from here.

The field of top end choices is thinning by the week unfortunately.

Trudders I am tired of this whole saga. ( I have said this elsewhere but here goes again )

TS is a second year player, he has ability but he has hardly played this year.

He has what is quite obviously a serious and may be career affecting injury.

On top of that he has limitations eg. is only an average kick.

IMO he is worth a reasonable contract not an over the top contract.

Give him a good deal and if GWS is better then good luck Tom.

We will have his salary plus 1 or more draft picks to use in the next couple of years.

Enough of the friction this is causing.

fair enough fair enough..... more a reflection of the clubs decision rather then the 'saga'.

It wasnt clear (in fact far from it), but i stated that as i reckon this is a poor decision by the club. In my opinion we should've waited until seasons end... It just leaves our whole club in a mess, and as the confidence dwindles so does our performance. And inversely proportional to this is the growth in appeal of joining a new club.

Scully's decision is suddenly tilted towards GWS because now our club is back into a gloomy state. Not to mention he was close to bailey, and therefore him leaving tilts the scales even more.

Sack the coach because we dare not think that the players we have are rubbish.

No mate, sack the coach because he chose the players (which i think he did a reasonable job at) and gave them the attitude and game style they play with (which is quite obviously not up to standard)

Moving on......

Bailey had to go. I think in the cold light of day when everything is done and dusted he will think it is best for both parties.

He shall be remembered though for staying the course in 2009 and put rebuilding the MFC list first before his own job.

Brad Green tweeted about an hour ago:

"Our performance was unacceptable, the players take full responsibility... Be strong red and blue"

Well put.

I would also say Brad should have done an extra tweet and said HE as Captain takes responsibility as well.

Therefore he will stand aside as Captain, immediately.

"As I drove in today, I was listening on the radio about how clubs were going to go after Mick Malthouse and Melbourne this and Melbourne that and all the rest of it," McGuire said at an MCG function before the Essendon game.

"Let me just say it once - Mick Malthouse is contracted to the Collingwood Football Club and we're an $85 million business these days, we're not mucking around.

F*&k off Eddie

The only coaches to get us near a flag (Northy & Danahier) were both in the "minor" league when we selected them. Look at the job both the Scott brothers are doing (albeit one has a Rolls Royce list and the other a Holden ute - even if it has some excellent potential. With the club in such obvious turmoil would Mick or any of the other star candidates want to come over to us ?

We probably have little alternative than to go for a "new" coach.

Whoever we get it has to be someone who understands the first battle they will face is changing the culture of the club/team. We need a no-nonsense hard-arse someone who will grind some discipline and hate-to-lose mentality into the players/club.

This was the right decision for the club. They needed to take action and thankfully they did.

The next step is to make an example of the leadership group starting with Green.

Green can smirk on camera, abuse 1st year rookies who are having a crack and state on Twitter that 'it was unacceptable' He should take responsibility for the results and hand back the captaincy. If he doesnt take responsibility and hand it back it should be taken. Everyone senior player needs to be put on notice.

Guest Guy Rigoni

How's that?

Even though many didn't agree with it he cut alot of dead weight (ie Junior*, Bruce, Miller etc) that the club was carrying, in order to develop a team that could at least contend for finals in the future. Dean probably cost himself alot in the win/loss ratio by playing so many 18/19/20 year olds.

Unfortunately for Dean his legacy will be marred by his win/loss and what has happened recently, and he will ultimately be forgotten when his hard work comes to fruition

*Not dead weight but needed to go

I posted this on another thread

"Bailey MUST NOT be allowed to coach this weekend, for the very simple reason, with Bailey gone Phscologically the players will be able to take a deep breath say to themselves well that was the old now in with the new the door is open lets start afresh lets wipe the slate clean.

Obviously this requires a Interim coach a person that nows about toughness, and has pride in the club. At the moment of the existing Football Department Todd is the Only one that I believe can do this. Let Todd take them to face Carlton, it will change the atmosphere in the Club rooms, I believe it will change the players response as well as lift a burden of all of them in that are no longer responsible for their coaches Future as that is a issue now past and no longer relevant "

The Administration was left with little or no options for Bailey it is obviously another Humiliating day.

The real question is now who takes over in the Interim, what will be the response of the players

and more to the point

WHO WILL COACH MELBOURNE NEXT YEAR ??????

Also be Interesting if Scully sticks to the claims I heard

No Bailey No Scully

If those claims are true it would now put Scully in a Insedious Position if that is what he honestly believes.

I want people who want to play for Melbourne who have the passion for the Red and The Blue

If he does not have that passion then start doing deals now

If he does have the passion he needs to re sign his contract now.

No need to wait till the end of the season anymore is there???

I don't share the same sympathies as some.

Someone has to be held accountable, and Bailey was on a very good salary to do a job. His job was to coach this team to success, and ultimately a 186-point loss is just simply not good enough.

His sacking is justified imo. There's no rational or irrational decision in this case. When this happens, you don't do nothing. You make someone accountable.