Lyon the powerbroker

warren dean

Just interested at the role Lyon is playing in all of this. He was one of the blokes who appointed Bailey, and clearly jumped off the bandwagon last year. Longstanding mate of Connolly and Schwab - where does he stand with them??

Here's the problem with Lyon, he has his say from afar, it's influential, and we all hear it. But he doesn't have to be held accountable because he's not officially a part of the club.

You can see he's passionate about the club, you can see him showing restraint when trying to appear neutral.

He needs to fully commit, or keep his nose out of our business.

Here's the problem with Lyon, he has his say from afar, it's influential, and we all hear it. But he doesn't have to be held accountable because he's not officially a part of the club.

You can see he's passionate about the club, you can see him showing restraint when trying to appear neutral.

I agree. He either needs to be a Jason Dunstall or a Dermot Brereton. Dunstall is an infuential club director who still managers to commentate but plays a very straight bat when given the curly questions. Brereton stepped away (or was pushed I dont care) and so can now swing more freely when it comes to the hawks. Stynes needs to establish that you can't have it both ways and Garry must decide whether he is in or out. Otherwise he is undermining the club.

Would love for Garry Lyon to get actively involved. He's such a waste of genuine footy leadership hosting that crap program every Thursday night. It's an insult to intelligence. Doesn't mean that he has to coach, but would love to see him make a meaningful contribution to the club rather than playing king-maker behind the scences. We need his leadership one way or another.

Agree

Come on Gary ... you don't want to coach - fine .... but join the Board as Footy Director. You have a big say behind the scenes : come clean - commit

No thanks.

A media personality with a bit of grunt, but isn't a coach, nor is he someone that would be of particular use.

I think he acknowledges this and that's why he'll probably never return to the club.

It's interesting that when people say that Garry needs to make a stand, people still assume that the only way that he can do that is as coach. He has stated constantly that he doesn't want to coach, but I do believe the time has come for him to stop being a background power broker and to take on an official role with the club in some form.

Personally I think the role that he could take on would be something like Director of Football, it's the same role as Dunstall @ the Hawks,.... Jimmy currently is doing this, as I don't think we have many "football" people on our board currently. If Garry took it on it would allow Jimmy to focus on his health again, and the presidency. It shouldn't negatively impact Garry's Media commitments, either.

+ 1,000,000 here

He's entitled to his view as a commentator sure. But as to why he continually involves himself as some sort of muse or powerbroker when the club calls on him i have no idea. Easy stuff when you don't commit and step away after influencing the decisions and watch/criticise from afar. As to why the Club continues to call on him, that's another question in itself.

Sad that he was a part of the process that supposedly overlooked Sheedy in preference for Bailey and now he's played a part in his downfall in the last few days from all accounts.

This club needs to get over the Lyon factor in a big way. His involvement/influence in our appointment of a coach last time around has resulted in a big fail. Lets hope we have sense and maturity enough now to step away from the default position of 'Lets ask G. Lyon for some input' when the big decisions arise from here, including the next appointment!!

Time for the MFC to grow up, grow some balls and move on from G. Lyon for as long as he wont commit to this club.

FFS Gary, stay on the other side and just commentate please mate!!

Edited by Rusty Nails

I made this observation in the Dean Bailey press conference thread but I feel it deserves its own space for discussion:

Thinking about this a little more, perhaps what Jim might be alluding to in regards to support from Lyon is not for Lyon to step in to a coaching role, but to assume the MFC presidency, so as to enable Jim to walk away from the job and focus of his personal challenge, knowing the club is in safe hands. Given Jim's situation, I think he's probably coming to the realisation that he can't keep up his amazing efforts for much longer, but feels a huge sense of responsibility to ensure the club's future. Gary Lyon could then still continue with many of his media commitments as present.

We all overwhelmingly can agree that Stynes has done a marvellous job in the role as president, and to continue despite his difficult illness speaks enormous volumes for his strength, character and love for the MFC.

However, we cannot expect him to continue to do so given his circumstances and I believe that the best thing that Garry Lyon could now do for the club is to agree to a transition agreement to take over from Stynes as president at time in the future that best suits the club and Jimmy. Assuming that Lyon does not wish to pursue a coaching positions, then I believe Lyon would be a perfect figurehead for the club and would be one of the few people that would be capable of following in Stynes footsteps and carrying the torch for the club.

This would still enable him to play an important role in building up a winning culture within the club, without having to deal with all the nitty gritty of the football department (although I'm sure there could be some mentoring roles going begging for Jack Watts and co.). Moreover, given Lyon's presence in the media he would bring his own networks and contacts to help bolster the club's image and sponsorship.

If this plan was put in place and made public then the club wouldn't have to deal with the ongoing questions about his coaching aspirations and could focus on landing the best coach available and other important matters such as player contracts.

Garry I think it's time to step up to help us to steer the ship back towards the ultimate prize :lol:

Edited by Ascobar

I made this observation in the Dean Bailey press conference thread but I feel it deserves its own space for discussion:

Thinking about this a little more, perhaps what Jim might be alluding to in regards to support from Lyon is not for Lyon to step in to a coaching role, but to assume the MFC presidency, so as to enable Jim to walk away from the job and focus of his personal challenge, knowing the club is in safe hands. Given Jim's situation, I think he's probably coming to the realisation that he can't keep up his amazing efforts for much longer, but feels a huge sense of responsibility to ensure the club's future. Gary Lyon could then still continue with many of his media commitments as present.

We all overwhelmingly can agree that Stynes has done a marvellous job in the role as president, and to continue despite his difficult illness speaks enormous volumes for his strength, character and love for the MFC.

However, we cannot expect him to continue to do so given his circumstances and I believe that the best thing that Garry Lyon could now do for the club is to agree to a transition agreement to take over from Stynes as president at time in the future that best suits the club and Jimmy. Assuming that Lyon does not wish to pursue a coaching positions, then I believe Lyon would be a perfect figurehead for the club and would be one of the few people that would be capable of following in Stynes footsteps and carrying the torch for the club. He could still play a role in building up a winning culture within the club, without having to deal with all the nitty gritty of the football department (although I'm sure there could be some mentoring roles going begging for Jack Watts and co.). Moreover, given Lyon's presence in the media he would bring his own networks and contacts to help bolster the club's image and sponsorship.

If this plan was put in place and made public then the club wouldn't have to deal with the questions about his coaching aspirations and could focus on landing the best coach available.

Garry I think it's time to step up to help us to steer the ship back towards the ultimate prize :lol:

Footy Classified will be required viewing tonight....

Garry's always seemed to me to be this murky figure lurching around in the background somewhere. Never actually visible and never held responsible for anything but always seems to have one hand on the wheel. He'll never be coach, but I do wish he'd either put his hand up for an official role or get his finger out of the pie.

Garry's always seemed to me to be this murky figure lurching around in the background somewhere. Never actually visible and never held responsible for anything but always seems to have one hand on the wheel. He'll never be coach, but I do wish he'd either put his hand up for an official role or get his finger out of the pie.

I think that a good point also. Even if he doesn't pursue the coaching or presidency, somekind of official role, whether board member or the like, would go along ways towards clearing the waters on his current standing at the club

It's time for him to join the board and become the football director. That way he has a role within the administration and can provide valuable work to the club. He can continue his media work but stay clear of discussing confidential matters just like Brayshaw, McGuire and Dunstall do pretty well.

He can't continue as is.

That said, anyone calling for him to be senior coach is a fool. Hird stepped in but he had Thompson, Wellman, McCartney and Goodwin placed around him. We can't afford that.

We need good quality assistants but not a gimmick coach who can learn on the job. Lyon will never and should never do it.

Footy Classified will be required viewing tonight....

I must confess i often give it a miss as it all seems so predictable and self serving...but as teh topic of the day is Melbourne Melbourne ...or ....Melbourne...Given Garry's pre eminance , given Cxaros supposed slip ups..that and Itchy will want to niggle caro...and they'll ask Thomo inane quesations it really is a must view...roflmao :)

It's time for him to join the board and become the football director. That way he has a role within the administration and can provide valuable work to the club. He can continue his media work but stay clear of discussing confidential matters just like Brayshaw, McGuire and Dunstall do pretty well.

He can't continue as is.

That said, anyone calling for him to be senior coach is a fool. Hird stepped in but he had Thompson, Wellman, McCartney and Goodwin placed around him. We can't afford that.

We need good quality assistants but not a gimmick coach who can learn on the job. Lyon will never and should never do it.

I agree with this entirely. He needs to, If he wants to be a relevant voice about the club, to become a servent of the club officially.

Be it President after Jim's had enough of it. Or as you say a footy dept' role, director or something.