What is there to be seen in Bennell?

Can somebody please enlighten me what qualities Bennell has that we should be excited about? Normally with kids you can see glimpses of the positive attributes they have which could see them develop in to a good AFL footballer in the future. Unfortunately, with Bennell, I struggle to identify these. Am I missing something??'

He is damn fast with really clean skills. Unfortunately he struggles to find the ball and needs to learn how to win a one on one contest. I'm happy to give him a bit more time to learn that. I was listing much the same negatives about Strauss last year, and look how he's coming along.

He's quick and explosive. I've really been excited about him since last year, although I'll admit that this year he really struggles to get involved. Whether that's due to a poor reading of the flow of the game, or whether he's not hard at who knows. It's a pity. Definitely has shown some...just not consistently. He was great in the wet against the Dogs last year, although Scully's final quarter stole the show.

Big year looms for him next year. Just like many other players, all the kids will start to mature and the squeeze will be on for spots in the 22.

Constantly being the sub has ruined him. I see him as a real barometer. When he's breaking the lines we do well. West coast were hanging to draft him, and I reckon they know a thing or two about finding good players. Worth persisting.

being the sub means casey bound the week after. He just couldn't get into the game against Hawthorn but I don't blame him we were getting smashed in all areas of the ground.

Can somebody please enlighten me what qualities Bennell has that we should be excited about? Normally with kids you can see glimpses of the positive attributes they have which could see them develop in to a good AFL footballer in the future. Unfortunately, with Bennell, I struggle to identify these. Am I missing something??'

I am missing the same things mate.

Outside player, probably be ok at Collingwood were someone could get him the ball.

At the Dees you have to get it yourself.

Even at Casey I do not see him shine.

He is damn fast with really clean skills. Unfortunately he struggles to find the ball and needs to learn how to win a one on one contest. I'm happy to give him a bit more time to learn that. I was listing much the same negatives about Strauss last year, and look how he's coming along.

Pity he does not have the ball when he is "damn fast" and gets it so infrequently the "clean skils" don't mean much.

Bennell has exceptional pace and ball-handling skills, and generally uses the ball pretty well when he gets it. His problem is that he doesn't get to enough contests (some would argue that he avoids them!). While I'm not in that camp, he is definitely an outside player, who needs to work harder at winning his own ball. For me he has been a major disappointment this year, after what was reported to be an excellent pre-season. I see the potential, but it's now time to deliver.

Watch Yarran play for Carlton or Leon Davis for Collingwood, Bennell isn't that good but I feel with some confidence he isn't far off. I'm not sure what he did wrong that moved him out of the small defender position, especially as after a few good games Nicholson seems low on confidence as well now.

I see him as neither a barometer nor an explosive player who can break the lines, but as a player who just can't or won't find the ball enough.

Should sit down and watch videos of Leon Davis every day and try and model his game on him.

There was a debate on here pre-season about whether we gave him a low guernsey number too early and you'd have to say the doubters have been proved right so far.

Bennell has exceptional pace and ball-handling skills, and generally uses the ball pretty well when he gets it. His problem is that he doesn't get to enough contests (some would argue that he avoids them!). While I'm not in that camp, he is definitely an outside player, who needs to work harder at winning his own ball. For me he has been a major disappointment this year, after what was reported to be an excellent pre-season. I see the potential, but it's now time to deliver.

Agree. He must be persevered with though, because we don't have that many players who are quick, can take a good grab, can make a goal out of nothing and can also go down back. He clearly needs to work on his aggression, concentration, application and dedication to his game. I would mentor him over the pre season and explain to him that his current form will see him leave the AFL sooner rather than later and that he has an opportunity to set himself up for life. I am also sure that a little more body development will help. I think he is probably just a timid, knockabout kid who needs a dose of Byron Pickett injected.

Positives: pace, skills

Negatives: strength, courage, workrate, involvement in the play, body language

He has the offensive capabilities but needs to work a lot on his effort and intensity to make it. At the moment he doesn't work anywhere near hard enough and as a result, doesn't get enough of the ball.

good summary dof

Agree. He must be persevered with though, because we don't have that many players who are quick, can take a good grab, can make a goal out of nothing and can also go down back. He clearly needs to work on his aggression, concentration, application and dedication to his game. I would mentor him over the pre season and explain to him that his current form will see him leave the AFL sooner rather than later and that he has an opportunity to set himself up for life. I am also sure that a little more body development will help. I think he is probably just a timid, knockabout kid who needs a dose of Byron Pickett injected.

Yes, he is definitely a keeper at this stage. I like your last sentence ..... I reckon "timid, knockabout kid" is probably a very apt description. I see where you are coming from with the Byron Pickett reference, but I'd settle for an injection of Nev Jetta. Come to think of it, a Bennell /Jetta hybrid, with an engine upgrade, would be a bloody good footballer.

When he does his best stuff he is exhilirating to watch. Along with Sylvia and Scully he is one of our line breakers. Very quick and can kick at full pace. Also, he has shown an ability to tag quick small players. He should have been picked for Rioli last week even though his form was so poor.

1. I reckon he is still a bit intimidated by the physicality of AFL standard footy. From memory he is from the Northern Territory and the footy up there is fast, skillful but not played in an intense physical way.

2. The Dean Bailey game plan that leaves us exposed on the counter attack so often is usually felt mostly by the half back line, where Bennell usually plays

A lot of players these days develop late, even smaller players, some not reaching their best until 23/24. I don't reckon we can wait that long for Bennell but we must persevere with him. Too much obvious skill and potential to dispense with him this early.

1. I reckon he is still a bit intimidated by the physicality of AFL standard footy. From memory he is from the Northern Territory and the footy up there is fast, skillful but not played in an intense physical way.

Jamie was recruited from Swan Districts in WA. I think he played most of his junior footy in a rural area south of Perth.