Brad Green on The Couch

Choko

Just watched Greeny and I don't think he was that bad at all. He didn't look 100% comfortable but as captain he has to be more careful about what he says and it shows. That's probably why he seems a bit uncomfortable.

He didn't inflame anything at all and the only reason Roos finished is sentence was because Sheehan asked a very unfair question. You can't ask a person who has directly replaced someone else about the way it was done, you lose out either way. If you say it was regrettable then you sound like you don't appreciate the opportunity and if you say it was good then you look like a selfish tool.

Chin up Greeny, I cringed less watching you 'on the couch' than I did watching Jolly's overconfidence on the same show.

Edited by mrtwister

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched Greeny and I don't think he was that bad at all. He didn't look 100% comfortable but as captain he has to be more careful about what he says and it shows. That's probably why he seems a bit uncomfortable.

He didn't inflame anything at all and the only reason Roos finished is sentence was because Sheehan asked a very unfair question. You can't ask a person who has directly replaced someone else about the way it was done, you lose out either way. If you say it was regrettable then you sound like you don't appreciate the opportunity and if you say it was good then you look like a selfish tool.

Chin up Greeny, I cringed less watching you 'on the couch' than I did watching Jolly's overconfidence on the same show.

Yeah, valid assessment there mrtwister. Especially re: your take on Roos.

Bottom line though, if there is problems what are they?

Maybe i am being naive, but i thought our new board and club was a united force..is it?

These problems once again waste time, and stronger clubs keep kicking us.

This summer better sort out all this shite...i want to see this club rise, not continually bicker and fall over with excuses.

i don't know any of the inner goings, but as a member i do want to know.

I would say the vast majority, YES, or if it were worse than 2 or 3 in different directions, it would be too difficult to keep inhouse. the fact that they have for all season plus the pre season speaks well of the club. But one or two hurtful mistakes can leave a major ill feeling about the place... I heard about this ill feeling a couple of months back from a players family. It left me a bit concerned, so now we can see there was a push, by some to unseat the Coach early days, IMO, but gradually we pushed that aside.

Drawing the long bow, I wonder if some saw the list and drooled over it as if they wanted to have it themselves to take charge of... or for a mate? I think we collectively canned that from happening, unseating the coach mid season.

and now it looks as though Eddy the Pieman may try to throw a spanner in the works and get tough on Micks contract? throwing Carlton into a swirl... lets see where it all spins to? $$$ buy out???

Anyway, I think wea are still in development mode for one more year, & we'll make the finals next year at the same time. I think it would be a mistake to bring in a finishing coach now, still 12 months too soon.

Overheard a snippet from BT talking to Mike Sheahan about the culture at Melbourne and was there a problem. Sheahan said that the word was that there is a problem between Cameron Schwab and Chris Connolly. Maybe it all stems from how James was given his marching orders last year. From that there are other issues. I thought that Chris had been advised to not get involved in the "coaching" area.I didnt hear the whole conversation, maybe someone else did and I have given it more merit than it deserves.

How does something like this get out. Why can't we keep in-fighting within the Club and get it sorted. Why can other Clubs keep these things out of the press.

If Green was imtimating that the players are not happy with the Club, is it one person or is it a Club policy. You would have thought that the players would have after all this time moved on from how they were feeling about James. Is there an outside influence who used to be close to the Club stirring the pot.

On the other hand I heard Beamer talking after the game on Sunday and was really impressed with his answers. I would think that if Green was honest with himself he would give up the captaincy next year and hand it over to Beamer with VC Frawley and Trengove.

I also thought the question as to whether the media were expecting too much from the group at this point in their development was the toughest question to answer.

No - suggests they are under achieving and takes the media's side

Yes - risks sounding like complacency and tells the media to back off.

He took the hard road, and Roosy backed him up again.

COMMENT:

When you weigh everything up and take various issues into account, seriously something would be wrong if there wasn't some heated discussion or debate. We're on 7.5 wins with erratic performances to date and 6 games remaining with a coach coming out of contract and a decision to be made. We've got the S c u l l y contract discussion being played out and speculated by all in sundry within the AFL media machine, the club handling of it, we've got ongoing list management issues. We're in the middle of a tough month of footy. And then there is the supporters demanding changes and having a say. Big decisions need to be made and processes put in place to address the various issues. We have a young list on the up and still in it's development phase. It might be we are approaching a fork in the road and debate may cover a host of alternatives that determine which way to go for this great club. Whether that be recruiting, drafting needs, new contracts, new coaching personnel. Noses will get put out of joint in any case, at any club this time of year. Buckle up, take a seat and have some faith in your club. We've come this far. Stay the course.

Welcome to football.

Overheard a snippet from BT talking to Mike Sheahan about the culture at Melbourne and was there a problem. Sheahan said that the word was that there is a problem between Cameron Schwab and Chris Connolly. Maybe it all stems from how James was given his marching orders last year. From that there are other issues. I thought that Chris had been advised to not get involved in the "coaching" area.I didnt hear the whole conversation, maybe someone else did and I have given it more merit than it deserves.

How does something like this get out. Why can't we keep in-fighting within the Club and get it sorted. Why can other Clubs keep these things out of the press.

If Green was imtimating that the players are not happy with the Club, is it one person or is it a Club policy. You would have thought that the players would have after all this time moved on from how they were feeling about James. Is there an outside influence who used to be close to the Club stirring the pot.

On the other hand I heard Beamer talking after the game on Sunday and was really impressed with his answers. I would think that if Green was honest with himself he would give up the captaincy next year and hand it over to Beamer with VC Frawley and Trengove.

If its one person, easy solved. But if its two schools of thought, re old boys, and the future direction, then its too tough for even a beloved son to remedy. Not saying anything, but putting a theory out there.

These sorts of things crop up when the estates to be divied up.? Greed? For change, to get a share???? I hope people will put the club ahead of themselves & self interest.

This preseason will be very interesting.

COMMENT:

When you weigh everything up and take various issues into account, seriously something would be wrong if there wasn't some heated discussion or debate. We're on 7.5 wins with erratic performances to date and 6 games remaining with a coach coming out of contract and a decision to be made. We've got the S c u l l y contract discussion being played out and speculated by all in sundry within the AFL media machine, the club handling of it, we've got ongoing list management issues. We're in the middle of a tough month of footy. And then there is the supporters demanding changes and having a say. Big decisions need to be made and processes put in place to address the various issues. We have a young list on the up and still in it's development phase. It might be we are approaching a fork in the road and debate may cover a host of alternatives that determine which way to go for this great club. Whether that be recruiting, drafting needs, new contracts, new coaching personnel. Noses will get put out of joint in any case, at any club this time of year. Buckle up, take a seat and have some faith in your club. We've come this far. Stay the course.

Welcome to football.

Whats it all about??? China & drinking??? Join the dots??? I don't like the way they're pointing.

Whats it all about??? China & drinking??? Join the dots??? I don't like the way they're pointing.

Sorry I thought this thread was about the skipper & his interview. If you're looking for the cryptic section try this...My link

Who else saw Greeny on the couch? Firstly, poor Greeny is a shocking media performer.

More importantly, listening carefully to some of his answers and reading his body language (and his bright red neck), it is absolutely clear that:

1. There is tension between club management and players - Green did not deny it when presented with this week's Herald Sun story, and in fact confirmed it when he stated that there was heated debate. He also said all the PC things about pulling in the same direction, but blind Freddy can see there's problems.

2. He, and the club, are absolutely filthy about James McDonald. Green's reaction was cringeworthy when asked - had to feel for him. He was desperately trying to maintain the party line, but everything he was saying and doing belied it. Eventually he giggled, and Paul Roos felt sorry for him and finished his sentence off!!!

So, 18 rounds in to the next season, and we have some serious issues. Nothing new from my perspective, though many of those here have their heads up their backsides....

No doubt the James McDonald bit had a lot to do with the Bruce departure. Brad has not shown the same fierceness he displayed last season. Not fully happy with MFC admin?

I just watched the interview and I made the mistake of reading this post before I watched it. What's with all the doom and gloom? While i agree Brad isn't all that flash in the media his answers were pretty standard and honest. There must be a lot of body language experts in Demonland. Just because he answered honestly about his disapointment that Junior didn't get another year doesn't mean the club has a serious in fighting problem. All of this makes me more [censored] at Scully's management for trying to justify Tom leaving Melbourne because the footy club has all these problems. His management has diverted the problem back to Melbourne and away from Tom and we have all fallen for it hook,line and sinker.

Some of the "worrysome" comments regarding this interview is way over the top from my point of view.

+1

I agree - a lot of what has been said here is a case of reading between the lines between the lines. Green is no great media presence, but he certainly gave no answers that warrant the kind of reactions in this thread; unless of course, we have a few budding journos in here.

Edited by hardtack

+1

I agree - a lot of what has been said here is a case of reading between the lines between the lines. Green is no great media presence, but he certainly gave no answers that warrant the kind of reactions in this thread; unless of course, we have a few budding journos in here.

Spot on! I can't believe the over the top reaction to a stock standard interview. The sky isn't falling relax a bit people!

+1

I think there is a hell of a lot of delusion if people seriously think that interview wasn't revealing, and if people think that interview progressed the interests of the MFC, they need to think about what Green said.

He could have said the club was united, he could have moved on a lot quicker on the McDonald issue, he could have sold more optimism. He didn't.

I had it taped and now have watched it three times after reading the first half dozen posts and disagree with most of the critical assessments.

I will concede Greeny didnt look natural in front of the camera's but I will bet my bottom dollar that he was sat down with the media manager and run through 100 possible questions he would be asked and in my opinion he fielded them well.

Basic rule of media is if something is already out in the public domain or likely to get there dont deny it - take it head on and say "yup and its not a problem"

1/ The apparent unrest - it is obviously doing the rounds so Greeny, as all good polly's do, stared them down and said it was healthy debate on differing opinions that happens in all clubs - I have no problem with that. Or would you prefer "the Malthouse camp said this and the Buckley camp said that" which is in every papers and then Malthouse coming out and saying there is no tension between him and Buckley....right....

2/ I thought he handled the Junior question really well - he had no option but to say that he was sad to see Junior go - he would be damned if he said anything else - but he then towed the MFC argument - retaining Junior would be at the expense of getting games into the kids.

Apart from the fact he didnt look relaxed I thought he did ok

I've just watched Brad Green on On the Couch just now and I have no problem with the answers he gave. Like he said there is healthy debate in any club inhouse, and I'd be disappointed if there wasn't blunt accountable discussion within our club.

He expressed personal disappointment that Junior didn't get one more gig, but recognised the clubs stance that had he gone again they wouldn't have been able to get games into a young guy.

Paul Roos was having a go at Sheahan for his question, maybe he realised it was something he shouldn't be answered from a club perspective, but I'd rather that than a contrived PC statement on behalf of the club !

No serious issues at all from a body language perspective, and looked relatively comfortable despite a tad nervous. Nothing to see here IMO.

Some of the "worrysome" comments regarding this interview is way over the top from my point of view.

Saw it and thought similar.

Green is not a brilliant media performer. However its never good to front the media after a bad loss and with the Tom Scully issue hanging over the club.

Some of the hand wringing and the jumping at ghosts on this thread is more disturbing.

Rumour mongering at its worst.

I think there is a hell of a lot of delusion if people seriously think that interview wasn't revealing, and if people think that interview progressed the interests of the MFC, they need to think about what Green said.

He could have said the club was united.

Mick Malthouse has been touting the united line with Collingwood all season - and every Journo in papers and on the TV keep going on about how Malthouse and Buckley are at odds with each other.

If Malthouse said "We have robust debates on coaching issues as is natural and healthy in a club. At the end of the day I'm the head coach and will make the final call. Thats not to say that a lot of Nathan's input is not being implemented. Next year I step down and Nathan takes the reins and as the coaching director I will support Nathan in everything he wants to do as head coach".

Leaves the media nowhere to go.

take home message - if something is obvious - dont deny it - acknowledge it, embrace it and put a positive spin on it.

Edited by nutbean

I havent seen it ( dont worry about cable) But I sense there are two sides , as always to this. Firstly Green is as useful as [censored] on a bull in front of a camera. Its just not his bag. Having said that i would have thought if there were any real juicy offerings from the show that either of the two rags would have loved to run some sort of story about "Dees in Dissaray " etc etc. This hasnt happened so maybe more smoke and little fire.

There is a continuing line though over the months that all is not entirely happy campers at the MFC. Supposedly a lot of staff turnovers , more than a normal level. You do get the idea that the FD iSNT humming along without incidents..

The notion that the players all want Dean is sweet isnt it. Is that because they call feel comfortable with him...maybe all too comfortable ??

I sense theres a lot of spin covering a few misgivings in and around the club.

Its not rosey

??? I thought it was bruising to the knee that kept scully out earlier in the year, therefore being an ongoing thing. What did he try to cover up?

We were told he had bruising due to a knock on the knee, unrelated to his stress injury. It was my understanding that the injury earlier in the year was bruising caused by a stress/overuse injury, caused by his cracked knee cap the year before.

There is a continuing line though over the months that all is not entirely happy campers at the MFC. Supposedly a lot of staff turnovers , more than a normal level. You do get the idea that the FD iSNT humming along without incidents..

The notion that the players all want Dean is sweet isnt it. Is that because they call feel comfortable with him...maybe all too comfortable ??

Its not rosey

And its all rumours. And repeating them does not give them credence or integrity.

And your comments only pedal further rumours that lack any substantive basis.

Yep agree with the tip of the iceberg scenario

I have been hearing from a few decent connected football sources that there are huge internal issues at our great club.

Story is quite a few people in high places dont even speak to each other currently.

HOw we have the ability to implode when we are rebuilding & sitting 10th on the ladder just amazes me.

Sort this crap out now & lets hit 2012 with all personal moving in the same direction.

Oh no the sky is falling!!!!!!!....what a load of twaddle some of this topic is, if you were at the training run on Saturday morning, as I was, you would have seen Viney, Schwab, Connolly and Bailey standing in a group chatting after the session finished, myself and partner got a cheery good morning from Cam Scwhab as we walked back home past the G, perhaps he was looking at which light tower to hang himself from, and that was making him so cheerful

Also the pre game function in Darwin on the Friday night, Connolly, Viney and Schwab all on the same piece of grass without punching each other.

At the moment the Club is an easy target for the media, and as DB said it is a 'blood sport' to some journalists, listen to some of his replies in the video on the website from yesterday, he is over some parts of the media

The Junior Mac issue was buried months ago, Sheahan to sell a couple of papers, has resurrected it, it was handled badly, everybody said so months ago, move on nothing to see here

Greeny is in his first year as captain, he is learning on the job, it is not just the coin toss, why do you think that Beamer and all the rest are appearing in front of camera so often, the Club knows Brad was thrown in deep end without the full exposure to the media, it won't happen again.

My well placed sources tell me only bad news sells newspapers.

Consider this, it would have been quite easy for the Club to say sorry Brad has other commitments and can't make the show.....but it didn't

I just watched the interview and I made the mistake of reading this post before I watched it. What's with all the doom and gloom? While i agree Brad isn't all that flash in the media his answers were pretty standard and honest. There must be a lot of body language experts in Demonland. Just because he answered honestly about his disapointment that Junior didn't get another year doesn't mean the club has a serious in fighting problem. All of this makes me more [censored] at Scully's management for trying to justify Tom leaving Melbourne because the footy club has all these problems. His management has diverted the problem back to Melbourne and away from Tom and we have all fallen for it hook,line and sinker.

I'm in the same boat as you cowboy, I made the mistake of reading (and commenting) on this thread before actually watching it. Now that I have I think that this is a bit of an over-reaction. It is obvious to all and sundry that Greeny is no seasoned media performer, but other than that, there really was nothing to get too worked up about. It was no where near as cringeworthy as when he was on TFS earlier in the year, and really he didn't let anything out of the bag that was of any real concern. Just because he doesn't sprout everything off like your usual AFL Player/Media Machine, doesn't mean that he is trying to cover his tracks, it just means that he has trouble talking in a relaxed and comfortable way in front of the media.

Right now, either Beamer or JT are locks for captain next year based on his media work. He's been so, so, so bad at it, it's really odd from a guy who has generally been pretty good in the past with post-match interviews and such.

Wasnt great but Beamer would have been worse in that situation. Hes not one for the media.

There is so much more to being a skipper that the public side. This is where we need a strong "leadership group" where we can send in any of our senior players

Guest hangon007

I havent seen it ( dont worry about cable) But I sense there are two sides , as always to this. Firstly Green is as useful as [censored] on a bull in front of a camera. Its just not his bag. Having said that i would have thought if there were any real juicy offerings from the show that either of the two rags would have loved to run some sort of story about "Dees in Dissaray " etc etc. This hasnt happened so maybe more smoke and little fire.

Its not rosey

Your senses are way off the mark ... for someone who didn't watch the interview some of your comments are laughable & ignorant.

This place is getting out of control. The "mass" hysteria is just quite, quite sad. You are becoming a bunch of shadow jumpers. Who are looking for some one to blame ... I think I said it elsewhere ... but its becoming a kangaroo court on a witch hunt.

This site could be so relevant & an asset to the MFC, but again sadly the opposite is becoming the case.