ET TU COLIN?

Pinball Wizard

Isn't there an emoticons rule or something in operation, either I am as smart as a plank, or some of the dross that gets posted makes its difficult to differentiate between TIC and serious opinion.

rpfc is above emoticons...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the problem payiong a Scully $600-700 pa. It totally distorts everyone else.

An 8 yr solid player like Col deserves a decent whack (appropriately incentivised)compared to a player with 30 games.

Its his 8th year .. And hes playing pretty good footy at present... but an 8yr solid player ... A bit contrived.

Glad your not in charge of list management. Bang.

Please explain. If Col wants out, then Col wants out. It's up to the FD to secure a fair and reasonable trade. Why wouldn't we throw in Bate to sweeten the deal and get a better player? Unless you think Matthew Bate is an integral part of our drive for a premiership, in which case you've been living under a rock for the past 17 rounds of football...?

Also don't say 'bang'. That's my word. You just look stupid.

Please explain. If Col wants out, then Col wants out. It's up to the FD to secure a fair and reasonable trade. Why wouldn't we throw in Bate to sweeten the deal and get a better player? Unless you think Matthew Bate is an integral part of our drive for a premiership, in which case you've been living under a rock for the past 17 rounds of football...?

Wham!

Guest hangon007

What if Col wanted to be paid what he felt he was worth? Another club was prepared to pay that, whom ever they may be.

How do you propose to negotiate a deal with club x who is prepared to pay him his fair whack, yet you wont. Whats the incentive for the other club to offer you a reasonable trade? If you are not prepared to offer your players a "reasonable" rate in this current climate.

Edited by hangon007

What if Col wanted to be paid what he felt he was worth? Another club was prepared to pay that, whom ever they may be.

How do you propose to negotiate a deal with club x who is prepared to pay him his fair whack, yet you wont. Whats the incentive for the other club to offer you a reasonable trade? If you are not prepared to offer your players a "reasonable" rate in this current climate.

Biff!

This is year one of the Hard Bargain contract...Free Agency Entree so to speak.

We the MFC must pay players what they are worth....Remember that Graph that Schwabby had on the whiteboard last year....Games v Output, where players sat in that equation...6-7-8-9......

Our list of newbies are maturing.....if Col is not happy with the MFC contract...then he will go, we must always try to secure a deal where the MFC comes out ahead....it won't happen all the time, but should always be strived for.

Sylvia has a value, and yes i do rate his worth...but we cannot go beyond that worth.

The same rule applies to Scully.

No doubt some clubs are going to get caught out massively with Salary Cap breaches once Free Agency is bought in, just wait for that one.

Let it not be the MFC...

I hope Colin Sylvia is still with us for season 2012, as Aaron Davey & Brad Green worked out a compromise...so should Colin. (and Tom)

Ok. I might be mistaken, but if a reasonable trade does not arise, then wouldn't (for example) Col Sylvia then only have the option of entering the drafts? If Colin Sylvia entered the drafts, there would be no way he would last until club x's picks. Isn't that the incentive for club x to secure a deal via a trade?

Our list of newbies are maturing.....if Col is not happy with the MFC contract...then he will go, we must always try to secure a deal where the MFC comes out ahead...............

maybe not ahead ...just equal at worst. I mean fairs fair. You dont need to be exploiting players here, just paying due remunerations.

Was this post tongue in cheek??? Still have trouble telling the difference.

It was so tongue in cheek that I saw his tongue protruding through his ear

While Sylvia has had his struggles he is exactly the type of player we need to keep on our list. He has played consistent footy this year, has a strong body is at his age peak and has no great weaknesses.

We should be able to find a way to get a deal done.

maybe not ahead ...just equal at worst. I mean fairs fair. You dont need to be exploiting players here, just paying due remunerations.

Equal at best doesnt always happen either We are going to win on some, square some and lose some. The ones we lose will means we may have to make it up with a win elsewhere.

Juggling at its best.

Yes & No BB....I never want a St.kilda Luke Ball situation at the MFC but if another club wishes to deal for one of our GUNS (flawed occasionally i admit, but he can kick 55metre post high goals), then we need to deal in serious currency.

For DECADES...this club was a retirement package for ex broken champions more times than not.

Equal at worst is exactly what i do mean, we should always aim higher.....from now on.

Free Agency will kill off Nought Melbourne & Footscray within a decade....just you wait.

Last weeks crowd of just 22,000 proved just where they are....

Can anyone explain what the problem is with Col (if there is one). I just cannot trust what I read in the media.

The only figure I've seen that Col wants is $450K (however accurate that is?)

Surely that seems a reasonable amount?

So, is the amount correct? What is he worth?

While Sylvia has had his struggles he is exactly the type of player we need to keep on our list. He has played consistent footy this year, has a strong body is at his age peak and has no great weaknesses.

We should be able to find a way to get a deal done.

Yes we should. But if Colin does not agree to the clubs final offer, he will have to go fishing.

The Club can no longer afford to over extend. Colin has great Talent, but even he would agree that talent is Hot & Cold at times....(His Toe Injury i do not count in that assessment)

I want to see Colin play a blinder in games over the next 4 weeks....then he proves his worth.

Can anyone explain what the problem is with Col (if there is one). I just cannot trust what I read in the media.

The only figure I've seen that Col wants is $450K (however accurate that is?)

Surely that seems a reasonable amount?

So, is the amount correct? What is he worth?

Not sure of the exact numbers DC

The Club can no longer afford to over extend. Colin has great Talent, but even he would agree that talent is Hot & Cold at times....(His Toe Injury i do not count in that assessment)

I want to see Colin play a blinder in games over the next 4 weeks....then he proves his worth.

Unless Colin does a terrible injury then what he does in the next 4 weeks would have to pretty outstanding to suddenly equate to his contract demand. If he plays a blindeer 4 weeks in a row then it proves how inconsistent he has been over the recent years. It wont matter a jiff bar serious injury.

I liked to keep him but if his demands are excessive over what the club is prepared to pay him then they need to do a deal/trade for him.

The Club has shown itself more than accomplished at doing that in recent years.

Unless Colin does a terrible injury then what he does in the next 4 weeks would have to pretty outstanding to suddenly equate to his contract demand. If he plays a blindeer 4 weeks in a row then it proves how inconsistent he has been over the recent years. It wont matter a jiff bar serious injury.

I liked to keep him but if his demands are excessive over what the club is prepared to pay him then they need to do a deal/trade for him.

The Club has shown itself more than accomplished at doing that in recent years.

If we win the majority of the next 4 weeks games, with Colin playing a large part in the outcome....thus setting up a serious Finals tilt, then the incentive clause of a future contract opens up.

For a player like Sylvia i think incentives are a major positive....he needs to see a carrot

The thing I hate about articles like this one is it always comes across as if the club is being unreasonable. Therefore those who are aportioning blame to the administration and just saying "get this s*$t sorted out" are the type of people i'm glad aren't involved in running the club.

What's to say that Sylvia's demands aren't unreasonable, and that the club is actually putting forward a responsible (for the club) and fair offer? These articles are always weighted towards creating pressure on the clubs. I'm starting to wonder whether the sheer volume of articles about melbourne and contract discussions with its players this year is a ploy by the media to try and get Melbourne to talk more openly about club matters given that the club has said on numerous occasions it would not discuss these things in the public forums.

I mean i haven't said any of the other melbourne based clubs have their contract discussions publicized as much as Melbourne's have.

I'm actually encouraged by the clubs "reported" stance regarding contracts. If anything, we can say that they are not willing to overpay players, and that they are also not willing to restrict their future options by over committing now. I think this is an approach that should be applauded not criticized.

I think Rhino almost scores the winner here.. With Col theres this niggle each game as to exactly which one we'll see. He almost single handedly personifies Melbourne.. You couldnt categorise Col as a NQR but more as a NQC....not quite consistent. And thats Melbourne to an M.

Id be quite happy for Col to turn it on for the next month ( year...years ) and if so then he starts as RR suggests to approach his proposed salary.

Maybe performance based is the way to go ( if not already and possibly the sticking point ) X dollars regardless..= Y for evaulated returns .= possible 450 pa ?

then its up to him and we al lwin if so...but we dont pay over the top if not.