Tom Scully

I would argue that the only people that have been "clearly mucked around" and the supporters such as yourself who are insisting he is gone. The club has stated consistently that they are content with the situation as it stands and are happy to wait (yes, I know they have tabled an offer, but they at least, unlike some here, understand that Tom needs time to consider his options).

As for the Brent Moloney "attitude", as you have applied it it displays a distinct lack of knowledge of Sydney and an even greater lack of understanding of where someone on an annual income of $1mil would choose to live in Sydney - it is an antiquated and elitist view of what represents Sydney's "west" (the Rooty Hill cliche is as old as time). What surprises me more is that it comes from someone actually living in Sydney.

Surely you don't honestly think the club is 'content with the situation' and 'happy to wait' ... Dont under estimate the impact this is having on the club, both on field and off.

As for the beamer attitude ... I agree with this view! If Tom Scully doesn't want to play for the MFC then fark off the burbs of GWS and enjoy playing in front of a a few thousand people and a few stray dogs each week.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would argue the list would be even more balanced, with a slightly wider spread of kids, coming on when Moloney Green Davey retire? If we are being targeted for established players it means that we have to much quality on our list, and will receive a trade for such players extending a window further? Geelong lost players, but not the cream... Moloney was decent but him being a MFC supporter helped him get here i believe, and Prismall hasnt come on as expected at all etc

It may end up being one Scully or two Gysberts types essentially extending our depth but lower the top end slightly... honestly we seem to be in a really strong position after all the hysteria etc, our compensation will be stronger than last year due to these 17yo being available

And my preference is still for Scully to stay

Grubby Allan has already stated that all clubs "Better get used to it" GWS are going to hard Bargain...Fine.

The MFC must take the same attitude. The clubs that do neat deal hard from now on....WILL DIE.

Free agency is going to dictate this. So i am very happy to hear that the MFC are pushing hard for 2 Compensation picks if our Number one draft pick of 2009 is taken from us by a soulless AFL corporation...Otherwise we will be forever be like the Tigers who if you look closely have Totally botched their draft choices over the last 20 years....Do the research...Richmond reap what they sow.

Edited by why you little

Guest hangon007

No, because they will not be eligible for FA, let alone unrestricted free agency (which is what this GWS-Free agency has been).

I'm not talking about free agency ... its just a matter of having too much quality in the bottom end age group of your list. Just as we are targeted now ie Scully & Gawn ... due to salary cap restrictions if they improve you would think it will be hard to keep them all.

Others clubs would just target our kids with massive offers, try and get them a year before they blossom & benefit from us wearing the pain in their development years.

I would argue the list would be even more balanced, with a slightly wider spread of kids, coming on when Moloney Green Davey retire? If we are being targeted for established players it means that we have to much quality on our list, and will receive a trade for such players extending a window further? Geelong lost players, but not the cream... Moloney was decent but him being a MFC supporter helped him get here i believe, and Prismall hasnt come on as expected at all etc

It may end up being one Scully or two Gysberts types essentially extending our depth but lower the top end slightly... honestly we seem to be in a really strong position after all the hysteria etc, our compensation will be stronger than last year due to these 17yo being available

And my preference is still for Scully to stay

I agree, the list would be more balanced, in a few years...

If Scully goes ,the plan changes and our finals window moves. 2011/12 would become development years and MFC supporters would have to be a little more patient...

Hopefully Scully stay's....

Surely you don't honestly think the club is 'content with the situation' and 'happy to wait' ... Dont under estimate the impact this is having on the club, both on field and off.

As for the beamer attitude ... I agree with this view! If Tom Scully doesn't want to play for the MFC then fark off the burbs of GWS and enjoy playing in front of a a few thousand people and a few stray dogs each week.

I'm sure the club thinks about it, but I am equally sure it is not having any affect at all on our performances - thankfully the kids that play for the club are far more focused than many of their supporters.

And I'm not sure what the "beamer attitude" has to do with anything, as Scully has said more that leans toward staying than going (go back and read/re-read his presser comments). My comments were directed at the accuracy of the statements.

Grubby Allan has already stated that all clubs "Better get used to it" GWS are going to hard Bargain...Fine.

The MFC must take the same attitude. The clubs that do neat deal hard from now on....WILL DIE.

Free agency is going to dictate this. So i am very happy to hear that the MFC are pushing hard for 2 Compensation picks if our Number one draft pick of 2009 is taken from us by a soulless AFL corporation...Otherwise we will be forever be like the Tigers who if you look closely have Totally botched their draft choices over the last 20 years....Do the research...Richmond reap what they sow.

Gubby Allen's arrogance may come back to haunt him and he may "have to get used to it" when the tide starts rolling the other way and players want to escape his Vegas paradise in 5-6 years time.

Yeah you are correct about free agency, the AFL has opened a big can of worms (not that they had a choice) it is the player rights etc.... but teams with money and who are winning premierships earlier during this period should be able to keep attracting players, also playing finals will be important...sorry Richmond

Also having Schwab as CEO helps, him being part of the rules committee regarding compensation, he knows what we will get really and wont let us get shafted, quite the opposite

Guest hangon007

hehehehehe ... good onya Gubby. It takes two parties too trade. B)

...Otherwise we will be forever be like the Tigers who if you look closely have Totally botched their draft choices over the last 20 years....Do the research...Richmond reap what they sow.

Some would argue it not the drafting thats the problem its their development programs due to a lack of funding inside their football department.

Every club has looked over players for reasons x & y on draft day to to find in hindsight they were wrong a few years later ... granted the "media" point out the massive glaring errors but we all make them.

Guest hangon007

.... but teams with money and who are winning premierships earlier during this period should be able to keep attracting players, also playing finals will be important...sorry Richmond

But if a team is winning premierships how will they attract FA players on large salaries and fit them into their salary caps?

IMHO ... the Free Agency scare campaign is just that ... a scare campaign. Sure it might assist some players get to the club of their choice without all this media crap ... but I think its being over stated by many. AFL had no choice to formalise it ... some would argue we have a default FA now when players nominate the clubs of their choice.

If you look after and RESPECT your players ... human logic says they will do the same to you. However, when you treat them likes pieces of meat and trade them when it no longer suits you, their is a "better" deal elsewhere or they are having a down year ... hello let me guess what they will do to you.

Edited by hangon007

sorry, can someone give it to me in a nutshell.. that article seems to be saying we could end up with pick #1 plus another.. I didn't realise we were talking about pick 1 for the compo, and what exactly would the second pick be?

in any case i'll take that for someone who isn't comitted to us and has question marks over his disposal and his kneee

Guest hangon007

sorry, can someone give it to me in a nutshell.. that article seems to be saying we could end up with pick #1 plus another.. I didn't realise we were talking about pick 1 for the compo, and what exactly would the second pick be?

in any case i'll take that for someone who isn't comitted to us and has question marks over his disposal and his kneee

Jay is dreaming ... their it is in a nutshell.

It makes quite a few "if type" assumptions ...

a/ if we lose Scully

b/ if we definitely get the same compo picks as Geelong for the Ablett deal ie 1 x band 1 & 1 x band 2 compo picks

c/ if GWS will be nice blokes and let us trade the 2 compo picks back to them for two 17YO's ...

d/ if we definitely want 2 more 17 YO's

oh yes ... also even if we do get the 2 comp picks no guarantee other clubs wont outbid us ... all be it being much more difficult. But all good for GWS you would think. B)

Nice propaganda article by GWS .. :o However, I'm sure the "bait" might catch a few short sighted fish.

Edited by hangon007

Guest The Tweed Pig

Jay is dreaming ... their it is in a nutshell.

It makes quite a few "if type" assumptions ...

a/ if we lose Scully

b/ if we definitely get the same compo picks as Geelong for the Ablett deal ie 1 x band 1 & 1 x band 2 compo picks

c/ if GWS will be nice blokes and let us trade the 2 compo picks back to them for two 17YO's ...

d/ if we definitely want 2 more 17 YO's

oh yes ... also even if we do get the 2 comp picks no guarantee other clubs wont outbid us ... all be it being much more difficult. But all good for GWS you would think. B)

Nice propaganda article by GWS .. :o However, I'm sure the "bait" might catch a few short sighted fish.

It's not that far fetched at all. GWS have to trade 4 seventeen year olds born between Jan 1 and end of April over the next two years. They'll be looking for the best deals. I believe it's been reported that they'll probably trade two this year and two next.

Gubby Allen's arrogance may come back to haunt him and he may "have to get used to it" when the tide starts rolling the other way and players want to escape his Vegas paradise in 5-6 years time.

Totally my point...If GWS take the "F#$%^K You" attitude to the next few drafts, then i fully expect the MFC to treat them with much disdain for decades, once the draft evens out.

Guest hangon007

It's not that far fetched at all. GWS have to trade 4 seventeen year olds born between Jan 1 and end of April over the next two years. They'll be looking for the best deals. I believe it's been reported that they'll probably trade two this year and two next.

I'm sure GWS are looking for the "best deal" possible ... best for who? ... hence the nice propaganda article. :)

I've said it elsewhere, but I have a feeling the GWS will most likely trade the 17YO picks to a club that wont want to touch what they want .... ie the club is prepared to draft for needs over "best available" UNLESS the deal is a absolute rip snorter for them.

Edited by hangon007

That is how i see it, GWS must trade 4 picks by the end of the draft....."You want our number one boy-then give us 2 of your 17 year olds"

THANKYOU....next.

But if a team is winning premierships how will they attract FA players on large salaries and fit them into their salary caps?

IMHO ... the Free Agency scare campaign is just that ... a scare campaign. Sure it might assist some players get to the club of their choice without all this media crap ... but I think its being over stated by many. AFL had no choice to formalise it ... some would argue we have a default FA now when players nominate the clubs of their choice.

If you look after and RESPECT your players ... human logic says they will do the same to you. However, when you treat them likes pieces of meat and trade them when it no longer suits you, their is a "better" deal elsewhere or they are having a down year ... hello let me guess what they will do to you.

Point being players can move more freely between clubs, players WILL take a pay cut to win a premiership, lose one premiership player replace with another, rinse repeat, players WILL go to the club they desire, will be a nice way to finish a career

EDIT - finals being the other draw card, teams playing finals over extended periods

Edited by Jordie_tackles

Yes sorry, the way i read it was trading Scully not the picks, agree

Cool, the club should win either way....personally we do not need to "bank" draft picks. We need them now, particularly if Tom decides to leave.

Shifter Sheahan i heard on the radio not long ago saying the first 20 picks this year are all Top Shelf. If we score 2 of them with Jack Viney, then we are doing fine.

Because they must deal 4 of their 17 year olds.....if we have 2 first round picks to deal as compensation they would be fools not to listen.

Especially 1st round picks good for use in any of the next 5 years - they're not going to trade for 2011 1st round picks - they've already got heaps. We'd be competing against player trades - I think it's a very good angle.

Especially 1st round picks good for use in any of the next 5 years - they're not going to trade for 2011 1st round picks - they've already got heaps. We'd be competing against player trades - I think it's a very good angle.

Yes, whether it will get you two of those 17 year olds is another story.

And whether we want more kids is another...

Yes, whether it will get you two of those 17 year olds is another story.

And whether we want more kids is another...

If we gave away our picks to GWS, they'd equate to #2 and #9 in next year's draft. They'd be pretty crazy not to take them IMO, given they have to trade these kids anyway.

But I agree, we may have other plans.

And there's also the strong possibility that Scully re-signs anyway. :)

If we gave away our picks to GWS, they'd equate to #2 and #9 in next year's draft. They'd be pretty crazy not to take them IMO, given they have to trade these kids anyway.

But I agree, we may have other plans.

And there's also the strong possibility that Scully re-signs anyway. :)

The picks are based on Melbourne and where we finish, not GWS.

It's like the Ablett compo.

It's based on the club that has received them, not the team that trades for them.