GWS

Guest milpod

Tell that to the crowds who turned out for the ticker tape parade following the Swans premiership win in 2005 (the NRL premier has never been given such a reception). Tell that to the Lord Mayor who presented the Swans team with the key to the city and who had the Swans flag flown on top of the Harbour Bridge for the week following the win.

Agree with a lot of your sentiments, but that is just uninformed.

I think the key phrase you are missing from my post is is "Band Wagon Supporters"

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people that are happy to "expand the game" at Melbourne's expense are taking their eyes off the prize.

Huh?

Who is saying that?

It is at all clubs expense. They are bringing these teams in as 'equally' as possible when it comes to the other teams.

I have my eyes on the prize.

Huh?

Who is saying that?

It is at all clubs expense. They are bringing these teams in as 'equally' as possible when it comes to the other teams.

I have my eyes on the prize.

You are probably right that it is equal for all clubs, but if Tom leaves then the cost to start up GWS start up will be at Melbourne's expense.

How did Richmond manage to sign Martin so soon and avoid all this!?!?

Edited by Mac7

You are probably right that it is equal for all clubs, but if Tom leaves then the cost to start up GWS start up will be at Melbourne's expense.

Martin's manager isn't as good Scully's?

I don't think we should make this a "why can't we keep our players while others keep theirs" merry-go-round.

We got Trengove to throw away the two year automatic contract in favour of a three year deal?

The MFC can keep its players happy because they are at the MFC.

Perhaps it's because players aren't robots and nor are their managers, so each individual (and combination) will think and operate differently?

Noting that Richmond signed Martin and we're yet to sign Scully, then drawing the conclusion that therefore MFC=crap and RFC=good is a mega long bow.

Perhaps it's because players aren't robots and nor are their managers, so each individual (and combination) will think and operate differently?

Noting that Richmond signed Martin and we're yet to sign Scully, then drawing the conclusion that therefore MFC=crap and RFC=good is a mega long bow.

Hahaha that is not what I meant at all!!! I think the MFC is completely professional and a place that players these days would choose to play at. The way the club has handled this situation shows this.

All I was doing in mentioning Martin is how frustrating it is that they don't have to deal with this situation.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a-giant-pain-for-traditional-clubs/story-e6frf9ox-1226085854523

Great article by Mark Stevens. Underlines my stance in this thread and why I am incredulous about anyone who wants to see GW$ succeed.

Quoting:

"There has been a certain level of excitement about the launches of GWS and the Suns. New colours, new logos, fancy jumpers ... and the gullible, and easily led, might fall for it. But the reality is, if you are a supporter of a traditional Victorian club, an 18-team competition makes it harder to finally win a flag."

"There is every chance the Suns and GWS will win a flag before St Kilda, the Bulldogs and Melbourne jag their drought-breaking next one."

Think about that before you go getting all giddy and excited about the national expansion of the AFL.

Guest milpod

Still doesn't mean they will survive by themselves in 10-15 years...This is the part that concerns me. How much money will have been wasted by then???

People will attend things with a freebie, sure.

But when will they dig into their own Greenery....I have never given a cent to the Melbourne Storm & i quite like them.

The AFL have mentioned twice,which I have heard that GWS is a 70 year plan.Surmise yourself the resources involved and at what expense to the heartland.

Those diplomatic MFC supporters wishing them well,fail to realise every concession given, makes it all the more difficult for struggling Melbourne clubs.Port Adelaide,from a footy state with a recent flag,is a basket case.How much will the next round of TV rights need to be to prop up all the failed ventures?

I'm far from against the national comp. just it's ill conceived roll out.

I think the key phrase you are missing from my post is is "Band Wagon Supporters"

And I think that what you are failing to understand is that there are many passionate AFL followers in Sydney. I really do not like this "band wagon" term, as it all has to start somewhere. Who were the first Richmond supporters, or the first Carlton supporters etc? They were the people that lived in those areas... where they just band wagon jumpers? I don't think so. And it is no different for new clubs forming in new AFL territories. Another benefit for those of us in Sydney that follow other clubs (obviously the Dees in my case), more clubs here means more opportunities to see our clubs in action.

Not directed at you Mac7, but these comments about more clubs meaning less chance for the Dees to take home the silverware are absolute defeatist rubbish. If we are good enough it will make no difference and if anything, it will make the taste of success sweeter. An expanded competition hasn't stopped Geelong or Collingwood or Carlton etc from doing well. I've been waiting for as long as the other "veterans" on this site and I have absolutely no qualms about us having to prove ourselves in an expanded competition; particularly when we have what I think is our best looking and most balanced group of players in a long long time.

Edited by hardtack

These smug pricks remind me of essendon already.They say it is a 70 year plan to win hearts and minds in a place AFL is despised.This project is a waste of resources,while fracturing and raping the heartland.

I hate them already.Port in an footy state after a flag,are a basket case.I may not live to see a MFC flag,but I do hope to see this blight on our game FAIL.Hopefully quickly enough to rechannel the resources to deserving clubs/states.

Thoughts?

Couldn't agree more. Graeme Allan's performance on The Footy Show was one of the most smug performances I've ever seen. "We'll win a premiership in 2015 or 2016..." Keep dreaming pal.

I can't wait to [censored] this mob.

And I think that what you are failing to understand is that there are many passionate AFL followers in Sydney. I really do not like this "band wagon" term, as it all has to start somewhere. Who were the first Richmond supporters, or the first Carlton supporters etc? They were the people that lived in those areas... where they just band wagon jumpers? I don't think so. And it is no different for new clubs forming in new AFL territories. Another benefit for those of us in Sydney that follow other clubs (obviously the Dees in my case), more clubs here means more opportunities to see our clubs in action.

Not directed at you Mac7, but these comments about more clubs meaning less chance for the Dees to take home the silverware are absolute defeatist rubbish. If we are good enough it will make no difference and if anything, it will make the taste of success sweeter. An expanded competition hasn't stopped Geelong or Collingwood or Carlton etc from doing well. I've been waiting for as long as the other "veterans" on this site and I have absolutely no qualms about us having to prove ourselves in an expanded competition; particularly when we have what I think is our best looking and most balanced group of players in a long long time.

The term bandwagon supporters is used to show that they were all there in 05-06, but where are they now? I live in Sydney too, and work as a Barista. I had people everywhere claiming long term Swans supportership in 05-06, and all off to the Tickertape parade, but a fair majority of them are nowhere to be seen now. Yes there is still a decent core of people who are as passionate as many Melbourne fans, but as to whether there is enough AFL support for another team is a different question entirely. As a 70 year plan it will work, but how much resources will be funnelled to prop up this venture, when there are other clubs out there which are already struggling.

Guest 36DD

Did anyone manage to catch the full interview with Gubby Allan on the Sunday Footy Show?

Watched most of the show but seemed to have missed it, was it pulled?

The term bandwagon supporters is used to show that they were all there in 05-06, but where are they now? I live in Sydney too, and work as a Barista. I had people everywhere claiming long term Swans supportership in 05-06, and all off to the Tickertape parade, but a fair majority of them are nowhere to be seen now. Yes there is still a decent core of people who are as passionate as many Melbourne fans, but as to whether there is enough AFL support for another team is a different question entirely. As a 70 year plan it will work, but how much resources will be funnelled to prop up this venture, when there are other clubs out there which are already struggling.

No offence intended, but I notice you live in Terrigal which is hardly the heartland of Sydney - and I would hardly think that being a barrista necessarily qualifies you as being in a position of having your finger on the pulse of sporting trends in the city of Sydney.

I live in the inner west, right in the middle of the Canterbury bulldogs territory, and I can assure you, there is also a solid AFL following - this is gleaned by talking to fellow parents at the local schools my sons attend and generally mixing with people living in the area. I have also worked with a number of people who have played in Sydney based AFL leagues in their younger days.

I also base my observations of having lived in the area for the past 3 decades and having seen the steady growth of AFL here over that time since the Swans arrived. Sure there were plenty who jumped on the bandwagon when the Swans were doing well, and jumped off just as quickly when they weren't... but lets face it, where are the Dees supporters in Melbourne when we aren't doing well? Are you telling me attendances don't jump when we are performing well and don't drop off when we are going badly?

My point is that the Bandwagon is not the exclusive domain of NSW based AFL supporters and I don't see it as being an impediment to the growth of AFL here by the addition of a second Sydney based team.

Edited by hardtack

No offence intended, but I notice you live in Terrigal which is hardly the heartland of Sydney - and I would hardly think that being a barrista necessarily qualifies you as being in a position of having your finger on the pulse of sporting trends in the city of Sydney.

I live in the inner west, right in the middle of the Canterbury bulldogs territory, and I can assure you, there is also a solid AFL following - this is gleaned by talking to fellow parents at the local schools my sons attend and generally mixing with people living in the area. I have also worked with a number of people who have played in Sydney based AFL leagues in their younger days.

I also base my observations of having lived in the area for the past 3 decades and having seen the steady growth of AFL here over that time since the Swans arrived. Sure there were plenty who jumped on the bandwagon when the Swans were doing well, and jumped off just as quickly when they weren't... but lets face it, where are the Dees supporters in Melbourne when we aren't doing well? Are you telling me attendances don't jump when we are performing well and don't drop off when we are going badly?

My point is that the Bandwagon is not the exclusive domain of NSW based AFL supporters and I don't see it as being an impediment to the growth of AFL here by the addition of a second Sydney based team.

I have lived in Darlinghurst, Stanmore, Elizabeth Bay and Potts Point for the last 11 years, and only moved to Terrigal a couple months ago. And working as a Barista means that am in a position where I talk to hundreds of different people every single day from every walk of life. I talk to my customers at length about sport and especially footy, so I think that my view on these things has a broader base than most. I know there is quite a solid base in Sydney for one team. What I question is whether there is enough for the two. As I also said, over 70 years it will work, my issue is that this means there will be a very large drain on resources for quite some time to come. I know there are bandwagon supporters for every team, but it is more of an issue in areas with smaller support bases. Note the crowds in Brissy now compared to a few years back. And another thing, I am giving my opinion based on my experience in Sydney. If you have had a different experience then good for you. Doesn't change my experience though.

Did anyone manage to catch the full interview with Gubby Allan on the Sunday Footy Show?

Watched most of the show but seemed to have missed it, was it pulled?

Barrett said yesterday on MMM that due to time restrictions on today's show that they have put off showing the whole interview til next weeks show.

Guest 36DD

Barrett said yesterday on MMM that due to time restrictions on today's show that they have put off showing the whole interview til next weeks show.

cheers mate

Maybe the interview didn't go down as well as they would have like it too...... :lol:

Guest 36DD

Maybe the interview didn't go down as well as they would have like it too...... :lol:

Yeh I thought it were a little strange. They certainly gave the Ess v Gee match extensive coverage, with Melksham and Hunt both on the panel, usually its just the one player from the game.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was pulled or is to be tweaked, we are dealing with Vlad and Co.

Since this whole issue is full of rumour and innuendo without substance I will add to it. It has been circulating that Martin will be on 700-800K per year at Richmond ! Wow if it is true

Guest hangon007

It has been circulating that Martin will be on 700-800K per year at Richmond ! Wow if it is true

Yeah but he is not. Dont worry about the BS $$$$ ... you have to consider the underlying. Point is he is signed sealed and safe. But some missed that from the very start.

More importantly,what is the GWS club song to be I suggest Tina Turner's Tramps and theives

Ike sold Tina to Sonny and the song got released by Cher.